[Softmints] Corridor

May 31, 2007 at 9:49 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Before I give my opinion, just a few things to point out:

1) The destroyable blocks can be destroyed by jumping, holding down, and firing at the same time. It takes a few goes, but it works. This makes level 9 and part of level 5 very easy.

2) The skull blocks you use do not disappear if you stand on the very edge of them. Basically it makes 11 slightly easier. Very, very slightly.

Anyway, this mod rocks. I've played it obsessively with 3hp and the polar star, so far i've got to level 10, but not completed it. Right now, I'm practicing level 11. I can get a little bit into section three before dying. It's insane (But what's more insane is the amount of times i've had to play before getting that far). I'd do levels 1 to 10 over again rather than do 11.

Even so, it's addicting. I curse you, Softmints, for making me play too much Cave Story!!! (Is that possible?)

May 31, 2007 at 2:24 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
That method of destroying the blocks is unfortunate, but there is nothing I can do to stop it, other than suggest that you don't. The same goes for the skull blocks; there are simply restrictions on the game engine which I must abide by.

I am going to update later today with a few new rooms.

Jun 26, 2007 at 10:54 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I've finally finished Corridor 15; and updated! Check the first post for details.

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:48 PM
"Huzzah!"
Woo! Finally gave this a go... much to my blissful frustration. :rolleyes:

Yeah, "blissful frustration"... hard as hell but fun every minute. So yeah, I admit I hate room 1 with a vengeance, and can't get farther than 3 in a single go, but I messed around with a few of the rooms, just for the hell of it. Fun like crazy, I say! Oh and did I mention that 15 is awesome, for no real reason?

Anyway, just as a product of boredom (and mapping practice, at least), I actually decided to add a custom "level select" map which lets you start at any room you'd like. 'Course, a side effect is that you don't get the timer, which works all the better seeing that it's cheating anyway. :p

I'm willing to share it *if* Softmints says it's all right, though. It's his mod and this map's just a little personal hack I did for me, myself, and I. Nothing more, nothing less.

Jun 28, 2007 at 6:16 PM
"hard as hell"? I beg to differ
p12200-0-wink.gif

You'll have to play through all of 15 to see how nasty it really is. It's horrible surprise.

Sure, just send it to me and I'll upload it in my folder so that both are accessable from the same place. Oh, entering this corridor should activate flag 9898, the cheating flag.

Jun 28, 2007 at 6:44 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Uh, Softmints? I think by "hard as hell" it means it's really hard. I don't think it meant it was comparing your Mod to the Sacred Grounds (Hell). But yes it is hard. I have yet to get to the fourth corridor (I suck).

Jun 28, 2007 at 11:07 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
hm. It might just be me, but there's no way past room 12. ah well.

I decided to cheat, and teleport from 0 to 15, and yeah. that was quite creative, actually. I think I had an idea similar to that awhil back, but never actually mapped it. The room overall, is somewhat easy, however, and the boss can be taken out quite quickly with the nemisis. I also managed to beat it after the last platform dissapeared >:3

Jun 29, 2007 at 3:05 AM
"Huzzah!"
@Taimat: Good eye! I didn't notice 'til now, but Twelve warps you back to Ten on accident instead of Thirteen. I've fixed it in my edition and I'm sure Softmints will be right on top of that problem in a flash. :p

Oh, phooey. Now I act like I actually *know* the mod that's not rightfully mine. Cursed be me! *mumble grumble...*

@Softmints: Whoops, sorry 'bout that. That unintentionially hellish pun was a bit of an insult on my part. My bad. :D

And regarding my hack, I've got to make a couple of adjustments first but I'll send it your way soon enough. I've got a dropfiles account I can use, though, in case your bandwidth leaves something to be desired. I don't want to be *too* much of a leech.

One thing though... Flag 9898 you say? Flags above 8000 aren't supposed to work at all, unless you've got some sort of strange after-effect planned for this one. I'll set it, but I'd suggest lowering the flag number to 7898 or something similar so you don't wind up with strange data corruption on your hands.

I'll get it wrapped up soon enough-ish.

Jun 30, 2007 at 5:23 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Softmints: If you want to start with 1 HP instead of 3, break out your hex editor...

Go to address 14BCF (or 414BCF, this is "correct" but isn't shown that way in my hex editor, dunno what's up). You should see something like this:

66 C7 05 CC E6 49 00 03 00 66 C7 05 D0 E6 49 00 03 00

It might not be all on one line. That first half is setting your current health at start and the second is setting your max health.

Change both of the 03 00 to 01 00 and you start with 1 hp.

Keep it up! Great hack so far!

Jul 1, 2007 at 5:53 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
FireHaven said:
Softmints: If you want to start with 1 HP instead of 3, break out your hex editor...

Go to address 14BCF (or 414BCF, this is "correct" but isn't shown that way in my hex editor, dunno what's up). You should see something like this:

66 C7 05 CC E6 49 00 03 00 66 C7 05 D0 E6 49 00 03 00

It might not be all on one line. That first half is setting your current health at start and the second is setting your max health.

Change both of the 03 00 to 01 00 and you start with 1 hp.

Keep it up! Great hack so far!
does it matter 1 or 3 its still 1 hit death.. :p

Jul 18, 2007 at 12:28 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It won't work for me and I'm following all instructions... It says in the error.txt that npcorig or something is the problem but I do not know.

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:40 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
are you still working on this softmints?

Aug 3, 2007 at 5:04 AM
"Huzzah!"
Hmm... he hasn't signed on in over a month or so, so who can say?

Odd how I feel like doing a Corridor-inspired mod of my own after all this. :p

Aug 3, 2007 at 5:12 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
Xaser said:
Hmm... he hasn't signed on in over a month or so, so who can say?

Odd how I feel like doing a Corridor-inspired mod of my own after all this. :p

thats what heavens tower was inspired by lol

Aug 20, 2007 at 3:26 PM
Ok, updated to 1.17. Sorry for being absent, I've been on holidays for a long time.

Aug 21, 2007 at 12:00 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
Softmints said:
Ok, updated to 1.17. Sorry for being absent, I've been on holidays for a long time.

Lol sounded like you got lazy

kiddin :D

Mar 26, 2009 at 11:23 PM
Necrobump. Necrouser. Necromod.

I was just passing through, when I found an ancient PM from Xaser (2007). He made a mod of Corridor which lets players jump to any corridor they please. I decided I'd add this to the main post and let people know, and also thank Xaser for his efforts.

It's neat. I still think Corridor 8 is the hardest (you have to rush it, and it's not predictable); I'm surprised I was still able to play this at all. Oh well. Back to hiding... . . .

Mar 26, 2009 at 11:36 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
This would be a very justified necro if you included a download link.

Mar 26, 2009 at 11:40 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Brickman said:
This would be a very justified necro if you included a download link.
It's on the first post.

Apr 7, 2009 at 4:38 PM
Banned
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I finally got to room 12 using massive amounts of hp. I've looked through the whole room and there isn't a way to get to room 13. There is an event in the script for it, but nothing triggers it. As a side note, if you have over 230 or something hp, getting a heart drops you down to that amount.