Curly's Past

Feb 1, 2012 at 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Okay, I have something of an announcement to make:

I've just finished preparing a new release of Kaeso's Mod
Curly Brace's Story
(The download in that thread is gone, so I'm taking the liberty of posting a download link here)

It had started as something quite simple. I really enjoyed playing that mod and in the end, I felt that even in its unfinished condition, it already had told what could well be considered a complete story (revealing how Curly found the Colons and how she came to distrust other robots).
The only problem was that the way the mod abruptly ended it promised more. So I armed myself with Sue's Workshop and changed the epilogue of Year 3.
But then I felt that a certain item was missing, so I worked on including that... and then I started tweaking the dialogue here and there (I'd like to say "polished and enriched", but of course it's a matter of taste. Kaeso could love my changes or hate them. Like the Korons now called Colons, or the emphasized guilt Curly feels over the death of their father)... eventually I realized this was shaping up to be more than a minor fix.
Having played Kaeso's other abandoned mod (also gone, posting it here), I also used some layouts and concepts from it to integrate ones that I found lacking in this (reasoning that the odds that this other more obscure mod may some day be continued are really slim).

Now I'm all done. I don't know if anybody has means to contact the author whom I realize hasn't been active on the board since May, but I would like to have Kaeso's approval if possible.
So if anybody here can help me there, that would be greatly appreciated.

Now, about what I've actually done.
First and foremost, I should note that I've taken the liberty of changing the title. Since Nicalis has claimed the name "Curly's Story" for their character swap mode in Cave Story ports, I decided to call this "Curly's Past".
With that said, here's a list of most of the things changed in this version.
- Changed the intro (I removed the Doctor, signifying that he hasn't come to the island yet).
- Changed the title logo
- Gone over all dialogues in the game, fixing punctation, making improvements etc. I would consider this the main feature.
- New mugshots have been made to give Curly and Arthur a wider range of emotions and some of the ones made by Kaeso have been touched up (angry Curly must have been saved as a jpg at some point, she was a bit blurry)
- A few "easter eggs" have been added (the epilogue room has been turned into one)
- Pipes have been added to the Ancient Cave, to make the fetch quests there less time consuming.
- All glicthes I could find have been fixed (the most prominent being the chance to skip the fight against enraged father, the inability to use the door in Arthur's house and to get back in power generator room 1) and several adjustments have been made to improve the code (like say, the timing of certain events).
- Tweaked a few areas to adjust the difficulty (in particular Tunnel, Sunken City and Command Tower). Some save points have been added, some removed. These areas are now integrated with layouts and concepts from Kaeso's other mod.
- The sprites of Arthur and the General have been touched up (Arthur's eyes and the General's shading)
- In the War Dungeon it's now possible to spot the Mimiga soldiers before they spot you, thus making escape a matter of caution rather than trial and error.
- Another area within Mimiga village has been re-opened.
- With the help of HaydenStudios the Pyramid now has its all new music composed by Wedge of Cheese.
- A few items have been added (including that especially dearly missed item).
- Made it impossible to save after defeating the "final boss".
- Gave the game something of an ending (albeit short and simplicistic).

Just so we're clear here: I have not made a continuation of this mod. I merely polished it and wrapped it up. There is hardly any more playtime to be found in this than in the original.

Anyway, without further ado, here is the new version of the mod.

Curly's Past

Known bugs:
None.

Possible Developments:
None from me, I'm done!

Feb 1, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Okay, I have something of an announcement/request to make:
I've just finished preparing a new release of this mod.
*Heart jumps into his throat.*

Just so we're clear here: I have not made a continuation of this mod. I merely polished it and wrapped it up.
*Huge sigh of relief.*
First off, these are generally good improvements. Second, I was planning on reviving this mod after I finish my current one and learn assembly, so I will be greatful if you stay true to not taking my idea. But I wouldn't mind if you released this version of yours even though my first release would consist a lot of changes, some like what you did, and some worse. I just hope that you're okay with me continuing this mod, and that you didn't have any future intentions of doing so.

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Veteran Member
Haha, well it's not like either of us can lay any claim of exclusivity, right? This is after all Kaeso's mod, not mine nor yours.
And the game, legally, is Pixel's (or Nicalis' I guess).

I'd just like to have Kaeso's approval before releasing this out of politeness and respect (and for the same reasons, I would not publicly release it if Kaeso told me not to).

Anyway no, I wasn't really thinking of continuing it. I'm quite happy with it being a short prequel... but if once I release this, you'd like to include some of my changes in your continuation, I would be delighted to see that.
Heck, if you like what I did and wanted to, we could even team up and work on the continuation together :)
I for one, really enjoyed your work with the fourth ending mod.

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:18 AM
Based Member
Haha, well it's not like either of us can lay any claim of exclusivity, right? This is after all Kaeso's mod, not mine nor yours.
And the game, legally, is Pixel's (or Nicalis' I guess).
Indeed.

I'd just like to have Kaeso's approval before releasing this out of politeness and respect (and for the same reasons, I would not publicly release it if Kaeso told me not to).
I'm seriously doubtful that we'll be able to contact Kaeso. That user's latest activity was May 2011. So he/she will probably never know, and probably never care.

Anyway no, I wasn't really thinking of continuing it. I'm quite happy with it being a short prequel... but if once I release this, you'd like to include some of my changes in your continuation, I would be delighted to see that.
Some of your changes resembled mine, but most of the changes I've had in mind were in the same places, but more really redesigns than slight changes. But who knows?
Heck, if you like what I did and wanted to, we could even team up and work on the continuation together :)
I for one, really enjoyed your work with the fourth ending mod.
If you would be okay with most any decisions of mine in changing the mod slightly from Kaeso's original vision, but not any totally outlandish changes, and would allow a to have the final say in the decisions of storyline and script editing, then I would like that. As for my fourth ending, thank you! That was kindof a warm-up mod for me before I get into any serious modding, hehe. But it will be some time still before I will be ready to continue this mod, as I'm still cleansing my fourth ending mod of glitches, and I also want to have a fairly firm understanding of Cave Story assembly before reviving this mod.

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:35 AM
Veteran Member
I'm seriously doubtful that we'll be able to contact Kaeso. That user's latest activity was May 2011. So he/she will probably never know, and probably never care.
I've seen people return from longer periods of inactivity... that and I was hoping someone here might be friends with Kaeso and know some e-mail address I could try writing to.

Some of your changes resembled mine, but most of the changes I've had in mind were in the same places, but more really redesigns than slight changes. But who knows?
We'll see then :)
(Unless Kaeso shows up to ask me not to distribute the mod, of course)

If you would be okay with most any decisions of mine in changing the mod slightly from Kaeso's original vision, but not any totally outlandish changes, and would allow a to have the final say in the decisions of storyline and script editing, then I would like that.
Final say, eh? Sure I understand how's it like to have a vision and not want it compromised.
I wish I could PM you, but sadly I'm still not allowed to do that (is there a post number I must reach first?)

As for my fourth ending, thank you! That was kindof a warm-up mod for me before I get into any serious modding, hehe. But it will be some time still before I will be ready to continue this mod, as I'm still cleansing my fourth ending mod of glitches
You should also try to come up with and provide a reason for the core to be where it is by the time you reach the Doctor.
That was the only "Uh...?" moment I experienced while playing your mod.
Good luck with your ASM learning!

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:49 AM
Based Member
I've seen people return from longer periods of inactivity... that and I was hoping someone here might be friends with Kaeso and know some e-mail address I could try writing to.
Indeed, it is possible, and he/she said earlier on this thread that he/she would finish this mod even if it killed him/her. Shmitz's return is an example for all, and he even won the second annual kanpachis for best return.

We'll see then :)
(Unless Kaeso shows up to ask me not to distribute the mod, of course)
Of course.

Final say, eh? Sure I understand how's it like to have a vision and not want it compromised.
Thanks, I'm glad you didn't take that too harshly.
I wish I could PM you, but sadly I'm still not allowed to do that (is there a post number I must reach first?)
You must be a member for at least ten days before you can use the personal messaging system. Don't worry, you'll have access to it soon! :)

You should also try to come up with and provide a reason for the core to be where it is by the time you reach the Doctor.
That was the only "Uh...?" moment I experienced while playing your mod.
Alright, now that you're the third person who's said that to me, it's obvious I need to do something. I just thought of an idea, and will try to execute it in my next release.
Good luck with your ASM learning!
Thank you!

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:01 AM
Veteran Member
Shmitz's return is an example for all, and he even won the second annual kanpachis for best return.
Shmitz's back? Has he resumed working on his mod?

Thanks, I'm glad you didn't take that too harshly.
Not at all! I too have a project (a fangame, not a mod) that I could use help with but that I feel just as strongly about, so I know where you're coming from.

You must be a member for at least ten days before you can use the personal messaging system. Don't worry, you'll have access to it soon! :)
Great! Then expect to receive some soon ;)

Alright, now that you're the third person who's said that to me, it's obvious I need to do something. I just thought of an idea, and will try to execute it in my next release.
I might have some advice to PM you about that as well. It's probably a tad too ambitious though without ASM hacking skills.

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:11 AM
Based Member
Shmitz's back? Has he resumed working on his mod?
He's kinda back. He doesn't look like he's gonna continue Jenka's Nightmare his own way, but he has interacted a bit since his initial return, and has been logging back on occasionally ever since.

I might have some advice to PM you about that as well. It's probably a tad too ambitious though without ASM hacking skills.
While I am trying to refrain from using any ASM hacks on my mod, because I'll want Andwhyisit to port it, I would still like to hear what your advice is. Also, why wait to tell me? My mod's development thread would be the perfect place to present your idea. I don't see why it would absolutely have to be via PMing that you tell me.

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:21 AM
Veteran Member
He's kinda back. He doesn't look like he's gonna continue Jenka's Nightmare his own way
Ah, I see. I'd really love to know what his vision for the story was. The whole Genesis/Oblivion thing had me completely hooked up.

While I am trying to refrain from using any ASM hacks on my mod, because I'll want Andwhyisit to port it, I would still like to hear what your advice is.
Speaking of which, I'd love to have this mod (Curly's Story/Curly's Past) working under the challenges in CS+... any idea what would need to be done for that to happen?

Also, why wait to tell me? My mod's development thread would be the perfect place to present your idea. I don't see why it would absolutely have to be via PMing that you tell me.
Because then if you decide to go for it, you can shock and awe everybody here! ;)
Have patience, I'll PM you in a day or two :debug:

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:52 AM
Based Member
Ah, I see. I'd really love to know what his vision for the story was. The whole Genesis/Oblivion thing had me completely hooked up.
Yeah. Shmitz probably would have had a more climactic ending and final boss.

Speaking of which, I'd love to have this mod (Curly's Story/Curly's Past) working under the challenges in CS+... any idea what would need to be done for that to happen?
See this topic. If Curly Brace's Story were to be played in CS+, then there would have to be a bit of changing the base sprites in order for it to work properly. I don't THINK this mod uses any assembly hacking, so it would be compatible, I think, with CS+ if you changed the base sprites to match those used in Curly Brace's Story.

Because then if you decide to go for it, you can shock and awe everybody here! ;)
Have patience, I'll PM you in a day or two :debug:
Alright, I'll wait. Just a reminder, we're getting a bit off-topic, not that a lot of people care though...

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:04 AM
Veteran Member
Shmitz probably would have had a more climactic ending and final boss.
Mostly I'm curious about how he intended the whole situation to be resolved in terms of story. He really seemed to have something very specific and elaborate in mind.

See this topic. If Curly Brace's Story were to be played in CS+, then there would have to be a bit of changing the base sprites in order for it to work properly. I don't THINK this mod uses any assembly hacking, so it would be compatible, I think, with CS+ if you changed the base sprites to match those used in Curly Brace's Story.
Mh... if that was the only issue, then I would have gotten the game running properly but with the wrong sprites/portraits. However, when I tried the game begun in the grotto where Quote is with Curly saying her line upon inspecting him... and everything pitch black, including the characters :confused:

Just a reminder, we're getting a bit off-topic, not that a lot of people care though...
Back on topic then!

The glitch I could not fix, a very minor one, happens in Arthur's house. When the teleporter is set to the Sand Zone, upon taking it as the screen fades out you can hear the sound of letters appearing (though none appear).
I haven't, for the life of me, been able to figure out why this happens.

Do you think you can find out?

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:17 AM
Based Member
Mh... if that was the only issue, then I would have gotten the game running properly but with the wrong sprites/portraits. However, when I tried the game begun in the grotto where Quote is with Curly saying her line upon inspecting him... and everything pitch black, including the characters :confused:
Ah, the reason that would be happening is because each mod selects a certain room and position to start. And Cave Story selects grotto. I'm afraid you won't be able to fix that, as the character start position is stored in the .exe (I think).

Back on topic then!

The glitch I could not fix, a very minor one, happens in Arthur's house. When the teleporter is set to the Sand Zone, upon taking it as the screen fades out you can hear the sound of letters appearing (though none appear).
I haven't, for the life of me, been able to figure out why this happens.

Do you think you can find out?
That sounds like the kind of bug that shouldn't be too hard to fix. Usually this is caused by the wrong event assigned, and it jumping to the correct one, or an extra character in the code. My examination of the code, fixing it up, making my changes, and releasing my first unofficial version of it will not take place until I'm satisfied that my current mod has been 100% completed.

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:26 AM
Veteran Member
Ah, the reason that would be happening is because each mod selects a certain room and position to start. And Cave Story selects grotto. I'm afraid you won't be able to fix that, as the character start position is stored in the .exe (I think).
Mh... maybe if I switched around the two rooms (changing their visualized map name, objects, scripts etc...)

That sounds like the kind of bug that shouldn't be too hard to fix. Usually this is caused by the wrong event assigned, and it jumping to the correct one
Ah! You got it! The teleporter was telling the game to play event 91 when going to Sand Zone, but that event does not exist, the first one is 99... so I guess the sound I was hearing was the game trying to display #0099 without a dialogue box.

Thanks!

There's also another thing I was considering before an official release. You know the "final boss"?
The assassin robots? I was wondering if it would be possible to make their hit points vary depending on whether the player has a certain item or not. Do you think that's feasible with just a few strings of code?

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:34 AM
Based Member
Mh... maybe if I switched around the two rooms (changing their visualized map name, objects, scripts etc...)
That could work, if you accommodated all of the references to the maps. But I don't think that such toil should be done with the mod using the original Cave Story's engine.

Ah! You got it! The teleporter was telling the game to play event 91 when going to Sand Zone, but that event does not exist, the first one is 99... so I guess the sound I was hearing was the game trying to display #0099 without a dialogue box.

Thanks!
Sure.

There's also another thing I was considering before an official release. You know the "final boss"?
The assassin robots? I was wondering if it would be possible to make their hit points vary depending on whether the player has a certain item or not. Do you think that's feasible with just a few strings of code?
I currently do not know of any way to do that without assembly. The thing about that fight that I'm looking forward to editing is giving each of the four their own individual health bars so that not just one of them can take damage at a time, and taking away the pause and message box with each defeat, cause I think both of those are kinda silly. Since I haven't looked into it yet, I'm not sure which of those I will need to use assembly to fix.

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:39 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
giving each of the four their own individual health bars so that not just one of them can take damage at a time, and taking away the pause and message box with each defeat, cause I think both of those are kinda silly.
That sounds suspiciously like the Gaudskateers from Jenka's Nigmare...

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:43 AM
Based Member
That sounds suspiciously like the Gaudskateers from Jenka's Nigmare...
The boss fight is already a ripoff of the Gaudskateers from JN. What I intend to change, however, is to make it so that you can damage more than one at a time, and so that it doesn't pause and have a message every time an enemy in the battle falls. It was already a ripoff of the Gaudskateers to begin with, I'm just saying what I'm going to do when i've learned assembly is not only make it a bit less of a ripoff of that fight, but also make the experience better. Cause when you battle them, you can only damage one at a time.

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:48 AM
Based Member
Feb 2, 2012 at 3:58 AM
Veteran Member
That could work, if you accommodated all of the references to the maps. But I don't think that such toil should be done with the mod using the original Cave Story's engine.
Yeah, not really worth it when I have to change the base files to accomodate it anyway.

I currently do not know of any way to do that without assembly.
Ah, too bad. How about changing their hit points period (without any conditions)? Think I can do that with Cave Editor?

The thing about that fight that I'm looking forward to editing is giving each of the four their own individual health bars so that not just one of them can take damage at a time, and taking away the pause and message box with each defeat, cause I think both of those are kinda silly.
Are you sure that is the case? Because I gave them different dialogues to speak upon dying (I actually rather like that) and over the course of playtests, I noticed they were told to me in different orders.
I do remember that being a big problem with the Gaudsketeers fight, but it didn't seem to be present here. Last playtest I killed the last one remaining with one shot after just having dispatched another one.

Also there is no visible health bar (unlike the Gaudsketeer fight).

Hey Dunc!
Any thoughts on my new version? (Or any advice to contact Kaeso?)

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:27 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I don't remember exactly whether or not LunarSoul was able to contact Shmitz before posting JN Revived, so I would think that whatever the case was there would be acceptable here as well.