Emulators

Dec 16, 2011 at 10:07 PM
"Huzzah!"
Am I the only one using snes9x for the Super Nintendo?

Dec 17, 2011 at 3:45 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Now seriously, since the majority of you people is in for the good ol' SNES days, I hafta plug here two obscure games you should try!

Treasure of the Rudras (Rudra no Hihou)
Imagine the successful children of Chrono Trigger with Final Fantasy 6, especially how this game inherited their great scores in about everything. The plot's split in 4 chapters, three of them with a different protagonist to control, and a different point of view from the same world and story. The major selling point is the magic system. Anything, literally ANYTHING you write down in the Mantra section (Mantras are what the magics are called in this game) can convert in a different spell and effect, including even the power and the SP consumption. It's a must-play for anyone who enjoy an oldskool RPG.

(the game actually spawned a meme in Youtube a few years prior, where you should finish a chapter's end boss with the most ridiculous phrase you can imagine. "DUMBASS" is the most famous out of those, because in one of the chapters, it summons... The word "dumbass"... Which tramples the boss... Yeah...)

Front Mission: Gun Hazard
You probably heard about this franchise , right? An strategy game with mechas, politics, conspirations, all the good times from a Noir War plot. This game is a spinoff from the series, majorly because it's a platformer game, not a strategy one. Ifyou ever heard about Target Earth, Cybernator/Assault Suit Valken, or even Metal Warriors, you'll love this game. Mostly because of the LONG gameplay time, well-sewn plot, and the variety of the system. There's a few RPG thrown in for weapon proficiency and strength, you can have a single ally with you at all times to help most of the missions away (not that their AI is anything worthy mention, but they help). Play it at least once, for the story. It's well deserving of a comic or a movie.

linkruler said:
Am I the only one using snes9x for the Super Nintendo?

The interface is more user-friendly, but ZSNES got more compatibility. Plus, the PSP version of SNES9X is far superior than both, but well, it's PSP only. And borderline illegal to talk about it here.

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:21 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I like the look of these, and will add them to my backlog play Mystic Ark

Dec 17, 2011 at 5:36 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I can vouch for Gunhazard. That's a really nice game. Haven't tried Rudras though...

I'd like to add to Billy MT's SNES recommendations...

If you like Gunhazard I might also suggest the SNES game Assualt Suits Valken (Cybernator is the US/EU version that got censored). It's a similar mech game that focuses on the action. Video's sound is off unfortunately... It's a tough game though!

Seiken Densetsu 3 / Secret of Mana 2
When it comes to fantasy action RPGs, this is a game I can highly recommend. I don't think it ever got released in US/EU for some unknown reason... But, thankfully it's been fan-translated. Grab a buddy ( or two using a patch ) and play this game multiplayer (in person or online with zsnes!) So awesome...

There are many other good ones to talk about, but I'll keep it short :sun:

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:27 AM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Im going to try out some dos rpgs (Ultima).

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:35 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Omega said:
Im going to try out some dos rpgs (Ultima).

Which one?

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:09 AM
Discord Group Moderator
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Quetion: If there is three publised versions of cavestory, isn't our modding the game piracy?

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:16 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
windsofwinds said:
Quetion: If there is three publised versions of cavestory, isn't our modding the game piracy?

We are modding the FREE version.

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:18 AM
Discord Group Moderator
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
but doesn't Nicalis own the right to cave story. I don't know, could be wrong. And what is the diff. between mods and ROMs?

Dec 25, 2011 at 3:30 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
windsofwinds said:
but doesn't Nicalis own the right to cave story. I don't know, could be wrong. And what is the diff. between mods and ROMs?

Nicalis only owns the rights to the wii, dsi, and plus versions of cave story. Pixel will always own the rights to the PC version, and it has been confirmed he doesn't mind mods to his game.

Dec 25, 2011 at 3:46 AM
"Huzzah!"
You forgot to mention the 3DS version.

Dec 25, 2011 at 4:04 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I pretty sure NIS owns the rights to that version.

Jan 1, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Here's something that might interest people who've played Castlevania : Symphony of the Night/Dracula X : Nocturne in the Moonlight

Dracula X : Rondo of Blood (finally in english and dubbed!)
For the PCEngine system/emulator

The most sought-after game in the entire Castlevania series, and the one we should’ve gotten in the first place (I hate you, Konami), Dracula X: Rondo of Blood had multiple secret stages, CD audio, awesome synth music, and animated cutscenes. And the game rocked too!

It’s Castlevania on steroids. You don’t have the multiple-direction whip from Castlevania IV, but in its place you have an item crash, which is a super attack which changes depending on your secondary weapon.

I’d write more, but I haven’t played much of it. But know that it rocks. And that the SNES version has nothing to do with this game. OK, so the SNES version is a retooling, but this is much better.

^ video not using this translation

Jan 2, 2012 at 12:52 AM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Um, I'm not sure, but you may wanna remove the link. We can talk about emulators, but not the ROMs themselves. Sorry if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain that we can't post links to ROMs.

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:32 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Isn't that a patch? those are fine. I cant check at the moment...

Jan 2, 2012 at 5:58 AM
Indie game enthusiast
It's pretty grey to me, the link was to a usually safe site, that linked to a site that apparently had images that were described as patches? But, I think in order to play the image you had to buy the PCengine emulator (an official emulator?) or own the hardware, (there might be alternatives though, dunno, haven't looked)

Anyway, link removed~

It was released in Japan on October 29, 1993. A direct sequel to it, the critically acclaimed Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, was released in 1997.

Castlevania: Dracula X, a game based on it but with a different art style, redesigned levels and altered gameplay, was released internationally for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System two years later. In 2007 and 2008, Rondo of Blood saw a first North American, European and Australian release and 2.5D remake as part of Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles for PlayStation Portable. The original PC Engine version became available in Japan in 2008 on Wii's Virtual Console and as an imported title, in Australia, Europe and North America in March 2010.

Alright looks like if you have a Wii you can support or a PSP you can play without the PCEngine...?

This is reminding me of when I shouted Tactics Ogre was finally translated for SNES! Except... apparently there was a PSP version that's better/already released or something :mahin:

Jan 5, 2012 at 3:15 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
WoodenRat said:
I don't know if you guys remember this one, but GENECYST for SEGA.

Is that Megadrive (sorry, I'm an eurofag) emulator which its menu bar was bleeding?

The ones I use...

GB/GBC/GBA: VisualBoyAdvance-M
SNES: bsnes
NES: FCEUX
PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16: Ootake
NEC PC-98: Anex86
Gamecube: Dolphin
PlayStation: PCSX-Reloaded
Master System/Megadrive: Kega Fusion