Take 8: CS+ Community Project Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Ideas and Development' started by DoubleThink, Oct 23, 2011.

Old topic!
The last post in this thread is over 60 days old. Posting in this thread will be considered a bump, so please make an attempt to be courteous if you go ahead with it.

If the last post is over 6 months old, it may instead be a better idea to start a new topic. If you aren't sure about what to do, feel free to ask a staff member for help, or try to locate a 'general questions'-type thread if it exists in this (sub-)forum.
  1. Oct 23, 2011
    DoubleThink
    Ja ja ja
    "Life begins and ends with Nu."
    Okay I've taken pretty much every courtesy I can think of before posting this idea publicly, so here it is. I propose a collaborative community effort, the main aim of which will be to produce a mod of substantial size for the first planned CS+ update in December. In this post, I will attempt to preemptively answer as many questions/concerns as possible, so that if there's enough interest we can get this show on the road ASAP.

MY RATIONALE
    We currently have very little to offer Nicalis in terms of what they want, but are also fully capable of producing such. However, I don't really like the idea of everyone trying to rush out a bunch of minimods in time for the first release, or even later updates. Rather, a community project has the potential to:
    -Give everyone a chance to contribute,
    -Produce a large amount of high-quality content without enormous efforts on behalf of a single person, and
    -Be wholly representative of the talent we have here, enabling us to present Pixel (and potentially a very large number of Steam users worldwide) with the best we have to offer given the outlined restrictions.
    This is a unique opportunity that very few communities or fanbases are actually given, so I think it logically follows that we should all do our best to chip in and make it stick.

WHY THIS ONE WILL WORK
    Simply put: We don't need new graphics, music, story, ASM or a group of people all trying to work on the entire thing at once. With the plan I've come up with, nobody will be limited by what somebody else is doing or have to wait for a certain part to be finished. All that will be required to participate is mapping and scripting experience, and knowledge of the game's mechanics. After someone's idea has been approved, they will (hopefully) only need to worry about working on their section, and anything that remains unfinished by the deadline will either be trimmed to fit or be excluded. There is no preset goal for completion aside from 'big enough'.

HOW IT WILL WORK
    -Each person will be assigned up to 4 maps to work with whatever ideas they see fit, with encouragement to come up with something that isn't being used by somebody else already. (I'll make up an example list when/if the production thread starts, so don't worry about this yet.) I say 4 because I expect something in the order of up to 20 participants, and there are only 94 maps available, some of which can't be used (intro and title screens, etc. - adding more makes porting difficult). If someone doesn't think they will need all 4 they will be able to specify this, freeing up space for others. And really, that should be more than enough to get the most out of a single set of ideas; you can fit an awful lot of work into 4 maps, you just have to think in terms of

2. Oct 23, 2011
    CommanderJersey
    Not COMMA
    "Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
    Should each member get their own tileset to help differentiate the sections?
    Also, I woud like to contribute to this.

3. Oct 23, 2011
    DoubleThink
    Ja ja ja
    I'm not sure there are enough and I don't think it's absolutely necessary. Ditto for backgrounds.

4. Oct 23, 2011
    WoodenRat
    Pirate Member
    "Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
    I didn't read all of your post, but I guess I could contribute a few maps with a few sidestories.

5. Oct 23, 2011
    Cave Story
    Member Title
    "All your forum are belong to us!"
    This is a very good idea. I would rather have the December update include one astounding mod instead of 4-5 mini-mods no one will enjoy playing.
    I'm in.
    Errdit: I'm fine designing only one map, I'm still pretty new to the whole process, and I don't want to take up too much of your guys' sunlight.

6. Oct 23, 2011
    Lace
    Lesbian Seagull
    I don't understand :S
    Will this have any contiguity at all?
    If not, how is it different from a bunch of mini-mods?

7. Oct 23, 2011
    DoubleThink
    Ja ja ja
    Please do read the "Issue of Story" bit

I think of each area as a different 'world', like in The Show/WTF Story/etc.

8. Oct 23, 2011
    CommanderJersey
    Not COMMA
    "Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
    About maps, we need to make sure that no one uses the same map twice because we aren't allowed make new maps. Also, keep in mind that none of the map sizes can be changed.

9. Oct 23, 2011
    DoubleThink
    Ja ja ja
    I was wondering about this, but I think the desired map files can just be renamed and copied over the appropriate map slot, if not then that's where the map allocation will come in

tyrone said that we can change the map data, and I don't know how we'd be expected to offer mods if we couldn't

EDIT: Also, I am going to bed now

10. Oct 24, 2011
    DoubleThink
    Ja ja ja
    Alright well if nobody can think of anything else I guess we're good to go, and I can start up the project submission thread tomorrow. I did not foresee the discussion being this brief :momo:

11. Oct 24, 2011
    cultr1
    ℒℯ
    I'd be up for this, if we can get enough people.

So, if I have this straight, the maps dont mews to have any connection to each other?
    So we can have a medley of styles throughout the mod?
    That sounds amazing and sign me up.

I've been jonesing to make a booster jump course/platforming sequence, but if you're not looking for something like that I can easily do something else :D

12. Oct 24, 2011
    Shimmyzmizz
    inside is yello
    "..."
    This looks interesting, I'd love to contribute.

13. Oct 24, 2011
    ShinyElectricBlueTiger
    Offensive User
    "Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
    How should we submit the map files? Assuming all of us use Cave Editor, can we export the map file and send it with the appropriate scripts?
    Edit: I'll contribute if there is some room. I might make some maps, but I can't use a lot of the TSC script commands (excluding the

14. Oct 25, 2011
    Tpcool
    Polar Member
    "I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
    ->Cave Story
    ->Data Folder
    ->Stage Folder
    Find the appropriate files. I believe that is how you are supposed to send it.

And I've decided I should do this. Count me in! :greydroll:

15. Oct 25, 2011
    Pigaro
    HELP
    "..."
    I guess if I've got some time.
    I'm in.

EDiT
    I may need an idea or two to begin with since I suck at getting some on my own and putting them into stuff like this.

16. Oct 25, 2011
    Wedge of Cheese
    If you snoose, you loose
    "Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
  17. Oct 25, 2011
    andwhyisit
    Administrator
    Just zip your mod files and submit that. We can work it out from there.

18. Oct 25, 2011
    Cave story site
    Banned
    "Fresh from the Bakery"
    Me to,
    Edit: please don't give me 4 maps to work with... 2 is plenty

19. Oct 25, 2011
    Shimmyzmizz
    inside is yello
    "..."
    That answer your question?

20. Oct 25, 2011