Community Project Dev Thread [DONE]

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:08 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Re: Community Project Dev Thread

Right, I forgot about the falling triggers. Ignore that for now.
The bed is the end of the demo anyway, so I'll fix it later.
Did you feel it was too short? I don't know whether it is or not. I still have another level to make.

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:12 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."

LunarSoul said:
Right, I forgot about the falling triggers. Ignore that for now.
The bed is the end of the demo anyway, so I'll fix it later.
Did you feel it was too short? I don't know whether it is or not. I still have another level to make.

I'm not really sure what is considered 'too long' or 'too short', but compared to my first level-in-progress it is pretty long.

As for the level itself, I don't know how casual Cave Story players will react to it, but I thought the amount of H/V triggers was fun. I even thought you were going for IWBTG, but your level wasn't nearly that cruel :p
Just the trial and error aspect of it, I guess.

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:14 PM
inside is yello
"..."

404notfound said:
that is hard, can you do me a favor and slightly, just slightly, change the rgb color for background color just up one green setting ( on the tileset editor(cave editor(triple parentheses)))

You don't use three parentheses. (It's not against the rules. [But it isn't the way it should be. {It should be like this}])

The order from what I've learned is: (Parentheses[Braces or Braces{Curly Brackets or Curly Braces.}])

For stuff that needs to be inside that, I've seen "|" used a few times.

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:15 PM
Professional Whatever

Tpcool said:
I'm not really sure what is considered 'too long' or 'too short', but compared to my first level-in-progress it is pretty long.

As for the level itself, I don't know how casual Cave Story players will react to it, but I thought the amount of H/V triggers was fun. I even thought you were going for IWBTG, but your level wasn't nearly that cruel :p
Just the trial and error aspect of it, I guess.

Heh, thanks! I didn't want to be too brutal, but I really got in the spirit of Genesis.

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:25 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator

404notfound said:
that is hard, can you do me a favor and slightly, just slightly, change the rgb color for background color just up one green setting ( on the tileset editor(cave editor(triple parentheses)))

Actually, no, I can't, due to me having used SW.
LunarSoul said:
Here's the demo for the first two levels of my entry.
Please give as quality constructive criticism as you can, I want this to be perfect.

It's looking awesome so far, except the music doesn't really seem to fit the style of the levels. May I suggest Balcony?

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:31 PM
squidward
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"

So I just come up with the plans for the entry and then start making it?

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:31 PM
Professional Whatever

Thanks for the tip, I can see why safety wouldn't work. Balcony would probably be perfect though, thanks.
Now... Would balcony or pulse be better for a dawn scene? And for an evening scene? I can't decide.
(In case anyone was wondering I'm doing a night-to-day progression; Yorugetsu (evening moon), Mayogetsu (full name is Mayonakagetsu which means evening moon), and Zangetsu (morning moon))

@safu: yes.

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:39 PM
Professional Whatever

Dunc2403 said:
Definetely Pulse for a dawn scene, and for an evening scene, for some reason, I think Pulse would be good.

0.o
No, I meant one of each. Sorry.

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:40 PM
inside is yello
"..."

Safusaka said:
So I just come up with the plans for the entry and then start making it?

I would recommend submitting the submission form so that you know what flags to work with.

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:43 PM
Professional Whatever

Shimmyzmizz said:
I would recommend submitting the submission form so that you know what flags to work with.

I'm not ashamed to say I've only used one of my 150 flags for two of my TSC-filled maps.

Nov 2, 2011 at 12:15 AM
squidward
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"

Username: Safusaka
Area Name: Fognatura Fossa
General Description: Tricky labyrinths with nasty water and jump puzzles. Probably one vertical map, a spiral map, and an open map.
No. of maps: 2, probably 3
Desired Health: Preferably 15, because I feel like it would be a early-midgame type level.
Desired Tileset/Background: Cent, Maze, Almond / Maze, Green, Water (might reconsider backgrounds)
Desired Enemy Set: Undecided
Desired Music: Quiet, Gestation, None

Nov 2, 2011 at 2:42 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Lucky 13th submission :p OP has been updated. I'll get onto playing the demos shortly.

Okay, Dunc:
-Please keep the 'first room' and entry door like you did in your trial submission.
-You can't keep that tile that says "map", for obvious reasons. Also get rid of that <CNP, and replace the <EVE0201 with <END.
-The door in the middle is still there, and that Hi! probably isn't appropriate either (although something subtler might be alright).
-Generally you do a fairly good job of showing where spikes are likely to be, but I'm still concerned about potential players getting frustrated, especially because everything looks the same on the Map System map. If you want to keep the spikes as map tiles, something you could maybe try is having the area start off without the spikes, and then after they move forward a short way, give some kind of audio/visual cue and use <CMP/<SMP to change the appropriate tiles to spikes. (This will need a v-trigger; if you don't know how to use them, remember that this thread isn't the place to ask.) That way, players would have a chance to see where they appear, rather than having to learn purely using trial-and-error. Just remember to prevent the player from saving via some method after the map changes (easiest way to deal with potential inconsistencies).
-Maybe make the gap between the second and third set of spikes in the 'falling' part three tiles instead of two, for aforementioned frustration reasons.

LunarSoul:
-The player should have slightly more time to realise that they will need to move before the tile disappears, having just finished whatever the previous area will be.
-I would actually like it more if the bridge fell out on underneath you when you have to jump on top of those pillars in the second area :awesomeface:
-You seemed to imply that the trigger for the block part was missing, but at the moment the top opens up after a minute of <WAI.

Otherwise I really like it so far :awesomeface: The way you use <WAI doesn't stop you from taking damage either, so there's no problem there. Nice werk!

Nov 2, 2011 at 11:00 PM
Professional Whatever
-I would actually like it more if the bridge fell out on underneath you when you have to jump on top of those pillars in the second area
I'm...I'm not sure what you mean.

Otherwise I really like it so far The way you use <WAI doesn't stop you from taking damage either, so there's no problem there. Nice werk!
Thank yu!
Second demo (last one before beta release) <-- First two maps done, third map almost finished

Nov 2, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Progress is brilliant!
This weekend is (I believe) my only chance to do serious progress, so dt you need to please hound me if this is to be done.
I was going to work on it last weekend, but was simply unable.

Nov 2, 2011 at 11:56 PM
Professional Whatever

Lace said:
Progress is brilliant!
This weekend is (I believe) my only chance to do serious progress, so dt you need to please hound me if this is to be done.
I was going to work on it last weekend, but was simply unable.

I didn't even know you modded, lace! I thought you just spouted assembly when it was needed!

Nov 3, 2011 at 12:08 AM

I am a low commitment scoundrel, but I guess it could be said that I do mod (!).
Although the only members who have seen a serious attempt of mine don't come here any more.

Nov 3, 2011 at 12:12 AM
Professional Whatever

Well, I'm very interested to see your modding style!