Cave Story X Mega Man v0.1.0.1

Jun 15, 2014 at 6:45 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Well, it's about time that I release this. It has been in the works since around the end of metalsonic71's concept thread, which is honestly way too long considering there isn't a whole lot of content to show for it (quality over quantity I guess???). Currently, there are only two stages available for play. Fortunately, these stages have been decked out with different music, bosses, and weapons. Of course, everything available right now is subject to change, so don't hold back with any feedback. As a matter of fact, I'd appreciate if some of you could record blind runs / streams, which would assist me in designing future levels and redesigning current levels. Just a thought!

This demo will take roughly twenty minutes to complete maybe.

Cave Story X Mega Man v0.1.0.1 (Dropbox)
Cave Story X Mega Man v0.1.0.1 (Mediafire)

Screenshots:
p185239-0-amqiqnr.png

p185239-1-mw7u6uy.png
Things to come:
-Giving E-Tanks a counter similar to that of the life counter (not needed now since there is only one in the current build).
-Song changes.
-Major art edits to the title screen.
-Major weapon edits.
-Changing more sound effects and revamping changed sounds.
-Ironing out effects of special weapons on bosses.
-New boss designs(?).
-Intro Stage and a story(?).
-Maybe a charge shot when I learn ASM but let's not go crazy (using the Spur as a base?).
Previous version:
Change log:
v0.1.0.1
-Removed extra health in each stage.
-Fire Whirrrs are not bouncy anymore.
-'Underground' boss's lightning attack damage reduced to eight.
-Lowered the volume of the buster shot and slightly modified the sound.
-Gave an indication that the Exit Utility took effect.
-Gave a confirmation to use an E-Tank.
-E-Tank now disappears in the stage when you already have it (only in the specific instance of if you have already beaten the stage with the E-Tank, closed the game, and replayed the stage). Also made it disappear if you used it and died afterwards (assuming it's already saved in your inventory).
-Fixed an odd graphical error concerning the 'Lost Facility' boss that may or may not have been in the previous version (due to me messing with the other things above).
-Made the initial speed for Shock Sphere much faster for extra usefulness!
-Fixed camera position inconsistencies (wow that was tedious).
-Gave a warning when entering a new stage if you have a checkpoint still active (and added more sparkles to the ground).
-Added "CHECKPOINT REACHED!" to all checkpoints.
-Very minor map touch-ups.
-Buffed both bosses health.
-readme is now actually 'readme.txt' : p
The goal for the next demo is finishing up the main stages (the last two teleporters).

I credit them in the readme, but I'd still like to thank Bombchu Link and Randolf for the huge amount of help. The ASM edits present were possible thanks to those two!

Jun 15, 2014 at 6:55 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
I could do a blind run of this game, it prolly won't be a stream, but I can try something and upload it later. :)

but I'd still like to thank Bombchu Link and Randolf for the huge amount of help. The ASM edits present were possible thanks to those two!
You are very welcome. :D

E: I finished it and AHHHHHH my voice was waaaaay to quiet! D:

It was really good though, I'll upload the video here soon if I can.

Jun 15, 2014 at 7:02 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
YES. Trying it out right now! :D
Edit, after completion:
I am seriously in love with this mod right now.
I am just mostly left speechless on how amazing it is, but I'll try to give feedback.
Anyways, everything was great in presentation, I really like how you even made Rock's HP 28, like in the actual game.
The arrow barrage attack was really cool. It is the best machine-gun edit I have ever seen. The level design was fun,
but could have used a bit more challenge. Just a teeny bit more, not too much. The bosses were cool, giving them different sprites later on may be a hassle.
Overall rating: 9/10. :)

Jun 15, 2014 at 7:45 PM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Congratulations, my fine friend!
You have deemed yourself worthy of this fine achievement.
Aar's Favorite Mod Award
(I'm not even joking, this mod is fantastic. Keep up the great work!)

Jun 15, 2014 at 8:44 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
BLink said:
I could do a blind run of this game, it prolly won't be a stream, but I can try something and upload it later. :)

You are very welcome. :D

E: I finished it and AHHHHHH my voice was waaaaay to quiet! D:
It was really good though, I'll upload the video here soon if I can.
Awesome, can't wait to see it!

Pyroaid said:
YES. Trying it out right now! :D
Edit, after completion:
I am seriously in love with this mod right now.
I am just mostly left speechless on how amazing it is, but I'll try to give feedback.
Anyways, everything was great in presentation, I really like how you even made Rock's HP 28, like in the actual game.
The arrow barrage attack was really cool. It is the best machine-gun edit I have ever seen. The level design was fun,
but could have used a bit more challenge. Just a teeny bit more, not too much. The bosses were cool, giving them different sprites later on may be a hassle.
Overall rating: 9/10. :)
This makes me feel awesome, I really appreciate it! I actually toned down the challenge of the game in the final few weeks of testing, but this is because I wanted to make sure as many people as possible could play it and still enjoy it. My friends who tested it have little knowledge with both Cave Story and Mega Man, and they didn't get too terribly far in it. : p
Fortress stages will definitely be a notch up in difficulty when they come around, though.

Aar said:
Congratulations, my fine friend!
You have deemed yourself worthy of this fine achievement.
diph.php

(I'm not even joking, this mod is fantastic. Keep up the great work!)
Thanks a bunch, man!

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:28 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
after playing so many shitty mega man fan games, I was starting to lose hope... but now my faith is now restored to its max thanks to you and your wonderful mod!

Jun 16, 2014 at 7:35 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Just played through the demo and my, am I loving it so far. I've played Mega Man games (and Mega Man-esque ones), and this comes pretty darn close to them.
I got to admit that I died once over the course of the two stages... Got caught off guard by
a thunderbolt fired by the Underground boss.

I noticed a few things that could be changed while playing:
-In the Lost Facility stage, I ended up
killing the two Presses that let you access the demo's sole E-Tank before scrolling the screen enough to see said tank.
Being the crafty person that I am, I used Cave Story's knockback physics to get boosted up to its ledge with the help of one of the shockwave enemies (I haven't seen CS's credits in a while, so their name slips my mind). You may want to either somehow get the knockback to push you less vertically upwards (this would take quite a bit of modding knowledge, I think) or edit that part of the map to make the player unable to do that.
-In the Underground stage, I was on the part where you're crossing a spike pit atop a moving block with a bunch of enemies firing through it at you. I ended up jumping into a Whirl's fire wheel thing, getting both damaged and blessed with invincibility frames. Well, as soon as I landed, I jumped again to hop over the Whirl, but I ended up touching it whilst flashing. The thing is, I bounced backwards instead of going through it or simply stopping as though I hit a block (which nearly made me fall off). I personally have never made physical contact with a Whirl before in CS, so I don't know if this is SUPPOSED to happen, but do you think it'd be possible to try to lessen/negate that bouncing? (that is, unless you want to keep it as one of the CS elements of the cross).

Since I have yet to play around with the modding tools, I don't know how possible some of the changes would be, but hey, feedback.

Jun 16, 2014 at 7:54 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
SeasonsOfDestiny said:
Just played through the demo and my, am I loving it so far. I've played Mega Man games (and Mega Man-esque ones), and this comes pretty darn close to them.
Thanks, that means a lot!

SeasonsOfDestiny said:
I got to admit that I died once over the course of the two stages... Got caught off guard by
a thunderbolt fired by the Underground boss.
I was considering nerfing the damage done by the thunderbolt, but once you see it the first time it becomes a very predictable attack. Still, that's no excuse for how much damage it does. I might bring it down to eight or something like I did with the standard spikes.

SeasonsOfDestiny said:
I noticed a few things that could be changed while playing:
-In the Lost Facility stage, I ended up
killing the two Presses that let you access the demo's sole E-Tank before scrolling the screen enough to see said tank.
Being the crafty person that I am, I used Cave Story's knockback physics to get boosted up to its ledge with the help of one of the shockwave enemies (I haven't seen CS's credits in a while, so their name slips my mind). You may want to either somehow get the knockback to push you less vertically upwards (this would take quite a bit of modding knowledge, I think) or edit that part of the map to make the player unable to do that.
For the presses, that was the intention! I wanted to lure the player into killing them before they notice the E-Tank so they couldn't get it. I find that E-Tanks in official Mega Man games are normally very easy to get, but I wanted to pose a bigger challenge and risk in getting them here. And as for the knockback trick, that was something I noticed while testing. I could always do a slight re-design of that section to make it impossible to reach the E-Tank that way, but it seems like a nice way to reward the player for being clever (even if they destroyed the presses, like you mentioned). There's a similar scenario with the extra life in the same section. You can kill the press, but still manage to get the extra life by jumping on the very edge of the spike platform next to it.
SeasonsOfDestiny said:
-In the Underground stage, I was on the part where you're crossing a spike pit atop a moving block with a bunch of enemies firing through it at you. I ended up jumping into a Whirl's fire wheel thing, getting both damaged and blessed with invincibility frames. Well, as soon as I landed, I jumped again to hop over the Whirl, but I ended up touching it whilst flashing. The thing is, I bounced backwards instead of going through it or simply stopping as though I hit a block (which nearly made me fall off). I personally have never made physical contact with a Whirl before in CS, so I don't know if this is SUPPOSED to happen, but do you think it'd be possible to try to lessen/negate that bouncing? (that is, unless you want to keep it as one of the CS elements of the cross).
That is standard Cave Story stuff, as I don't think I changed anything about the Whirl's properties other than damage-related things. However, I do see that as being an annoyance, so I'll look into it.

Jun 16, 2014 at 8:07 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
I was considering nerfing the damage done by the thunderbolt, but once you see it the first time it becomes a very predictable attack. Still, that's no excuse for how much damage it does. I might bring it down to eight or something like I did with the standard spikes.
Huh, I was expecting the spikes to be instant death (no matter the size), akin to how Mega Man spikes work. I guess that fear was unfounded, though I recommend that you look into doing that, depending on how evil the jumps will get later, to add a bit more similarity and/or challenge.

For the presses, that was the intention! I wanted to lure the player into killing them before they notice the E-Tank so they couldn't get it. I find that E-Tanks in official Mega Man games are normally very easy to get, but I wanted to pose a bigger challenge and risk in getting them here. And as for the knockback trick, that was something I noticed while testing. I could always do a slight re-design of that section to make it impossible to reach the E-Tank that way, but it seems like a nice way to reward the player for being clever (even if they destroyed the presses, like you mentioned). There's a similar scenario with the extra life in the same section. You can kill the press, but still manage to get the extra life by jumping on the very edge of the spike platform next to it.

Also I think I ended up skipping over that extra life in the later part of the Lost Facility due to me thinking spikes were instadeath. Hopping onto the edge of spike-covered blocks is bad enough (DoR 2 I'm looking at you), but from that far away?

Jun 16, 2014 at 8:27 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
SeasonsOfDestiny said:
Huh, I was expecting the spikes to be instant death (no matter the size), akin to how Mega Man spikes work. I guess that fear was unfounded, though I recommend that you look into doing that, depending on how evil the jumps will get later, to add a bit more similarity and/or challenge.
It was something I was considering for a while, but looking at the amount of spikes in the game already, it would just seem cruel to make any size spikes a one-hit kill. I'm going to keep it the way it is unless I can find more things to convince me it's a necessary change.

SeasonsOfDestiny said:
Also I think I ended up skipping over that extra life in the later part of the Lost Facility due to me thinking spikes were instadeath. Hopping onto the edge of spike-covered blocks is bad enough (DoR 2 I'm looking at you), but from that far away?
You're supposed to use the Press in-between the blocks with spikes on them to get the life once the Press falls.

Oh, also, I changed Fire Whirrs so that they aren't solid anymore. No bouncing anymore, but I hope it's not too jarring of a change for people who are used to it. The change will take effect when a new version is released.

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:06 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
It was something I was considering for a while, but looking at the amount of spikes in the game already, it would just seem cruel to make any size spikes a one-hit kill. I'm going to keep it the way it is unless I can find more things to convince me it's a necessary change.
Yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing as I was typing that. I mean, I didn't personally touch any spikes (except for one occasion, but I was already flashing from getting hit), but I can only imagine how bad the later stages would get.

You're supposed to use the Press in-between the blocks with spikes on them to get the life once the Press falls.
I figured that out approximately 5 seconds after killing it, and then kicked myself for not seeing that coming. I just mentioned it 'cause of how risky of a jump it became without the Press and me thinking that the spikes were instadeath.

Jun 17, 2014 at 5:03 PM
2dbro
my god
This is.. the greatest mod... I've ever played..

Jun 18, 2014 at 1:56 PM
"Huzzah!"
I loved it as soon as I started playing.
This is easily one of the best mods I've ever played!

Thank you for making my dreams come true!!!

Jun 18, 2014 at 4:47 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
I decided to play the demo again today and found a bug as a result:

On the Lost Facility stage I ended up dying to a Press trying to get a certain optional item, but instead of continuing at the checkpoint that I passed a few screens ago I started back at the main hub.

Furthermore, I was failing at the boss in the same stage (I still gotta get used to how high he jumps now), and ended up dying. Again, instead of continuing in the boss corridor I started back at the hub (understandably, that was a wee bit frustrating)

Jun 18, 2014 at 4:58 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
SeasonsOfDestiny said:
I decided to play the demo again today and found a bug as a result:

On the Lost Facility stage I ended up dying to a Press trying to get a certain optional item, but instead of continuing at the checkpoint that I passed a few screens ago I started back at the main hub.

Furthermore, I was failing at the boss in the same stage (I still gotta get used to how high he jumps now), and ended up dying. Again, instead of continuing in the boss corridor I started back at the hub (understandably, that was a wee bit frustrating)
You have to interact with the sparkly object on the floor to continue after you die. I wish I could make it more obvious or do it another way, but that's all I have for now. I'll try to figure something out.

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:05 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
Tpcool said:
You have to interact with the sparkly object on the floor to continue after you die. I wish I could make it more obvious or do it another way, but that's all I have for now. I'll try to figure something out.
-foreheadslap-

Whoops, I TOTALLY forgot that that was a thing.

I guess that's what I get for having past experience and as such not interacting with the everything. The funny thing, though, is I actually made use of that the first time I played this.

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:34 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
I really liked this mod, it was fun and good and I liked it. The music was great, great remixes of some of my favorite Mega Man songs. It really felt very much like a Mega Man game, it had almost the same style of progression, you fight all the enemies on one screen and finish all the challenges and then you go on to the next area. It was pretty difficult though, but it was reasonably difficult. Overall, this game gets my official "BETTER THAN MEGA MAN II" stamp of approval, as well as my "BETTER THAN MEGA MAN GAME GEAR" stamp of approval. Good luck on finishing this!

Jun 19, 2014 at 4:56 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Here is the video I promised

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6HQoBWl3jw

I'm very, very sorry my audio is totally drowned out,

I practiced the recording/audio with DoR2 to make sure that it was working beforehand, but I forgot there there's no music in that game. :(