Who killed the Colons' mother/father?

Who do you think killed the Colon's mother/father?

• Total voters
Jul 11, 2012 at 7:55 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I know that this was briefly brought up in this thread, but there was only the slightest bit of mention about it.

So how exactly were the Colons' parents killed?

It seemed obvious to me at first that it was just some killer robot that killed their mother,
One of the Colons said:
Our real mommies were killed by robots. We hadn't even opened our eyes yet... But Curly raised us.
but then came along the NICALiS translation in which
that same Colon said:
Our mother was killed by the robot. Now she's raising us.
Which implies that Curly killed the Colon's mother.

Now of course one could argue that the NICALiS translation is correct because it's declared official, and that even Pixel himself approved of it- But I think that's a big load of politically correct crap for two reasons:

1) Last I heard, Pixel's English isn't all that good, so how good of a job would he be able to do of judging which translation is better?

2) Some of the parts of the NICALiS translation are just so retarded and dry compared to the elegantly worded parts of the AGTP translation.
In the AGTP translation the Iron bonds description said:
Your tie to Curly Brace, the only warrior you would trust your back to. Surely you will meet again one day...
In the NICALiS translation the Iron bonds description said:
Your connection to Curly Brace, the only person you trust. You'll see each other again...
If you talk to Prof Booster with the Mimiga mask in the AGTP translation said:
I'm truly sorry for the chaos that has befallen your island. We humans must take the blame.
If you talk to Prof Booster with the Mimiga mask in the NICALiS translation said:
I'm sorry. We've ruined your island. We humans are evil.
And with that, someone could argue that the Aeon Genesis translation is correct.

Now while it may be a bit grim dark that Curly killed the Colons' parents, the mother/father could have been enraged by red flowers. In fact, there's even a Japanese mod called Iron Bond that's basically Curly Brace's side of the events of Cave Story that involves Curly killing the Colons' mother and getting the Colons entrusted to her. That would insinuate that the NICALiS translation is correct, and the evidence would start to pile up in favor of that theory. The only real argument to that that I can think of is pointing out that Kaeso made an English mod that was Curly's side of the events, and that it involved killing the Colons' father and getting the Colons entrusted to her for having mercy on him. Even more evidence that the NICALiS translation is correct, right? Wrong! Kaeso admitted that the only reason he/she made the mod that way was because it was more dramatic:
Curly, if i remember correctly, woke up with the mimiga's.
Maybe, but it just seems so much more dramatic the way I did it :p There's going to be a lot that may not seem related to the story and there will be a lot that does. I'm a firm believer of not sacrificing game play for realism.
The first release with that scene came along before the NICALiS translation even existed, and Kaeso was basing this off of the AGTP translation which said some other robot killed their mother. With this, one could argue that the creator of Iron Bond had a similar thought process.

One could even say that neither translations are correct, as the line spoken by that Colon could be like the line spoken by Misery offering to eat a red flower in the AGTP translation, but in the NICALiS translation asking the Doctor if he wants to eat one. But due to the extremely context-sensitive nature of the Japanese language, it's hard to say either of them are correct, as the literal meaning of Misery's line is "My lord... Eat one?" If only there was someone here who knew Japanese that could tell us if there's something similar to that going on... *cough*GIRakaCHEEZER*cough*

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:29 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I think quote killed them.

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Well it depends on if Curly and Quote hung out all the time. I'd say it was most likely Curly, since she woke up surrounded by the Colons, it doesn't seem like there's much room for anything else to happen.

On the subject of the Aeon Genesis translation, it is a well-written but highly inaccurate one. Numerous liberties were taken during the translations, and frequently there are mistranslations or things left out because of the difficulty of translation. Go ahead and run through the NiCALIS translation, and you'll see several things that weren't in the AG translation. This was a professionally done translation run by Pixel himself (his English isn't stellar, but I'm sure if they have a way of translating Japanese then they have a way to easily communicate with him).

Jul 12, 2012 at 3:17 AM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
I think it's Miakid's goons.
Literal japanese translation always use "the" because they apparently don't have quantitative titles. So "the" robot can be "a" robot for all we know.

Jul 12, 2012 at 6:15 PM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Almost saw a motherf@cker in the title. *cough*
Well, I think doctor killed their parents.

Jul 12, 2012 at 7:42 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Alright I'll do my best to provide the most literal translation of the original text here:
p154399-0-curlymama1.png

"Our real mama was killed by the robot(s)." (Robot isn't specified as singular/plural here)
p154399-1-curlymama2.png

"The one who had raised us when hadn't even opened our eyes was her."
So it seems to be a bit ambiguous in the original, since "her" could refer to the robot, or it could refer to Curly beside him, or both.

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:49 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
So it seems to be a bit ambiguous in the original, since "her" could refer to the robot, or it could refer to Curly beside him, or both.
You could argue that the official translation uses the same ambiguity in their use of the word "she".

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:56 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
that same Colon said:

Our mother was killed by the robot. Now she's raising us.
Which implies that Curly killed the Colon's mother.

no no no hayden no that is definitely not being implied.

would you happily let someone raise you if they killed your mother?

you're just reading it wrong the Colon was just pointing out two different things.

That a robot killed their mother, and that Curley was raising them.

Jul 13, 2012 at 5:13 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Jesvice said:
no no no hayden no that is definitely not being implied.

you're just reading it wrong the Colon was just pointing out two different things.

Can you really blame Curly if she did do it? If she was once just a programmed killer robot with no free will.
Or if their parents were Frenzied from the Red Flower? She raised them and protected them, and told them the truth from the get-go... (They were just babies when they lost their parents so...)

But in any case :
I'm Curly Brace.
I've been with these little-
ones since before I can-
remember.
I don't recall anything-
before that...
Apparently, it's so-called-
memory loss.
I may have been a Mimiga-
killer, just like the other-
robots...

It doesn't seem like Curly killed their parents. Or at least she doesn't remember it.
The children say something to the extent of just being babies when Curly woke up with them...

,.. Wait... she says "I've been with these little ones since >>before<< I can remember."
That *could* mean the little ones *could* remember more than she does...

But in the original translation :
"When I woke up, I was with these children. I don't have any memories before that... Amnesia, you might say. I was... probably a Mimiga-butcher just like the other robots..."
Which suggests she'd remember more than the little Mimigas.

@GIR's translation -
In the end, I'd like to think some other robots did it. But, it's not necessarily true. She could have been put in a situation like Quote was with Toroko...

Jul 13, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
HaydenStudios said:
It seemed obvious to me at first that it was just some killer robot that killed their mother,
but then came along the NICALiS translation in whichWhich implies that Curly killed the Colon's mother.
Not only that, if you notice, in AG's translation the Colon speaks of mommies, implying they are not all siblings, whereas in the Nicalis one they clearly are as only one mother is referenced for them all.

HaydenStudios said:
One could even say that neither translations are correct
You mean, it could even be that neither translation is correct...

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Alright I'll do my best to provide the most literal translation of the original text here:
p154399-0-curlymama1.png

"Our real mama was killed by the robot(s)." (Robot isn't specified as singular/plural here)
p154399-1-curlymama2.png

...aaaaaand that's exactly the case. Neither seems necessarily right or wrong. Yay -_-

At any rate, thanks for checking it out Gir!

Say, is at least "mama" specified as singular?
Also, seeing as robot is not specified if singular or plural, perhaps it would be best to potentially omit the article? That is, "killed by (the) robot(s)" instead of "killed by the robot(s)."

andwhyisit said:
You could argue that the official translation uses the same ambiguity in their use of the word "she".
Yeah, that it does.

Jesvice said:
If at the time you hadn't even opened your eyes yet (let alone knew what was going on and were yet to learn how to speak) and ever since then, from as long back as you can recall, this person had shown you nothing but kindness and care?
Yeah, you just might.
The person that actually raised you is going to have a stronger emotional connection than the one that gave you birth if you never knew her. After all the Colons don't have TV or much of a social life to help contextualize things. Curly is literally all they have and if the notion that she's killed their real mother has been known to them since they were very little, it's going to be just a fact of life to them.

Jesvice said:

But in the Nicalis translation it was "THE robot" not "A robot". The only robot being discussed in the conversation is Curly, so yes, the Nicalis translation does imply she killed their mother.

X-Calibar said:
Can you really blame Curly if she did do it? If she was once just a programmed killer robot with no free will.
Or if their parents were Frenzied from the Red Flower?
She definitely didn't do it because of her programming, when she regains her memory she's relieved to find out that she and Quote were never killer robots, that they were sent to the island with the mission of destroying the crown.
So if she did do it, it was probably because of red flower rage.

X-Calibar said:
.. Wait... she says "I've been with these little ones since >>before<< I can remember."
That *could* mean the little ones *could* remember more than she does...

But in the original translation :
"When I woke up, I was with these children. I don't have any memories before that... Amnesia, you might say. I was... probably a Mimiga-butcher just like the other robots..."
Which suggests she'd remember more than the little Mimigas.
Oh boy... GIR! We need you again! *lol*

Jul 13, 2012 at 8:54 PM
Indie game enthusiast
She definitely didn't do it because of her programming, when she regains her memory she's relieved to find out that she and Quote were never killer robots, that they were sent to the island with the mission of destroying the crown.
So if she did do it, it was probably because of red flower rage.
"I faced him and tried my best-
to defeat him.
You were with me then.
That's all I can remember.
The crown bearer was-
surely injured by both our-
attacks that time.
How about you?
Can you recall something?
Anything?"

Well, just to add to possiblities, Curly regains her memory up to the point that she confronted the crown bearer and hurt him to some degree... There is a suspicious amount of memory missing from that time, until whenever she wakes up with the Colons. Most likely she was injured but, what if something else happened...?

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
It's possible yes, but she wasn't programmed to kill Mimigas in the first place, so whatever happened my point that she wouldn't have done it because of her programmins doesn't change, does it?

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:34 AM
Indie game enthusiast
Just to continue the argument :

"Before, a great number of-
us robots were sent to-
this island...
We were sent by the-
countries of the surface.
The purpose of the mission...
it was the incredible-
slumbering power found on-
this floating island...
And it was also about the-
Demon Crown.
But you and I were different.
We were sent on a mission to-
destroy that power."

I don't think there is any evidence to suggest that Quote and Curly are completely unlike the other robots? The only Killer Scout robot we see is a ten year old zombie... So what if Q or C were originally like them; rather than designed from the ground up to be different? Perhaps their original directives or programming were replaced or added on to, or upgraded somewhere along the lines?

Q and C are clearly amazing robots in Cave Story; but perhaps they started from a standard model and worked from there? So if someone had a way to control robots or wipe them; a backdoor method or even a virus...

Probably wouldn't happen but~ Just trying to think of alternative possibilities~

Jul 14, 2012 at 1:27 AM
Based Member
I'm gonna have to agree with the Dukester on this one. When Curly recounts to you the sight of all the dead Mimigas, she describes it as "horrible...". Both the AGTP translation and the NICALiS translation back each other up here.

The AGTP translation said:
When we got here, the island was in a shambles. The robots had torn it all to pieces... And countless Mimigas had been slaughtered... It was...terrible...
The NICALiS translation said:
The island, it was in a mess when we landed. Ravaged by the robots... They murdered scores of poor little Mimiga... It was horrible...

I seriously doubt Quote or Curly were Mimiga killers at any point.

Jul 14, 2012 at 1:33 AM
Veteran Member
Yes, Curly is very happy to be able to claim that they were different after saying that, so that's what I read in it as well, relief at finally knowing for sure they were not killer robots (a thought that we've seen, was constantly eating at her conscience).

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:02 AM
Indie game enthusiast
Sorry I wasn't clear, I rely on others to figure out my context D:
"I don't think there is any evidence to suggest that Quote and Curly are completely unlike the other robots?"
"Q and C are clearly amazing robots in Cave Story; but perhaps they started from a standard model..."

Rather than addressing their mission or memories, I was intending :
I don't think there is any evidence to suggest that Quote and Curly weren't based on or even just reprogrammed scout robots? I mean Booster and Itoh recognized Quote immediately as a Scout Robot...

I'm gonna have to agree with the Dukester on this one. When Curly recounts to you the sight of all the dead Mimigas, she describes it as "horrible...". Both the AGTP translation and the NICALiS translation back each other up here.
I seriously doubt Quote or Curly were Mimiga killers at any point.
Yes, it's unlikely Q or C killed any Mimiga unless they were in a forced situation.
I just had two points to make [I think they were already made, but I'm feeling foggy.... lol]

One, that Curly doesn't remember what happened after the confrontation with Miakid. How does she end up waking up with mostly no memory, with the Colons nearby? What happened during that unknown period of time from when she lost her memory, to waking up with the kids? She asks Quote, but .......

And my other point was to address this :
"but she wasn't programmed to kill Mimigas in the first place"
How do we know that she wasn't originally just like the others? I MEAN, let's say the robots were built in a factory; implanted to follow orders, and have some intelligence. How do we know, that two of those robots weren't taken from the factory, given new personalities and orders opposed to the other robots.

And my point is, if their systems are similar to the others, then there's a possiblity something could affect them??
Whether it just be clouding their memories, or reseting them or ... controlling them. Just saying.

Jul 15, 2012 at 1:13 AM
One, that Curly doesn't remember what happened after the confrontation with Miakid. How does she end up waking up with mostly no memory

Curly ended up with no memory BECAUSE of her and Quote's battle with Miakid. Bump on the head, badly damaged, lost the fight ect.

What happened during that unknown period of time from when she lost her memory, to waking up with the kids?

nothing to her in particular

What happened during that unknown period of time from when Quote lost his memory, to waking up in the first cave?

nothing to him in particular

Jul 15, 2012 at 1:34 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
So you mean that Quote lost his memory in the Start Point and Curly lost her memory in the Sand Zone, even though they lost their memory in the same place?

Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

Fun fact: trying to be a smartass and then being wrong about what you're talking about only makes you look like even more of an idiot

Jul 15, 2012 at 1:43 AM
You obviously can't read.

I clearly stated that they lost their memories at the same time due to a battle with Miakid wherever that was held.

Seriously you're plain retarded, ask anyone else on these forums and they will put you in your place.

Hell I bet even one of your many butt buddies would shamefully have to tell you how wrong you are. ;)