Switch to IPBoard?

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:47 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
We seem to be getting an increase in spam of late. An upgrade of the forums would be good but I hear that vBulletin 4.x is not all that great an upgrade. vBulletin has been going downhill ever since Internet Brands took it over from Jelsoft. My solution for this would be to switch to IPBoard 3.2 which would give the same features coupled with updates that won't be bug-ridden (though then again maybe I'm overreacting). The vB to IPB converter can copy almost everything except for themes, word filters, ip ban lists, and user permission sets, but those can easily be copied over by hand (well the themes may take a while longer but I can always add them in as I get them working).

http://www.invisionpower.com/products/board/
http://www.invisionpower.com/suite/convert.php (Click on "vBulletin 3.8")

Unfortunately this may create some downtime on the forums so if I do it then it would likely be after community-involvement on the community mod has finished.

Let me know what you guys think.

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:49 AM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I think it may be a good idea. Especially considering that we have been visited by 3 spambots throughout the course of 2011.

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:54 AM
Been here way too long...
So, everything would be the same, except there would be less spam. That's what I understood from this. Even the format looks identical. The downtime's not a big problem, I can survive a day or two without the forums...

Maybe.

Omega said:
I think it may be a good idea. Especially considering that we have been visited by 3 spambots throughout the course of 2011.
Yes... 3...

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:54 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Actually, we have had at least eight spambot in the past few days Omega.
All of those things that are lost in the conversion could be easily slavaged, so I don't see a big problem in that.
As for my opinion/first thoughts, I would have to look at some other forums that use IPBoard before I could make my final stance at this topic. I approve. Might change my opinion later.

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:55 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Omega said:

Hahaha, that *you* have seen
In the last two days I've removed at least a dozen. In the year total, maybe fifty to eighty. It's getting a bit out of hand.

Anyway, I checked out the IPBoard site myself and it seems like a decent setup. It's got a slightly marginally different layout, but all the same stuff's still there. I for one think it could be a good change.

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:56 AM
I need to use my ipod's safari more often.

Dec 4, 2011 at 1:04 AM
Oh... so the format doesn't look identical.

inb4 torches and ptichforks?

Dec 4, 2011 at 1:17 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I have torches, but I don't have pitchforks.

I'd be okay with IP board, because I have a lot of experience with it. However, it really does take some getting used to, so it might be a problem for new members and/or members who don't have experience with it.

So eh. Your decision.

Dec 4, 2011 at 4:39 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I honestly don't care how much the Layout changes. However it works out will probably be good, and if it keeps our forums nice and clean, I'm in. It looks as if the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

Dec 4, 2011 at 5:07 AM
"Huzzah!"
I'm okay with it. Unless I can't veiw the forums with my 3ds. (though I think it will)
The spamming gets worse everyday. In my opinion, I think Mixer(8421?) and Kwote were more annoying. I've seen spam from them a bit more than others (Say for example kwote's 3 hp run and mixer's how does the booster 2.0 work? threads)

Dec 4, 2011 at 6:03 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
linkruler said:
The spamming gets worse everyday. In my opinion, I think Mixer(8421?) and Kwote were more annoying. I've seen spam from them a bit more than others (Say for example kwote's 3 hp run and mixer's how does the booster 2.0 work? threads)
I was actually referring to spam from spambots rather than from ligitimate members.

Dec 4, 2011 at 6:21 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Today got pretty crazy spam-bot wise. As hilarious as some of them are, I do think a change would be good. Perhaps a bit to get used to, but beneficial nonetheless.

I am in agreement.

Dec 4, 2011 at 7:42 AM
linkruler said:
I'm okay with it. Unless I can't veiw the forums with my 3ds.

I think you should be able to. The only things you cant see are most sites that require adobe flash and pdf files.

Dec 4, 2011 at 10:06 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I guess the current vBulletin version is getting a bit old :/ Should be fine as long as nothing explods in the transfer, although I do like my ugg boots :droll:

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:52 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Oh, will we still have this ? I don't see an archive like it on many other forums (at least not that I can find) and it's maybe useful for a hypothetical forum statbot.

Dec 4, 2011 at 5:31 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
I have absolutely zero experience with IPBoard, but I still think this is a good idea.

Dec 5, 2011 at 2:39 AM
Member Title
I'm just like Cultr. I have zero experience with IP board, but I wouldn't mind a change. I assume we will receive less spam after the switch?

Dec 5, 2011 at 2:53 AM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
If it reduces spam, we should do it. It would be beneficial to the forums, and only a few things such as IP bans and forum styles would have to be carried over by hand, which means very little hassle, and less spam. It's a win-win situation!

Dec 5, 2011 at 3:09 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Can't you just install ReCaptcha on this version?

Dec 5, 2011 at 3:41 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Never really been a fan of IPB, and layout-wise, i've always been partial to vB - but it's not my site, and I recommend doing whatever makes life easier for you guys. It's not like it'd be costing me anything, so...