King: Strife and Sacrifice (AKA King's Story)

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:18 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Re: King: Strife and Sacrifice (old was King's Story)

Ever since I finished the demo, I've been thinking. After a couple days I realized something. I didn't want King to find Yuki. I didn't know why. I just hoped the he would never see Yuki again. Soon, I realized why I had such hopes. I was afraid of what would happen to her. I wanted King to find that she was still alive, but never see her for fear of what would happen. Crazy right? I don't think so. After all he's been through...

Jan 13, 2010 at 5:48 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"

Hm? What exactly did you fear would happen if he found her?

Jan 13, 2010 at 8:55 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"

The worst. For him to finally find his friend after everything that happened and...

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:01 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"

Say no more good sir. I know what you are hinting at.

Personally, I'd rather find her, rather than let her possibly be killed by the robots or......um, nah, not gonna say. But I'd still rather find her.

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:32 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"

:( I still don't get what you're hinting at :o. You could like spoiler tag it or pm me or something...

Jan 13, 2010 at 10:13 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Jan 13, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Darn it, now i feel all emo. Bleh. But you could consider that a good thing. After playing all the games I have, few things get to me emotionally. But this mod. It isn't even finished yet and already it has me emotional. Hope this turns out well.

Jan 15, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Well, what do you mean by it turning out well - that it will have a happy ending, or that the rest of it is just as well done? Remember, this is a prequel portraying King's past - King's! You know what he's like in Cave Story. :rolleyes:

Jan 15, 2010 at 8:28 PM

That the rest of it is well done.

Jan 26, 2010 at 6:12 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Excellent work sir, excellent work indeed. I just finished the demo. Beautiful. The Crystal Caverns felt too repetitive, with the music and constant green, but the intro was fantastic plotwise.Yikes! I can see her heart beating! So... Grim. So much blood. Brilliant. Keep up the good work!

Jan 28, 2010 at 3:45 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"

I noticed 2 Things:

1. If you enter and exit Kings House again after Arthur wakes you up and walks away, hes just standing next to the Door and is saying nothing at all.

2. I wonder where Jack is..........its not like i would care for that weird guy but still.

Very Impressed from the mod, I must say.

Jan 28, 2010 at 5:33 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Thanks for your comments :)

Item 1. has been added to my todo list.
Heh, Jack... How on earth does that guy deserve to be #2 in the village? Quite strange indeed.

Jan 29, 2010 at 8:19 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."

Nice plot idea.

Crystal caves gave me bad memories of chemistry class though...

Feb 6, 2010 at 9:15 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"

[edit] spelling fix

Absolutely awesome stuff here, love the way the plot is going.

Having one issue though. The rolling enemies, when they encounter a wall or obstacle, jumps. For some reason, whenever they land after jumping (it's fine if they just fall, or if you manage to kill them before they land) King crashes to desktop.

This has caused me to try to play through the caverns in LIVING TERROR of these guys. But I've sloughed my way through to the second save-point... and shortly thereafter I find...

A jump, with a rolling enemy on a ledge a little past the jump, positioned so that I cannot cross that jump without getting into his activation range. When he activates, he's facing a wall, so he jumps, and there is no way to take him down before he lands.

It's the hole that, when you fall down it, you land among a few critters and a power critter.

Other minor points:
- Having enemies positioned near save-points is somwhat annoying.
- In the village, before the big scene, you can enter the meeting hall and get attacked by the two kids. If you (like me on my first play-through) don't know about the scene coming up and don't heal first, then that can make the robot climb rather difficult. Especially since you get the auto-save. 3 hit points to get to the top hurts. I would suggest that you prompt the player whether he wants to save there, and/or provide a yellow flower in King's House, or nearby.

Still, phenomenal work that I could love to see completed. I'm keeping an eye on this one.

Feb 6, 2010 at 9:32 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
That's really odd, I can't duplicate this problem myself. You have version 0026, the most recent, I assume? I'm going to look at the assembly again to see if there's anything sketchy in there. Hmm....

EDIT: oh right, I forgot, the entire thing is sketchy. Well, perhaps I can fix it after dinner, I haven't eaten all day.
Also, I now realize that going to sleep in your house should, indeed, heal you. Oops

Feb 7, 2010 at 12:00 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"

Yeah, foldername is King 0026.

If there is any information i can provide that would help, lemme know. Everything else has been stable, just when those little rolling thingies land after jumping. (do those things have a name. by the way?)

managed to get by the one jump, using the level 3 bubbler, turning around, and letting go fast enough and with enough bubbes up there to take him out, and now I appear to be at another similar situation.

Feb 7, 2010 at 12:25 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Well, I have a slight idea why it could be happening. I wanted an extra range check for when it hit the ground so it stops chasing if you're too far away, but I ran out of space, so I put it where the old map data was and jumped to it and then back. Dollars to doughnuts that's what's causing the problem. I suppose I'll have to just re-write the entire NPC, I think I might be able to squeeze it in there if I work at it. Still, I wonder why it's happening for you and no one else? I don't think I changed the assembly at all between 0025 and 0026, so I don't think it's just broken in the new version. Is your computer particularly old or new, maybe? Perhaps if you're on 64 bit you could run it in compatiblility mode for 32 bit? I don't know, I'm not a big hardware buff :/

Also, they don't really have a name yet.. I call em rolling things as well :p
If you've got a name for them I like I'll use it :cool:

EDIT: Oh, and, there's this thing and all what with the needing to go back into the caves and get some rocks and stuff... basically loop the whole place again. If you can't get it working, I can give you a profile .dat right at the end of the tunnel with the "Fetch quest" finished, so you can see the last little bit without having to raeg for hours. (you're almost done, basically)

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:42 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."

Jumping there and back should theoretically work, right? It's not like a couple of jump instructions would crash the game, as long as you didn't use the old map data for something else.

And yeah, when I played this mod, I never got that problem, so maybe investigate his PC a little more?

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:57 PM
Been here way too long...

as long as he isn't calling anything, it should work.
also, this check is sorta unnecessary, right? do you not check the range every step?
slash and burn, then see if it still works.

Feb 7, 2010 at 4:51 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
http://www.mediafire.com/?zmv4irttqeo

I dun wanna go redo the whole thing right now, so this is just a fix to get you by. Instead of checking range when they land to determine whether or not to go static or keep rolling, they just automatically go to state 1. The downside to this is that they sorta slide a bit under certain circumstances but it shouldn't affect gameplay too much. Simply replace the old king.exe with this and you should be good to go.

Again, this is just a fix, and if it still doesn't work then I don't really know what to say.