King: Strife and Sacrifice (AKA King's Story)

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Something wanted me to replay this. I don't know why, but I did and my god I remember so much about my first time playing through it. Anyway, I managed to find a slight error. It's not game breaking, but it kinda looks sloppy as is.
This is BEFORE you get the bubbler and you have to get to the gunsmith hermit. http://i928.photobuc...ngSampSbug1.jpg
Then while fighting all the robots... http://i928.photobuc...g1continued.jpg
The wall randomly fixes itself. I think you might want to take a look into this.
Oh, and also, I was hiding above the block where the boss was, and he was able to hit me through the block with the rocket and kill me. It could just be a coding error at the time.

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:03 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I finally got around to playing this and it is amazing so far.

Though there are a couple of niggling issues that pop out at me:
1. The need to type in samples (a vertical select box would be good, like the Yes/No boxes but vertically stacked).
2. The dependency on the keyboard when entering the password (you can't even confirm without the keyboard).
3. Talking to an npc in front of a bed triggers the bed instead of the npc.
4. The generator is hard to trigger.

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:22 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."

Selection menus would be much easier than hacked TSC CIN (c input).

You can actually do selection menus using pure TSC:

1. Go to a separate room just for the menu.

2. Hide the player somewhere off-screen. Use Ironhead Battle mode of movement.

3. When the player presses up, the character hits an H/V trigger that calls the TSC for "one menu item up".

4. When the player presses down, the character hits an H/V trigger (a different one) that calls TSC for "one menu item down".

5. Use flags to track menu positions. Use tiles and <CMP to change the look of the menu and to move the cursor.

Remove the smoke entity (erase the sprites) if you want to look really legit.

6. You can simplify it with custom ASM command <GET (get key code, then conditionally jump to event).

7. If you want the code for <GET I actually have it. I used menus in my newest mod.

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:08 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I used CIN rather than a multi-selection menu because I'd already coded it and reuse is cool
thank you for the suggestion(??) carrotlord but I think I will come up with a more practical solution when I actually code it.

And I will try to make the other things better. The power of source code woo

Dec 4, 2012 at 3:41 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I still think that the code input could be improved by adding the following controls:
UP - Select previous character from available letters in the current cursor position. So if you have input C then UP would give you B.
RIGHT - Next cursor position if current position isn't empty. eg. B to B_
DOWN - Opposite of UP. So if you have input B7 then DOWN would give you B8.
LEFT - Clear current cursor position (if applicable) and return focus to previous cursor position (if applicable). So B_ becomes B, B8 becomes B as well, and J becomes _

Note that _ represents the cursor position.

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:06 AM
Not anymore
Sounds more like an on-screen videogame keyboard from the good ol' days.

Now, I don't find anything wrong with that but other people will retch at the sight of having to use a controller to input a name longer than L-i-n-k.

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:40 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
When the input is a

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

4-digit

password and the character range is from 0 to 9 I see no fault whatsoever with the notion.

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:03 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
How do you get the multi slot profiles?

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:04 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
wizard assembly powers

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:15 AM
Not anymore
It's actually really easy. Just rename the string "Profile.dat" to something else using assembly, and then call the file write function.
Oops, I accidentally made everyone in the Cave Story assembly hacking community look a lot less badass.

EDIT: However, knowing how to render the menu for actually choosing the file is a much bigger pain in the tush.

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:29 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
yeah of course that was literally the only thing i did for that hack
how stupid of me

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Not anymore
Well duh it is.

If you did more work than that, you wouldn't be a very good hacker. That's all you need for multiple save files. The ability to save different files, the ability to read them, and the ability to preview what is inside the file. What else did you do? I can't see much else.

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:18 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

I applaude you for successful mach 3 trolling with that password. Good job.

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:58 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
How do you add a background into the main screen?

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Not anymore
Yes, it requires a very minor amount of ASM knowledge - mainly calling the graphics render function. Ask these kinds of questions in the Quick Hacking/Modding answers thread. People are often willing to answer those kinds of questions.

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:58 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Ok, first off I have to say that this is absolutely 100% without a shadow of a doubt, the BEST CAVE STORY MOD I HAVE EVER PLAYED!

Now, with that off my chest, I have to absolutely congratgulate you, Noxid, on doing such a magnificent job on this hack. I have never even seen such beauty in cave story hacks before. . . it was just breath-taking, especially with the 2X graphics. . . I can't say it enough, this game rocks, and YOU ROCK!

If I had to pick the single best feature in the game, it would have to be the story. The story. . . it moved me I almost cannot express it. . .it was just. . . perfect. How the story started was perfect, as you continued, it was very well done.

as for the blood, well I usually don't like blood in my games. . . especially when there is a lot of it, but actually, you did quite well with it, it was used properly and in the right way. . . ok, way off track now.

I liked how you incorperated the chuchul-something in to the game and how the made king think that he did it (to a very minor point) And overall, how King acts in the game, it did seem that at the beginning of Cave Story that King was a little hard on Torkoro because he had many hardships he had to over come and it made him a different person. I like his character a lot.

and seeing King see his Mom die was a tear jerker. . . but. . . *sniff*. . . anyways. . .

But every game has it's flaws. (and everyone has an opinion, like me) So I have to say some negative other things about the game. . .

actually. . . I was going to say something. . . but nothing comes to mind were I have anything negative about the game.

So PLEASE keep working on this beautiful piece of art!

oh, and one more thing. . . sorry for the

*BUMP*

But I just had to.

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I have to say....This mod made me feel sad about King and I would love to see more on its way!

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:00 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I don't think Noxid is gonna be working on it anytime soon.