Which game would you rather see Cave Story cross over with: Shovel Knight, Super Meat Boy or both?

Which game would you rather see Cave Story mixed with?

• Shovel Knight

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Super Meat Boy

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • BOTH AT THE SAME FUCKING TIME

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
Oct 17, 2015 at 5:55 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Cave Story, Shovel Knight and Super Meat Boy definitely have a lot of things in common.

All three of them are freaking godlike 2D platformers in their own unique ways, that's pretty much a given.

All three of them are games with soundtracks that are so fucking amazing that you could pretty much literally play them just to hear the music that they make.

From what I can tell, CS and SMB pretty much share the same jumping physics, except that Quote moves a hell of a lot more slowly and can't wall jump.

All three of them pretty much shaped the current indie game industry as we know it and became ridiculously (in CS's case, downright insanely) beloved and iconic as a result.

In my opinion, CS and SK both have excellent storylines and characters in their own rights.

All three of them also pay simply brilliant homage to classic games of old. If I had to pick two games that each one of them draws the majority of its inspiration from, I'd say this: CS is like Metroid meets Earthbound, SMB is like Mario meets I Wanna Be The Guy, and SK is like Mega Man meets Duck Tales.

Last but not least, all three of them absolutely deserve recognition in Smash Bros, be it playable characters, trophies, stages or even just the music from the games.

The only real problem I can see with this idea is that Super Meat Boy in its later levels, especially their Dark World counterparts, is fucking hard as dinosaur balls. I have literally died over 3,905 fricking times while playing the game on a proper controller, let alone a keyboard, so far.

Therefore, in a crossover's case, SMB's difficulty would probably need to be toned down quite a bit in favor of the storyline. Anyway, what do you think? To me, this is where it stands:

Cave Story has the best storyline,
Shovel Knight has the best gameplay,
Super Meat Boy has the best graphics.

Oct 17, 2015 at 6:18 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
How about neither? I just can't see any of those games having crossovers.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2015 at 6:23 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Cave Story with a touch of Meat Boy would be pretty fun. Turn the difficulty up a notch and add some challenges more suited for walljumping. I would buy something like that. Unfortunately I haven't played Shovel Knight so I can't really comment on that :/
Super Meat Boy has the best graphics.
wat

Oct 17, 2015 at 7:30 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
And Quote finds the fabled "Shovel" from the Plantation. Close combat calls. Amped difficulty, pfft why not.

I'd be willing to play a crossover, but I never really feel the need to mash various "good" games together. Just take them as is.

Oct 17, 2015 at 10:01 PM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
From what I can tell, CS and SMB pretty much share the same jumping physics, except that Quote moves a hell of a lot more slowly and can't wall jump.
Apples and oranges
By pointing out those pretty substantial differences you've already proven that they aren't even similar

Oct 18, 2015 at 5:13 AM
Apples and oranges
By pointing out those pretty substantial differences you've already proven that they aren't even similar

They are both classic retro 2D indie platformers with heavily iconic status in the gaming industry, and they both posess the floatiest of controls.

If we were to see Cave Story and Shovel Knight crossed with each other, however, we could potentially have a game that features two different time periods at the same time, which would be kind of weird but still really cool nonetheless.

Cave Story with a touch of Meat Boy would be pretty fun. Turn the difficulty up a notch and add some challenges more suited for walljumping. I would buy something like that. Unfortunately I haven't played Shovel Knight so I can't really comment on that :/

You should definitely play Shovel Knight. It is essentially to gameplay what Cave Story is to storytelling. And who wouldn't want to play a game with such a fabulous main character? XD

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2015 at 5:37 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
They are both classic retro 2D indie platformers with heavily iconic status in the gaming industry, and they both posess the floatiest of controls.
basic platforming controls really don't make the games similar per say, and they are in no way the floatiest of indie platforms. and smb seams very straight forward compared to CS's metroidvania style.
If we were to see Cave Story and Shovel Knight crossed with each other, however, we could potentially have a game that features two different time periods at the same time, which would be kind of weird but still really cool nonetheless.
doesn't shovel knight take place during the same time period as battle toads? the time difference may be much smaller than you think.
And who wouldn't want to play a game with such a fabulous main character? XD
wat...he's neat and all, I guess?

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:13 AM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
The first point bears no relevance whatsoever to jump physics, and that's a fairly common moniker a lot of indie games have by this point
And with the second point I could make the argument that any game with floaty controls is 'pretty much the same' in regards to physics as Cave Story

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:55 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I'd be willing to play a crossover, but I never really feel the need to mash various "good" games together. Just take them as is.
Though there are some awesome mash-ups out there...if you can find them that is ^_^;

Oct 20, 2015 at 2:59 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I'm really curious to see Cave Story characters in Nuclear Throne, or vice versa.

Oct 20, 2015 at 12:56 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I'm really curious to see Cave Story characters in Nuclear Throne, or vice versa.
I haven't played Nuclear Throne, (It looks so cool! And who wouldn't want to play as YZ? XD ) and having Quote would be pretty darn interesting, but what would his speciality be?

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:29 PM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I haven't played Nuclear Throne, (It looks so cool! And who wouldn't want to play as YZ? XD ) and having Quote would be pretty darn interesting, but what would his speciality be?
I think his special might relate to the Iron Bond, for example, summon invincible Curly Brace to fight with him (attached to his back, can shield attacks from the back) for the cost of halved health. I was thinking about the jet pack, but it might be too similar to fish's roll.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2015 at 7:45 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Cave story and meat boy just don't feel similar enough to cross over. I could see shovel knight, simply for the fact it has a retro artstyle. But other than the genre they share, cave story and meat boy have nothing in common. I prefer super meat boy over shovel knight but i just cant see them together.

Nov 13, 2015 at 1:36 PM
Nov 13, 2015 at 1:39 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Critical thinking over your own projects is imperative in order to improve.

Nov 13, 2015 at 2:46 PM
Critical thinking over your own projects is imperative in order to improve.

I have definitely legit amazed myself with this one, though. Yes, there are a few minor flaws here and there, but the dynamic between the characters is...something else, to say the least, the humor is top-notch, and the environments that the characters are thrown into in the course of their adventure surprised even ME at times. Honestly, I'm not going to spoil the last area, because it's just too frickin' cool for me to do that.

Basically,
you get to see the final battles from both Ocarina Of Time AND Cave Story, both in the same giant flying island fortress made out of computers. And the latter takes place INSIDE the freaking fortress.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2015 at 3:51 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You're missing the point of critical analysis. Practice new things, look at how others write/draw/compose/etc. Steal methods from people. Ask people how your work can be better. At some point you start to more naturally think about the flaws in your work and that will help you overcome skill barriers.
I always find huge flaws in my work when it's finished. I FUCKING HATE IT and it makes me a better artist every time.

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:21 PM
I always find huge flaws in my work when it's finished. I FUCKING HATE IT and it makes me a better artist every time.

I do, too; it's just that I struck a really unexpected gold mine when writing this one. Originally, I literally never thought that the concept was going to work, but somehow, once I actually got to work on it over the past three or four days or so, everything just came together at all of the least expected moments. And it was borderline perfection, despite the fact that I seriously thought I had ran out of ideas every two chapters or so. The characters and environments alone were able to carry it all the way through.

Besides, any story with a worthy parody of this scene has certainly accomplished something in my book.

Last edited: