Should GIRakaCHEEZER be demoted?

• Yes

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • No

Votes: 37 92.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 28, 2015 at 12:16 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Technically lurkers can't vote. Although we can't accept their pseudo-votes anyway, since this matter doesn't affect lurkers.
Maybe it would affect their decision in joining the forums...?

Oct 28, 2015 at 3:00 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
Maybe it would affect their decision in joining the forums...?
in this situation it would be bad to have people who haven't interacted with us yet to make judgments on our moderators

Oct 28, 2015 at 6:20 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
It was a joke guys.

Oct 28, 2015 at 8:24 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I reported you Q3, because you were being an ass to Xander, and now you're trying to cover your tracks as just "looking out for him."

"All of your fanfics are terrible and I doubt you know the meaning of the words in your avatar. You should seek mental help."
Yeah, that definitely sounds like someone who's just looking out for him.
I never claimed that I was "looking out for him". The post that you quoted I made in anger, and I'm not going to stand by it.

Thanks everyone who voted on the poll!
It's a shame there wasn't much discussion regarding the points I raised. I was particularly disappointed with this post.
The community here doesn't seem all that friendly, and I think it would be better if we had one or more new moderators.

I thought maybe joining a new forum would help me become a better person. It just made me sadder.

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:06 AM
Been here way too long...
I never claimed that I was "looking out for him". The post that you quoted I made in anger, and I'm not going to stand by it.

It's a shame there wasn't much discussion regarding the points I raised. I was particularly disappointed with this post.
The community here doesn't seem all that friendly, and I think it would be better if we had one or more new moderators.

I thought maybe joining a new forum would help me become a better person. It just made me sadder.

Maybe next time you should manage your anger better.
Giving you well justified warning was a mean to help you become a better person, instead of trying to improve your behavior, you tried to stop moderator from giving you warning by requesting demotion. That's what made me sad.

Ah... so sad.

Oct 28, 2015 at 11:36 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
It's a shame there wasn't much discussion regarding the points I raised.
Every point you raised has been addressed throughout the course of this thread, unless I have overlooked something.

It's difficult to please everyone :)
Eh? You don't need to please everyone. Why try?

You are clearly passionate about your interests, but you also should not take it to heart when someone's opinions run counter to yours. This is the internet after all.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2015 at 12:00 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
It's difficult to please everyone :)
It is possible to please a lot of people, but the kicker is fully pleasing everyone. [That's the demise of most, if not every, Utopia]

Oct 28, 2015 at 3:38 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

There's wasn't much discussion regarding the points you made? Most of the points you brought up for discussion were immediately addressed in the first 3 replies to this thread by Doors, Camero, and Polar✪.

I was particularly disappointed with this post.

Care to elaborate on why you find this post so disappointing?

Although I don't entirely agree with you about the community not being "friendly", why do think things would be better if we had one or more new moderators? What would that improve?

Oct 28, 2015 at 3:38 PM
Based Member
I'm afraid that if there's a topic that the community doesn't take very seriously, they'll allow the first few replies to directly address the OP's main points, assume that that suffices, and then allow the thread to stray off-topic. Like the others have said, you really hurt your credibility by vindictively starting a topic urging the community to demote an established moderator. If you disapprove of something a user does and want to put them on the spot, then PMing them is much better, because there's nobody to defend them or influence their opinion, and there's generally a lot less bloodshed.

The community here doesn't seem all that friendly... I thought maybe joining a new forum would help me become a better person. It just made me sadder.
Indeed, this is quite a hostile community, and I myself had a very rough experience as a new member. Being here can make you a better person, or it can make you a worse person- it all depends on how you decide to let your experiences affect you. Despite all the drama that can take place, I've always found the discourse and lessons learned by my own and other people's mistakes to be very beneficial and eye-opening. That's a large part of why I'm still around after almost 4 years despite the resentment I still carry towards some users.

I was particularly disappointed with this post.
Don't be too worried if Noxid doesn't take a topic seriously; he generally doesn't take life very seriously.

Oct 28, 2015 at 3:44 PM
Indeed, this is quite a hostile community, and I myself had a very rough experience as a new member.
It isn't just me that I haven't found the community to be hostile though?

Oct 28, 2015 at 3:46 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator

don't worry, I'm used to disappointing people by now.

anyway your stance on this issue still seems pretty one-sided. Clearly you felt like you were slighted or personally attacked, singled out or whatever. It seems that not many people agree. Personally, my feelings toward you would be best described as "ambivalence" and although I didn't disagree with any warning that you received I didn't make the decision to hand any out myself because I'm a bit more lax these days.

My best advice to you is to have a little humility, recognize that we ALL make mistakes, and move on.

Oct 28, 2015 at 5:51 PM
Based Member
I doubt you're the only one who thinks that, and I'm sure there are even some established users who would debate me on my opinion that this community is hostile, but there is undeniably a lot of controversy that has arisen due to established members being too harsh on new members. One trend I've noticed is that users who join and manage to exist outside of the drama (such as yourself), have a tendency to not pick up on the amount of controversy that arises here until some time into their tenure. Things have gotten better over time, but I would still consider this community hostile. My opinion.

Oct 28, 2015 at 6:33 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Personally, I think being part of this community has made me a much better person.
Sure the community may be aggressive sometimes, but in my experience if they are being aggressive towards someone, that person is usually in the wrong.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2015 at 4:02 AM
I don't actually find it hostile, it seems more like an echo chamber. So for someone that doesn't just go along with that, it doesn't seem "friendly".
Example: http://www.cavestory.org/forums/members/polaris.3817/#profile-post-40749
That post specifically mentions friendship. I was hoping to make friends here, but some of the members don't even seem to understand friendship?...

There's wasn't much discussion regarding the points you made? Most of the points you brought up for discussion were immediately addressed in the first 3 replies to this thread by Doors, Camero, and Polar✪.
The thread about infractions clearly states that warnings do not carry points, but that isn't the case.

Care to elaborate on why you find this post so disappointing?
Although I don't entirely agree with you about the community not being "friendly", why do think things would be better if we had one or more new moderators? What would that improve?
Moderators should promote positive on-topic discussion, and should respect reasonable wishes of members of the forum, like me asking you to leave me alone. I really don't understand why you suggested I should make my own game engine - the reason I had asked you to leave me alone in the first place was because I think you reply to me due to you have nothing better to do and that you don't put much efforts into writing your posts.

It is possible to please a lot of people, but the kicker is fully pleasing everyone. [That's the demise of most, if not every, Utopia]
Utopia is a very flawed concept, so is fully pleasing everyone. But you should be able to please everyone to an extent in a small community.

Personally, I think being part of this community has made me a much better person.
Sure the community may be aggressive sometimes, but in my experience if they are being aggressive towards someone, that person is usually in the wrong.
It seems like you're saying that if someone is wrong, people are justified in being aggressive towards them. That is extremely wrong, and suggests that being part of this community has made you a worse person.

don't worry, I'm used to disappointing people by now.

anyway your stance on this issue still seems pretty one-sided. Clearly you felt like you were slighted or personally attacked, singled out or whatever. It seems that not many people agree. Personally, my feelings toward you would be best described as "ambivalence" and although I didn't disagree with any warning that you received I didn't make the decision to hand any out myself because I'm a bit more lax these days.
This is exactly why we need new moderators. Moderators shouldn't be lax, and being used to disappointing people doesn't seem good either.
My actual stance is simply that these forums could be better, but I think perhaps I am expecting too much, particularly considering Cave Story is >10 years old.

Oct 29, 2015 at 4:21 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
The thread about infractions clearly states that warnings do not carry points, but that isn't the case.

That is but one of the many points you made in your post. You can't say there wasn't much discussion about the points in your post when 80% of the content of your post was thoroughly discussed. The point about the old infractions thread IS a valid point, but there are better ways to bring attention to it again than saying "boohoo nobody discussed my post" when clearly we did.

Moderators should promote positive on-topic discussion, and should respect reasonable wishes of members of the forum, like me asking you to leave me alone. I really don't understand why you suggested I should make my own game engine - the reason I had asked you to leave me alone in the first place was because I think you reply to me due to you have nothing better to do and that you don't put much efforts into writing your posts.

It is not a reasonable request to ask me to ignore you entirely on these forums that I frequent daily. You can't really have people not reply to you on threads, since that's the whole point of a forum. But also, why does it bother you so much that I suggested you make a game engine? I didn't demand it, you don't have to do it. What's your problem?

And in regards to this: "I think you reply to me due to you have nothing better to do " : isn't that the main reason most of us are on these forums in the first place? Because we have some free time and want to discuss cave story related things with other random strangers?

It seems like you're saying that if someone is wrong, people are justified in being aggressive towards them. That is extremely wrong, and suggests that being part of this community has made you a worse person.

While you are correct that a community's aggression towards an individual does not necessarily mean that they are in the wrong, more often than not we get members who are quick to blame the community before recognizing why the community is angry at them, and the community lashes against new members normally for being disrespectful or not following the rules, some of which are written and some of which are unwritten. Most of the time it's because a user is immature and/or posts low effort posts.

Oct 29, 2015 at 4:30 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
Utopia is a very flawed concept, so is fully pleasing everyone. But you should be able to please everyone to an extent in a small community.
Utopia is a perfect and simple concept with flawed execution
That post specifically mentions friendship. I was hoping to make friends here, but some of the members don't even seem to understand friendship?...
having friends online is somewhat confusing at times, I've kind of learned to just perform the expected conduct around here and most people are friendly to me.

Oct 29, 2015 at 4:35 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
That thread is beyond ancient.

Moderators should promote positive on-topic discussion
Why? Offtopic discussion is allowed, spam isn't. We prefer discussion to be easy and free-flowing.

and should respect reasonable wishes of members of the forum, like me asking you to leave me alone.
Outside of admin/mod roles you really shouldn't expect us to behave any differently to any other member. We are not robots.

Through all my experience in this role I can assure you that is not the case. The best you can do is please the majority, and make concessions for the rest.

and being used to disappointing people doesn't seem good either.
Noxid wasn't being overly serious.

Example: http://www.cavestory.org/forums/members/polaris.3817/#profile-post-40749
Because one person defines an entire community?

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2015 at 4:44 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
This is exactly why we need new moderators. Moderators shouldn't be lax, and being used to disappointing people doesn't seem good either.
My actual stance is simply that these forums could be better, but I think perhaps I am expecting too much, particularly considering Cave Story is >10 years old.
My job as a moderator is not merely to "enfore rules to the letter". It is to maintain order in the community while trying to balance the needs of old users and new users. Sometimes I fuck up and I recognize that but I'm only human. If this were a big, active forum that needed active moderation then maybe you'd have a point but this forum is literally just like a dozen or so people that stick around out of commonality or to make and play mods. Or for god-only-knows why.

I dunno, I wanted to say something cheesy here but it probably wouldn't make an impact on you anyway. I will just say that this forum has a specific culture and expectations that need to be respected or you just aren't going to have a good time.

Oct 29, 2015 at 4:50 AM
It is not a reasonable request to ask me to ignore you entirely on these forums that I frequent daily. You can't really have people not reply to you on threads, since that's the whole point of a forum. But also, why does it bother you so much that I suggested you make a game engine? I didn't demand it, you don't have to do it. What's your problem?
I don't wish for you to ignore me entirely. I don't think your suggestion was reasonable, and it wasn't particularly on topic.

That thread is beyond ancient.
It was the only thread I could find regarding infractions, so it should either be updated, or a new thread should be made.
Why? Offtopic discussion is allowed, spam isn't.
The topic of the forum is "Cave Story", Satellite Lounge is for offtopic discussion. Threads also have specific topics. Often the moderators here allow threads to veer off into discussion that does not fit the topic of the thread. I don't think that contributes to a positive community.
Outside of admin/mod roles you really shouldn't expect us to behave any differently to any other member. We are not robots.
Staff should behave differently - they need to set a good example for other members.
Through all my experience in this role I can assure you that is not the case. The best you can do is please the majority, and make concessions for the rest.
People may not be entirely happy with concessions, but they would likely be somewhat pleased. In other words, you are pleasing everyone.
Noxid wasn't being serious.
Are any of Noxid's posts serious?

I will just say that this forum has a specific culture and expectations that need to be respected or you just aren't going to have a good time.
I don't think I'm going to have a good time. So far I'm not having a good time with life either, because society also has a specific culture and expectations.