Cavestory on chormebook!

did it work

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Nov 9, 2015 at 4:46 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
(edit:OUTDATED NEW LINK HERE,This is horribly written just ignore this and use the new link)

All you have to do is download the retroarch apk, download twrek on the chorme store and convert the apk to chorme extention then import it in extions make sure to tick developer mode and press load unpacked extention and look for where you saved unpacked retroarch and then open it. open the cavestory folder then load the games exe and go back to the menu in retro arch then into settings then go to player one binds and map your controlsScreenshot 2015-11-09 at 11.40.33 AM.png Screenshot 2015-11-09 at 11.40.33 AM.png Screenshot 2015-11-09 at 11.40.24 AM.png

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2015 at 4:50 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Wait, Chromebook can't use .EXEs?

Nov 9, 2015 at 4:54 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Using the retro arch app not the chorme book Screenshot 2015-11-09 at 11.53.13 AM.png

Nov 9, 2015 at 5:30 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Nov 9, 2015 at 7:07 PM
using retro arch not the chormebook it self look on how to use twerk andriod app packager on youtube

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2015 at 11:14 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Easier method

Step 1: Install Linux. Or Windows. Or something that isn't Chrome OS.

Nov 10, 2015 at 12:42 AM
"Huzzah!"
Wait, Chromebook can't use .EXEs?
Runs web apps. It's Google Chrome in a laptop. Programs have to be a Chrome extension (or pre-installed, in which case some might be compiled, but I'm not entirely sure), which are all web apps. It's not really intended to replace your Windows/Mac machine - I just use it for school since it's super portable and most of my digital stuff is in Google Drive.

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:57 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
This is NXEngine, an engine for running Cave Story. So it's technically not Cave Story.

If you have a Chromebook with an x86 processor, there are several ways that you could actually run Cave Story.

Nov 14, 2015 at 4:06 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Easier method

Step 1: Install Linux. Or Windows. Or something that isn't Chrome OS.

The issue here is that this individual is probably using his school-issued Chromebook. You can't really get away with installing a new operating system then. Otherwise I see no point in having this method of playing CS. Who even uses a Chromebook without having a laptop or desktop for everything other than surfing the web?

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:43 PM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
The issue here is that this individual is probably using his school-issued Chromebook. You can't really get away with installing a new operating system then. Otherwise I see no point in having this method of playing CS. Who even uses a Chromebook without having a laptop or desktop for everything other than surfing the web?
I did it on my school chrombook but im not sure if it was considered bypassing school restrictions (ok, it really was and it was awesome.) I went into dev mode by taking out the battery, putting it back in, then trying to go into dev mode or something like that. Then i went into crosh and installed ubuntu. It took me around 45 minutes to do this entire process btw, just in case anyone's wondering how long it might take.

Edit: i used the windows version with wine btw

Nov 29, 2015 at 7:08 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I was all excited when I saw this post. Because my school gave us chromebooks and I have been trying to find a working version for weeks (Because I am an addict to this game). I even tried the flash version (And it doesn't work with the new version of flash anymore so that didn't even work). Sadly, our school admin doesn't let us download many apps from the webstore except the ones he verified. (Sigh) My hopes and dreams are crushed by the administrator.

But this is a very cool find! If I ever decide to get my own Chromebook I will try this out. It's fun to experiment with games and get them running on other platforms they were originally never meant to run on. XD

Nov 30, 2015 at 3:43 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Slightly off-topic, but...Anyone heard of the Chromebook Pixel?

It's obviously the best laptop hands-down. :v
[The cellular version mind you]