How the Demon Crown works

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I've always wondered why the Doctor needed the Red Crystal to fight you when he had the "limitless power" provided by the Crown. Well, now I've got it.

Think about it. It's stated that Misery forced Ballos to create the crown for her own ends.Then why would she need "powerful magic" when she already possesses powerful magic of her own? My theory is that the Demon Crown's power lies not in brute magical strength but in control.Since it is a construct of Ballos' will, it probably rejected Misery as its wearer (which is one of the reasons why Misery doesn't wear a crown: the other being that a little albino girl wearing an eye-box thing looks ridiculous)

The only beings confirmed so far to have been linked with the Crown are Misery and Balrog. It is also implied in-game that the Crown controls the Frenzied Mimigas, which is how the Doctor is able to infect Mimigas without worrying about his own safety. I also think that the Crown affects its slaves physically. (The game also implies that Misery's aging was stopped by the Crown, though maybe this was also part of Ballos' curse) Balrog may have been the first (or at least an early) slave of the crown, which is how he got turned into a bat-soap bar-toaster thing.

Jan 8, 2012 at 9:57 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Exactly what the Demon Crown was created for, is a Pixel mystery©, although I agree partly with what you said about how the Demon Crown is used to control some things. Here's more :

The powers of the Crown :
-teleportation
-levitation
-summoning creatures
-shooting projectiles
-control creatures affected by the red flower
-control Misery and Balrog
-using Ballos like Lightning strikes

More importantly, most likely :
-Control of the island, its movement, its functions probably

But its original function could likely have been :
-Revenge against the world
-To Safely Control Ballos' Magic
-For another purpose, tricked by Halda
-To try to Save Ballos' Mind
-Or to just Control the Island

Also, if Misery had Ballos make the Crown for herself, it is likely; the Crown took on its own form after it turned on her.
Also, we don't know if the Crown turned on Misery right away or not. There's a chance it could have worked for a while, before becoming the Demon Crown. Everything is uncertain...

Some details :
Does it control Ballos' magic? Yes, likely.

Frenzied Mimigas are controlled by the Demon Crown
Frenzied Mimigas are created by the Demon Flower
Frenzied Mimigas are restored by destroying the Core
Destroying the Core seems to cause Ballos' negative power to run wild

Point being, Frenzied Mimigas are created by a byproduct of Ballos' Magic, and the Crown can control it.

PERHAPS, the Crown can only control the scattered powers of Ballos on the island, like the Flowers, or the Core to move the island; But, it is unable to tap DIRECTLY into Ballos unlimited power.
If you get too close to the event horizon you can no longer control it anymore!

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:44 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I always thought the demon crown channels the power of Ballos to the wearer and the Red Crystal is a mere enhancer of power. Now I guess I was mistaken, because that would mean the Doctor was more powerful than Ballos, what he wasn't... hmm...think...

Jan 10, 2012 at 4:44 AM
Indie game enthusiast
trickybilly said:
I always thought the demon crown channels the power of Ballos to the wearer and the Red Crystal is a mere enhancer of power. Now I guess I was mistaken, because that would mean the Doctor was more powerful than Ballos, what he wasn't... hmm...think...
I think you're right, pretty much... except the Doctor isn't as powerful.
Think of it like this :
Ballos is the nuclear material of a power plant going fusion.
The Demon Crown is an electrical socket hooked up to that sorta.

The Core is like a nuclear power plant.
The Red Crystal is a nuclear battery.
The Red Flower is like radiation.

At least that's the theory.

Mixer8421 said:
"I'm Mixer8421, and I approve this message."
a true politictian lol <3

Jan 10, 2012 at 12:11 PM
"Huzzah!"
For the purposes of keeping my mod accurate, would the red flowers be harmless/eradicated after Ballos and the Core and the Demon Crown were destroyed?

Jan 10, 2012 at 12:13 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Frenzied Mimigas are restored by destroying the Core

Uh...the Core is a completely separate entity. It doesn't affect the Frenzied Mimigas in any way. The reason why it is stated to be able to stop the Frenzied Mimigas and the Doctor is because if it is destroyed, the island falls and BAM! No more Mimigas and no more Doctor.

^ Hmm...probably not. I don't write canon here, so it's just a guess.

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:10 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
I believe the Red Flowers are related to Ballos (and the Demon Crown, itself) somehow.
Though, if you "destroy" one of them, the Demon Crown will have no use, whatsoever. (Except for the side-abilities, such as levitation and all that stuff.)

Jan 10, 2012 at 7:54 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Uh...the Core is a completely separate entity. It doesn't affect the Frenzied Mimigas in any way. The reason why it is stated to be able to stop the Frenzied Mimigas and the Doctor is because if it is destroyed, the island falls and BAM! No more Mimigas and no more Doctor.

^ Hmm...probably not. I don't write canon here, so it's just a guess.
Just a quick quote from Kazuma :
Truth be told...
There is one way you can-
change the Mimiga back into-
their original state.
Destroy the island's core.
But the island may collapse-
if you do destroy the core.
Is it too dangerous a choice-
for you to make?

EDIT :
For the purposes of keeping my mod accurate, would the red flowers be harmless/eradicated after Ballos and the Core and the Demon Crown were destroyed?
Unknown... if the Red Flower's effects fade after the core is destroyed, I might assume they would too

I would assume the same with Ballos? Unless the Core really is producing something completely seperate from Ballos' magic, even though the effects seem remarably similar;and have some cause and effect (Like island falling/stopping)

They might be still be there, the flowers, but not as dangerous?

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:20 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Bumping an old thread without due acknowledgement
Wait, after you kill Ballos, is the Demon Crown destroyed?

Feb 28, 2016 at 3:21 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
I'd like to think so, but in reality I think the "negative energy" in it is just weakened. (Enough to stop the island from falling.)
Thanks, because the Demon Crown is very important in my mod. (It takes place after Best Ending; so if it was destroyed, my mod's story would not be relevant)