Community Project Dev Thread [DONE]

Discussion in 'Showcase' started by DoubleThink, Oct 25, 2011.

Old topic!
The last post in this thread is over 60 days old. Posting in this thread will be considered a bump, so please make an attempt to be courteous if you go ahead with it.

If the last post is over 6 months old, it may instead be a better idea to start a new topic. If you aren't sure about what to do, feel free to ask a staff member for help, or try to locate a 'general questions'-type thread if it exists in this (sub-)forum.
  1. Oct 25, 2011
    DoubleThink
    Ja ja ja
    "Life begins and ends with Nu."
    Community Project Dev Thread [COMPLETION CHECKLIST POSTED]

Old OP:
    If you didn't catch the discussion thread, this is to be a creative community collaboration to offer Nicalis for the scheduled CS+ update December, because we currently have little to offer them in terms of what they want (which basically amounts to "new maps only"). This thread is where you will submit your ideas, maps and mod feedback; please keep all discussion regarding the specifics of the project over here. I'll put the sections in spoilers this time because I expect them to start large and only get larger. Also note that the deadline for submission is currently set to November 21st midnight American WST.

AMENDMANT TO THE ABOVE: The 21st is now the submission deadline for the Take 8 beta; a hesitant deadline for final submission is now one week later, or November 28th, same time.

SECOND AMENDMANT: It's now November 30th, and I expect it to be extended at least once more :critter:

NO SOLDIERS IN HOUSES: A static deadline has been nixed in favour of a list detailing who needs to do what in order to get this puppy wrapped up. Things that are not put on the list are not going to be waited for, as we are running out of time here. ALL OF YOU CHECK THIS.

Because strikethrough doesn't work anymore:
    Code:
    [s]Dunc2403:[/s] [s]Post fixed version of area[/s]
    [s]Tpcool:[/s] [s]Post updated version of area[/s]
    [s]Noxid and Lace:[/s] [s]Post completed area[/s] [s]Post updated version of area[/s]
    [s]DoubleThink:[/s] [s]Post completed area[/s]
    [s]MagicDoors:[/s] [s]Post fixed version of area[/s]
    [s]CommanderJersey:[/s] [s]Post completed area/Update area to use the flags he was actually assigned[/s] [s]Post updated version of area[/s]
    [s]Hiino:[/s] [s]Post completed area[/s] [s]along with a guide detailing how to get through it properly >_> (serious)[/s]
    [s]ShInInG PhAnToM Batrider:[/s] [s]Post completed area[/s]
    [s]Safusaka:[/s] [s]Post something or decide that there isn't enough time to complete it[/s]
    ALL CLEAR!

How to contribute
    If you want to submit an area, then please fill out the submission form below so I can coordinate them and assign you your flag numbers etc. You will need these before you start, so please wait until I add you before you do too much work. If you are uncertain of your modding ability, you are free to wait until you're confident you know what to do; If I am uncertain of your modding ability, I will request that you provide a sample before I add you.

Note on difficulty: Things should be hard enough to retain some challenge after completion, but not to the degree that they're a roadblock to later areas. If you want to try something experimental or really difficult, you can make that part optional (and therefore fully leave-able via some mechanism).

If you don't want to do any modding, you can help out by signing up to test maps as they are posted, but please only do one or the other if you aren't finished with your part yet. I want to keep everyone's workload as low as possible (although if you think looking at someone else's work will help that's fine).

Project modding rules
    Or, quality control. The use of things like music and tilesets can only really be first come first served, so try not to hog all the predictable ideas at once. I'm willing to do some fixing/cleaning up for the main project, but do try to do the most professional job that you can. You are free to work together to help your areas 'match up' better, provided you do it properly. Some type of connectivity or theme may have to be thought up before the end; this will warrant further discussion, as will what to do with item descriptions. The individual areas and a speedrun mode will likely be made available in some manner too.

In terms of writing: it's okay to use NPCs, but go light on the dialogue. It may get difficult to explain why they're all turning up in random places so it's probably a good idea to have some fun with it. Some type of interactivity is encouraged, otherwise the project might end up feeling a bit empty and listless.

Mapping rules and tips:
    -Everything must be (at least visually) 'clean'. No messy mapping that jarrs the players' movements or makes them constantly get stuck in the ground.
    -Don't overuse spikes/enemies of any kind/etc unless you know exactly what you're doing.
    -Don't put in enemies that make a ton of noise when you can't see them, or things like moving blocks and Presses that activate before they actually should.
    -Try to avoid using tilesets/enemy sets that have already been used multiple times. Also don't remake Hell, it's been overdone to limbo and back.
    -You can change a map's tileset, but only to another already-existing tileset (i.e. you can't make your own). You can also change the tile properties if you so wish.

Scripting rules and tips:
    -If something doesn't work properly, it gets fixed or removed. Simple as that.
    -Only use the flags that are allocated to you, and try not to design things that will need skipflags.
    -Make sure to animate things like doors and chests properly.
    -Your maps are limited, but with

2. Oct 25, 2011
    Kuro
    Bent
    "..."
    Re: Community Project Dev Thread

Can we put Bosses into our maps?
    (I don't plan to, just a question)
    If so, will there be a Final Boss?
    If so to that, who will make it?

3. Oct 26, 2011
    Tpcool
    Tpcool Online
    Polar Member
    "I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."

Aaaaand I'm not really sure about a final boss fight. I assume there will not be, but DoubleThink will make the final verdict.

4. Oct 26, 2011
    Shimmyzmizz
    inside is yello
    "..."

Well, here's my submission.

Username: Shimmyzmizz
    Area Name: Yes-No
    General Description: Basically, a series of rooms (in the allotted maps) based around the

5. Oct 26, 2011
    DoubleThink
    Ja ja ja

Submission list updated; expect me to update the OP at least once per day provided that something has happened. I should have time to start work on my part come Friday/the weekend.

6. Oct 26, 2011
    CommanderJersey
    Not COMMA
    "Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"

My submission.
    Username: CommanderJersey
    General Description: You use the machine gun to do different kinds of jump tricks while fighting enemys. It's about conserving bullets.
    No. of maps: 3
    Desired Health: 12-20 is fine
    Desired Tileset(s): Sand Zone
    Desired Enemy Set(s): Sand Zone
    Desired Music(s): Meltdown 2
    Other things: I would like to use Omega.
    Also, can we change the tileset properties?

7. Oct 26, 2011
    Lace
    Lesbian Seagull

I am going to try to do this, but I am real bad at the time managements, and also I have no concentrated weekendtime due to college visits. Anyways. My ideal stage.
    UserNom: Should be obvious.
    AreaNom: Duckland
    GeneralDescript*: Eradicate sea-creatures to allow the domination of the ducks (a delusional tribe of migmas)!!!
    As far as gameplay goes, I was hoping to do a smorgasbord of styles, but probably focusing on puzzle solving.
    Number o' Maps: I could make do with one, but would take more if they were available.
    Desired Hittypoints: Whatever. Probably less is better than more, but I don't know how difficult this'll be compared to the rest.
    Other things to know about?: I would like to use Ironhead. I would also like to award a bubbler.

*As a side note, General Descript would be an awesome name. As would General Discord

8. Oct 27, 2011
    404notfound
    Band
    "Wahoo! Upgrade!"

Username: 404notfound
    Area Name: inner network
    General Description: this is like a core battle but with no weapons. you need to find the right terminals to destroy it
    No. of maps:2
    Desired Health: 20
    Desired boss : core
    Desired flags: I need at max: 30 flags
    Desired Tile set :almond
    Desired Enemy Set: core
    Desired Musics:, oppression and jenka 1
    Other things: it would be awesome if I could use the core map (since the boss is already set there)and the dark place WITH a changed tileset and music(it just makes sense)
    i am very familiar with scripting and mapping

EDIT: @doublethink even though the official move event in the mod is #500 but how do we specify the coordinates for the >TRA function?
    Code:

9. Oct 27, 2011
    Kuro
    Bent
    "..."

10. Oct 27, 2011
    404notfound
    Band
    "Wahoo! Upgrade!"

OR we could post the cords in our posts

11. Oct 27, 2011
    Kuro
    Bent
    "..."

Coordinates, but what about the map numbers?

12. Oct 27, 2011
    404notfound
    Band
    "Wahoo! Upgrade!"

Then post that too

13. Oct 27, 2011
    DoubleThink
    Ja ja ja

You can change the tilesets and music of existing maps, as long as you use what's already in the game. Will specify that in the OP.

14. Oct 27, 2011
    andwhyisit
    Administrator

Just do something like:

15. Oct 27, 2011
    404notfound
    Band
    "Wahoo! Upgrade!"

how did my tile set change to sand zone?

16. Oct 27, 2011
    DoubleThink
    Ja ja ja

I undercooked my copypasta :momo:

17. Oct 27, 2011
    Hiino
    honh
    "Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"

Username: Hiino
    Area Name*: Glitchy area, no name yet
    General Description: Messed up maps that need the use of glitches (obviously) to be achieved. Mostly puzzles and labyrinths.
    No. of maps: Let's say 3. I might lower it to 2, though.
    Desired Health: around 30 HP.
    Desired Tileset(s)*: Maze, River
    Desired Enemy Set(s)*: Weed, Eggs1
    Desired Music(s)*: Quiet, Run!, Huzzah!

18. Oct 27, 2011
    Tpcool
    Tpcool Online
    Polar Member
    "I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."

Username: Tpcool!
    Area Name*: The Fall
    General Description: You start falling and you have to not die. Whenever you reach a hazard you get a second to think before you try to avoid it.
    No. of maps: 2
    Desired Health: Doesn't matter.
    Desired Tileset(s)*: Cave
    Desired Enemy Set(s)*: Red
    Desired Music(s)*: Last Cave

Tell me if I did anything wrong.

19. Oct 27, 2011
    Lace
    Lesbian Seagull

Doesn't this violate
    Also in order to beat that level one would need to have a pretty comprehensive understanding of the glitches in cave story, something not all people will have.

On a completely unrelated note, will we be able to use Gamimimi (wind fortress) as our background org? If so, I have all the dibs on it.

20. Oct 27, 2011
    404notfound
    Band
    "Wahoo! Upgrade!"