Think about this for a second: Would you consider a CS plush toy line a good idea or a bad one?

Do you really want the world to be flooded with adorably fluffy little Toroko squeaky toys?

• -> YES

Votes: 23 76.7%
  • -> NO

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters
Oct 18, 2015 at 6:34 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I've been thinking about this for a while now, but...in the long run, is the concept of making an entire frickin' Cave Story toy line really a good idea?

Well, I mean, at face value, anyone would say yes. Can you even imagine how freaking adorable the Mimiga plushies alone, especially Jack and Toroko and Sue, would be? And that's not even mentioning how god-damned cute Balrog, Quote, Curly, and perhaps even the Doctor would be. Long story short, I can already feel my money loosening itself from my wallet.

But then when you consider the deeper implications of this concept, you may start to realize the problem with this.

Although watching a bunch of adorkable little girls having tea parties with their Mimiga plushies and giant teddy Balrogs on countless Youtube videos would undoubtedly be the cutest fucking thing since the way that Toroko was portrayed in Cavernous Storybook...you see, that right there is exactly the problem with this idea. It's simply too fucking cute for its own good.

It's exactly the type of marketing ploy that Nintendo pulled with Pokémon. If even a fucking big-ass Nintendo franchise like Pokémon felt annoyingly overexposed after receiving such royal merchandising treatment, can you even imagine how comically overrated Cave Story would begin to feel?

In a lot of ways, it would most likely go from a game that even 8-year-old kids had deep and philosophical thought about to a literally nonstop fucking fangirl squeegasm marathon of aww, would you just look at those cuddly little cutie-pies! OMG, I WANT ONE SO BAD!!!

Also, the game would be seen as turning into yet another profitable cash cow. So, even after hearing all of that explicitly obvious encouragement to say NO to this idea, can you still find it in your heart to say yes? Personally, I can, because that's just how desperately I need to be able to hug and cuddle and snuggle with Jack and Sue. Toroko, too. :mahin:

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2015 at 6:41 AM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Oct 18, 2015 at 6:48 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
please stop

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:55 AM
please stop

Well, I mean, you gotta admit, it's a pretty unique question, because it encourages you to actually look at the concept of Mimiga plushies from the perspective of how it would actually affect the game's public image rather than just simply how cute it is.

Honestly, I'm not really sure whether to say yes or no to it, but I would totally fund a Kickstarter project for it either way. In reality, though, I think it would end up becoming a fucking disaster.

And before you make the argument that Yoshi's Woolly World was way too frickin' cute for its own good and yet still didn't ruin the Mario franchise...again, we're talking about a game company that's the size of Nintendo here. They can actually get away with stuff with that quite easily and not have to worry too much about the consequences.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2015 at 7:10 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
Well, I mean, you gotta admit, it's a pretty unique question, because it encourages you to actually look at the concept of Mimiga plushies from the perspective of how it would actually affect the game's public image rather than just simply how cute it is.

Honestly, I'm not really sure whether to say yes or no to it, but I would totally fund a Kickstarter project for it either way. In reality, though, I think it would end up being a fucking disaster.

And before you make the argument that Yoshi's Woolly World was way too frickin' cute for its own good and yet still didn't ruin the Mario franchise...again, we're talking about a game company that's the size of Nintendo here. They can actually get away with stuff with that quite easily and not have to worry too much about the consequences.
cave story wasn't made by a company the size of Nintendo, it isn't owned by a company the size of Nintendo.. mimiga/balrog/misery/quote/curly plushies wouldn't be any disaster, and what Captain Fab meant by "please stop" is you are making too many threads too fast and many of them already exist as Aar has already pointed out

Oct 18, 2015 at 7:15 AM
cave story wasn't made by a company the size of Nintendo, it isn't owned by a company the size of Nintendo.. mimiga/balrog/misery/quote/curly plushies wouldn't be any disaster, and what Captain Fab meant by "please stop" is you are making too many threads too fast and many of them already exist as Aar has already pointed out

Damnit, do you guys ever pay attention to what I'm trying to explain? I was saying that Yoshi's Woolly World was created by Nintendo, and that Cave Story was created by a literally one-man company, meaning that Nintendo has a lot more leeway to oversaturate itself with cuteness. Of course I fucking know that CS wasn't made by Nintendo. It was made by Valve XD

I know that I may be crudely stereotyping the Cave Story fanbase in way that is almost reminiscient of South Park, and that I have an overly cynical attitude about this. But it really is a serious question: would Mimigas become the next Minions?

what the actual fuck am I reading
is this a troll or

I may be a bit egotistical, but I do have a very legitimate point here. You never know what could happen when an indie game literally developed by one person becomes ragingly popular enough to get its own official toy line. People might even start calling it the next FNAF for all we know.

Oh, how much I wish you were actually explaining something. Also, who the fuck compares Mimigas to cancer? You're sick!

Hey, if the Mimigas turned into the new Minions, at least they would be Minions with the intelligence to actually form coherent sentences. Give credit where credit is due.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2015 at 7:18 AM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
what the actual fuck am I reading
is this a troll or

Oct 18, 2015 at 7:23 AM
War criminal
Damnit, do you guys ever pay attention to what I'm trying to explain? I was saying that Yoshi's Woolly World was created by Nintendo, and that Cave Story was created by a literally one-man company, meaning that Nintendo has a lot more leeway to oversaturate itself with cuteness. Of course I fucking know that CS wasn't made by Nintendo. It was made by Valve XD

I know that I may be crudely stereotyping the Cave Story fanbase in way that is almost reminiscient of South Park, and that I have an overly cynical attitude about this. But it really is a serious question: would Mimigas become the next Minions?
Oh, how much I wish you were actually explaining something. Also, who the fuck compares Mimigas to cancer? You're sick!

Oct 18, 2015 at 9:49 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
because that's just how desperately I need to be able to hug and cuddle and snuggle with Jack and Sue. Toroko, too. :mahin:
That's why I am worried about you.

Oct 18, 2015 at 4:15 PM
Professional Whatever
1. having a product line of cute toys will not change what the game itself is
2. cave story already is a cash cow

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:58 PM
"Forever coffee..."
I've been thinking about this for a while now, but...in the long run, is the concept of making an entire frickin' Cave Story toy line really a good idea?
Personally, I can, because that's just how desperately I need to be able to hug and cuddle and snuggle with Jack and Sue. Toroko, too. :mahin:
View attachment 2304

That's why I am worried about you.

I'm kind of worried now too...

Anyway, I can see where you're coming from with this. It's an entirely different question than what I posted, so I say it's fair game. No one knows who made CS except for us die-hard fans, and really it's been around for a very long time, so I don't see the reputation getting bumped down. Really it would just be fans who are all like "OMG yes yes yes" and everyone else would be "meh."

I think it's a good idea, but nobody would spend their time into making these things, much less figuring out a way to sell them to the hundreds of fans. At best a group of 4 or 5 people would make them at a rate of maybe 4, 5 a day if they're lucky.

It's also about design - the posted mimiga above doesn't really look that cute. Maybe it's the lighting and the angle, I don't know. But the design would have to have really good proportions, which can be hard.

And then the furries would probably overrun the forums if this became a thing, too...
(Nothing against them, but Cave Story is more than just mimiga)

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:13 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Nicalis had plans for CS merchandise (including a Polar Star keychain that I still wish I had :<), and that never really came to fruition. I have a feeling that whatever prevented such merchandise from being a thing would probably prevent plush toys.

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:56 PM
1. having a product line of cute toys will not change what the game itself is
2. cave story already is a cash cow

You know what I just realized? The Mimigas already are a giant toy line of adorable plush bunnies in digital form. And we are the buyers.

You know what else I would really love to see? A basket-Ballos. ;)

It's also about design - the posted mimiga above doesn't really look that cute. Maybe it's the lighting and the angle, I don't know. But the design would have to have really good proportions, which can be hard

Until you've actually tried drawing, let alone painstakingly crafting, Mimigas in a visually appealing way, you have no idea how much of a pain in the dick it actually is. If I had a dollar for every time I accidentally fucked up the perspective on those stupid drooping ears and ended up having to redo it, I'd be really frickin' rich. :balrog:

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2015 at 12:08 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
You know what I just realized? The Mimigas already are a giant toy line of adorable plush bunnies in digital form. And we are the buyers.
That sounds very disturbing when you say it like that. It's like an otaku shut-in talking about his 2D girlfriends.

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:36 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
No one knows who made CS except for us die-hard fans,
Actually, many of my friends who were never fans of cave story heard of the game before I ever told them about it.

that and plenty of them would love humanoid rabbit plushies.

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:51 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
that and plenty of them would love humanoid rabbit plushies.
Without the appeal of the game behind it you can only be appealing to an over-saturated market.

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:34 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Anyway said:
I honestly agree with this, the only CS plushies will exist is if fans make them, most other people wouldn't care. I think the only Nintendo/Nicalis(/Pixel[I guess]) is if Quote or Curly got in some game like Smash Bros, (but that most likely won't happen)and that CS character became a fan favorite, like how Ness is in Smash Bros.