Misery Story (abandoned :c)

Feb 17, 2011 at 2:12 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Re: Misery Story

WoodenRat said:
10 bucks say you'll release one five minute long demo and abandon this.

I wouldn't make that bet.

Lunar, when you do get around to working on this one, do you think you will be releasing new versions often (like Jenka's nightmare), or be more traditional like having a short demo and then a final release (or semi-final release lol). Both approaches have benefits and drawbacks.

About Misery's floating-note that she can float, not necessarily fly, and she might not be able to float indefinitely.

How you decide to do weapons/accessories with Misery will be interesting. There's plenty of room to experiment--I hope you don't get in too far over your head lol because for me it would probably be too much. One idea about weapons...I can't really picture Misery shooting guns, but you'll probably have to do something like that since it would be quite difficult to do everything with 'magic'. Perhaps you could try something in the style of some other games, where you can add magical elements to weapons or accessories. This could go along with your theme of the elements in Jenka's nightmare, and there are plenty of directions you could take it, although you would probably need to add elements as properties of enemies, as well.

Even if you were to not make any groundbreaking (or, mindnumbing) changes to the weapons/accessories, you can still make this mod very good if you come up with a good story. Exploring Misery's morally ambiguous nature is a good idea. I'm definitely going to be looking forward to this mod :rolleyes: But don't rush, I'd like Jenka's Nightmare to be clean and crisp first!

Feb 17, 2011 at 2:38 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."

Wow. It seems I've made quite a name for myself, haven't I?
And those are some good ideas, king. I think I'll still use "spells", but maybe I can use destructive (oblivion) and creation spells (genesis). I would just need some help figuring out how to summon a falling block in front of misery.

Feb 17, 2011 at 3:43 AM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"

*coughMagicScrollscough*
also, i think it would be better if you did bi-weekly demos (once every other week) cause it seems like on Jenka's Nightmare i'd download one version, come back not three days later, and the new demo would be out, which just seems stupid fast.

Feb 17, 2011 at 4:44 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"

LunarSoul said:
And those are some good ideas, king. I think I'll still use "spells", but maybe I can use destructive (oblivion) and creation spells (genesis). I would just need some help figuring out how to summon a falling block in front of misery.

Summoning a falling block in front of Misery would be cool, but I sure would hate to have to fight a map full of monsters with nothing but falling block summons or something similar...

Feb 17, 2011 at 5:21 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"

I think the "falling spike" npc uses a bullet, which can hit other npcs.

Feb 17, 2011 at 7:32 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."

King said:
About Misery's floating-note that she can float, not necessarily fly, and she might not be able to float indefinitely.

She can float indefinitely. She never touches the ground in either boss fight with her.

I can't really picture Misery shooting guns, but you'll probably have to do something like that since it would be quite difficult to do everything with 'magic'. Perhaps you could try something in the style of some other games, where you can add magical elements to weapons or accessories. This could go along with your theme of the elements in Jenka's nightmare, and there are plenty of directions you could take it, although you would probably need to add elements as properties of enemies, as well.

You can just make the weapons spells. Wrath of Revorshkenahl did this.

LunarSoul said:

You could make it "throw" a block horizontally instead, if you wanted.

And yes, the "falling spike" can kill monsters, so respriting that could work. It should probably do similar damage, to make up for the awkwardness of using it.

Feb 17, 2011 at 12:12 PM
Professional Whatever

The spike from "Egg corridor?"? It uses an out of bounds weapon?

EDIT:
Malpercio said:
also, i think it would be better if you did bi-weekly demos (once every other week) cause it seems like on Jenka's Nightmare i'd download one version, come back not three days later, and the new demo would be out, which just seems stupid fast.
Yes, but I only do that if there's a fatal (or annoying, or stupid) glitch that I have to fix. Notice how the smaller versions are (eg.) 0.9.1. So, not much is changed. You really don't need to delete your save for tiny updates like that.

NOVEMBER EDIT:
Hah! I'm such a noob.

Feb 17, 2011 at 3:50 PM
Pirate Member

magic9mushroom said:
She can float indefinitely. She never touches the ground in either boss fight with her.
... either? oh, in Undead Core fight too?
anyway, in the final boss fight with plain Misery, who knows where she's porting away to. she might not be able to float indefinitely and she's teleporting to a block on the wall of the castle outside to take a breath and recover float-time

Feb 17, 2011 at 5:47 PM
Professional Whatever

Strange accusation, Malpercio.

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:57 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"

Malpercio said:
anyway, in the final boss fight with plain Misery, who knows where she's porting away to. she might not be able to float indefinitely and she's teleporting to a block on the wall of the castle outside to take a breath and recover float-time

Or she can float indefinitely by the time quote comes around - doesnt mean she didnt at one time have a limit on her floating ability.

Feb 18, 2011 at 5:19 AM
Pirate Member

perfectly reasonable accusation because what other use could she have for teleporting around the room when all her attacks are ranged anyway?

Feb 18, 2011 at 7:24 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."

LunarSoul said:

What do you mean by "out of bounds"?

Malpercio said:

IIRC the frame after she finishes warping out she starts warping in again, so there's definitely not enough time for a breath.

King said:
Or she can float indefinitely by the time quote comes around - doesnt mean she didnt at one time have a limit on her floating ability.

Quite true.

Malpercio said:
perfectly reasonable accusation because what other use could she have for teleporting around the room when all her attacks are ranged anyway?

Um... to get away from Quote?

After all, her attacks have longer range than Quote's. Teleporting away gives her free time to attack without being attacked back.

Feb 19, 2011 at 1:16 AM
Pirate Member

magic9mushroom said:
IIRC the frame after she finishes warping out she starts warping in again, so there's definitely not enough time for a breath.
ever heard of an afterimage?

magic9mushroom said:
Um... to get away from Quote?

After all, her attacks have longer range than Quote's. Teleporting away gives her free time to attack without being attacked back.
except you know, she never teleports far enough away for more than a second of spells, and a few times i've had her disappear and reappear five feet to the right.

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:07 AM
Professional Whatever

magic9mushroom said:
What do you mean by "out of bounds"?
After the entry for the spur, there are a bunch of black weapons with *OOB* next to their number. They usually have really insane values, like 2000 range.

Apr 8, 2011 at 8:52 PM
Professional Whatever

Sorry for the double post, but I've started misery story.
I'll start working on it tonight. Anyone know how to make the blade reset to 0 xp on use and restore a certain amount of hp depending on its level? (I'm clueless with ASM, but maybe set the hp restore to work as the damage, but for quote)

Apr 10, 2011 at 8:43 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"

This would be awesome in the PC version!

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:43 PM
Professional Whatever

...What? I am modding the PC version.

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:52 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"

LunarSoul said:
Sorry for the double post, but I've started misery story.
I'll start working on it tonight. Anyone know how to make the blade reset to 0 xp on use and restore a certain amount of hp depending on its level? (I'm clueless with ASM, but maybe set the hp restore to work as the damage, but for quote)
there are people who know how to do that, yes

there also happen to be guides on how to use ASM, which are more reliable and won't get annoyed at you if you keep asking them questions

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:55 PM
Professional Whatever

I'm trying. I'm reading guides on it, but I can't cram all this modding crap into a couple hours a day.
...Plus I have modder's block.

EDIT: I didn't mean that literally. When someone says "anybody know ...", they usually want you to show them how to do it.

EDIT2: Sorry for the lack of updates, but I'm working on misery story. Honestly!

Apr 27, 2011 at 10:05 AM
Assistance
"All your forum are belong to us!"

Word of advice from a person who's modded this damned game for 2 years:

Take your time, don't rush things to make it perfect. Give it time. Let it be your hobby, no one is forcing you to work on it, just have fun with it. I swear, if you just follow my advice, modding would be alot more easier and more flexible than you think. Don't end up drilling yourself into a situation, make the experience amazing. If you don't like the feeling that you're getting from modding, stop and quit. It's best to do things that are fun, not things that seem like too much of a burden.

Take it from good ol' uncle Ralren.