Dumbest thing you've done during your first playthrough of cave story?

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:50 AM
Off-screen redemption arc
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Getting to the end of Egg Corridor? at 10/11 years old, leaving with Kazuma, and then thinking that Cave Story just had a really sad ending for like two years.

Mar 6, 2016 at 5:22 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I actually can't remember doing anything terribly silly in my first playthrough. Besides the obvious fact that I played it in like 2011 (:momo:), I knew about the game's best ending and major secrets prior to playing it due to my love of reading and tendency to assume that I'll never get to play games from consoles I don't own.

I do remember spending the majority of a day working on beating the final areas without food, getting up, or doing anything else, though, which was a totally great idea that didn't adversely affect me at all. D:
Yeah, I tend to read about games I probably never will own too........

After I finally beat the core, I left Curly in the house in the Waterway.... Ouch
I had to reset the game :(

Mar 6, 2016 at 9:46 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
taking over 500 tries to beat hell

Mar 7, 2016 at 5:50 PM
I was looking at this thread and thinking, well, I didn't really do anything stupid.
But then I realized I was six when I first played cave story, so the dumbest thing I did when playing cave story was be six.
Also I found the Bubbler on my own, but traded for the machine gun... Doing everything everywhere can help sometimes, and also hurt...

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:31 PM
"Huzzah!"
Playing the Wii demo and assuming that there were no save points in full game.
Despite this, I always died to Basil, trying to get the health capsule.:mad:
I got all the way to the end of Egg Corridor, but I couldn't resist the temptation! Also, I thought Cave Story was a Wii game and thought up ways to buy it with the limited amount of cash I had in those days, until I realized how wrong I was.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2016 at 3:41 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I got my head handed to me by toroko XD

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:40 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I traded the Polar Star for the Machine gun, my original instinct was, cool, a new gun, then I realized it took away my Polar Star. I thought it was a better trade, then I heard about the Spur......

Mar 8, 2016 at 4:36 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I traded the Polar Star for the Machine gun, my original instinct was, cool, a new gun, then I realized it took away my Polar Star. I thought it was a better trade, then I heard about the Spur......
IMO the machine gun is definitely a better trade than the Spur. You get infinite flight early on with the MG (as long as you keep it at level 3), and the spur's damage is rather unimpressive compared to both the blade and the Nemesis. But that infinite flight is incredibly useful.

Mar 8, 2016 at 11:31 PM
"Huzzah!"
IMO the machine gun is definitely a better trade than the Spur. You get infinite flight early on with the MG (as long as you keep it at level 3), and the spur's damage is rather unimpressive compared to both the blade and the Nemesis. But that infinite flight is incredibly useful.

Although I do agree that the machine gun is a better trade, I'm going try to defend the Spur
(sort of...)

One of the best perks the Spur has is its level system. You never have to worry about how much exp you lose because you just hold the button to charge it up(gain exp).

The Blade has an extremely high dps, but that's only at an extremely close range, as in, like 2 pixels. At that range it's very easy to get hit and level down. This thing is meant for bosses, not regular enemies. And most bosses you face after getting the blade are too mobile, or require you to move constantly to avoid damage. So you can never really get the full damage potential out of it.

The Nemesis really is for advanced players. Because it sort of forces the player to dodge exp, which can be annoying most of the time. I mean sure, you can just quickly change your weapon. But if get any exp for the weapon, it simply becomes a lvl 3 polar star, and then just plain shit. This forces the player to damage themselves in order to make the weapon useful again. Although I will say that this weapon would be the best for bosses. This wouldn't be the most optimal weapon for use with bosses that have ads that drop exp.

The Machine gun suffers the level problem. Only the level 3 has the flight ability and decent damage. But if you level down, you not only lose the flight ability, but also some damage and range. This weapon I feel, is meant for going through levels more than fighting bosses.The Spur is better in my opinion, for taking out regular enemies. Cause all you need is to charge it to level 2, the shot has good range and damage, along with the ability to pierce enemies. Something that the machine gun doesn't have.

TL;DR
All these weapons have some sort of drawback/niche to them, whereas the Spur doesn't really have any major drawbacks(aside from the charge rate). Although the Spur doesn't excel at anything in paticular compared to the other weapons. It's a viable weapon for any situation, and that's what makes it a good weapon.

I'm not saying that any of the other weapons are bad either.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2016 at 11:43 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The Spur lazor can pierce enemies, which means that total damage per shot is defined by the number of enemies you can take on at once. There may be a charging time, but that allows you to prepare for the next attack. The Blade however requires more complex xp management and requires you to move close to your enemy to be effective. It also requires that the end user be an effective button masher. Damage per second isn't everything.

Mar 9, 2016 at 1:43 AM
"Huzzah!"
The Spur lazor can pierce enemies, which means that total damage per shot is defined by the number of enemies you can take on at once. There may be a charging time, but that allows you to prepare for the next attack. The Blade however requires more complex xp management and requires you to move close to your enemy to be effective. It also requires that the end user be an effective button masher. Damage per second isn't everything.

Oh yeah, another good thing about it is that it allows you to move/dodge while it charges.

Les be honest tho, we all know that Fireball is best weapon.

Mar 21, 2016 at 11:24 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Heh. I did everything to get to hell except that when I shoved the Ma Pignon in Curly's mouth, I forgot to talk to her a 3rd time and get the Iron Bond... Later I sat in front of the prefab building dodging boulders and being like WHY?!?!? WHY ARE YOU LOCKED

Mar 26, 2016 at 9:58 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Dying on the first spike to the left in first cave

Mar 26, 2016 at 10:30 PM
Dying on the first spike to the left in first cave
We have ALL done that (except for the people who watched a playthrough first/knew how jumping worked)

Mar 27, 2016 at 6:32 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
We have ALL done that (except for the people who watched a playthrough first/knew how jumping worked)
Reminds me of Star Evil from Action 52, the first obstacle is the first everything dies too unless you know ahead of time.

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:18 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I think the dumbest thing I did on my first playthrough was step on the first spike i saw because i thought it was something i could pick up. Most spikes i've seen in games look somewhat different from the cave story ones heh.

Apr 20, 2016 at 12:01 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
*frustrated sigh* WELL, once upon a time, within my very first, fairly blind Cave Story play-through, armed only with the knowledge of the best ending, I made the oh-so naive move of turning in the Polar Star in exchange for Curly's Machine Gun, COMPLETELY oblivious to the fact that I could've exchanged said weapon for something far more powerful, (in reference to both the snake and/or Spur). *burrows head into pillow whilst tears stream down face*

Last edited: