Why did Curly sacrifice herself? (spoiler)

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:42 AM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
It looks like there hasn't been this thread yet, so:

Why did Curly Brace give her air tank, the only thing that kept her alive (online?), to Quote, a robot she barely knew? Seriously, just think about it. The two of them have just nearly destroyed the only thing that keeps the Island in the air, the Korons are in grave danger (if not already dead), the Doctor plans to release enraged Mimigas to the Surface and what does she do? She sacrifices herself so that you can live (and presumably save her ass... or not, if you don't feel like it). That's the sort of thing that would only Lawful Stupid do, and I don't think she's one of those jerks.
Quote has proven that the robots' programs do contain the principles of self-preservation. Since Quote and Curly do look similar and are both named in the same style, I presume they're the same type and thus share the same programming. And abandoning one's only source of air and letting oneself to drown doesn't look like self-preservation to me. I think she doesn't know about the tow rope. After all, she saves you whether you have it or not.
The more logical thing would be to leave Quote in the Core Chamber (or what's it called). Who the hell is he, anyway? Let's just see what weapons he had. Oh! A tow rope! Maybe I should bring him with me, he could be useful later on... What? Give him my air tank? Bite my shiny metal ass!
What would you do? Save a total stranger and die? Or get the hell out of here and never look back? It looks to me that the only reason to do such a stupid thing is that it wouldn't be that fun if you were unconscious for a half of the game.

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:28 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I bet everyone saw this long post coming a mile away ;p

Why did Curly sacrifice herself... Well...
In my opinion Curly Brace is somewhat of a broken robot.

You pretty much covered it, "...abandoning one's only source of air and letting oneself to drown doesn't look like self-preservation to me. ... The more logical thing would be to leave Quote in the Core Chamber (or what's it called). Who the hell is he, anyway? ... What would you do? Save a total stranger and die? ... Oh! A tow rope! Maybe I should bring him with me, he could be useful later on..."

Curly Brace...
===============================================
Facts :
1) You meet Curly as soon as you enter the sand zone, and she recognizes you as a scout robot immediately. She however does not engage and fight you immediately. And instead returns to the Mimigas she is protecting...
Doesn't that seem illogical? If she is protecting her Mimigas shouldn't she face you before letting you have a chance to kill her Korons?
Maybe she doesn't have her machine gun with her? Perhaps...
Maybe she is rushing back to make sure nobody has slipped past her and to make sure they are okay? Perhaps...

Or maybe... there's something between Quote and Curly. No, there is no accessible memory of that something. But, there's something there. She sees you and instead of confronting you immediately or before you make it to the Mimigas she looks at you for a long second before getting out of there.

And also I might ask what was she doing there? It seems odd that she would have just been standing there. I mean maybe she was collecting food, or had been using the teleporters... But, I still think there's something about Curly's behavior. She may have lost her memory, but we know it still existed within her somehow, as the mushroom magically restores it... (somehow..strangely hmm... hmm....)

2) When you confront her she doesn't give you a chance to explain and you basically have to fight life or death to take her out before she takes you out. A bit brash?
Maybe it took her a while to process why she recognized you? Ah! You must be one of those killer robots!
Well in any case you can see she takes things to the extreme when she finally does something.

3) After defeating her and telling her you are with the Mimigas. She just completely flips her story, and is :) that's right! That might mean she is very trusting when she gives you a chance to say or do something...

4) She had high hopes for you :p But she ended up bady damaged in a battle against Misery. [the battle must have been with Misery because, Balrog was sent to the Labyrinth. And it couldn't have happened on the way to the warehouse because Curly tells you she had high hopes for you, and hoped you could have taken out Misery/Balrog... Wait how did she even know they were around? Well maybe she talked with Jenka... ... wait maybe I'm wrong even yet. Well, when Curly got attacked by Misery, I imagine when she got defeated by Misery she exclaimed that a certain Robot will make you pay...]
But there you are, and she loses hope; she quickly sinks into despair, since she can't do anything, can't even move.
She's quick to accept the situation. But also brash and optimistic and trusting.

5) Quote saves Curly. You give the doctor the Cure-All restoring Curly, essentially saving her. She immediately goes after you [somehow passing you, probably more ways to get there in a 3d world, probably a safer way than Monster X's battle.]
She's eager to help you when you meet with her.

6) Balrog shows up and Curly is oblivious to the danger, and simply shouts, get in the middle! Help us! This is completely illogical and as you see, Curly was completely open to attack and gets plastered by Balrog when she leaves herself completely open...
Another demonstration of how she is somewhat oblivious and trusting.

7) Even after getting knocked out by Balrog she immediately forgives him when he helps out...
'He doesn't seem like a bad guy actually..!'
Then she's ready to kick ass and chew bubblegum in the monster's nest...

You know... she could be drawn to Quote for a reason beyond her understanding. Or perhaps she has some programming in her that sends her closer and closer to the core. Or it could just be coincidence as that's the only way out.
A person like Misery or the Doctor would probably call her simple minded. "That's what I hate about robots..."

8) Finally at the Core Base, she shows little caution and presses onwards with no hesitation. She has a lot of information though. Reflect on how quickly she recognizes Quote, his Polar Star, the place as a Base, how to fight, etc... But on the flip side, she rushes into things with little caution.

She doesn't wait for Quote before proceeding, as Quote does all the button pushing to open the doors. And when she notices for some reason the 4th gate is jammed, she simply looks at it...
But don't think her lazy or stupid. There's another possibility. All of these things she has been seeing, could be triggering lost memories or tugging at them. This is random, but there is probably significance to the jamming of the 4th gate.
Think of it like deja vu or a dream. You see something that you think you've seen before. Yet you can't place it anywhere. This is the kind of theory I have for Curly...

9) Yes this is it at last... After Curly and Misery trade words, we see that Curly had no clue about what the Core was. She fought against it because it was trying to kill them is basically it.

Soon as Misery leaves the water begins to rise, and Curly stops moving. She doesn't run around trying to find a way out, doesn't shout to Quote or even respond to Quote if you try to talk to her. She doesn't even look around she has her back turned.
Now I don't think she's just lazy or stupid and is thinking, "well now I take a nap". I sincerely think something is happening inside of her. In my opinion she is finally starting to remember something about her past.
Seems too random? Well, have you seen this post ? :
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/posts/40761/

It talks about another theory relating to the whole Ballos storyline that seems to come out of nowhere... In my opinion Curly might be having something similar happen to her. Maybe those same words? "Did you know that the witch-woman... etc" or whatever, in any case maybe that is making her remember something...

================================================

Quote is drowning before her, already at the point of freezing up.
Now you have some theories to work with :

She saves Quote because she's brash. Logic dictates that if Quote can defeat Curly, Quote should be the one to save them. He has the better odds.

She saves Quote because she is quick in intelligence, but not common sense. Perhaps Curly Brace realizes Quote won't last as long as Curly underwater.

She saves Quote because she is brash and often does things that are illogical. Quote spared her when they fought. Quote saved her when she was injured. This choice might be the most natural in the world to her.

She saves Quote because something is triggering inside her. Maybe it's a program. The same reason why Quote and Curly are compelled to reach Hell, and have those narration flashbacks. Maybe she realizes Quote is invaluable. He has to take priority...

She saves Quote because something is triggering inside her. Her memory. Perhaps it's only some images, or a feeling or abstract and incomplete data. Maybe being with Quote is the most natural thing in the world, and/or she experienced a similar situation once. If she remembered Quote somehow, then it might completely affect the choice she makes to believe in Quote.

Foolish? Trusting? Illogical? Not concerned for her own well-being compared to others?
This is why I call her a broken robot. But it's also why I love her lol

I have this picture in my mind, that the first time Quote and Curly meets, it's because she foolishly protects Quote against overwhelming odds.
Picture it : Quote the one man army, is placed in a terrible situation. Ambush? He takes out countless enemies, but simply can't stop all of them. In the blazing scene there are just too many. Knocked down, it seems like death is finally here and he accepts it. But then, a robot never created for war holding a fallen enemy's weapon, stands in front of Quote alone protecting him.

This is the kind of flawed personality I think she has...

Jul 13, 2008 at 9:23 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Maybe her feelings for Quote seeped through from her lost memories (sisterly love or something else).

Also Curly cared about the korons and she put her life at risk to protect them. She never hesitates to protect the things in life that she cares about the most, even at great cost to herself.

Oh and I started to write a long post but.. *shrug* too lazy.

Jul 13, 2008 at 9:26 AM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Quote was way better in combat than Curly - her inefficiency in the boss fight in Sand Zone proves that. Also, she was willing to trade her only weapon for a Polar Star that looked in very bad shape determines her character as being very trusting of somebody whom she probably recognised as being a robot (which would be why she wanted to pwn him in the first place).

Despite her help in the Labyrinth and the Core fight, she was smart enough to realise that if one of them had to go, it'd have to be Curly. Also, I think she lost her will to live after the mimiga children were presumably captured.

andwhyisit said:
Maybe her feelings for Quote seeped through from her lost memories (sisterly love or something else).

Also Curly cared about the korons and she put her life at risk to protect them. She never hesitates to protect the things in life that she cares about the most, even at great cost to herself.

Oh and I started to write a long post but.. *shrug* too lazy.
Although Curly never showed any signs of knowing what exactly Quote is up to, it would take an idiot to not realise that the fate of all life on the island depended on it (remember Misery's cold laugh when the Core was supposedly damaged beyond repair?). She cared more about the mimigas than herself, and wanted to let Quote survive, because he was the one entrusted with the quest, whereas she was just a companion in the journey to getting off the Labyrinth. After the Korons were captured, Quote was the only one to live for,

Also, Curly specifically says "I thought you'd do better but you got tossed here too", meaning she knew Quote was superior in combat.

Jul 13, 2008 at 9:36 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
Quote was way better in combat than Curly - her inefficiency in the boss fight in Sand Zone proves that. Also, she was willing to trade her only weapon for a Polar Star that looked in very bad shape determines her character as being very trusting of somebody whom she probably recognised as being a robot (which would be why she wanted to pwn him in the first place).

Despite her help in the Labyrinth and the Core fight, she was smart enough to realise that if one of them had to go, it'd have to be Curly.
First impressions don't always stick with you, especially when they are proven wrong. Quote earnt her trust many times with his selfless personality. Also curly only had a machine gun vs the doctor and misery (two final boss fights in one), as opposed to Quote getting off lucky with just a frenzied Toroko.

Also Quote could have killed her in the sand zone, he had the opportunity but didn't. He says he is with the mimigas and this is proved by not making an effort to kill them. That has gotta earn some trust points.

Roonil Wazlib said:
Also, I think she lost her will to live after the mimiga children were presumably captured.
Yeah, it's possible.

Jul 13, 2008 at 9:49 AM
Respwnt
andwhyisit said:
First impressions don't always stick with you, especially when they are proven wrong.
It'd be really naive to trust someone when all they do is say "No" to "I suppose you're gonna kill the mimigas". He's using her, for all she knew. I believe it had to do with the name on the hat (yes, that thing all over again).

andwhyisit said:
Also curly only had a machine gun vs the doctor and misery (two final boss fights in one), as opposed to Quote getting off lucky with just a frenzied Toroko.
There is nothing to suggest that she had even met the Doctor before the Core, let alone fight him. It's likely that Misery simply telported her over without giving her a chance to resist, just like she did Quote and Balrog.

andwhyisit said:
Quote earnt her trust many times with his selfless personality.
I'd say this is most likely true, but it still wouldn't make any sense why she'd give herself up unless he was a better fighter and more likely to see it through to the end.

Jul 13, 2008 at 12:47 PM
This Troper
Some of the theories offered by X-Calibar are definitely possible, since we don't know what's happening inside her. I do however prefer to separate the story and actual gameplay. Let's see... You can't assume that Quote is simply better than Curly based on one fight. When two equally strong opponents struggle, one eventually has to win. It's only that you have to win in order to continue the storyline. Also, you kick her ass, she becomes your friend. Haven't we seen that somewhere already? Yep, that's right. Toroko. She jumps out with a stick in her hand (paw?), you shoot her, and guess what? She becomes your friend. That's weird.
Then, I'm sure that if there was better AI in the game, Curly wouldn't act so recklessly in the battle (with the Core). Then again, she has a peresonality of a fighter. But that would mean she'd rather die trying to save her beloved ones than drown in such a stupid way.
That thing with Balrog, well... She did say she didn't think he's that bad. And he really got caught on her... uh, trick? Whatever that was, if he was any dumber, he would realiye that only after he helped them lift that rock. Curly got knocked out, I dunno, maybe because she believed that he'd really help them. Quote, on the other hand, already had experience with him and was cautious. Or, because the fight wasn't that hard and Curly's help would take away all the challenge.
Shit, not enough time. Maybe I'll post the rest later.

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:20 PM
Respwnt
T-Jack said:
Some of the theories offered by X-Calibar are definitely possible, since we don't know what's happening inside her. I do however prefer to separate the story and actual gameplay. Let's see... You can't assume that Quote is simply better than Curly based on one fight. When two equally strong opponents struggle, one eventually has to win. It's only that you have to win in order to continue the storyline. Also, you kick her ass, she becomes your friend. Haven't we seen that somewhere already? Yep, that's right. Toroko. She jumps out with a stick in her hand (paw?), you shoot her, and guess what? She becomes your friend. That's weird.
Then, I'm sure that if there was better AI in the game, Curly wouldn't act so recklessly in the battle (with the Core). Then again, she has a peresonality of a fighter. But that would mean she'd rather die trying to save her beloved ones than drown in such a stupid way.
That thing with Balrog, well... She did say she didn't think he's that bad. And he really got caught on her... uh, trick? Whatever that was, if he was any dumber, he would realiye that only after he helped them lift that rock. Curly got knocked out, I dunno, maybe because she believed that he'd really help them. Quote, on the other hand, already had experience with him and was cautious.
Shit, not enough time. Maybe I'll post the rest later.
1. Quote dialogues with Toroko are omitted, therefore it seems weird. Toroko is a lot more timid and weak than Curly, mind you. Whether or not Quote is the better fighter, he's the one that knows what the hell is going on whereas Curly didn't really have a purpose of living after the Korons were captured.

Also note that it wasn't an equal fight because Curly had the element of surprise with her, and four mimigas to help out in the fight and Quote was all alone trying not to kill and avoid getting killed himself at the same time.

2. That's just a way out of it, but yes, we can't judge who's better simply by looking at who got knocked out and who didn't.
T-Jack said:
Or, because the fight wasn't that hard and Curly's help would take away all the challenge.
Going by that logic, Curly died because keeping her alive would mean Quote-Curly co-op for the rest of the game which would take the challenge off it. :p

Jul 13, 2008 at 2:23 PM
Justin-chan
She probably already knew that Quote was better than her after losing to him in her very own residence. Therefore she wanted Quote to survive so he can save the Earth, since she is set of the thought that she is not as strong as Quote.

Thats just my thought and I didn't read through all of your long winded posts.

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:28 PM
Indie game enthusiast
jcys810 said:
I didn't read through all of your long winded posts.
boo lol

"Roonil Wazlib" said:
There is nothing to suggest that she had even met the Doctor before the Core, let alone fight him. It's likely that Misery simply telported her over without giving her a chance to resist, just like she did Quote and Balrog.
Yeah, I don't think she went to help Quote or Jenka, more likely Misery came to her place teleporting in and started snatching. A quick battle ensues but Misery comes out on top... I mean Curly never knew about the whole red flower situation, she probably stayed close to the Korons, which is why she says she couldn't protect them or something right?

"Roonil Wazlib" said:
Quote was way better in combat than Curly - her inefficiency in the boss fight in Sand Zone proves that.
I think Curly is probably a very good fighter. Think of Hell, she is invaluable then lol But, I don't think she's currently on the same level Quote gets to be. Well, for one she gets knocked out several times, and terribly injured, in cases where Quote triumphs. On the other hand realize she doesn't get injured when fighting the Core, and in the monster nest she has no problem [even if she isn't nearly as efficient as the human player]. Even if her skills are on equal terms with Quote I'll at least say she seems more prone to damage.

But as for Quote's abilities... Realize that entire armies of robots were sent to the island, and all those robots in the Core Base couldn't handle the Core battle, whereas Quote and Curly do what the killer robots/scout robots could not. And Quote is taking out frenzied Mimigas, whereas the masses of robots were defeated by the frenzied Mimigas. And they are actually used to assualt the earth resulting in a terrible war. Not a battle, but a war.
And being able to take on Misery, the Doctor and Ballos is just over my head, that has to make Q and C miracle fighters.

"T-Jack" said:
Toroko. She jumps out with a stick in her hand (paw?), you shoot her, and guess what? She becomes your friend. That's weird.
lol yeah that is weird. But, I guess it's due to the circumstances, but still lol. I need to try that... ;p

The polar star.
At lvl 1 it kills a bat in one hit. So a lvl 1 has enough electrical power to kill a rat. Just shooting Toroko once is enough to cause her to fall down in momentary pain. Like a little cattle prod laser.
*ow!* EEeeek! Save me ! Save me !
..... You're not with the Doctor?? Oh... sorry.... You had me worried!
She kind of earned that, she hits you with a stick on the head lol [if you get hit like I did lol] And you didn't really hurt her, so she probably realizes she was wrong to attack you. [unless you decided to lvl 3 her]

As for Curly... she's strange ;) Not timid at all. She does as much as she can, and nothing more. Very accepting and straightforward usually...

Movie example : (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - Dad hits Indiana with the vase before confirming who it is lol)

"Roonil Wazlib" said:
Also, she was willing to trade her only weapon for a Polar Star that looked in very bad shape determines her character as being very trusting of somebody whom she probably recognised as being a robot (which would be why she wanted to pwn him in the first place).
wow nice catch lol I forgot about that... Well on the plus side she isn't just giving away her weapon without taking yours. And you may have just beaten her with it lol So if she's being smart she WANTS that polar star lol

But still more likely she's just being innocent and notices how beat up your gun is so she doesn't hesitate to do something to help you.
Flash forward to the air tank incident...
She sees you are drowning and doesn't hesitate to do something that will immediately help you. Instead of looking for a more normal complex solution.

You could attribute part of the reason she does all of this to her memory loss though. If you have lost your memory, there's no telling what you'd do! You simply don't have the experiences to make accurate judgements...
This could explain why she is so quick to do these things.

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:49 PM
In front of a computer
X-Calibar said:
[the battle must have been with Misery because, Balrog was sent to the Labyrinth. And it couldn't have happened on the way to the warehouse because Curly tells you she had high hopes for you, and hoped you could have taken out Misery/Balrog... Wait how did she even know they were around? Well maybe she talked with Jenka... ... wait maybe I'm wrong even yet. Well, when Curly got attacked by Misery, I imagine when she got defeated by Misery she exclaimed that a certain Robot will make you pay...]
I think what happened is that Misery and Balrog appear, Misery sends Quote and Balrog to the labyrinth, then she teleports over to Curly's house and sends the Korons to the Doctor, but Curly resists and is damaged before being sent to the labyrinth.

X-Calibar said:
5) Quote saves Curly. You give the doctor the Cure-All restoring Curly, essentially saving her. She immediately goes after you [somehow passing you, probably more ways to get there in a 3d world, probably a safer way than Monster X's battle.]
She's eager to help you when you meet with her.
Yes, because you saved her life so she saves yours.

X-Calibar said:
6) Balrog shows up and Curly is oblivious to the danger, and simply shouts, get in the middle! Help us! This is completely illogical and as you see, Curly was completely open to attack and gets plastered by Balrog when she leaves herself completely open...
Another demonstration of how she is somewhat oblivious and trusting.
But I don't think she has actually seen Balrog before, which partially explains why she is so trusting.

X-Calibar said:
7) Even after getting knocked out by Balrog she immediately forgives him when he helps out...
'He doesn't seem like a bad guy actually..!'
Then she's ready to kick ass and chew bubblegum in the monster's nest...
Well, yeah – he could've just run off and left the rock there after being defeated, but instead he helps them move it.

X-Calibar said:
She has a lot of information though. Reflect on how quickly she recognizes Quote, his Polar Star, the place as a Base, how to fight, etc...
Especially since the Polar Star is supposedly created by the hermit gunsmith, meaning it's not a standard model. Unless, of course, the hermit gunsmith is basing his gun design on a standard model...

X-Calibar said:
It talks about another theory relating to the whole Ballos storyline that seems to come out of nowhere... In my opinion Curly might be having something similar happen to her. Maybe those same words? "Did you know that the witch-woman... etc" or whatever, in any case maybe that is making her remember something...
Maybe... perhaps that was their mission briefing?

X-Calibar said:
She saves Quote because she is brash and often does things that are illogical. Quote spared her when they fought. Quote saved her when she was injured. This choice might be the most natural in the world to her.
I consider this a likely possibility.

X-Calibar said:
She saves Quote because something is triggering inside her. Her memory. Perhaps it's only some images, or a feeling or abstract and incomplete data. Maybe being with Quote is the most natural thing in the world, and/or she experienced a similar situation once. If she remembered Quote somehow, then it might completely affect the choice she makes to believe in Quote.
Yes, she may be just starting to remember.

X-Calibar said:
I have this picture in my mind, that the first time Quote and Curly meets, it's because she foolishly protects Quote against overwhelming odds.
Picture it : Quote the one man army, is placed in a terrible situation. Ambush? He takes out countless enemies, but simply can't stop all of them. In the blazing scene there are just too many. Knocked down, it seems like death is finally here and he accepts it. But then, a robot never created for war holding a fallen enemy's weapon, stands in front of Quote alone protecting him.
But I thought Curly and Quote were designed as a team... though it's possible that Quote was designed more for combat and Curly more for scouting or stealth.

Jul 13, 2008 at 8:02 PM
In front of a computer
...Maybe...

Jul 13, 2008 at 8:46 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Celtic Minstrel said:
I think what happened is that Misery and Balrog appear, Misery sends Quote and Balrog to the labyrinth, then she teleports over to Curly's house and sends the Korons to the Doctor, but Curly resists and is damaged before being sent to the labyrinth.
Sounds about right.
Oh and I think it's noteworthy to mention we can only imagine how much time has passed when Quote goes unconscious. I never wondered how much time passes when he is knocked out. But we know this from when Quote ends up in the prison and when he sleeps before the rocket is ready...

Maybe... perhaps that was their mission briefing?
That's a very interesting thought ... hmmm
*wonders*

But I thought Curly and Quote were designed as a team... though it's possible that Quote was designed more for combat and Curly more for scouting or stealth.
Well, they became a team certainly. But, were they originally created as brother and sister robots, created together? Or did they find each at some point in time/created at different times, and at some point given newly upgraded bodies and technology?

I guess it comes down to how do they act towards each other, when Curly remembers each other.

I always thought Quote was the original, built to be a combat robot. Sent on missions etc. And it wasn't until later on that Curly Brace joined Quote.

Is there any proof one way or the other?

GRAH why isn't there an anime or manga or something Asdsadsadasd

Roonil Wazlib said:
You couldn't expect her to get past the Gaudis if she was injured, could you?
Well we don't know where she was teleported to... As we saw Booster appear in that place before Monster X.
We know Curly beat us to the sealed rock room. So... Maybe she ended up teleporting into this place Quote doesn't know about or where Booster ended up, and found another passage or was found by the green doctor or nurse

Jul 13, 2008 at 9:04 PM
Indie game enthusiast
JacobX891 said:
She saved Quote because Quote and Curly love each other, and love trumps amnesia.
YAY! LOVE FTW!!!
>.<
EDIT: How'd you beat me Roonil .... argggh
;) YOU TELL EM JACOB!

But I wonder what would have happened if Curly spotted her panties in Quote's possession

Jul 14, 2008 at 8:05 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
I read a really cool fanfiction about that. XD
Jacob probably already knows about it.