Programming General

Jun 19, 2015 at 6:10 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
q3hardcore said:
Sure, I'm trying to re-write OrgView's org-loading code, so I can load external orgs.
That's really cool! How's it coming along?

Jun 19, 2015 at 10:59 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"

I made a little algorithm that generates interesting-looking images.

http://imgur.com/a/Koo6D

How the generation looks like.

I wasn't really planning on making it do that, but it just.. happened. It was supposed to be a multiplayer game, but I got sidetracked.
Code:
//update loop, among other things
for(int x = 0; x < pixmap.getWidth(); x++){
    for(int y = 0; y < pixmap.getHeight(); y++){					
       int randx = (int)((Math.cos(y*scale2 + Math.log(y) * scale3))*scale);
       int randy = (int)((Math.cos(x*scale2 + Math.log(x) * scale3))*scale);
       //move pixel at x to x + randx; same thing with y
    }
}
Download, if you want to try it out.
Controls: Space - update the image, Shift - reload image, Q - increase scale, E- decrease scale. After you get to 10 scale or so, the images start to look very strange, so I don't recommend going there. Press R to export the image. It will export them to (home folder)/Documents/Mirage.

To get clean images, reload the image after changing the scale, then update it.

Jun 19, 2015 at 11:22 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
ShinigamiMachine said:
That's really cool! How's it coming along?
Currently it only manages to load the first few "notes", I think I got some offsets wrong.

Jun 19, 2015 at 11:55 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I can make a fake error... Is that good enough?

Jun 20, 2015 at 12:37 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Anuken said:
I made a little algorithm that generates interesting-looking images.
That's super cool; however, it just makes a black screen that flashes and goes away on my Win8 64bit. You would probably be interested in the Processing language. It it based on Java, so it should be familiar. It is all about art and such. "Hello World" would be drawing a circle basically.

What kind of game was it going to be originally?

Jun 20, 2015 at 4:06 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
ShinigamiMachine said:
That's super cool; however, it just makes a black screen that flashes and goes away on my Win8 64bit. You would probably be interested in the Processing language. It it based on Java, so it should be familiar. It is all about art and such. "Hello World" would be drawing a circle basically.

What kind of game was it going to be originally?
I didn't have a concrete idea in mind; I just wanted to mess around with multiplayer mechanics.

As for the error, apparently, the assets were not loaded properly. I'll try to fix it.

I'll take a look at Processing.

EDIT: fixed link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/7x6cxs7plun73hq/mirage-0.0.1.1.jar

Sep 7, 2015 at 10:00 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Just made in a few hours an open-source debugging console engine in GML!

p206151-0-6etcgve.png

GMC Forum Topic

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:48 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Question: Do you pay for GameMaker, and if not, what are the limitations?

Sep 8, 2015 at 10:08 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Question: Do you pay for GameMaker, and if not, what are the limitations?
I payed for my version back when resource restrictions were still a thing. Nowadays the free version of GM:S now has the GameMaker splash screen and still a lack of some features which are really only useful for large game studios.
http://www.yoyogames.com/studio

GM:S can do quite a bit of stuff, further enchanced by external DLLs. You can also check the manual on what can be done:
http://docs.yoyogames.com/index.html?page=source/dadiospice/002_reference/index.html

Oct 1, 2015 at 3:37 AM
I forgot about this thread ^_^'

As I did mention in a status update, I've been learning of HTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL, jQuery, XML, and JSON. I've also been looking a bit at AJAX, AngularJS and Processing.js; and planning on doing some Python and Ruby too. It does take a lot to do a lot of things on web design =o

Amusingly, the acronym "PHP" stands for "PHP Hypertext Preprocessor", and that "PHP" in the acronym also stands for "PHP Hypertext Preprocessor", and so on. o.o

I'm still trying to do this fancy newfangled thing with CSS and jQuery, which if anyone remembers the old Humble Bundle Store is the game blocks that would expand into descriptions, videos, images, etc. For the most part it's working almost flawlessly, just gotta figure out how to order them automatically and fix a little bug.

Besides that, I've also made this cool Twitch stream status thingy using PHP, JSON and the GD library, which you can see in my signature. It'll automatically update into saying "online" when I'm streaming and stuff, and back into "offline" when I'm not. I'm planning on upgrading it into something a bit more complex, such as displaying what I'm streaming, views, etc. This will be fun! ^o^

I've also been thinking a bit of accepting requests for such PHP thingamajigs, because why not; but first I've got to learn some more.

Oct 1, 2015 at 3:50 AM
"Huzzah!"
Amusingly, the acronym "PHP" stands for "PHP Hypertext Preprocessor", and that "PHP" in the acronym also stands for "PHP Hypertext Preprocessor", and so on. o.o
It's called a recursive acronym - one of the letters of the acronym stands for the acronym itself.
Like GNU = GNU Not UNIX
and WINE = WINE Is Not an Emulator

Also, nice job on all the web dev you're doing!

Oct 1, 2015 at 4:08 AM
It's called a recursive acronym - one of the letters of the acronym stands for the acronym itself.
Like GNU = GNU Not UNIX
and WINE = WINE Is Not an Emulator

Also, nice job on all the web dev you're doing!
Why. Just why.

And thanks!

Oct 1, 2015 at 4:36 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
or PNG's Not Gif

cant think of any others off the top of my head tho

Oct 1, 2015 at 4:50 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Both of those are incorrect.
XNA = XNA's Not Acronymed
PNG = Portable Network Graphics (officially)

Here are a couple more:
GNU's Not Unix!
LAME Ain't an MP3 Encoder

In other news, I managed to write code that loads an Org into OrgView without any issues.

Oct 1, 2015 at 5:07 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
oh yeah sure, "Officially" it's Portable Network Graphics, but I think me and my hard-G gif's know better

Oct 1, 2015 at 5:38 AM
oh yeah sure, "Officially" it's Portable Network Graphics, but I think me and my hard-G gif's know better
There's already an animated version of PNG, called APNG; so even then it wouldn't be correct.

[Yay for hard G!]

Oct 1, 2015 at 11:58 PM
The Preacher
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"

More like it used to mean "Personal Home Page" and then they saw all those cool rad recursive acronyms and went like yo we want in on that hype too and made it a recursive backronym instead of trying to improve their language

Oct 7, 2015 at 2:04 AM
"Huzzah!"
and apparently RPM (RPM Package Manager)
Although it was Red Hat Package Manager, so it doesn't qualify as a recursive acronym in the same sense as the others
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPM_Package_Manager

I'm currently programming a chat client where you can host your own servers
not really anything special, but I did it because why not

Oct 7, 2015 at 2:14 AM
and apparently RPM (RPM Package Manager)
Although it was Red Hat Package Manager, so it doesn't qualify as a recursive acronym in the same sense as the others
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPM_Package_Manager

I'm currently programming a chat client where you can host your own servers
not really anything special, but I did it because why not
Which reminds me, when I sent you the networking example server/client, there had been a problem with the port-forwarding since my laptop had changed its port by a bit. The ports were only port-forwarded to specific ip addresses.