Misery Story (abandoned :c)

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:45 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I think the sprites for the leaf blade projectiles should be animated.

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:55 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You mean for level 3? I was thinking about this as well, but I can't think of how to do it so it looks nice. Tile/sprite editing is not my specialty.

Update: finished new map/important cutscene. Took me about an hour and a half.

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:37 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
good to hear. loving this mod.

Jan 24, 2012 at 2:31 AM
Professional Whatever
I just remembered something. For a certain cutscene that I mentioned, I used mimigas because I have a lack of generic human sprites. Could someone make a couple for me? I'm terrible at spriting as said in my last post.

EDIT: they would need to be laying down, like sleeping mimiga.

also this:
p119721-0-utvl6.png
Sorry it's so small, but you see my problem. The two entities that seem to be merging are Kanpachi (fishing) and Boss - Ballos. Does anyone understand the problem?
Ohyes, and I changed Ballos' chosen tileset to "map tileset 2" (as opposed to "1").

Jan 24, 2012 at 2:37 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
I just remembered something. For a certain cutscene that I mentioned, I used mimigas because I have a lack of generic human sprites. Could someone make a couple for me? I'm terrible at spriting as said in my last post.

I suggest Cripplechair. Considering, well, Flipped Races and all.

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:51 AM
Based Member
So, I played the most recent demo some time ago, but haven't gotten around to critiquing it yet. So, here it goes:

Storyline: Pretty good. I think you started at a fair spot. One thing that bothers me though, is that this is supposed to take place before the Demon Crown was even created. Infact, this begins when Mimigas start showing up at the island. One of the mimigas in the plantation at the beginning introduces himself as Arthur. Arthur doesn't die until shortly after the Doctor rises to power, so I'm doubtful that Arthur would have been a few thousand years old when he was killed by the Doctor.

Dialog: Fair. Your representation of Jenka seems pretty good, and I guess that you filled young Misery with your own assumptions.

Level Design: Now this varies a bit. When ever you build onto pre-existing maps, your modificaions are pretty good. But when you make your own original, there is extra room for improvement. Your modification to the Sand Zone seems fairly natural, but I feel that the mimiga hideout could use a little more pizzaz. That was interesting what you did with that one flying beetle that runs along the lower part of the entrance of the Sand Zone.

Gameplay: Now, this mod, like so many others, is hard. Too hard in my opinion. The flying beetles in the Sand Zone have WAY too much HP, as do the baby polishes. It's just asking too much of the player to destroy them in multiple shots that early on in the game with just that one spell. Also, the fight with Beta was very frustrating as well. there are way too many obstacles there. Just fighting him with all the rollings, 10 HP, and only one spell is totally insane. Additionally, I didn't realize it wasn't Omega until the victory message told me it was Beta. Simply re-coloring its sprite sheet will go a long way. Sorta like Shmitz did for Alpha in Jenka's Nightmare, a mod I know you're very well familiar with ;). But I see you did something of the sort for the fight with Prince though. But once again, the fight is too hard. Those blocks he throws kill you in one shot, even if you have full health. You should consider getting a new spell before that fight, and increasing your health capacity to more than just that one expansion at the beginning of the Sand Zone. It's really annoying for about half of the obstacles to be able to kill you in one shot even at full health.

Glitches: At the very first cutscene, it initially shows Misery's sprite with the top row of blue pixels there, and has them disappear to acommodate her younger look as the cutscene progresses. Also, in the bit of dialog before destroying all of the Orangebells, Jenka doesn't appear until the message box disappears. Furthermore, when I defeat rabid Prince, he jumps directly to the right of the door as the death animation commences for some reason.

Improvements: Fix all of the glitches mentioned above. For making Misery look younger in her face picture, you did a pretty good job. But just taking out the top row of pixels in her sprite just doesn't cut if for me. I hope you get her a better sprite sheet by the final version. The mimiga in the plantation introducing himself as Arthur bothers me... It would be nice to learn another spell before entering the Sand Zone. The flying beetles and baby polishes in the Sand Zone have WAY too much HP. Add some more of those life capsule modifications before the Sand Zone, so that not everything will kill you in one hit when you have full health. Either that, or decrease the amount of damage dealt by them. Make the fight with Beta easier. Edit the sprite for beta so that it doesn't look so much like Omega. Make the sprite for the unconcious Prince look less like a blue toroko, and more like the blue Sue that the rest of his sprites look like.

So, I have collected the unconcious Prince, but can't seem to find what to do next. Is this the end of the demo? Well, nice work you've done so far! I'll be following this mod.

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:59 AM
Professional Whatever
Download the newest version, there's a bit more.
The Beta fight is actually extremely easy once you find a pattern. I usually stay on the right, jump when the roller comes, and shoot down babies when I need to. (Best out of context quote ever right there)
The Enraged fight is a little difficult, maybe I'll make it easier.
I plan on making Arthur's ancestors all named Arthur, just for kicks.
I completely forgot to reColor Beta, I'll have to do that when I have time.

Thanks for testing and giving input! I appreciate it, a lot.

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:03 AM
Based Member
Alright. The latest version is 0.25, right? That's the version I'm running. Forgive me for my laziness, but where do I go once I have the unconcious Prince?

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:04 AM
Professional Whatever
That would be the teleporter. Talk to Jenka.
Also I know I know I know there's something I still need to sprite but I'll get on it later.

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:07 AM
Based Member
When I teleported into the Sand Zone, I appeared there out of thin air, and don't believe I came out through the receiving end of another teleporter. And I don't think Jenka came with me to the Sand Zone. Maybe I AM using an older version. You're not saying there's a teleporter at the entrance are you? I'll have to re-download it and make sure I'm using the latest version. Again, 0.25 is the latest, right?

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:09 AM
Professional Whatever
Sorry, you acutally have to build the teleporter. It's right where you came in. Just check around and you'll find it. You should have parts in your inventory to build it (arrgh, I think it's still a key, I need to fix that too)

1337th post. Hell yeah.

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:31 AM
Based Member
Aha! So, I've now completed the demo. Here are my further critiques:

The fact that you have to go to that very spot and press down is not very obvious at all. It wouldn't hurt to have a sparkly item there just so you know you're supposed to go there. Next, I fail to understand the logic behind that grazzy plane. If you enter the door from which you came, she says something like, "that's our temporary house." or something. And going to the left takes you back to the storehouse? I don't understand. Also, I forgot to mention earlier. In some of the rooms, you forgot to use the <FON0016 command, causing a jerky camera. I see this also happens a lot in JNR. As for the fight with Ballos' second form, is THAT supposed to be Ballos? If so, then ok. If not, then maybe you should edit the sprite of it. So, that's all I have to say for now.

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:41 AM
Professional Whatever
Next, I fail to understand the logic behind that grazzy plane. If you enter the door from which you came, she says something like, "that's our temporary house." or something. And going to the left takes you back to the storehouse? I don't understand.
It's in the opening sequence and a later cutscene, and links to another map later in the game.

As for the fight with Ballos' second form, is THAT supposed to be Ballos? If so, then ok. If not, then maybe you should edit the sprite of it.
Also I know I know I know there's something I still need to sprite but I'll get on it later.
Yeah.

The <FON thing I never knew you had to do. What do you FON on? Do you just create a blank entity for it?

I'll have to test your mod out as well, thanks for your help so far!

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:50 AM
Based Member
Sure! And I'm glad that you're gonna be testing out my mod. Whoops, sorry. I meant to say <FOM0016. Not <FON0016. Simply adding <FOM0016 to the end of all cutscene scripts prevents the jerky camera glitch. As for <FON, that's for a certain NPC, as opposed to <FOM (Focus On Me). The usages of them is fairly intuitive by simply looking at their descriptions in Cave Editor's script editor. If you're using Sue's, then, uh, I guess the best approach would be to do a little poking around at Pixel's code in the script for the cutscene in the Sand Zone storehouse, and note how it focuses on different NPCs at different times. I would love it if you fixed this in MS and JNR, cause this really bothered me In Jenka's Nightmare Revived, especially when you go back up the Red Tower, and the transition between doors is all jerky. I would love it if you fixed that.

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:53 AM
Professional Whatever
Oh, I knew the difference, it's just that <FON kinda made sense as well (in small rooms it could be used to lock the camera I guess, but if the camera can move I guess that's counterproductive >.<)
I'll add it to my to-do list.

Jan 30, 2012 at 6:32 PM
Based Member
Oh, um. So when I reviewed this mod for the first time, I hadn't completely established my mod reviewing system, but now that I have, I'll give this mod my score.

Storyline: 8/10 Great. (Note: an explanation to back up my rating usually goes after the rating of each category, but that isn't here since it's already mentioned in an earlier post.)

Dialog: 7/10 Good.

Level Design: 6/10 Fair.

Gameplay: 7/10 Good.

Glitches: I mentioned three before, plus the jerky camera, so there are four glitches in total that I can name right off the bat.

Improvements: If you subtract the number of suggested improvments that you defended from the amount I suggested, then there are seven suggestions of mine in total.

Over all score: 6/10 Fair. I hope that a score like that dosn't discourage you. This mod has the potential to be great, but I feel that it's being held back by level design that could be improved, a high difficulty, and it wouldn't hurt to clean it a little more thoroughly of glitches before each release. Don't get me wrong though, I like this mod. And I feel very strongly about giving the player a second spell before the Sand Zone.

Jan 30, 2012 at 7:37 PM
Discord Group Moderator
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I agree with the person above. You need to fix these things and and add more content now!

Jan 30, 2012 at 7:59 PM
Professional Whatever
I don't think right now, winds, but thanks for reminding me of hayden's post.
Thanks for your feedback! Personally I don't see much wrong with the difficulty level, except maybe the enraged fight, but I'll see what I can do.
Also I've never been good at map making =P

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:15 PM
Based Member
By all means, don't rush him. We'll let him take his time, and the reason I embelished with more emphasis was because the first time I reviewed this mod, I hadn't fully developed my mod reviewing system. Since I fully developed my system for the purpose of reviewing Curly's Adventure, I decided to apply it here to fully inform MagicDoors of what I think about this mod.