CaveEditor again (beta, maybe alpha)

Nov 26, 2007 at 6:32 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Maybe because they have no palette?
Why do you guys even use 24-bit images, it is completely unnecessary unless you guys don't have a program for it which sounds to be the case. I'll see if I can find a free program on the net later.

Nov 26, 2007 at 7:04 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Because if you try to save 16bitmap in Paint, the colors might change.

Nov 26, 2007 at 11:13 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
jcys810 said:
Because if you try to save 16bitmap in Paint, the colors might change.
I know. You need a program that gives you palette options when exporting a file to .gif or a 256 colour or less bitmap image, the best program I have for that is fireworks but that costs money.

Nov 26, 2007 at 12:43 PM
taifunbrowser
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
hey, kid, this guy made something neat... don't TELL him to change something <_< rude person...

:heh: that's definately it.

Ok, well I'll start with a blank restart of cavestory then, and if I just use it for my pbm editing then.. ya?

edit: woot! this is really cool

and, the npc editor is just showing a grey box at the right: it would help if we could see the actual animation, that way we could go back and forth between the pbm editor and the npc mode to see if we like how a monster looks
... umm ... but on second thought we probably don't need that :X

edit:oh, pbm editor: undo key (ctrl+z) implementation (lets say, up to last 500 pixels? can't take that much mem <_<) and / or "save a backup" needs to copy the current .pbm and put it in the "backups directory"... use there is that if you edit an image for a while and want to compare with a while before you've got your old image in the backups...

but this really does do everything, it'll just take a while to get used to.

edit^2: save and test crashes on me, even after I de-read-onlied all the fiels...

Nov 26, 2007 at 12:50 PM
Hoxtilicious
Convert Palettes? Why not use IView...?

Oh yeah, undo-steps would be nice, but 500 steps is a little bit too much, 100 would be more than enough. I personally don't like the backup idea :p Some tools like circle and so on would be nice b.t.w. ;P

Animation? Well... It would be enough to display only the sprite I guess and eventually select some animations.

Nov 26, 2007 at 1:43 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Use this program:
http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

1. download and install.
2. run the program then open a 24-bit .bmp file.
3. go to image>mode>indexed.., choose the number of colours you want, use optimum palette, leave the dithering set to "none" then press "convert".
4. if the colours look off then you reduced the colours too much, otherwise if it still looks the same quality as the 24-bit image then you are good to go, use "save as" and save a copy of it.

Nov 26, 2007 at 5:39 PM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I already have that program. o.o

Nov 27, 2007 at 12:57 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
taifunbrowser said:
hey, kid, this guy made something neat... don't TELL him to change something <_< rude person...
I had never planned on this being a full blown image editor. I had just seen so many posts about not being able have edited images work in game I added it to the editor. Even so I did just fix the 24-bit edit problem.

and, the npc editor is just showing a grey box at the right: it would help if we could see the actual animation, that way we could go back and forth between the pbm editor and the npc mode to see if we like how a monster looks
... umm ... but on second thought we probably don't need that :X

edit:oh, pbm editor: undo key (ctrl+z) implementation (lets say, up to last 500 pixels? can't take that much mem <_<) and / or "save a backup" needs to copy the current .pbm and put it in the "backups directory"... use there is that if you edit an image for a while and want to compare with a while before you've got your old image in the backups...

but this really does do everything, it'll just take a while to get used to.

edit^2: save and test crashes on me, even after I de-read-onlied all the fiels...
Undo is on the to do list. As for the crashing, I'm not sure why it's doing it and it's really annoying. It works just fine in my Debug complies but not in the Release versions... so the latest version I just uploaded is the Debug version (basically a bigger file with helpful info for debugging and editing the exe, just like CaveStory itself!). I've tested it and it should work for everyone now.
As for animation and npc graphics and the like, I posted earlier that its being looked at and will probably take a while. I'd hate to release a feature that shows something but isn't useful for actual edits. :o Really ... I hate doing that...

Nov 27, 2007 at 1:50 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Wistil said:
As for animation and npc graphics and the like, I posted earlier that its being looked at and will probably take a while. I'd hate to release a feature that shows something but isn't useful for actual edits. :o Really ... I hate doing that...
It would be useful to see the npc's animation with a new set of sprites without having to start up the mod and get up to a point in the game just to see it animate.

Nov 27, 2007 at 2:02 AM
taifunbrowser
so the latest version I just uploaded is the Debug version (basically a bigger file with helpful info for debugging and editing the exe, just like CaveStory itself!). I've tested it and it should work for everyone now.

: zum frieden : (very happy)

edit: ACccckkkkk!!! "This application has failed to start because MFC71D.DLL was not found. Re-installing this application may fix the problem" - on startup

:( well, I can tell its the debug version... but I'm missing the debug libraries :p

edit: did you check that your assert statements weren't ++'ing some counter? :o

Nov 27, 2007 at 3:05 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Ack! Well then I'll have to static link the library so you don't need the dll... That makes the exe HUGE though. ~2MB. I need to find out what the problem is with the release version.
And I don't use assert statements. I've traced the problem to somewhere in the string length assembly file but that doesn't make any sense as the string I'm sending isn't corrupt when being sent to the function.
Would you people prefer the ~2MB file with [Save and Test] working or the ~200k file without it working? (I just uploaded the ~2MB file)

Nov 28, 2007 at 1:31 AM
taifunbrowser

:heh: biggest problem is just that I replaced the old one that worked except for the save and test with this one that doesn't load at all

but... atm I'm not modding heavily, so I'm patient XD

Nov 28, 2007 at 5:00 AM
My bad. I just placed the old Release version in the zip file for download. So Save and Test won't work but it should load again.

Nov 28, 2007 at 6:15 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Can there be a "Convert BMP to PBM" or "Import BMP" feature so that no-one needs to open a hex editor.

Nov 28, 2007 at 12:39 PM
Hoxtilicious
andwhyisit said:
Can there be a "Convert BMP to PBM" or "Import BMP" feature so that no-one needs to open a hex editor.

Pbm = Bmp

I don't get why you people still think its different >_<

Nov 28, 2007 at 1:50 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
S. P. Gardebiter said:

Pbm = Bmp

I don't get why you people still think its different >_<
I'm not stupid, I know that .pbm's are .bmp's in disguise, but not everyone understands or knows about adding (c)Pixel at the end with a hex editor, so this will help.

The most useful application of such a feature would be adding the (c)Pixel to the end of multiple files at once (and rename the copies to .pbm of course :o)

Nov 28, 2007 at 2:00 PM
Hoxtilicious
andwhyisit said:
I'm not stupid

I never said you're stupid x.x

andwhyisit said:
The most useful application of this would add the (c)Pixel to the end of multiple files at once (and rename the copies to .pbm of course :o)

Actually the most useful application would be, to let the editor completly delete the use for (C)Pixel and have a "Hacking Option" for the exe which changes starting health, extension of the image files e.t.c.

Nov 28, 2007 at 2:24 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Actually the most useful application would be, to let the editor completly delete the use for (C)Pixel and have a "Hacking Option" for the exe which changes starting health, extension of the image files e.t.c.

I prefer to have the option of either since I would like to keep the (C)Pixel, call me weird if you want.

What about a way to change the contents of a chest, or create custom items?

*andwhyisit leaves a messy trail of suggestions*

Nov 28, 2007 at 5:24 PM
Hoxtilicious
andwhyisit said:
I prefer to have the option of either since I would like to keep the (C)Pixel, call me weird if you want.

That would give Pixel for example the copyright or say that pixel made for your edited images, resulting in copyright faking :x

Nov 28, 2007 at 10:30 PM
taifunbrowser
My bad. I just placed the old Release version in the zip file for download. So Save and Test won't work but it should load again.

thanks!

btw, the program should get what the current string is from the exe and append that at the end of every pbm it saves <_< that solves everyone's problem.