.org converter

Oct 13, 2009 at 12:14 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hey,I can't find anything to convert .org files. IS there anything to do that?

Oct 13, 2009 at 12:16 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
We wish

To something like .MP3? Nope.
I remember reading about various programs being written to do that, but I never saw any of them get finished...
{If it's the original songs you want to convert, andwhyisit posted a thread with all of them + beta songs and even remixes and such to download in MP3 format. Just use the Search Button or click on the link in his signature}
Though, I believe there's a plugin for Winamp that allows ORGs to play....

Oct 13, 2009 at 12:18 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Pikzilla said:
Hey,I can't find anything to convert .org files. IS there anything to do that?

If you wanna convert an org to a mp3, you'll need to manually record it using Sound Recorder (windows default recording software) or my personal favourite, Audacity.

Orgs cannot be converted to any other forms, like midis or the such. Just use one of the two programs i listed to record them as mp3's.

Oct 13, 2009 at 12:21 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Convert Record

Well, really that's not converting, it's just recording the sounds :)
But if you're going to go through all the trouble for just the original songs, I wouldn't bother.
I mean, andwhyisit already did the work for you.

Oct 13, 2009 at 12:27 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It's not the ipod I'm looking for; I',m trying to use original .orgs in a game that I'm developing. I already have audacity, but will recording it cause imperfections in the quality?

Oct 13, 2009 at 12:33 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
What are you guys talking about? There's a way to convert orgs to mp3, just not directly. You can get the Org2XM thingamajig from the tribute site,

http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/downloads_6.php

and convert the org files to .xm modules (whatever that means...)
The next step from there is to get some kind of program to convert .xm to .mp3
I found this one called the WAV mp3 converter

http://www.wav-mp3.com/convert-xm-to-mp3.htm

This has a free trial version that converts up to 60% of your song unless you pay money... but that's not a problem! before you convert to .xm from your org, make a copy of and take the number of measures and multiply it by 5/3. Now, the last 40% is blank space and the 60% is all your song!

I've done this to make mp3 of some of the songs I've written. The sound quality does suffer a tad from all the conversions (volume in particular gets rather low) but it does work.

NOTE: the org2xm converter is a dos(?) program and it's confusing to say the least. I'd recommend reading the instructions a few times before trying to use it.

Oct 13, 2009 at 12:34 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Pikzilla said:
It's not the ipod I'm looking for; I',m trying to use original .orgs in a game that I'm developing. I already have audacity, but will recording it cause imperfections in the quality?

I'm almost 100% sure that there will be no imperfections in the quality (I've used it myself to record some of my custom orgs, they're turned out fine (WTF-Story main theme) and (Original org) made by me).

You might have to adjust your volume though, since it has affected the quality before for me (as in, if it was too loud it wouldn't record right because of overloading or something, loudness would ruin the quality).

Oct 13, 2009 at 12:41 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thanks, that works!

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:43 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
VoidMage_Lowell said:
Well, really that's not converting, it's just recording the sounds :rolleyes:
But it just happens to be the most efficient method to obtain mp3s from files in any and every music format ever created. If you can play it then you can get an mp3 of it.

May 27, 2011 at 1:19 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Noxid said:
What are you guys talking about? There's a way to convert orgs to mp3, just not directly. You can get the Org2XM thingamajig from the tribute site,

http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/downloads_6.php

and convert the org files to .xm modules (whatever that means...)
The next step from there is to get some kind of program to convert .xm to .mp3
I found this one called the WAV mp3 converter

http://www.wav-mp3.com/convert-xm-to-mp3.htm

This has a free trial version that converts up to 60% of your song unless you pay money... but that's not a problem! before you convert to .xm from your org, make a copy of and take the number of measures and multiply it by 5/3. Now, the last 40% is blank space and the 60% is all your song!

I've done this to make mp3 of some of the songs I've written. The sound quality does suffer a tad from all the conversions (volume in particular gets rather low) but it does work.

NOTE: the org2xm converter is a dos(?) program and it's confusing to say the least. I'd recommend reading the instructions a few times before trying to use it.

THANK YOU. I just have one question though: how do I add measures past the loop? Or change the loop up past 99 measures? I have Madtracker and Orgmaker 2.

EDIT: Never mind I figured it out. Thanks so much for this, now I can actually show people my music without making them download orgmaker :rolleyes:

May 27, 2011 at 1:54 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
To change the loop past 99 might not be possible for you due to a slight shortcoming in OrgV2's design which means on some PCs it only lets you input two digits. It can be hacked, but that's probably a little beyond the skill level of the typical user. To change the loop spec, simply go to Settings > Song Preferences and edit the fields for Repeat Range. One does not "Add measures", organya is event-based so there's only as much song data as there are notes.

I have never used madtracker so I can't help you with it..

May 27, 2011 at 4:15 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
It's fine, I figured it out. Pretty easy to do with madtracker actually, you just have to find and delete the loop number and then copy+paste a bunch of empty measures.

Feb 26, 2012 at 11:45 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I need help to convert mp3 to org... if thats possible.

Feb 27, 2012 at 2:25 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
And the winner of "Most reposted topic" is....
you!

merged

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:45 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I need help to convert mp3 to org... if thats possible.
It is not.

You cannot automatically convert mp3s to orgs. Essentially org files contain instructions on how to produce a song using a set of instruments, while mp3's contain audio data and nothing else. It's like trying to automatically convert an mp3 into sheet music, it doesn't work.The only way to convert it is to reproduce it by ear, which isn't all that viable for those who lack experience with the org format.

Feb 27, 2012 at 2:43 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Well, in theory one could write a program to fourier the audio file and extract the notes and convert them to org format but that'd be a massive pain in the ass.

If you could explain why it is that you need to convert mp3 to org, maybe we could come up with a different solution to your problem.

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:12 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Well, in theory one could write a program to fourier the audio file and extract the notes and convert them to org format but that'd be a massive pain in the ass.
This is mp3. There is no note information to extract. It's all pre-rendered audio data.

Unless you mean to compare the sounds in the mp3s to org instruments and create notes that way.. However I should note (pun not intended) that programs exist that are said to do this for midi files, and the end result is pretty bad last I checked.

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:18 PM
graters gonna grate
Yeah, that's basically what I meant.

Feb 28, 2012 at 6:27 PM
The Eternal Darkness
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
What are you guys talking about? There's a way to convert orgs to mp3, just not directly. You can get the Org2XM thingamajig from the tribute site, http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/downloads_6.php and convert the org files to .xm modules (whatever that means...) The next step from there is to get some kind of program to convert .xm to .mp3 I found this one called the WAV mp3 converter http://www.wav-mp3.com/convert-xm-to-mp3.htm This has a free trial version that converts up to 60% of your song unless you pay money... but that's not a problem! before you convert to .xm from your org, make a copy of and take the number of measures and multiply it by 5/3. Now, the last 40% is blank space and the 60% is all your song! I've done this to make mp3 of some of the songs I've written. The sound quality does suffer a tad from all the conversions (volume in particular gets rather low) but it does work. NOTE: the org2xm converter is a dos(?) program and it's confusing to say the least. I'd recommend reading the instructions a few times before trying to use it.
It only works for the original ORG files...

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:20 PM
graters gonna grate
What do you mean by "the original org files"? It should work for any and all org files.