May 4, 2009 at 5:16 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Got some modding difficulties, and you're not sure what to do about them? Search function isn't helping?
Ask here!
Quick answers for quick questions, as provided by our unfriendly and unhelpful modding crew. New threads should still be made for more complex problems, or things like hacking discoveries etc. Running a search first is still recommended (to avoid getting yelled at >_>), but sometimes a nudge in the right direction is all that's needed.

FOR EXAMPLE: Can anyone tell me what entity flag 0x0040 "special solid" does again? I can't remember where it's used... or flag 0x0002 "no effect about tile 44" for that matter.

EDIT: Fixed retardation caused by server move

May 4, 2009 at 5:16 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
no effect about tile 44 means it can pass through the special 0x44 tile (for example the vines in Grasstown are tile 0x44).

I'm not sure about special solid though...

May 4, 2009 at 11:00 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
Special solids are ones that you can't shoot through, make the invulrable ting sound when shot, and, if animated, can cause damage.
Or that's what I've gathered.

May 4, 2009 at 11:05 PM
JacobX891 said:
How do I call an event upon fatal damage?

As far as I've been able to determine, you can't.
Well, you can if it involves a <TRA or something.
I did a little reasearch into this 'cause I wanted to use the Lucky Charm in my mod to give the player a second shot if they died.
Unfortunately, all I managed to achieve was the player being suspended in mid air, unable to move but still able to shoot.
If I could be of more help, I'd be glad to.

May 4, 2009 at 11:13 PM
JacobX891 said:
Well I know Zarro used this, maybe twice.
I just want to know how to do this.

My guess is either an assembly hack to switch the order in which events happen.
Ie.
Fatal damage detected > Character Dies > Death message
Becomes...
Fatal damage detected > Death message (potentially a flag/item jump) > Character dies

Or...

Take a look at Head.tsc from the mod, it'd be in there if it isn't an assembly hack.

May 4, 2009 at 11:19 PM
Lace said:
nawp, it's just tsc.
when you die, the death event run automatically, and you can make it run events instead of/before you dying. check the core fight.

The post-core fight drowning isn't a fatal damage check.

The issue I had with a fatal damage script was that it freezes character input (except for shooting).
Though what I wanted to do was to reset your characters' health so you can keep going, then make you lose the luck charm.

May 4, 2009 at 11:31 PM
Been here way too long...
change around the events in the first room, so it sets flag 4000 at the beginning, and then drown. now do the same thing and change the bit at the end to saying
Code:
XX: head.tsc   4000 - 4099
4000:Start…“ï

May 4, 2009 at 11:33 PM
JacobX891 said:
But what does it mean? I might as well not use it if I'm oblivious to its meaning.

Probably similar in meaning to "Special Jump".

May 4, 2009 at 11:37 PM
JacobX891 said:
Oh wait, I get it!
To change the map in which this would occur, you would simply change it to whatever Map ID the map has that this would occur in. Awesome.

Doesn't really help me...
Well, kinda.
>_>
If I say it helps, it'll reveal massive spoilers.

May 7, 2009 at 3:17 AM
Assistance
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Yeah, well, heres a n00b question I wish to ask everyone, and im pretty damn sure I was searching for this 10000x times, I found a few forum posts about it, but didn't get into much detail about getting Sue's workshop and the game itself to work, and yet, im probably going to be hitting the roof if there is no good solution.

Ok, its about ORGs. Yes, I know, "Search Button", I used Google instead, I got extremely good information about it, using the Res Hacker and such, replacing ORGs, but when I do that, it freezes the damn game on the loading screen.
Is it for the fact because I edited on Sue's Workshop? Because if it is, then my guess is right, however, is there any way in hell I can get this to work without those errors?

Strange shit has been happening when I replace the ORGs as well, such as having all the MAPS missing, I even used the Bug-tastic Cave editor, the maps worked, but I cant really stand cave editor, and the absence of the Backgrounds piss me off, and alot of scripts are screwed up.

Ive seen this post of someone whom knew how to switch the old Cave story ORGS with custom ones and it would work perfectly on sue's, but is there any flat out simple awnser to that? Hex editor maybe? Sorry for the bump, but im quite new to hacking.

May 7, 2009 at 3:28 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Ralren said:
Strange shit has been happening when I replace the ORGs as well, such as having all the MAPS missing, I even used the Bug-tastic Cave editor, the maps worked, but I cant really stand cave editor, and the absence of the Backgrounds piss me off, and alot of scripts are screwed up.
Bug-tastic? I, for one, ser, am deeply offended by such stereotyping!
But I guess it's your loss if you're gonna skip on CE =P
{And the Background thing's an easy fix, just keep an EXE that's exactly the same as the one you use CE on, only use SW with it, and you can swap it out on Demo releases or w/e for Backgrounds. Other then that, Cave Editor lacks for nothing.}

Anyways, SW has at
lot of trouble with replaced ORGs, so you just might be stuck with Cave Editor >=D
Did ya make sure the ORGs didn't make the EXE bigger then it's normal size?
And did you restart with a clean/backup EXE after trying SW on it, before swapping to Cave Editor?
Other then that, not sure what's the problem. I haven't even tried swapping ORGs yet, as I'm still looking for the Cave Story Betas....

And bump? This thread was made for all and any 'newb' questions, as to clear the clutter of the constant 'newb' threads....
And I don't think 2 days is really much of a bump...
=D

May 7, 2009 at 3:45 AM
Assistance
Apologies, for stereo-typing the editor, im just not really fond into editing with it, but I understand where your getting at. lol.

Well, I do love Sues workshop, so im going more into that. By the way, you wish to have the soundtrack collection for the Regular and the Beta ORG tracks for cavestory? Will do, I have the zip from S.P Garde when I was searching for the solution about this problem.

Click here.

Ill look more into this. Ill report what happens if something goes wrong.
Thanks again!

EDIT:
JacobX891 said:
Cave Editor sucks horribly. I can't edit entities with it. Fuck that shit.
Yeah, you know what, your fucking right. Im sorry, but I just dont like Cave editor ethier, but there has to be a way, I swear to god there was a post about someone's mod working perfectly with Sues Workshop after switching the ORGS, but he never told anyone that how he did it.

May 7, 2009 at 3:51 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Huh?

JacobX891 said:
Cave Editor sucks horribly. I can't edit entities with it. Fuck that shit.
What do you mean you can't edit entities? I've just about finished my demo and I've never had that problem.
Ralren said:
Apologies, for stereo-typing the editor, im just not really fond into editing with it, but I understand where your getting at. lol.

Well, I do love Sues workshop, so im going more into that. By the way, you wish to have the soundtrack collection for the Regular and the Beta ORG tracks for cavestory? Will do, I have the zip from S.P Garde when I was searching for the solution about this problem.

Click here.

Ill look more into this. Ill report what happens if something goes wrong.
Thanks again!
And you, ser, are the single best person in here for finding me these .ORGs =D
I shall endeavor to help with any of your future problems!

May 7, 2009 at 3:58 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Eh.

JacobX891 said:
I can't edit entities. It isn't instantaneously obvious how to, and frankly, I don't care quite enough to learn. Kind of like using a Mac after being accustomed to a PC. Mac is all flash and no flesh, and it isn't worth my time to work around that.
What do you mean by 'edit', anyways? Flags, ID number, Event number, Type? Those appear at the top when you select them...

And Mac's aren't THAT bad...
..I still have a bad taste in my mouth from Vista =P

May 7, 2009 at 4:00 AM
Assistance
hah, thank you muchly, I do not have anything much to ask, but this damn ORG problem, but thank you for your help.

May 7, 2009 at 4:06 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Well..

Ralren said:
hah, thank you muchly, I do not have anything much to ask, but this damn ORG problem, but thank you for your help.
Well, tomorrow {Because I've got to go now >.>;}, I'ma try the ORGs with CE and see what happens....

May 8, 2009 at 2:52 AM
Assistance
So, how did it go Void?

May 8, 2009 at 3:00 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Whoops

Ralren said:
So, how did it go Void?
Haven't tried yet...
What was suppose to only take 30 minutes {Making another room and changing an old one completely with flags, and get it set up for even more changes later.....that and figuring out how teleportation animations worked was hell >.>;} turned into several hours after I realized the mess I left had for myself...
..But I think I've finally got it, and once I do, I can add a few songs....

Anyways, note to self: Keep track of all flags....
>.>;

EDIT:
Woo, test was a complete success after posting this =D
I even figured out ticks finally, at least for Quote: 16 ticks will make him walk a full block =D
Anyways, I just need to edit some graphics {Because Curly never had a teleportation graphic, >.>;}, and I'll go try out the swapper....

EDIT EDIT:
Ok, here it goes...
*Backs everything up, twice*

May 8, 2009 at 3:03 AM
Assistance
Haha, well at least you got it over with.
Flags can be a pain.

Tell me what happens, and ill see what I can come up with.

May 8, 2009 at 3:38 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Literally easy as cake.

Sheesh, I don't see how people have so much trouble with replacing ORGs, now...
All I did was tell ResHack to replace the final version of the Cave Story Theme with the Beta one, and it runs perfectly and plays the new {Old} song, fine.

I also noticed, with ResHack, I can finally change that "2004. 12 STUDIO PIXEL" thing, among various other objects >=D