The Show

Dec 25, 2010 at 10:24 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
the worst mod :J

Dec 25, 2010 at 10:54 PM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Alright, can you please stop? Yes, I know this guy, too.

Dec 25, 2010 at 11:21 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Speedy said:
the best mod :J

Also hurry and finish it. Best christmas present aside from my money.

Ollie said:
Alright. I've gotten a lot done this month. In fact, I got so much done, I've finished the next demo for it. And, since it's Christmas, I've got something nice for you. A complete, but short, new mod which serves as a prequel to The Show, with the title Stairway.
It focuses on a certain dog who lives in a village. It also tells what happened to the guy in The Show, kinda. I even managed to put credits for it. :confused:
I also fixed up most things with The Show, there's only one little glitch that I know of, and that was my fault.

The Show, with Stairway.

Happy, merry Christmas, everyone.

Given dis a qoute since it was on the last post of the last page. So people can see it :J

Dec 26, 2010 at 12:01 AM
Hey.
If you don't know already, hurrying something that takes time is not going to be a good thing. :J But thanks for playing it, anyway.

Dec 28, 2010 at 3:39 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
(So, disregard my last post. :()

This is probably, one of the best mods on the hack showcase. Just, all the custom sprites, all the amazing music, the story (even though it doesn't really seem like there is one.) just make this mod real good. :rolleyes:

(I give it a 27 out of 27)

Dec 28, 2010 at 3:41 AM
Hey.
Thank you, now THIS was very helpful information. (No sarcasm on this one)

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:33 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Sweet, man. Enjoyed every minute of this game. I really hate boasting, but it was kinda easy for me. My brother was watching me play as well and he would like to send his acknowledgements for the cool mod.
Music: 10/10
Plot: 9/10
Characters: 10/10
Coolness: 10/10

Great stuff, man :D.

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:08 PM
Hey.
Heh, thanks a lot!

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:12 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The worst mod :J

I kid, I think it's off to a good start.
Perhaps you can have a seat at the high table of those who finish their mods =3

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:34 PM
Hey.
Yes, I'm definitely planning to finish it, but not for quite a while. Anyway, thanks for playing it. :J

Dec 29, 2010 at 3:13 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Okelie-dokles.

So far, Stairway was a fun little minimod that tied in with the start of The Show nicely. For the main game I had my own save from the previous demo to continue from, but I can't anyway at the moment because the water in 3-1 seems designed to push me down to the bottom door (with the pit below it) and when I try to go into it I get an error and the game crashes :rolleyes: For now, I'll go back and try the 'other' option, and see how far it leads me.

Dec 29, 2010 at 3:21 PM
Hey.
First of all, did you forget you can "swim" in the water? Second, I knew that room was broken for now, not that it was anything really special. As far as the other option goes, I think it has more variety than the other one, though I like them both equally. Anyway, you seem to be the only one to say anything about Stairway, so thanks on that. :J

Dec 30, 2010 at 3:40 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Ollie said:
First of all, did you forget you can "swim" in the water?
No I just wasn't sure the movement was possible. It turns out there was a third path anyway so it didn't even matter -_- Anyway, because I'm a dummypants, I haven't been writing notes as I go along like I usually do. I also don't really remember much from the first two areas, which is dumb because I've played through them twice _-_ So, based on what I can remember,

YOU ARE A DOG

-The dragons in 3-2 are actually well-placed for shooting off edges and through gaps, and the clouds take some practice to learn where to jump properly. The falling area was nicely done too.
-That platform jumping room is really... really... long. I managed to make it on my second try, but it could have gotten tedious very quickly otherwise.
-Second option! The opening gauntlet was... interesting, but the map for the third battle is kinda too large. World 6 was good though, probably the best one so far from a technical standpoint.
-The new tilesets/sprites/background add a nice touch, even if they're mostly simple edits. The sunset clouds one is really nice, and the spaceship one reminded me of The Dark Platform. Also, portholes! :o

Overall, the level design has steadily improved since you started, and I'm pretty sure the multiple paths idea has really never been used before (except for different endings), so I'm eager to see how that plays out. There are still more save points than there needs to be in places (there's never any reason to put them on both sides of a door), but the areas are starting to get more challenging. I'ma give you the benefit of the doubt for now and consider places like 3-1 exp farms, because the enemy throngs are nicely contained rather than looking like they're meant to be 'hard'. The regular updates are a great bonus, so keep up the good work! :D

Dec 30, 2010 at 4:12 PM
Hey.
DoubleThink said:
YOU ARE A DOG

Heh, funny story about that....

DoubleThink said:
-The dragons in 3-2 are actually well-placed for shooting off edges and through gaps, and the clouds take some practice to learn where to jump properly. The falling area was nicely done too.

:J

DoubleThink said:
-That platform jumping room is really... really... long. I managed to make it on my second try, but it could have gotten tedious very quickly otherwise.

Eh, that room was a bad choice of design. I only did that because I couldn't find any other way to utilize the beta tile set I had made. I guess I might as well take it out completely, or find something else to do there.

DoubleThink said:
-Second option! The opening gauntlet was... interesting, but the map for the third battle is kinda too large.

Hmm, I never noticed that, but I think it is now that I think about it.

DoubleThink said:
World 6 was good though, probably the best one so far from a technical standpoint.

Heh, funny that I actually did 6 first.

DoubleThink said:
-The new tilesets/sprites/background add a nice touch, even if they're mostly simple edits. The sunset clouds one is really nice, and the spaceship one reminded me of The Dark Platform. Also, portholes! :o

:J!

DoubleThink said:
Overall, the level design has steadily improved since you started, and I'm pretty sure the multiple paths idea has really never been used before (except for different endings), so I'm eager to see how that plays out. There are still more save points than there needs to be in places (there's never any reason to put them on both sides of a door), but the areas are starting to get more challenging. I'ma give you the benefit of the doubt for now and consider places like 3-1 exp farms, because the enemy throngs are nicely contained rather than looking like they're meant to be 'hard'. The regular updates are a great bonus, so keep up the good work! :D

Thanks! It's going a little slow now, but that's because I have to do some spriting for the next part. No, "some" is an understatement, actually. But anyway, thanks for playing!

Dec 30, 2010 at 4:24 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Ollie said:
Eh, that room was a bad choice of design. I only did that because I couldn't find any other way to utilize the beta tile set I had made. I guess I might as well take it out completely, or find something else to do there.
Putting a checkpoint half way across would probably suffice. I dunno, maybe wait and see what other people say, it might not be that bad after all. The more annoying part was the bats, because they take several hits to kill and have to be removed to move forward safely. Although MAYBE...

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

...you could make them invincible, make the room a lot shorter, and set it up so that the player has to time their jump to each block so that they avoid them.

Oh and I forgot to comment on the music; the new stuff is pretty good, but not especially memorable. Some of the changes are a bit jarring too, e.g. it'll switch tracks for one short screen and then go back to the previous one right away.

Dec 30, 2010 at 4:34 PM
Hey.
DoubleThink said:
Putting a checkpoint half way across would probably suffice. I dunno, maybe wait and see what other people say, it might not be that bad after all. The more annoying part was the bats, because they take several hits to kill and have to be removed to move forward safely. Although MAYBE...

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

...you could make them invincible, make the room a lot shorter, and set it up so that the player has to time their jump to each block so that they avoid them.

Oh and I forgot to comment on the music; the new stuff is pretty good, but not especially memorable. Some of the changes are a bit jarring too, e.g. it'll switch tracks for one short screen and then go back to the previous one right away.

Oh, some of the people I know have played it, and they hated that place, but that idea you have doesn't seem too bad, I'll see what I can do. Eh, I think the music for the next one will be better. I'm not sure what I could do about that music problem. I didn't even really notice it, anyway.

Jan 2, 2011 at 11:35 AM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Just have finished the Stairway and I`m impressed. The best things about the mod is it`s randomness. Unexpected things happen which make you enjoy every minute of playing. This reminded me of the randomness of the original Cave Story story (e.g. funny talk before the mushroom fight, cat popping out of Monster X,...). A+ . After the credits the mod crashed:
diph.php

Wanted to try out The Show, Demo 3. After the narrator speaks I turn invisible and can`t move. All I can do is shoot. Screenie:

diph.php

EDIT: That text about Profile.dat enabled me to play. A better fix would be nice. Anyways playing...

Jan 2, 2011 at 5:29 PM
Hey.
trickybilly said:
After the credits the mod crashed:
diph.php

Yes, I'm aware of this, though I'm not quite sure how the credits work in that way, so there's not much I can do about it.

trickybilly said:
Wanted to try out The Show, Demo 3. After the narrator speaks I turn invisible and can`t move. All I can do is shoot. Screenie:

diph.php

EDIT: That text about Profile.dat enabled me to play. A better fix would be nice. Anyways playing...

Sorry about that, I haven't figured out how to do that, so I can't really fix that, either.

Jan 3, 2011 at 5:03 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
theshowcrash.jpg

It happened at exactly midnight too. Eeeeeeeeeevil.

Jan 3, 2011 at 5:29 AM
Hey.
:p

....I plan on fixing that.