Cave Story: The Second Chapter

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:00 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I've gotten to the Mimiga village in v0.0.1 (I don't know what's changed in .2) So here's my feedback.

I'd like to talk about the "challenge" rooms first. I don't think there should be ANY challenge rooms in your mod.
If you want to make a legitimate sequel, you should stay true to the first game. (This means.... DON'T GIVE MIMIGAS BOOBS! IT'S WEIRD!!) I don't want challenge rooms in a "Cave Story" sequel because then it wouldn't be Cave Story. If you were to stumble upon a challenge room in the original game, it would COMPLETELY take you away from the story. Unless you can think of a way to fit these rooms into the game in such a way that they are canon, I don't think that they should be a thing.

On to the next topic. When you first fall into the Mimiga village, you are greeted by a familiar interaction between two characters. I know that the person on the right is Toroko, but who the hell is the guy on the left? If he's supposed to be a redesign of King, I DON'T LIKE IT! However, I'm just gonna assume that this is an entirely different character considering the fact that King should be dead (if this is a sequel). Either way, I just can't seem to "bear" his design. The way you made him look didn't very much make me think of him as a major character. Also, I just now realized, WHY IS TOROKO ALIVE!??!? I'm sure you explained it in an earlier post in this topic, but like I said, "You should stay true to the first game."

Last topic, the FIRST CAVE. I like the idea of you redesigning all this stuff from the last game (except for Toroko's redesign, I hope she's just a daughter named after Toroko because I can't wrap my head around how she might still be alive), but the first cave is so confusing. WHERE DO I GO!??! In the first game, it was clear where you were supposed to go. There were supposedly unbreakable blocks to the right, so you had to go left. When you got the gun, it made sense to backtrack and break the blocks so you could advance. Maybe you should try adding a similar map design (not too similar) as a nice re-introduction. One more thing, why did I get the SPUR first!? You need to start the player off with low level gear so that they can progress through the game and grow in skill as they play. If you just give them the best weapon as soon as they start playing, you're just making the game easy. On top of that, I noticed that the stationary shot from the spur does 20 dmg...... why?

Anyways, that's all I really have to criticize, I hope this feedback was helpful in some way. By the way, I LOVE the Quote redesign, just change the scarf so that it doesn't look like a green tongue.

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:08 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Okay, so let me explain mimiga bewbs: I got nothin.
Let me explain the no direction: beta.
Let me explain the new King replacement: Gunther, based off my brother, is a mimiga huntsman who found Toroko near where you fight her in rabid form in the original.
Let me explain the challenge rooms: I'm just testing out some cool ideas that I might add to the levels.
Let me explain the Spur: I got no idea why it does that, but the game DOES resume after CS1, and the polar star was upgraded.

Let me explain the let me explains: Prease understand.

Thanks for the feedback, I finally (kinda)
completed the First Cave Village thing in Version 0.0.2. But bugs, the stuff you listed, and Toroko are gonna be fixed (maybe) by tomorrow. Today i'm posting Version 0.0.3 which basically fixes some bugs in the script. Again, thanks for playing!
(I'm gonna make a bewb story!)

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:55 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Dec 8, 2014 at 10:57 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well.. I'm glad that my miniature essay of a post was taken into consideration. I wish you good luck on the making of this mod, and I hope to be a great help in the future. I'm gonna go play v0.0.3 now.

One more thing though, I think the spur SHOULD be given to the player in the beginning, but later in the game something happens that causes the spur to break or be downgraded to its polar star counterpart. This could be like a tease to the player. I also think this should be a thing simply because of what I said in my earlier post (blah blah blah... progress in skill and weapon quality..... blah blah blah). Or you could just simply make the enemies unusually hard or nerf the spur so that you have to get it fixed by the gunsmith in a later part of the game.

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:57 PM
Yeah, I thought of that too...
but I replaced the Polar Star with the Blunder Bust that you get at the end of the Challenge Room...
Oh well, in version 0.0.4,
Bewbies Removed!(aw...)
Spur fixed!
Pignon gives you directions!
Thanks for feedback, luck and as always, thanks for playing!