Fox News and other political circuses

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:29 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I don't think there's a thread for this video I want to show you guys, so I made one. Discuss Fox News I guess. Be aware that going off on a tangent will probably get this thread locked.
Lou Dobbs on the liberal Hollywood agenda.
I think my favourite part is when he accuses Japan of participating in Hollywood's liberal agenda, if I understood him correctly. I had to make sure the video wasn't a joke or something.
Of course, I'm not trying to get on a political soapbox. Regardless of what I think about politics (not much), Fox News is ridiculous and funnier than most shows on television.

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:26 AM
"Huzzah!"
Fox is an odd company. I mean, Murdock controls Fox. Murdock also owns a lot of newspapers, some of which push viewpoints I agree with. The fact that news companies hijack 'the news' and turn it into political ammunition is much darker territory. CNN is just as twisted and agenda driven as Fox, except CNN is left-wing, so people tend not to regard them as being batshit.

To be fair to Fox, their 'news' is fair and balanced... I think. However, the key weapon in their arsenel is the talking heads who explain the news. These talking heads are openly political. CNN on the other hand, likes to pass off political ranting as news coverage.

I think the real problem with Fox is 'making shit sound important because we've got a 24 hour news cycle'. Fox digs the bottom of the barrel to find controversy.

Hey, but as for Japan pushing US liberal agenda, what about the... was it 2010 law changes? Rumour has it US pressured Japan into restricting certain kinds of hentai mangas. So... Japan is supporting the conservative US agenda. :p

edit:
Fox and CNN are paragons of unbiased virtue compared MSNBC, who are vicious and hateful and have no regard for journalistic integrity.

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:48 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Thanks for sharing Malice!
But you're not correct.
Send me a link to MSNBC or whatever big liberal news station you please preaching that a kid's picture book from 10 years ago is setting kids up to be conservative bigots and I'll believe you.

Also, CNN is not liberal, it's central. If you think CNN is a liberal news company passing off political ranting as news coverage, then stay away from any real liberal news networks for your mental well being.

For the record though, I don't really like CNN either, but probably for different reasons.

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:57 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I get my news coverage listening to drunken 20-somethings gripe about how much america sucks

but this was pretty entertaining to. Also, is it just me or is the plot of that anime the same as "The Borrowers", the 1997 live-action film featuring Jim Broadbent and Hugh Laurie?
I doubt they kicked shit up about THAT movie so what is so bad about this one now...

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:58 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Both are book adaptations, I believe.

If only Dr. Seuss were still alive so they could brand him as a left-wing hippie. Or Hayao Miyazaki for making the Borrowers movie.

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:04 AM
"Huzzah!"
I meant that Fox and CNN are very similar. They *try* to keep their people honest.

But MSNBC definitely has a problem with mean tactic and bias. They treat people who disagree with them with absolute contempt.

I know someone who claims the Courier Mail, one of Murdock's Australian newspapers, is 'anti-Christian, anti-Israel, anti-gun, etc.' I just look at him and say "Dude, try reading a newspaper funded by the Greens. Then you'll experience real bias."

But let's cut back: I don't like biased coverage, regardless of whether the bias suits me. I want the truth. The facts. THEN give me the 'expert' to explain things.

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:12 AM
The movie was delightful, but it's based on a book by the same name.

Also, I would be very interested to see examples of liberal agenda from news outlets such as CNN and MSNBC. I get almost all my information from The Daily Show and Reddit, so there's clearly a bias there. If CNN can top that video, I'll be very impressed. I honestly keep looking for examples of liberals being ridiculous goofballs, because I don't want to believe it's just conservatives doing it. (Only a select few conservatives, obviously. The problem is there seems to be a lot of people agreeing with them.)

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:18 AM
"Huzzah!"
http://www.newsbusters.org

I check this site from time to time. Sometimes the 'expose' can be a bit silly. However, the Republican debates in US are really making it clear how much MSNBC and CNN hate the candidates. It's insane. These anchors are supposed to be giving us facts, not comparing anyone who votes Republican to a retard.

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:33 AM
"Huzzah!"

See? Media organizations spin 'news' out of nothing in order to keep people interested. I mean, sure, perhaps someone was really upset by Portal 2. But to make a news story out of it? What, were they out of waterskiing budgies to report on?

This reminds me of the parody article on Christwire which claimed Portal 2 was centered on 'glory holes'. Two robots pass through 'glory holes' with 'jelly lube'. These robots, the article claimed, were gay.

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:43 AM
daughter of chivalry
Relevent: http://christwire.org/2012/02/skrillex-uses-satanic-and-homosexual-influence-to-win-grammys/

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:49 AM
"Huzzah!"
Just so we're all clear, Christwire is a joke. A parody. A lot of people read stuff on there and assume it's real. "OBAMA IS A BRONY", kind of stuff.

Rumour has it, the creators of Christwire are actually conservatives pretending to be liberals pretending to be moderates.

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:53 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Feb 24, 2012 at 3:55 AM
daughter of chivalry
Feb 24, 2012 at 4:04 AM
"Huzzah!"
*Senses argument brewing*

I REALLY wanted to be a girl between the ages of 9 and 11. Just saying.

While Fox does blow things out of proportion, they are justified in making moral judgements. However, such judgements belong firmly in opinion columns, not the news.

Same as Fox is pro-Israel. It's a political stance they choose.

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:21 AM
I don't think any of the judgements Dr. Keith Ablow stated belong in any column on a popular news site. Sounds like someone's in denial about their fabulous side.

Feb 24, 2012 at 5:10 AM
"Huzzah!"
Fox does need to get their act together. They seem to be unable to seperate opinion and news.

Mind you, a lot of what Ablow says is correct, in regards to his general columns and his psychology practice. Painting your son's toenails pink is a bad idea, he said once. This made people angry. *sigh* People on both sides of politics need to stop getting angry, Hulk style. I personally disagree with almost everything that comes out of Chaz Bono's mouth. I also think Cher is a terrible singer, and Sonny Bono was a wife-beating scumbag. But I don't make a huge deal of these things. I don't go out of my way to antagonise people.

I believe Fox often has their heart in the right place, but they lack delicacy. They lack tact. They lack coherence. But that's a problem which affects most conservative organizations.

Feb 24, 2012 at 5:48 AM
People on both sides of politics need to stop getting angry
Yes. But painting your son's toenails or letting him watch Dancing With the Stars is not exactly getting political.

I believe Fox often has their heart in the right place, but they lack delicacy. They lack tact. They lack coherence. But that's a problem which affects most conservative organizations.
Well see, I believe Fox News is bent on scaring Americans into listening to what they have to say, which are things that would be laughed at if people weren't scared of Obama turning America into a communist/fascist/Muslim/atheist state.
But I don't really watch Fox News so I guess my opinion might be misinformed. I may come off as anti-conservative but really I'm anti-extremist. Extremely anti-extremist?

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:44 AM
"Huzzah!"
I agree with you, Fab, that Fox has serious problems. I'm just wary of pinning all the blame on Fox, rather than the entire modern news system.

One things which really concerns me is how Fox clearly care more about money than internal loyalty, as shown by when they fired Glenn Beck. Fox makes money out of conservatism, but I'm a tad suspicious that Fox would turn into a spotted unicorn if it would mean greater profits.

I guess my feeling about Fox are really mixed. As a conservative, I genuinely appreciate when Fox takes a stand against 'the left'. On the other hand, Fox spends more time telling people WHAT to think than giving them facts and teaching them HOW to think. That seriously troubles me.

Peter Hitchens, whom I admire, and who's kinda famous in England, said that there's little point in public debate when few have been taught how to think and millions have been taught what to think.

Feb 24, 2012 at 7:34 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
I REALLY wanted to be a girl between the ages of 9 and 11.
p148666-0-b6fl6.gif

But in all seriousness, I'm not really sensing an argument brewing here, because everyone shares the same viewpoint: that news stations telling people what to think instead of how is a bad thing. It really doesn't matter which we're referring to because in all honesty most televised news stations do it.

We're all in agreement that American news kind of sucks.