New Orchestral Tribute Compilation - A Sleeping Destiny

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:35 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
diph.php

A Sleeping Destiny - An Orchestral Tribute to Cave Story

Hello fellow Pixel/Cave Story fans.

I have just finished a project that I have been hard at work on over the past few months. I took various midi files I found through the links at the main Mirai Gamer tribute site, as well as the extensive list at vgmusic.com and compiled this compilation. I tried to arrange as many of the more melodic pieces in the Cave Story soundtrack as I could for high quality orchestral instrumentation. The bass is still a synth bass, and the percussion is mostly traditional drum kit sounds, but everything else is orchestrated.

It comes in at just under an hour. I think that any fans of Cave Story or orchestrated game soundtracks in general will appreciate this project.

This is the fifth volume in my ongoing series of orchestrated retro game scores (the previous ones being tributes to Sonic the Hedgehog, Final Fantasy VII, Castlevania, and Doom).

Any feedback is welcome, I'd love to hear what real fans of Cave Story think of these mixes?

Thanks!

Oh and if anyone is interested in hearing my projects original music, check out: http://www.vernianprocess.com

diph.php

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:44 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Vernian Process said:
diph.php

A Sleeping Destiny - An Orchestral Tribute to Cave Story

Hello fellow Pixel/Cave Story fans.

I have just finished a project that I have been hard at work on over the past few months. I took various midi files I found through the links at the main Mirai Gamer tribute site, as well as the extensive list at vgmusic.com and compiled this compilation. I tried to arrange as many of the more melodic pieces in the Cave Story soundtrack as I could for high quality orchestral instrumentation. The bass is still a synth bass, and the percussion is mostly traditional drum kit sounds, but everything else is orchestrated.

It comes in at just under an hour. I think that any fans of Cave Story or orchestrated game soundtracks in general will appreciate this project.

This is the fifth volume in my ongoing series of orchestrated retro game scores (the previous ones being tributes to Sonic the Hedgehog, Final Fantasy VII, Castlevania, and Doom).

Any feedback is welcome, I'd love to hear what real fans of Cave Story think of these mixes?

Thanks!

Oh and if anyone is interested in hearing my projects original music, check out: http://www.vernianprocess.com

diph.php

Downloadin it now!
I'll definitely let you know what I think when I get a chance to hear it

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:10 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Mr. Process, you are my new hero. I've always wanted to hear more of this, and you have delivered overwhelmingly. I have to ask, though... why does everyone hate on White? It's one of my favorite songs.
(Not actually a complaint—just don't know why no one ever remixes it)

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:15 AM
Captain Fabulous said:
Mr. Process, you are my new hero. I've always wanted to hear more of this, and you have delivered overwhelmingly. I have to ask, though... why does everyone hate on White? It's one of my favorite songs.

Probably because so many people haven't beaten sacred grounds in under four minutes that can actually write decent remixes :U

I was listening to the Welcome Home remix of Mimiga town when I got off the bus at my college. It made me sad to think that College is my home

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:27 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I've only listened to 2 of the tracks so far, and as I'm typing I'm going for moonsong. Already, this is quite the awesome remix.

Excellent job. Also, I do love the look of the Vernian Process website :).

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:35 AM
I believe my favorite so far, after listening to all of them, is Gestation. It's very well done, once it gets all of the elements going, though it starts off a little slow. Might want to make some variation in the drums in the beginning, if at all possible.

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:42 AM
Been here way too long...
I've been doing other things as I listen to the album, so I haven't had the chance to really focus on it, but I'm still loving it. I liked Gestation, Gravity and Hero's End, but I'm only on Cave Story so far.
(You better not mess up Toroko's Song!)

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:46 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Captain Fabulous said:

Oh nice, that's a really good remix. I'm not quite up to those skills yet, but someday I hope to be.

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:53 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thanks guys! Glad you like the mixes so far. I was especially pleased with the way "Gestation", "Mimiga Town", "Mischiveous Robot", "On to Grasstown", "Scorching Back", "Moonsong", and "Break Down" came out.

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:01 AM
Vernian Process said:
Thanks guys! Glad you like the mixes so far. I was especially pleased with the way "Gestation", "Mimiga Town", "Mischiveous Robot", "On to Grasstown", "Scorching Back", "Moonsong", and "Break Down" came out.

What are you using to compose these? Just curious, there may be better programs that you could use. No need to have wasted talent 8D

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:04 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Volley said:
What are you using to compose these? Just curious.
They were almost entirely done using Edirol Orchestra VSTs. The bass comes from the Korg Legacy, and some of the instruments such as choir, organs, etc were done using Miroslav Symphonic Reason refills. Oh and the drums are all done with Addictive Drums (the most realistic drum samples I know of).

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:15 AM
Vernian Process said:
They were almost entirely done using Edirol Orchestra VSTs. The bass comes from the Korg Legacy, and some of the instruments such as choir, organs, etc were done using Miroslav Symphonic Reason refills. Oh and the drums are all done with Addictive Drums (the most realistic drum samples I know of).

Hmmm... Im sure you've heard of Fruity Loops? Most any instruments are able to be imported, though... I myself get a little lost in the interface, there are some very rich instrument sets that are specific to FL Studio that you could definitely express your talent with. Juuust some food for thought.

For not using FL, I do have to hand it to you, these all sound fantastic!

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:56 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Wow this is good. Too bad some of the cavestory wii tracks couldn't sound like this:eek:

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:39 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Volley said:
Hmmm... Im sure you've heard of Fruity Loops? Most any instruments are able to be imported, though... I myself get a little lost in the interface, there are some very rich instrument sets that are specific to FL Studio that you could definitely express your talent with. Juuust some food for thought.

For not using FL, I do have to hand it to you, these all sound fantastic!

Thank you. Yeah I've used fruity loops before, but I was never really happy with the interface. Maybe I'll give it another go now that I have a much better computer to work with.

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:40 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
cultr1 said:
Wow this is good. Too bad some of the cavestory wii tracks could sound like this:eek:

Oh man don't even get me started on the wii port of CS. I went and checked out a bunch of the tracks on youtube, and I couldn't believe how awful they sounded. :p

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:02 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Vernian Process said:
Oh man don't even get me started on the wii port of CS. I went and checked out a bunch of the tracks on youtube, and I couldn't believe how awful they sounded. :p

I'll direct youHere in that case. Yes they are garbage now (well most of them), but just you wait for the update.

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:47 AM
cultr1 said:
I'll direct youHere in that case. Yes they are garbage now (well most of them), but just you wait for the update.

And so I shall, with eager ears.

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:28 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I forgot to ask what you guys thought of the title of this collection? It took me a while to come up with, but I finally decided on "A Sleeping Destiny" as Quote starts the game asleep, and learns about his destiny to save the Mimigas and stop Ballos (again) throughout the course of the game.

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:18 PM
I think that something hinting at silence, or quiet would be a nice touch to the title, seeing that Quote hardly ever talks. For all we know, when he interacts with people, he could be a professional pantomimer

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:38 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
This sounds like a really awesome idea! I haven't listened yet, but I will ASAP.

And I like the title. As for the silence idea that Volley mentioned, I dunno, "sleeping" sorta relates to silence, but I don't know how fitting that idea even is. I always thought the lack of dialogue for Quote was not meant to mean that Quote doesn't talk, but just that the player should be able to fill in the gaps (infer what Quote is saying) on their own.

I think it's more important that the title matches the style of the music, and once I've listened I'll be able to tell you my opinion on how well it fits.