My first mod demo! "The Argon incident"(WIP) V0.1

Apr 20, 2016 at 12:35 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Hello everyone! just finished the demo for my first mod currently called "The Argon Incident".
It is a very early demo so not much stuff only about 6 maps. There is not much story as of yet, but it starts with a member of the OSG (Official Space Guard) who receives a distress call form a OSG lab entitled the Argon Labs.....

-Deleted unnecessary files
-Made the save points more accessible
-Fixed a bug with a door after the first boss
-Fixed a bug with the life capsule
-Fixed a bug with the HV not working in map 4
-Made this page a lot better, also finally got a name for this mod.

Special thanks to Goerge Bobicles for making the character sprite.

Also remember this is early work-in progress so expect stuff like the title screen to be unchanged.

Screenshots!
upload_2016-4-20_15-16-46.pngupload_2016-4-20_15-17-29.pngupload_2016-4-20_15-18-6.png

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2016 at 1:52 AM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Screenshots encourage users to download your mod. Why not add a few?

Apr 20, 2016 at 5:34 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
so I've played it I haven't gotten very far yet. from what I have played it has very good level design and an expert use of tiling while is very nice. my only real complaint is that save spots were a little hard to come by. and playing through the first area and dying makes you have to go through the whole intro sequence.

Apr 20, 2016 at 11:49 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Looking forward to it!

Apr 20, 2016 at 1:24 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'm without my computer currently, which means I can't really do any mod archiving/other actual work until I get it back. In the meantime I'll play some newer mods instead :chin:
Notes:
-I actually like what you did with the Gravekeepers in the first area once I figured out how to lead and position them.
-I don't think the first stretch is too long, however it would be nice if the first save were less dangerous to reach.
-The door visibly disappears during the Carl fight, but the event is still active if you interact with the tile, letting you leave during/after the fight which obviously messes things up somewhat.
-Speaking of, the fight gets really slow if the gun levels down to 1, which can easily happen after one or two hits, particularly considering it's not possible to go back after saving there. An exp capsule could help, as could fiddling with the weapon stats if you're game (in BL). Otherwise very clever use of the water as an environmental hazard to spice up the battle.
-Make sure to check you have <KEYs for all of your doors :pignon:
Aside from those things I really like the design so far! Won't say a lot yet because I'd like to see where this goes from here. All signs are pointing in the right direction so far, though.

Apr 20, 2016 at 1:29 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Some screenshots...

p214525-0-zwm.png

p214525-1-omi.png

p214525-2-aui.png

Apr 20, 2016 at 8:15 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Screenshots encourage users to download your mod. Why not add a few?
Meant to add some was late at night nd didn't have enough time to search for the screenshot's folder on my pc.

so I've played it I haven't gotten very far yet. from what I have played it has very good level design and an expert use of tiling while is very nice. my only real complaint is that save spots were a little hard to come by. and playing through the first area and dying makes you have to go through the whole intro sequence.
Yes Ill add a save at the start of the second map, and ill move the save point in map 4 to make it easier to get it without dieing.

Might wanna delete the Profile.dat and the Manual folder from you mod directory for future releases.
Got it.

-I actually like what you did with the Gravekeepers in the first area once I figured out how to lead and position them.
-I don't think the first stretch is too long, however it would be nice if the first save were less dangerous to reach.
On it.

The door visibly disappears during the Carl fight, but the event is still active if you interact with the tile, letting you leave during/after the fight which obviously messes things up somewhat.
This is interesting, earlier on in development, I meant for the door to be accesable during and after the fight, but then I scrapped that idea completely and forgot about it.
Gonna fix that.

Speaking of, the fight gets really slow if the gun levels down to 1, which can easily happen after one or two hits, particularly considering it's not possible to go back after saving there. An exp capsule could help, as could fiddling with the weapon stats if you're game (in BL).
I am gonna add some minor enemies like pignons to the area, then I'm gonna give them slightly increased exp drops. Fun fact, I develop the game in CE because I like Ce better, but I use BL to edit some things and make maps.

-Make sure to check you have <KEYs for all of your doors
<3

Aside from those things I really like the design so far! Won't say a lot yet because I'd like to see where this goes from here. All signs are pointing in the right direction so far, though.
:)

Some screenshots...
Thank you very much, I will use these.

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:28 PM
"Huzzah!"
Found some stuff:

upload_2016-4-20_16-25-1.png

Nahhhhh officer, I didn't cheat! You see, the silly little modder forgot to make the life capsule dissapear after you get it the first time. So I was just able to go to the Docking port, come back and reload the map, then grab the life capsule as many times as I wanted!

upload_2016-4-20_16-27-58.png

You see that hole in the middle? If you fall in it, the falling death event doesn't run, might want to do something about it.

Oh, hey! Will these be fixed in v0.2? I hope they already are.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2016 at 10:31 PM
Shit, how do I get it to disappear after the first time? Also gonna fix that second bug.
(I do extensive play-testing to avoid this kinds of things yet they always seep right through.)

Yea every single fixable bug I know about will be fixed in the next version of the game whether it be V2, V3, V5000.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2016 at 10:39 PM
"Huzzah!"
Shit, how do I get it to disappear? after the first time. Also gonna fix that second bug

Select the entity, set it's flagID, and also set the "No appear if flagID is set". Now, if the flag is set, then the item won't appear again if the map is reloaded.

So let's say that the life capsule flagID is 2000
If I set flag 2000 (with the tsc command <FL+2000)
Then it won't appear again, just set the flag during the life capsule event.

As for the second problem, H/V triggers can't go through walls, so just put another H/V trigger there with the falling death event.

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:43 PM
Holy shit I never knew the second thing even existed. Thanks a lot.

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:55 PM
I use CE lol also just fixed the bugs you mentioned.

Apr 23, 2016 at 3:05 PM
Catz R cool
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"..."
I use CE lol also just fixed the bugs you mentioned.
Um, hey... Just out of curiosity, what editor are you using for this mod?

I opened it up in Booster's Lab, and this was the script for the room with the life capsule.
View attachment 2915
Yeah, that's an issue with Scriptsource files in BL that I pointed out to Noxid a while earlier, but he wouldn't bother to fix it...

Apr 23, 2016 at 3:52 PM
Yeah, that's an issue with Scriptsource files in BL that I pointed out to Noxid a while earlier, but he wouldn't bother to fix it...
Yea, I remember one time I was working on this same mod CE, then I opened the script in Bl, and bam all of the script disappeared. I would have more done on V0.1 if it didn't disappear like that.

Apr 23, 2016 at 4:59 PM
Catz R cool
"..."
Alright, now for some comments on this mod.
Okay. The mod itself is pretty good, but you might want to make the Gravekeepers less dodgy, as they will freeze there for eternity if you stand under them, and be invincible as well. Since you made them solid, you can't even go through them now!
Maybe try to limit yourself on those 'Machine' blocks in your maps; they don't really fit in.
A few bugs:
What.PNG
You can stand on an invisible entity in screenshot 1.Huh.PNG Okay.PNG

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2016 at 6:27 PM
shit
holy shit
I might have mixed WIP 2.0 version with the current version.
See after the carl boss the demos I supposed to end and you should n't be able to reach that last map...
Nother thing I need to fix.. ughh

Also, what do you mean by the machine blocks, the broken robots things? If that's it yea ill do that.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2016 at 2:03 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
shit
holy shit
I might have mixed WIP 2.0 version with the current version.
See after the carl boss the demos I supposed to end and you should n't be able to reach that last map...
Nother thing I need to fix.. ughh

Also, what do you mean by the machine blocks, the broken robots things? If that's it yea ill do that.
So on the broken robot there is an invisible & invincible entity that you can stand on, right before the Carl boss.
I meant that you shouldn't use lift blocks randomly for no reason as not only do they look absurd, they also make you seem like a noob modder!