King: Strife and Sacrifice (AKA King's Story)

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:42 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Re: King: Strife and Sacrifice (old was King's Story)

Fix works like a dream. Awesome, thank you.

I be working on that sample collection run now.

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:15 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"

GAH! I WAS close.

But damn, do I want to see more now.

I'm going to semi-obsessively check for updates on this one. :(

Thank you, Noxid, for the help on the glitch. As somebody higher in the thread suggested, I was running Windows 7 64-bit, which may be the root of the issue (or why I found the issue, rather).

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:46 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I think checking once a week might be sufficient, since that's when I do status updates :(
I'm glad you like it though.

Speaking of which, GIRakaCHEEZER was kind enough to make an attempt at improving the crystals. the link below leads to a sample image, and below that is a zip folder you can use to "Upgrade" your copy. Simply extract the contents into the "stage" subfolder of the data folder, answering yes when it asks you if you want to overwrite (and make sure it doesn't end up in a folder of it's own within "stage", that wouldn't do any good, but I'm sure you all know that.)

http://n0xid.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/new-cryst.png?w=639&h=479

http://www.mediafire.com/?m42tcmyy5li

There's at least a 68% chance it won't fall apart into miserable pieces, so what are you waiting for!
Uh, but you don't have to dl if you don't want to, seriously.

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:59 AM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"

I have no idea why I haven't tried this mod yet, and now I'm glad I did. I've always found King to be an interesting and mysterious character so I know I'm gonna love this, it's kind of like how I felt when watching Star Wars Episode 3, haha. I'm just starting at the crystal caves, I'm not sure how much I have left.

You did an awesome job of making me feel attached to the characters, even in just the short beginning sequence. All the gore and violence just make it so powerful and emotional, it's just amazing so far. It's bringing back how my first playthrough of Cave Story made me feel.

The whole beginning plus all the talk about how evil humans are made me want to be a mimiga all over again, I guess this is what happens when I play too much Cave Story XD

I look forward to playing through King's slow transformation into the dark, badass character he becomes.

Edit:
Question:
What is Yuki's association with King? I at first assumed they were at a similar age and it was somewhat of a relationship sort of thing, but then she mentioned her kids and I got confused. Or maybe I'm just thinking of the wrong dying mimiga or something.

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:23 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Yakkers said:
Edit:
Question:
What is Yuki's association with King? I at first assumed they were at a similar age and it was somewhat of a relationship sort of thing, but then she mentioned her kids and I got confused. Or maybe I'm just thinking of the wrong dying mimiga or something.

I think you might have her confused with someone else. Yuki wore a blue dress, yeh? That Mimiga was wearing green if I do recall, although it should be somewhat obvious at the end of the demo.

Mar 4, 2010 at 12:51 AM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"

When is the demo where you actually get to the command hub coming out? cud you give us a percentage of what you have done? plz? this is epic! i want more! sorry i'm rambling. I will shut up now.

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:57 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Well, I'm afraid I can't give a percentage because I have no idea how much longer it'll take; it was six months in the making for the demo you see now. However, should you ever desire a look at how my work is coming along or what part I'm doing at the moment, feel free to stop by the development blog I update weekly. Link's in my sig, furthest image left, or alternatively you can click this: http://n0xid.wordpress.com

I like to only release demos after I've gotten large segments completed...

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:58 AM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"

diph.php

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:41 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator

sixtyseconds said:
When is the demo where you actually get to the command hub coming out? cud you give us a percentage of what you have done? plz? this is epic! i want more! sorry i'm rambling. I will shut up now.
It is usually a bad idea to ask a dev for release dates or percentages because you are forcing him to commit to that date or percentage, and such things are usually hard to determine. Asking him what he has left to do before the next release and determining that for yourself is a far better option, or just follow updates as they come.

Mar 12, 2010 at 5:02 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"

I just played through the demo and I must say it is very good. The difficulty is definitely challenging enough.

Random Note:
In the cave w/ all the green crystals, there is one place where you can get a +2 on your max health - it's high up and you can't jump up - you would normally have to wait until later when you can get it by dropping down from above - but I was able to grab it from below by getting hit and then jumping on top of the little helicopter guy when it was in midair. It was hard to do, but maybe you should put a wall there or something if you're not meant to get there until later.

I hope you continue this to completion because it has a lot of potential. However it seems that based on the pace of the game so far, there would be a long way to go before it is complete. If you continue with the same pace and creativity that is present in the demo then I'm sure no one will be disappointed with the final version, to say the least. Keep it up, and good luck

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:43 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"

I just played through the demo and all I have to say is - WOW. I guess I could write a wall of text about how much fun I had but it's pretty obvious from the first sentence. Good job man, don't abandon this mod.

Apr 7, 2010 at 8:16 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"

Just watched the vid for the new stuff. Looks good. The lazers are pretty standard, but the camera muxt have been hard, as well as the smoke detection.looking forward to the demo.

Apr 20, 2010 at 4:32 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
This is my official announcement that I'm going to be up-ressing (I made that up) my mod. More info can be found here.

http://n0xid.wordpress.com/2010/04/20/double-resolution/

I just have one request; please don't correct me if it's technically quadruple, this is what I'm calling it.

Apr 20, 2010 at 6:01 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever

o.O super graphics!

You're not doubling the pixel count, you're doubling the
Awesomeness power!!!

and why is the gun so low res in the pic? It doesn't do justice to that gleaming pile of extra victory.

Apr 20, 2010 at 6:04 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I forgot the gun >_>
But thanks :D

Apr 20, 2010 at 6:07 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever

Noxid said:
I forgot the gun >_>
But thanks :D

It looks higher res than the original, but not as super duper as it could be. I am not understand.

Apr 20, 2010 at 6:11 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Nope, that's actually how it always looked.
p82705-0-b33m.png

See?

EDIT: I forgot to mention, GIR helped a lot with this too, I probably would never have been able to do it without him so he deserves some credit too.

Apr 20, 2010 at 7:57 PM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"

So have you figured out a way to put as much obstacles as possible for people who would want to create CSWII with this? It shouldn't take too much to deter people who would just load the wii's graphics into it from doing so.

Apr 20, 2010 at 8:23 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Well as it stands my engine is pretty torn apart; I've replaced a number of the most common entities and a few other things so it wouldn't be a simple swap n' drop. I had ideas for a few other little tricks but I'm going to keep those to myself.

Apr 20, 2010 at 9:24 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"

Noxid said:

Hmm? This image is still low-res...