Haunted House Story 0.6

Mar 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM
hi hi
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Haunted House Story - aka HHs - my completely new mod.
Current version: 0.6

Redgon Hash, an adventurer, comes to the Haunted House. He doesn't know there are no exit - he must defeat the evil creatures from the house. He must survive - or die.

I've changed nearly all stuff from Cave Story - enemies, weapons, music, sounds, tilesets , NPC sets.

Hope you like my mod.

DOWNLOADS
removed since this is obsolete

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2012 at 10:21 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
downloading, downloading.
EDIT: Good job.

Mar 18, 2012 at 10:30 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Can we make a rule that says you aren't allowed to just post to say that you are going to / are in the process of downloading a mod

Because I see shit like this all the time and 1) it's dumb and spammy and 2) the modder receives no usable feedback from it. If you're going to download it, fine, great, that's cool. Wait until you actually have something useful to say before you post because 70% to 100% of the time people who do this don't even follow up and that pisses me off even more GRRRR :muscledoc: :sun: :sun:

Mar 18, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
ok, sorry.

Mar 18, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Back from DC, let's check out the 'ol Cave Story Forums.

Yeah not much has changed.
I'll check out your mod and tell you what I think, Mixer.
(I probably won't have time to tell you what I think, or even play your mod, but it's nice to leave people knowing that they may or may not receive feedback from the BMOF. (That means Big Man On the Forums, in case you didn't know.))

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:37 AM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
-Remember that Cave Storys transparent backround color is black. This makes some of your sprites (like your MyChar) look somewhat blank. Recolor those parts dark blue.
-There are an awful lot of enemys with not a lot of hp. But this could just be me sucking.
-I liked how you used the blade mod :D
I like it so far. Keep up the good work!

Mar 19, 2012 at 6:59 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
And by #00001 he means a color so blue that it looks black.
There are two easy ways to do this.
1)go to the color sliders and put them all at 0 except for blue, put 1 as blue's value, and if that's too hard,
2) eyedrop the color from Quote's hair in the original .pbm.

Mar 19, 2012 at 9:26 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
That was quick :eek: I like the weapons, especially the way the G-Gun ammo works. Wouldn't say it's really 'scary' as such, although the noise those headcrab skulls make when shot is pretty unsettling. The dark palette is more effective at making it hard to see things >_> My most notable criticisms are that the outside area is a bit long and plain, and the Bot boss fight becomes very uninteresting after reaching it. Otherwise, I like the hacking work; you've made good progress in a short time :orangebell:

Mar 19, 2012 at 9:21 PM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
As far as I could tell, there were no errors in the TSC that could cause problems.

My suggestion is to add skipflags and <SAT in some areas, like the area with the square rooms that required you to defeat all the enemies. I don't really need to read the same text twice; I just need to get in there and kill all the doushes.
Another is to decrease the HP of the bosses. Most of them seem to drag on and become dull with a slow-regenerating gun, a limited ammo weapon, and a melee weapon(which is absolutely useless in some bosses).

Other than that, I agree with DT and the color pallet should be lightened up in some areas because it's pretty hard to see sometimes (In the summoner/mizary boss battle, I can't really see the summoned blocks, and instantly lose half of my health... But I did notice that you could break the blocks which was kind of nice!)

These are just some criticisms that I had, but I did like some of the hacking that was taken place. Enemies could be coined to various other similar CS enemies, but remain fresh at the same time. The Shurikens and the G-Gun were nice, but I would enjoy a bit more ammo in the G-Gun. As I stated before, some of the bosses seem to frag on, and I think that increasing the ammo cap of the G-Gun would help solve it.

Mar 20, 2012 at 3:32 AM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Hey, I downloaded the mod a while ago, but I just played it. I just wanted to say, hey, this mod actually isn't too bad after all. I honestly didn't expect much from a mod with this name, but it actually is pretty fun. Here's what I like about it:

-It's challenging, but not too much, I feel it's pretty balanced, maybe that's just me.
-It's very creative, I didn't notice a single thing that wasn't changed, graphical and sound-wise.
-The Cooler music is really good.
-I like the strategy involved in using the shuriken, it's fun, and it makes the weapon not overpowered as a result.
-While the game isn't scary, the first time I hit one of those skull sprinter things, the sound kind of startled me, so a plus there I think.
-All the hacks you did were pretty great, even if they were pretty basic.
-I like the new sounds, they sound retro and unique.
-Good length for a first demo.

Here are some flaws, however.

-Some of the graphics are okay, but a lot of it is either too dark and hard to see, or just kind of, well, bad. I think it's that some things need rounded edges, like those big ghosts in the ending, and the facepics
-The music is kind of off-key, and it's kind of hard to listen to, some songs are good, but a lot of it is repetitive and kind of bad. Maybe you were going for music that didn't sound in-key, in that case, that's a plus; I do still like that Cooler song.
-Was there a point of the key in the first part?
-I didn't notice I had the shuriken, maybe I wasn't paying attention, but you should probably introduce the weapon before popping it in your inventory.
-There are too many monsters in the beginning.

That's it, really, it's much better than I expected, so good job, I look forward to the next release!

8 out of 10.

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:08 PM
hi hi
-I didn't notice I had the shuriken, maybe I wasn't paying attention, but you should probably introduce the weapon before popping it in your inventory.

At start there's a text...
You landed in this dark room, carrying only a sword and 10 shurikens.

Mar 22, 2012 at 4:57 AM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
Can we make a rule that says you aren't allowed to just post to say that you are going to / are in the process of downloading a mod

Because I see shit like this all the time and 1) it's dumb and spammy and 2) the modder receives no usable feedback from it. If you're going to download it, fine, great, that's cool. Wait until you actually have something useful to say before you post because 70% to 100% of the time people who do this don't even follow up and that pisses me off even more GRRRR :muscledoc: :sun: :sun:
downloading, downloading.
EDIT: Good job.

It seems that hate9 is living up his name.
I'm not a very good reviewer, but I guess it's decent.

Mar 22, 2012 at 2:58 PM
hi hi
-Was there a point of the key in the first part?

The door should not open until you get the key.
I forgot to try this, but I think it's necessary to have the key.

Mar 23, 2012 at 3:26 AM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
The door should not open until you get the key.
I forgot to try this, but I think it's necessary to have the key.

Ah, yes that's definitely functioning. I actually found another thing. When you get the key, the sparkle doesn't disappear, there's not really any point in keeping it there, so you might want to make it go away after getting the key.

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:55 PM
hi hi
Ah, yes that's definitely functioning. I actually found another thing. When you get the key, the sparkle doesn't disappear, there's not really any point in keeping it there, so you might want to make it go away after getting the key.

OK. Will do in 0.2.

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:17 PM
hi hi
http://www.mediafire...0t4b04qyxnc8q56

New demo!!!
I've fixed some things from 0.1 (non-disappearing sparkle from Room with no door at beginning and others) and added a continuation.
Enjoy!!!
EDIT: New link:
http://www.mediafire...r8n333b8hmb813e

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:35 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Please don't make a new thread every time you update your mod....