Emulators

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:53 PM
"Huzzah!"
Does anybody else use emulators to play games you don't own? I've been using the snes one mostly to play earthbound. I don't want to continue playing legend of the seven stars or super mario world though until I get a PC controller. Keyboard controls are really annoying.

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:35 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Dec 10, 2011 at 7:01 PM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I use Zsnes for some of my old super nintendo games, but other than that I don't really. I might get one for the 64 so I can play ocarina of time. I dun really want a 3ds emulator.

Dec 10, 2011 at 8:31 PM
"Huzzah!"
Snes: SNES9x
Gameboys: Visual boy
NES: fceux
I don't really want to play any of the games until I get $25 for a game controller similar to a PS3's

Dec 10, 2011 at 9:19 PM
I can play any game more effectively on a keyboard. Well, any game that doesn't require precision with an analogue stick. I'm playing Metroid Prime with the keyboard and mouse buttons, and rocking it.

Dec 10, 2011 at 11:03 PM
A old relic from older days
"..."
As much as I hate to be 'that' guy, there might be a rule against this thread.

andwhyisit said:
14. No illegal material, be it pertaining to Cave Story or otherwise. This includes ROMs, illegal downloading of music, hacking the WiiWare Cave Story port, etc.

I mean, I know this thread is about emulators, but ROMs and emulators go hand in hand. On the other hand, the legality of ROMs is circumstantial based on if you own the original game or not.

Dec 10, 2011 at 11:30 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I believe that rule was referring to the spreading of ROMs. That's like saying you're going to shoot someone, and then getting arrested for murder.

I use VisualBoyAdvance for GBA games. I believe Fab linked it above.

Dec 10, 2011 at 11:44 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
NES - FCEUX
SNES - bSNES
NDS - DeSmuME
PS1 - ePSXe
GB/GBA - VisualBoyAdvance
N64 - Project 64

The only modern system I emulate is the DS, which is barely modern anymore anyway.

Dec 11, 2011 at 12:29 AM
Emulators are totally legal. ROMs aren't. Discussion of romhacks is allowed for some reason. And we've talked about emulators before, so ¯\(°_o)/¯

andwhyisit said:
14. No illegal material, be it pertaining to Cave Story or otherwise. This includes ROMs, illegal downloading of music, hacking the WiiWare Cave Story port, etc.

How fucking thick are you?

Dec 11, 2011 at 8:44 AM
"Huzzah!"
DS emulation is a bit iffy, chaps. It's not an out-of-use console yet. Look at AAA+ games being released on it all the time. Radiant Historia, for example. Emulation is 'soft piracy', in a sense.

However, I WILL be downloading that Miles Edgeworth 2 fan translation when it's done.

Dec 11, 2011 at 8:55 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
How does the dolphin work for people? I've heard of it, but wanted to wait till they had most of the bugs worked out.

Let me put it this way: is there a list of games that DO NOT work on dolphin? (there are a shitload of gamecube games I missed out on and would love to play them)

Dec 11, 2011 at 6:39 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
As far as I know, Dolphin plays 95% of all GC games, and 75% of all wii games. To emulate both consoles however it requires a powerful computer.

Note: the above percentages may be inaccurate

Dec 11, 2011 at 8:38 PM
X-Calibar Online
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
It's been a long time since I used any emulators, but I remember having a ton of fun playing Sekien Densetsu 3 multiplayer online thanks to ZSNES.

Also, ePSXe worked great for playing Final Fantasy Tactics with mods and stuff. Making custom characters was a lot of fun xD

Someday I'll get a new PC and check out the newer emus...

Oh, there's a certain hack/mod I'm looking forward to play :
Sonic Megamix for SegaCD

Hope it gets released soon...

Dec 16, 2011 at 10:00 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I used to play a lot of games on emulators when I was younger. I used ZSNES for SNES and I don't know if you guys remember this one, but GENECYST for SEGA.

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:04 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
All of my roms are legally dumped from their original carts to be used with the emulators on my psp. I have a sizable collection of snes, genesis, gb, gbc, gba, n64, and nes carts in my room.

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:18 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I'm actually pro on emulators, especially when it comes to fan translations. I mean, that's the only way we can play certain games that Japan kept hogging all to themselves. >:I Just look at them sites like Aeon Genesis, Romhacking Aerie, or Kajitani-Eizan and the such to see what'cha missing.

And well, there's also the economics part, how cheap it is to just emulate something. But that'll trigger a huge derail here so I'll save it for another time. TL;DR, I'll stop emulating when the price available for it is 50~70-ish bucks, not 150~190 ¬.¬;

Alongide ZSNES and VisualBoy Advance, I also use Kega Fusion for all the Sega consoles, and PCSX2 for PS2

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:42 PM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I use:

snes :zsnes

gba,gb and gbc: visualboy advance

sega genesis,sega cd,sega master system and sega game gear: just fusion

n64: project 64

ds: no$gba

i don't use emulators for ps1,dreamcast and onwards due to poor pc specs and not having enough time to download the isos and complications that arise while setting up the emulators.

Edit: Ive had quite a bit of fun playing sonic megamix.