Robot arms

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:53 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
So think about robot arms. I played deus ex 4 a while back and in that game you play as a guy who was born with regular arms like so many of us. However, at one point in the game, his regular arms are replaced with robot arms that are super good at killing people. Some people don't like robot arms and think they should be illegal or at least have to play at their own special Olympics.
My question is, if someone offered to replace your arms with robot arms would you say yes and why or why not.

Dec 20, 2015 at 3:53 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I'd say it really depends on the robot arms: Do they still allow you to feel touch? Are they just as dextrous as normal arms?

In the end though, I'd still stick with my good 'ol arms. There's just that semantical value attached to them.

Dec 20, 2015 at 3:59 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Well for discussions sake let's say the technology is advanced enough that they perform "as well or better" than human arms in most aspects.

Dec 20, 2015 at 4:49 AM
Been here way too long...
Robot arms sound hard to break, so I'd probably get them. To avoid breaking my arms. Not that I worry about my arms breaking all the time, but having one less facet of our frail nature to worry about would be worth it.
I'm even assuming that muscle memory would have to be relearned. Typing, gaming, playing an instrument, etc. I'd spend years getting back to my previous level, but it would be worth it because I'd be able to do those things well into old age. No broken bones, no arthritis, no whatever else can happen to your arms.
You'd also think that you could punch harder, but what if your punch victim has a robotic face? You are not guaranteed to have a punch advantage.

Dec 20, 2015 at 5:12 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
I'd agree to it if certain conditions are met
-they work just as well as regular arms (I still retain feeling and motor skills) if not better
-if I can choose the time that I receive them (after any arm removing incident)
-if it was free of charge and obligation (I ain't a killer, and I don't intend to be in debt for the rest of my life just to have fancy arms)

Dec 20, 2015 at 5:03 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Even if the arms were free, I'd stick with my own arms until they become damaged or start causing problems.

Dec 20, 2015 at 8:52 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I'd agree to it if certain conditions are met
-they work just as well as regular arms (I still retain feeling and motor skills) if not better
-if I can choose the time that I receive them (after any arm removing incident)
-if it was free of charge and obligation (I ain't a killer, and I don't intend to be in debt for the rest of my life just to have fancy arms)

Same here, but I would want them to also have a few special features:
-I want them to be able to split like General Grievous' so I can wield four swords menacingly. And carry many things at once.
-I want them to come equipped with a built-in smart phone so I'd never lose a phone again.

Dec 20, 2015 at 9:31 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I see freedom from pain or disease, and the possibility to do things previously unthinkable (like petting the belly of a cat) to be worth the price of admission of drastic elective surgery. Assuming I could afford it. Relearning motor skills would be awkward but I've got plenty of years left in me. And imagine if you could have like.. specialized hands.
p210617-0-swqhuwd.gif

shitposting will never be the same

even punching isn't guaranteed to have a strict advantage against all faces you're still going to have the upper hand compared to a regular meatie.

Dec 20, 2015 at 9:36 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
the possibility to do things previously unthinkable (like petting the belly of a cat)

I have a cat that actually enjoys belly rubs. It's sort of amazing.

Dec 20, 2015 at 9:38 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Dec 21, 2015 at 1:55 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I have a cat that actually enjoys belly rubs. It's sort of amazing.
I have some cats that enjoy belly rubs, some even force you to do it above all else. owo

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:13 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Almost missed this impoortant thread...

This will happen

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:15 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
It depends if I could feel the embrace of a woman with them.

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:38 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Robot arms would need servicing all the time. The problem with robot arms is that they don't heal, and if they did I could use those worker nanobots from my robot arm to rebuild my old arm like it was brand new.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2015 at 2:29 AM
Robot arms would need servicing all the time. The problem with robot arms is that they don't heal, and if they did I could use those worker nanobots from my robot arm to rebuild my old arm like it was brand new.
But what's going to service the nanobots? Picobots?

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:13 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator

I think "all the time" is a bit of an overstatement. I mean, vehicles are overtly complex with many moving parts including fuel that literally explodes, and in a poor climate you can still get at least 10 or 15 years out of a car. Plus if it gets too broke up then idk, get a newer better one. So I don't see maintenance as a huge obstacle.