RPGmaker General Discussion

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:27 PM
The Eternal Darkness
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I know I have that RTPe thing installed from when I wanted to play Romancing Walkers... I also run Setup.exe and nothin' happened. And how big is the houses? Is it 10x10 tiles or larger?

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:50 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
20 x 15
I can't make it smaller >:-(
Only bigger

Feb 29, 2012 at 8:13 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Thanks! I did have it set that you pressed the spacebar to talk, but I changed it to make it easier for my official tester/little sister. Did you go to the school and cry your eyes out at the incredibly depressing story of Ailsa? :p
lol yeah that *was* pretty depressing! I think I did a doubletake look at first...
Poor Alisa... and Erin? was it?

As for the map size, if you want to make it smaller; you have to use that black background you see on other rpgmaker games, so you an kinda shape the house however you want. But, making it a big square house isn't bad...

@Shane, If other RPGmaker games work for you... I have no clue~
If you want I could video the game :o

Feb 29, 2012 at 8:16 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Oh! Could you pretty please video it :p
I'm guessing its a 'really bad but amusing' game.

Feb 29, 2012 at 8:36 PM
The Eternal Darkness
@Shane, If other RPGmaker games work for you... I have no clue~
If you want I could video the game :o
Either that game hates me, or this computer hates that game. Each time I try to open it, it says this:
RPG Maker 2003

The RPG Maker 2003 Runtime Package is not present or not registered.
And I did install it when I downloaded Eternal Destiny, I'm sure of it! (I think Eternal Destiny is on an rpg____.net site, I dunno)

Feb 29, 2012 at 8:40 PM
Are you sure you dont have RPGmaker 2000 or something

Feb 29, 2012 at 8:49 PM
The Eternal Darkness
As sure as the living dead attack people in the Sand Zone. I did install the Runtime Package, though. This. PC. Must. Be. HATING. That. Game.
Or. It. Is. Hating. ME.

I just wonder what in blazes is going on.

EDIT:
And "Setup.exe" runs some Japanese stuff. Weird.

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:20 PM
Well, mabey your computer has something against cactai

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:01 PM
Indie game enthusiast
@Shane
Maybe Kanpachi is using the Japanese version of RPGmaker (Or the Japanese RTP?). I run my PC in Japanese locale and have both RTPs so...

One way you could try to fix it to run it...
Copy a RPGmaker 2003 RPG_RT.exe, from an english version into the game directory. Or if you're feeling lucky, try copying a RPGmaker 2000 RPG_RT.exe into the game directory... [don't expect everything to work properly if it does lol]

@Kanpachi
I made a simple playthrough video, uploading now~
It will probably show up within the hour~

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Feb 29, 2012 at 10:59 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Picketon on Youtube : :sue:

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:05 PM
Woohoo :D
Thanks!!!! I wish I was on youtube

Mar 1, 2012 at 1:19 PM
The Eternal Darkness
Well, mabey your computer has something against cactai
1. You misspelt maybe and cacti. Just saying.
2. Maybe you are correct. Maybe they're too prickly for my computer to handle :)

@Shane Maybe Kanpachi is using the Japanese version of RPGmaker (Or the Japanese RTP?). I run my PC in Japanese locale and have both RTPs so... One way you could try to fix it to run it... Copy a RPGmaker 2003 RPG_RT.exe, from an english version into the game directory. Or if you're feeling lucky, try copying a RPGmaker 2000 RPG_RT.exe into the game directory... [don't expect everything to work properly if it does lol]
This computer hates me and RPGMaker. It went M-I-A. Or maybe it's like Kanpachi said, my computer has something against cacti.

EDIT:
I didn't see there was a sixth page...
The game looks awesome.

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:39 PM
"Huzzah!"
On the topic of RPGMaker created games, here's one: Corpse Party.

I've been playing the PSP version, which is download-only. The original freeware version (in Japanese) is from 1998, I think.

But on a forum I found a link to the more recent version, a demo of which is freely available, together with a translation patch.

Game demo: http://www.gris2.com/~corpse_pc/dl_top.html
Patch: http://tlwiki.tsukuru.info/index.php?title=Corpse_Party

Be warned: this is an UNPLEASANT game. Without any major spoilers, let's just say a certain character dies in the first chapter hanging herself without explaination. And you can't save her. Oh, the game cruelly PRETENDS she can be saved, by providing a convenient looking maggot-filled bucket for player to frantically run for to prop her up as she chokes to death.

Oh, then the evil ghosts make your character kill herself with a pair of scissors. Unless you read a certain newspaper earlier in Chapter One.

It's like 'Curly Brace dies. Not only that, you have to watch her drown. And the means to save her deliberately fails. Because the authors want to CRUSH YOUR DREAMS.'

Just hope the link works...

Mar 1, 2012 at 4:44 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I guess that's why the name of the RPG is Corpse Party. Because there's death, right? The character hangs herself for no good reason. The main character kills herself with scissors thanks to ghosts. I count two corpses.
HOLY SHIT you're RIGHT you have just blown my mind twelve difFerent ways with your peircing insight and acUte observational skills. truths like this are the things that turn Children into men.
man, I'm glad you're here to deliver these earth-shaKing pearls of wisdom. I will never be the same man again after learning that there are CORPSES in a game called corpse party.!1111!!`~​
Your informative and helpful posts are what all true fOrumers strive for. Hold the torch of knowledge high in this cold inhospitable intellectUal wasteland, valiant warrior.​

Mar 1, 2012 at 6:01 PM
The Eternal Darkness
Whoops. Guess I clicked on Post by accident. I wanted to click on Cancel. I deleted that post now. Your reply was in sarcasm, I assume?

And piercing was spelled wrong. Just saying, since misspelling tends to drive me to do weird things like adding pastry to a mod.

And warriors use heavy weapons, whereas fighters use light weaponry - I am a fighter. If this gets me in trouble, then speaking the truth is useless.

Mar 1, 2012 at 7:03 PM
Indie game enthusiast
@Shane / Kanpachi
Yes, Kanpachi has a ton of room for improvement... But the basics are there, and creativity should be rewarded!
(The writing was not bad! The first house's outside graphics were lovely.)
But, most importantly Kanpachi is bringing her own unique imagination to life :D

So, while I am not comparing Pickles of Pickleton to the games I am recommending, I can appreciate the process of creating and learning towards that day that others might be very interested in the worlds you create~

Never give up the creative spirit :D

@Ambient_Malice - Thanks for the link! This demo will torment me since the PC project appears to be inactive... But, I've been wanting to play Corpse Party for a while and have no PSP... Still I want to get a taste of what I'm missing out on ;D

Games rarely creep me out, we shall see how this one fares!

@Noxdidwut - wut >< lol

AND FINALLY, I finished Romancing Walker last night. My earlier score was on target. It's an 8.0 game, dragged down to a 7.5 by the translation, (or 7.0 if it bothers the reader). It isn't amazing, but it isn't bad by any means. It's a medium sized game, with spirited characters, humor and an interesting story. Not bad FLARE! Not bad!

I wish I could play the prequel; apparently FLARE created a prequel with some of the characters you meet using the Playstation RPGmaker...
Ah well...

1-3.gif

Pros :
Portrait and CG graphics
Battle gameplay
Fleshed out world and map design
The feeling of having many options
Story and characters
Difficulty of later bosses

2-2.gif

Cons :
The writing
-Imagine a very serious matter for the characters is unfolding, and when something is revealed one of the girls says...
"OMG!" Whaite?ETEasd?S I can't help but laugh at the writing half the time... >< Still, the point gets across...
Ease of most battles
Overly easy, with hints EVERYWHERE (I couldn't help but check them...)
The later half of the game feels small, and limits the potential...
Relationships are a bit too convenient at times

3-2.gif

<3 @ Laytss and Fina (Though at times they are frightening...)

Mar 1, 2012 at 8:38 PM
The Eternal Darkness
X-Calibar:
That's great. Completing that is something that would, at the moment, take a long time for me to do, as I'm busy on my Cave Story mod. I like that other character next door. I think her name's Caris. Second favourite character (the main character is my first favourite).
Ambient_Malice:
I'll try to download that tomorrow, but if I forget, then blame it on the dancing squirrels that explode with the force of fifty nuclear bombs :eek: and also create a black hole that devours everything around it, ending the entire solar system they live on without them even being affected :eek: :eek:
(if I could do assembly, I'd add that in my CS mod... :) )

Mar 2, 2012 at 6:56 PM
Indie game enthusiast
The Longing Ribbon
8/10
Length : Days?
A horror game about a family that enters a creepy mansion. This is no ordinary horror flick though...

Engine : RPGmaker 2000
Download : http://rpgmaker.net/games/390/

Since we're on the subject of horror games (Corpse Party), let me introduce "The Longing Ribbon". It was my first horror RPGmaker game, and it's a fun one. It can be a bit difficult at times, but it's worth it methinks.

@Shane - Don't worry~ It usually takes me a long time before I get around to trying recommendations :o
But, I'm glad I did! So, just think of these games as future reference~ Trying to find all the worthwhile games...

Mar 2, 2012 at 7:26 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!:(
I've lost Pickelton... I went on to RPG maker and it's not there anymore. >_<