What's Your Favourite Programming Language?

What's your favourite programming language?

• Assembly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ActionScript

• BASIC

• C#

• Qbasic

• R

• Visual Basic

• Zeno

• Lua

• Total voters
Jan 17, 2016 at 6:46 AM
Part-Time Perfectionist
Pixel Cut-Content Discord Admin
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I want to know:
What's your favourite programming language?
And if you have the time... Please tell me why.

Me personally? I like C.
Why? Because I've never literally burst into tears trying to use it.
Least favourite?
I don't like JavaScript but Java is the one that's given me the most pain.

P.S. No Web Programming Languages, sorry.

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:51 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Didn't we have this thread before or something not to long ago

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:35 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Java. Why?

...uhhh, it's the only language I know, besides C#. And I've only ever used C# for scripts.

Jan 17, 2016 at 8:08 PM
"Huzzah!"
No web site languages???

But HTML5 and css's are the only one's I'm relatively good at! :toroko2:

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:30 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I enjoy using GML, it works fantastically for my (current) needs and ports incredibly well.

I have had tried to use other languages (C++), but finding references is convoluted and a messed up jumble; even after I learn how to use a function, the information often/sometimes barely matches up with my understanding of it.

Jan 17, 2016 at 10:01 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
well, I guess I had to vote for Java out of the options available. Hiino is going to probably mock me for it but I'm not a lvl 16 functional programming wizard and i've been using Java long enough to be aware of all the tricks and all the gotchas. Maybe C# if Mono wasn't such a PITA and I had more opportunity to use it. Java is just my goto for simple shit. Also I need it for my job but that might change if Google moves Android to Go

languages I've used that I do not like:
Python
PHP
C++

also mfw there are 3 different flavours of BASIC on the list. Wanna include COBOL too, dad

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2016 at 10:22 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Also I need it for my job but that might change if Google moves Android to Go
Highly unlikely; Google is going to move over to using Dart. In fact, it's going to replace Java and JavaScript in a two-pronged attack, ridding us of those abominations in a single package!

Jan 17, 2016 at 10:39 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Highly unlikely; Google is going to move over to using Dart. In fact, it's going to replace Java and JavaScript in a two-pronged attack, ridding us of those abominations in a single package!
i'm sorry, but I literally can't tell if you're being sarcastic right now

Jan 17, 2016 at 10:53 PM
i'm sorry, but I literally can't tell if you're being sarcastic right now
No worries, I was being serious about it.
I discovered it when I was reading up on why Android apps are limited to 60 FPS. Dart on Android is called 'Sky' (because screw sensible naming schemes) by the way.

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:30 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
No worries, I was being serious about it.
I discovered it when I was reading up on why Android apps are limited to 60 FPS. Dart on Android is called 'Sky' (because screw sensible naming schemes) by the way.
hm. I thought Dart was dead in the water after they decided to axe it from being included in Chrome.
Well, I do know that there was also talk of using Go to write native Android applications a while back so I guess we'll just have to wait and see how everything pans out.

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:50 PM
hm. I thought Dart was dead in the water after they decided to axe it from being included in Chrome.
Well, I do know that there was also talk of using Go to write native Android applications a while back so I guess we'll just have to wait and see how everything pans out.
Dart for the web isn't fully dead...they just decided to make it compile to Javascript. >_> (because also screw fixing fundamental problems)
That said, there isn't anything stopping from replacing JavaScript with Dart. Dart apps will still compile into its native code alongside JS.

EDIT~ I shouldn't have ruled out Go without batting an eye, as I see some Google developers have been pushing for it. From what I've seen though, I think Dart seems to be more likely as Google developers made it, and have already made a working demo using Sky. It's still a close call either way.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2016 at 11:52 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Dart for the web isn't fully dead...they just decided to make it compile to Javascript. >_> (because also screw fixing fundamental problems)
That said, there isn't anything stopping from replacing JavaScript with Dart. Dart apps will still compile into its native code alongside JS.
there's already a hundred things that compile to JS, so adding one more to the pile probably won't gain a lot of traction outside some niche users/enthusiasts. It's a nice gesture but doesn't do much to solve the core problem of "Javascript is web"

Jan 18, 2016 at 3:01 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I don't have enough experience to really say which one is my favorite, to be honest. ~o.o~

I think that I like C++ more than Java, though?

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:54 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Once again my answer is PHP.

Although I have a liking for gameboy-style z80 assembly. It's so well documented and easy to follow.

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:48 PM
The Preacher
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
As far as language designs themselves go, my favorite has to be OCaML. But since its standard library is a bit weak at the knees (and it doesn't have a very good dedicated IDE and debugger), I will often use F# instead.
I used to like Scala the most, but the JVM is too much of a pain for me to keep enjoying it. Scala is still the one I am the most experienced in.
I kinda like Ruby and C# as well.

Languages I don't like: mostly Javascript, Java, PHP and C++.