Curly's Past

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:25 PM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Ok, some things I should probably note.
I've made it to the ancient cave, and noticed that the text for items isn't bald like it's in the regular CS.
You mean bold? There's a command to do that?

Also, after I open a door, I see the background texture. There should be black there instead.[/spoiler]
An easy fix for this would be to simply change the background of the ancient cave to blackness. It would make it seem more "Cavy" and it would fix it.
Aw crap... I'm not a fan of the black background. Ah well, if it has to be...
But I wonder how I failed to notice all these problems with doors :pignon2:

Yeah ok, I just didn't feel like playing after I got past "Fortress" and then found out I have to go back and through the "Fortress" again. And then I died.
Yeah I could handle the 30+ Basils at once but this? No.
Really? I would have thought the exact opposite.
Anyway, don't blame that on me, I didn't touch that part at all ;)
If it's such a bother, just open the fortress in Cave Edit and cut a path from door to door.

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:36 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
If it's such a bother, just open the fortress in Cave Edit and cut a path from door to door.
As much as I like Cave Editor, it might not be wise to open this mod up with that editor. This mod was developed using Sue's Workshop. And I've heard that the two editors aren't cross-compatible. I know for a fact that if you open it up with Cave Editor, then again with Sue's, it won't load any maps, but I'm not entirely sure what the consequences are if you try to edit it with CE only after it's been using Sue's.

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:55 PM
Veteran Member
Well, after the early changes to the ending and the inclusion of that particular item (plus some alterations to tunnel and sunken city) everything I've done was with Cave Editor... so yeah, it's perfectly safe to do so.

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:10 PM
Based Member
Hm... I guess it's just trying to import Cave Editor into Sue's. I'm gonna ask this in the quick questions.

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:47 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
There's most likely a way to make bold text, yea. But anyway, I got past grass hills. Year 3 now.
EDIT: The Sunken City's map doesn't work.

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:40 PM
Based Member
OH! NOW I remember what it was that I liked that you fixed that I forgot to tell you! Yes, I did like the improved sanctuary as well, but the other thing you fixed that I liked was fixing the sign next to Jenka's house. Before, it didn't use the <TUR command, but I see you added it like in Cave Story. Ah, the Sunken ruins doesn't work? I'll have to see this. Maybe there ARE problems that arise from using both Sue's and CE? As of posting this message, I still haven't gotten a reply in the quick questions thread.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:03 PM
No, I mean the map system at that area is bugged. Also, I just passed the mod.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:07 PM
Based Member
No, I mean the map system at that area is bugged. Also, I just passed the mod.
Oh! That would be because the map is too large. The game engine was never meant to process maps that large. So yeah, you won't be able to use it in that room. Level design is this mod's true weakness. Lot's of wasted open space. Don't worry, you won't have this problem in my continuation!

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
HaydenStudios said:
the other thing you fixed that I liked was fixing the sign next to Jenka's house. Before, it didn't use the <TUR command, but I see you added it like in Cave Story.
That's another last minute change, again because I had never realized it needed fixing (I probably only checked the sign the first time I played the mod)... so it's lucky that I chanced another look.

JiNXeD said:
I just passed the mod.
Congrats! Any final thoughts? :)

HaydenStudios said:
Oh! That would be because the map is too large. The game engine was never meant to process maps that large.
Oh good, at least this one is sure not to be my fault.

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:19 AM
Yeah it was all fun and stuff, I liked the idea of being a "mom" and Jenka being a nice neighbour.
There were, of course, a few annoying parts like all those glitching basils that flew in the air at the egg corridor place. (Or whatever it was called.)
And then the "Fortress" with too many rollers and it was getting annoying when I had to go back and forth through it.
And also in the pyramid which I found pretty random.

Other than that, a nice mod. I really hope more will be added soon.

In a scale I would give it 8/10.

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:27 PM
Veteran Member
There were, of course, a few annoying parts like all those glitching basils that flew in the air at the egg corridor place. (Or whatever it was called.)
I think that was a design choice by Kaeso. In his other mod there's some basils that never ever touch the ground...
Honestly, I would have done more about it, but the way he's positioned them is weird (they are all ammassed in one place in the editor and are probably movesd where they need to be in script, so it's complicate to tell which is which).

the pyramid which I found pretty random.
I thought it was quite ingenious. If you check the map, spikes are shown as solid walls on it... but shots go right through, so you're able to tell where they are.

Other than that, a nice mod. I really hope more will be added soon.
I do plan on making some additions to year three, but nothing big.

In a scale I would give it 8/10.
That's an excellent score. Thanks, also on Kaeso's behalf :D

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:12 AM
Veteran Member
I don't know if this is considered a legitimate reason to double post, but I just fixed the doors in ancient cave. It was actually really easy.

I think I also fixed the doors in Curly's home year 2. Haven't playtested it yet. I'd like to wait for you to finish playing first Hayden, in case there's more bugs to be spotted.
I don't believe there was any problem in Curly's home for year one.

And with some help from HaydenStudios, the FOM thing should be dealt with as well.

Feb 19, 2012 at 4:50 AM
Based Member
So, I felt like I needed a bit of a breather from working on a cutscene I that was adding into my mod, so I decided to procrastinate by playing through this the rest of the way. There's not much changed in Grass hils that I couls tell. Oh, crap. I'm so sorry. You told me to test the furniture ans stuff before, during, and after boss fights and I didn't. Sorry. Anyway, the door glitch appears in year three as well. Question, why did you change "every five years," to "every few years,"? And I think that Cemetary was much more fitting music for the Sunken Ruins than the Labirynth fight, so I'm not sure why you changed that. Also, back on the original thread, WedgeOf Cheese made some music for the pyramid. Kaeso loved it, and wanted to import it into the game, but went inactive before a release came around with the new music imported. Anyway, the aquisition of the machine gun wasn't bad, but the arial movment it allows lets you really skip through the command tower. Also, there is still a little bit of improvment on your surprised face picture for Curly. But anyway, nice job. Also, sorry if my spelling and grammar is less than ideal in this post, but it's really late, I'm tired, and I need to go to bed.

Feb 20, 2012 at 3:30 PM
Veteran Member
HaydenStudios said:
So, I felt like I needed a bit of a breather from working on a cutscene I that was adding into my mod
Tell me about it >_<

HaydenStudios said:
There's not much changed in Grass hils that I couls tell.
There's a few things, but nothing you'll notice right away.
I've actually added a little something that will be present in the next (and hopefully final) release, but it's really nothing big.

HaydenStudios said:
Oh, crap. I'm so sorry. You told me to test the furniture ans stuff before, during, and after boss fights and I didn't. Sorry.
That's okay, I ended up doing so myself and it seems everything works fine.

HaydenStudios said:
Anyway, the door glitch appears in year three as well.
Yeah, fixed that as well.

HaydenStudios said:
Question, why did you change "every five years," to "every few years,"?
It seemed more natural to keep it vague (rather than give Omega some precise arbitrary schedule). Also this way players can decide for themselves how long before the events of CS this takes place.

HaydenStudios said:
And I think that Cemetary was much more fitting music for the Sunken Ruins than the Labirynth fight, so I'm not sure why you changed that.
Three reasons: firstly 'cause I thought the cemetery track made that part of the game a total bore and secondly because I consider Labyrinth Fight the unofficial Curly Brace theme song, so I absolutely wanted it to play at some point in this mod and lastly because the cemetery is again accessible in this release and I wanted to keep it unique.

HaydenStudios said:
Also, back on the original thread, WedgeOf Cheese made some music for the pyramid. Kaeso loved it, and wanted to import it into the game, but went inactive before a release came around with the new music imported.
I wouldn't know how to do that, but if you do, by all means be my guest :)

HaydenStudios said:
Anyway, the aquisition of the machine gun wasn't bad, but the arial movment it allows lets you really skip through the command tower.
Hehehe...

HaydenStudios said:
anyway, nice job.
Thanks!
So did you like the "ending"?

HaydenStudios said:
sorry if my spelling and grammar is less than ideal in this post, but it's really late, I'm tired, and I need to go to bed.
No worries.

Feb 21, 2012 at 7:47 PM
Veteran Member
And here you go, check back the first post to get the new, and most likely final, version.

So what's changed this time? Well, obviously I added that cutscene I mentioned (had to give up on the continuous smoke, but it wasn't a big deal really) but that's not the only change.

See, after the first release, I decided to play a few more mods and one of these was Kaeso's unnamed mod which, in all honesty, is not nearly as good as Curly Brace's Story.
There were however a few parts I liked in it... and I thought to myself, seeing as it's extremely unlikely that this other mod will ever be continued (unless Kaeso returns, I guess) why not prevent these areas from going to waste by incorporating them into Curly's Past?
So that's what I did. I integrated layouts and concepts from that mod within areas of Curly's Past. Most prominently in the Sunken Ruins and Command Tower, but also tiny little tidbits in Tunnel, Pyramid and Grass Hills.

That's why I suggested making a copy of profile.dat at the start of year 3.

Well, at any rate, have fun! :cool:

Feb 21, 2012 at 9:03 PM
Based Member
It seemed more natural to keep it vague (rather than give Omega some precise arbitrary schedule). Also this way players can decide for themselves how long before the events of CS this takes place.
Very well. But in my continuation, it will be changed back to five years.

Three reasons: firstly 'cause I thought the cemetery track made that part of the game a total bore and secondly because I consider Labyrinth Fight the unofficial Curly Brace theme song, so I absolutely wanted it to play at some point in this mod and lastly because the cemetery is again accessible in this release and I wanted to keep it unique.
Hmmm... Ok. But in my continuation, it will be changed back to cemetery.

I wouldn't know how to do that, but if you do, by all means be my guest :)
All right then, I'll send you a version with the pyramid music in it.

Hehehe...
I am aware that you took that into account, and added a life capsule above the intrance to the assasins. My real concern was that it kills the challenge of the rising platforms, and you're able to be hovering in places on the map where all you see is the background. Maybe you could change it to getting the machine gun when you fight than captain in the jail? I know that it's near the end of the game, but ut would make more sense with the video game logic of not being able to traverse the level as well the first time, but aquiring an item that enhances it all future times. Also, I know you were intending for this to be the final release, but when it comes to good quality modding, the final version isn't out until the fat lady sings. If you rush into declaring it finished, then there will still be room for improvment in the final release. I haven't looked at the discussion for The Mimiga Army's development thread, but that mod's "Final bug fix" still has some glitches in it. If you look at my fourth ending mod, it was pretty much "complete" and didn't have very many glitches. But I've spent quite a while receiving feedback and polishing it, but I still don't consider it 100% complete.

So did you like the "ending"?
I thought it was okay. Maybe you could have actually shown the cutscene with Quote walking into the residence, then a bit of Curly's lines, and then ended it.

And here you go, check back the first post to get the new, and most likely final, version.
I'll play through that when I have time.

See, after the first release, I decided to play a few more mods and one of these was Kaeso's unnamed mod which, in all honesty, is not nearly as good as Curly Brace's Story.
There were however a few parts I liked in it... and I thought to myself, seeing as it's extremely unlikely that this other mod will ever be continued (unless Kaeso returns, I guess) why not prevent these areas from going to waste by incorporating them into Curly's Past?
So that's what I did. I integrated layouts and concepts from that mod within areas of Curly's Past. Most prominently in the Sunken Ruins and Command Tower, but also tiny little tidbits in Tunnel, Pyramid and Grass Hills.
Hm, interesting. I haven't played that mod before. I'll have to see what you've done.

Feb 21, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Veteran Member
All right then, I'll send you a version with the pyramid music in it.
Cool, then I guess that'll be the true final version.
Just make sure you apply it to the one currently up for grabs in the first post.

I am aware that you took that into account, and added a life capsule above the intrance to the assasins.
That's not why I was laughing :debug:

I know you were intending for this to be the final release, but when it comes to good quality modding, the final version isn't out until the fat lady sings. If you rush into declaring it finished, then there will still be room for improvment in the final release. I haven't looked at the discussion for The Mimiga Army's development thread, but that mod's "Final bug fix" still has some glitches in it.
I meant final as in "I'm not going to add any more stuff to it" (the Pyramid music had slipped my mind). Of course if there are bugs, I'll try to fix them.

I thought it was okay.
Good, that was the idea. Something minimal simply to wrap it up.

Maybe you could have actually shown the cutscene with Quote walking into the residence, then a bit of Curly's lines, and then ended it.
I like it better this way, it seems more... poetic? And sort of like involving the audience too ("You know what conversation this is, dont'cha?")

I'll play through that when I have time.

Hm, interesting. I haven't played that mod before. I'll have to see what you've done.
Enjoy... when you have the time ;)

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:52 PM
Based Member
Just make sure you apply it to the one currently up for grabs in the first post.
Yep.

That's not why I was laughing :debug:
Oh. Well, after playing through it again, I still don't know why.

I like it better this way, it seems more... poetic? And sort of like involving the audience too ("You know what conversation this is, dont'cha?")
Hmm... Ok. And yes, I do know which conversation that is.

So just played the new version. Lot's of improved dialog, good job. I don't understand why you chose to remove those solid platforms up above in Grass Hills. It was much better with them. The signpost before hand did almost nothing for me. The slightly changed pyramid is okay though. The level design for the continued sunken ruins is much improved. I do think that you over used the spike though. It would be best to remove the sandcrocs from the sand in the water, because you move slower in the water, so it's impossible to evade the sandcrocs. The path going up through the command tower was more interesting, but too challenging for my taste, especially due to the distinct lack of save points. I could have sworn that there used to be a save point right outside where the Colons are being held... It would be nice to have a save point there. Also, I don't like how the door to the sanctuary is locked on your way back down, so you can't save your game there either. Anyway, nice added cutscene, and nice that you fixed the glitch with the Colons still having not teleported through when you have (almost making it look like you abandoned them!). I didn't see any jerky camera, so you must have fixed that at a certain piont, and I see you also fixed the door in year two. So, I have PMed you the copy of the release with the pyramid music added. I included a save in the folder so that you can get right to the level without any editing. But I hope that you do some editing to the mod for the purpose of fixing some of this stuff. But some of your additions are pretty good. Mind if I use elements from your additions in my eventual continuation?

Feb 29, 2012 at 3:22 AM
Veteran Member
HaydenStudios said:
Oh. Well, after playing through it again, I still don't know why.
It was because I'd already made this:
HaydenStudios said:
The path going up through the command tower was more interesting
Now you can't just ROFLMACHINEGUN your way to the top ;)

HaydenStudios said:
So just played the new version. Lot's of improved dialog, good job.
I... don't remember changing much in that sense from the previous one. But thanks anyway!

HaydenStudios said:
I don't understand why you chose to remove those solid platforms up above in Grass Hills. It was much better with them. The signpost before hand did almost nothing for me. The slightly changed pyramid is okay though. The level design for the continued sunken ruins is much improved. I do think that you over used the spike though.
These and the new path up Command Tower (and the new start of Tunnel), are all things taken from Kaeso's other mod.
I would have liked to place the fake floor somewhere that took less time to get back to, but I couldn't think of any other place. I wanted it to be after you got the Fireball, which, together with the signpost, is more courtesy than the other mod offered... same goes for the signpost before the holes in the pyramid.

I thought I might get that critique about the spikes... but this was one of the few parts that I really enjoyed from the other mod, so I wanted to salvage it in its entirety.
If I was to reduce it, I wouldn't know where to stop :hoppy:

HaydenStudios said:
It would be best to remove the sandcrocs from the sand in the water, because you move slower in the water, so it's impossible to evade the sandcrocs.
Uh... you're supposed to jump from block to block. I put the skulls and bones there (they were not present in the original mod) precisely to let the player know not to just walk on the floor. Plus, you presumably just saved in front of the storehouse anyway.

HaydenStudios said:
The path going up through the command tower was more interesting, but too challenging for my taste
Well it IS the end of the mod. I had no intention of making an actual equivalent to Hell, but the idea is more or less the same (having to go through a long series of obstacles without dying, with a boss thrown in for good measure).

HaydenStudios said:
I could have sworn that there used to be a save point right outside where the Colons are being held... It would be nice to have a save point there. Also, I don't like how the door to the sanctuary is locked on your way back down, so you can't save your game there either.
Why would you want to save immediately before the end of the game? First time players could do that and then feel ripped off that their only save is now moments away from the end. That's why I locked the door.
Similarly, yes, I removed the save outside the Laboratory to prevent players from saving after beating the "final boss" (the Assassins). That's pretty much videogame logic 101.
I suppose I could have made it disappear after the fight, but really before the fight you can just take the elevator and go back to the Sanctuary and thus save even after the General's speech, if you wish to. You will then only have to ride it back and go through Ventilation again.

HaydenStudios said:
Anyway, nice added cutscene
Thanks! That took quite a bit of work. That's the point where I was trying to have smoke continously going. According to plan, there would have been puffs all over that particular floor that would stop as Curly stepped next to the hole.
I wanted Arthur to leap into the robot but turns out King can only jump to the right <_<
I also couldn't find the sound effect of the sword weapon so I had to settle for the closest I ran into. I didn't mean for the sword to move with that trajectory, but I decided it'd do.
...and I didn't want mini-Assassin to make noises either but couldn't prevent it.

HaydenStudios said:
and nice that you fixed the glitch with the Colons still having not teleported through when you have (almost making it look like you abandoned them!).
Yeah that was a major WTF moment.

HaydenStudios said:
I didn't see any jerky camera, so you must have fixed that at a certain piont, and I see you also fixed the door in year two.
Yep. Thanks for all the help with those :)

HaydenStudios said:
So, I have PMed you the copy of the release with the pyramid music added. I included a save in the folder so that you can get right to the level without any editing.
Great, thanks!
So what track did you replace with it?

HaydenStudios said:
But I hope that you do some editing to the mod for the purpose of fixing some of this stuff.
Doubtful... if you're more specific on how much you think I should cut from the spiky part in Sunken Ruins I could do that, but otherwise I'm quite happy with how this version turned out.

HaydenStudios said:
But some of your additions are pretty good. Mind if I use elements from your additions in my eventual continuation?
Sure, feel free to use anything! :mrgreen:

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Based Member
It was because I'd already made this:
Now you can't just ROFLMACHINEGUN your way to the top ;)
Yep, which is a good thing.

I... don't remember changing much in that sense from the previous one. But thanks anyway!
Really? I could have sworn that there was even more changed dialog in this version.

These and the new path up Command Tower (and the new start of Tunnel), are all things taken from Kaeso's other mod.
Ah.
I would have liked to place the fake floor somewhere that took less time to get back to, but I couldn't think of any other place. I wanted it to be after you got the Fireball, which, together with the signpost, is more courtesy than the other mod offered... same goes for the signpost before the holes in the pyramid.
Well, I'm sorry to say, but just because you've either been saving an idea, or because it's an unused element from another mod, doesn't necessarily mean that it's a good idea.

I thought I might get that critique about the spikes... but this was one of the few parts that I really enjoyed from the other mod, so I wanted to salvage it in its entirety.
If I was to reduce it, I wouldn't know where to stop :hoppy:
Hrmm. alright.

Uh... you're supposed to jump from block to block. I put the skulls and bones there (they were not present in the original mod) precisely to let the player know not to just walk on the floor. Plus, you presumably just saved in front of the storehouse anyway.
Yes, but it's still annoying not to be able to evade them. The Cave Story engine was never meant for that.

Why would you want to save immediately before the end of the game? First time players could do that and then feel ripped off that their only save is now moments away from the end. That's why I locked the door.
Similarly, yes, I removed the save outside the Laboratory to prevent players from saving after beating the "final boss" (the Assassins). That's pretty much videogame logic 101.
It would probably be best to do this:
I suppose I could have made it disappear after the fight,
There you go.
but really before the fight you can just take the elevator and go back to the Sanctuary and thus save even after the General's speech, if you wish to. You will then only have to ride it back and go through Ventilation again.
And I really shouldn't have to do that. The command tower NEEDS another save point somewhere. I died during the assasin fight, and started al the way back at the sanctuary.

Yeah that was a major WTF moment.
Yep.

Yep. Thanks for all the help with those :)
Certainly.

Great, thanks!
So what track did you replace with it?
I replaced Final Cave.

Doubtful... if you're more specific on how much you think I should cut from the spiky part in Sunken Ruins I could do that,
Meh, it's alright.
but otherwise I'm quite happy with how this version turned out.
Well, those non solid tiles in grass hills need to be changed back to solid. And I the command tower really needs an extra save point somewhere.

Sure, feel free to use anything! :mrgreen:
Thank you!

EDIT: 225th post, new sprite title!