Cave Story Remix Project 2

Oct 16, 2009 at 5:54 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
ZT, these forums aren't nearly as fucked up as you seem so convinced that they are. And do you really think you're the only one here who has "an advanced ear for music"?? And did you should probably actually listen to some of the remixes and read some of the posts before you just barge in and say "MiraiGamer sucks and it can't do anything right and you need me to come in and save the day with my superior intelligence" especially since you've been gone from the forums for like ever. Have a little more humility than that for Christ's sake.

@rtnario: I wholeheartedly vote option 2. And we don't need any professional help, we are perfectly capable of doing this ourselves. The idea of a judge isn't bad, however do we really want someone like ZT who just comes in with this egotistical crap about how we can't handle ourselves? I personally think the system we had going was fine where everyone involved is basically a judge.

Oct 16, 2009 at 6:33 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Well, I don't know him (and lots of other people :rolleyes:) so I'm trying to keep this as neutral as possible. If he won't be the judge and we keep the old system, that still doesn't solve the quality standard problem we could possibly have if things go on this way. That or we remove the said standard, in which case this will become a compilation of remixes by everyone which is what it currently is right now :D

There's one person's reply that I'm waiting for though since he started this whole thing...and because he did it is ultimately up to him to go for option 1 or 2. If he wants to make this 100% serious and go with option 1, he'll have to go through what I mentioned in that long post I made. In the case where he doesn't, option 2's always there where we can start anew, make a new thread and have everyone decide on what happens in the new compilation album. I'm fine with both; all I'm waiting for is a reply. :D

Oct 16, 2009 at 8:05 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
rtnario said:

Balrog's theme. Short, sweet, yet always lovable.

0:00
Starting out 8-bit is never a horrible idea, and certainly it sounds very well done as a recreation of the original 8-bit theme. While different in terms of used instruments, it's still a great replica of the original theme.

0:11
Cymbals start to kick in as the beginning of a transition to something new, which is perfectly fine. However...

0:12
It's a tad cliche to force everything into full power-metal, especially after these four cymbal clicks. It's been done time and time again. Not that this is horribly executed; it's just predictable. The Power metal is well done still, and it can very well mark the beginning of a strong piece of music. (Although I somehow see Balrog as more of a Polka sort of character than power-metal.)

The vocalists are a good addition, but it seems like they should have been saved for much later in the song, perhaps during the closing reiteration of this part of the theme.

0:25
This is something that I feared, however; returning to 8-bit. Especially this early in the piece, it doesn't really fit, and just leaves debates open as to why you would reduce the given power back to a previous level. It's alright to lower things at a point in the song, but reducing it to the exact same point and theme really does nothing to progress the song.

And from here on, it's just a repeat from 0:00 for a single loop, and then the song ends. There really isn't any great transitions between the power-metal and 8-bit segments, and it is VERY noticeable that the same portions of the original song were set up the same way in both the first and second half.

The theme is far too short, and there really isn't any progression in what has been put together. Try to experiment more, and make it much, much longer. As a remix, I would suggest the baseline length to be 3 minutes. And, as a remix (Not a rearrangement), you are entitled to throw in your own transitions. Since Balrog's theme as it is is quite short, I should highly suggest you put in a lot of your own melodies into the remix, without pulling away from the original theme. Very hard to do with this piece, but it will result in something much more rewarding and creative.

rtnario said:
LEAF X MD - Cave Story War (Last Battle Remix)
-miraigamer
-Official blog entry
-Newgrounds Audio Stream

Ah, Never Di-- I mean, Final Battle. An epic theme to be sure, and a remix of it need be the same.

0:00
Clappers are an interesting introduction into this metal-heavy remix. Maybe these should be replaced with something more relative to the rest of the remix, such as some drums.

Actually, the opening theme ends up coming on a little strong, in my opinion. Perhaps a bit more should be put into opening the song than merely jumping head first into the theme with the full onslaught of power-metal.

0:01
I could swear I've heard this opening bit before in another rearrangement somewhere on Newgrounds. It might have been you, actually.

Certainly the 'spinning'-feeling rift on the guitar can fit the song, but in relation to what I said in 0:00, it feels like something should come before it, and build up to it first.

0:10
The 'screech' following the guitar solo certainly works very well to close it, and transist to the beginning of the theme.

0:11
Generally from here on I like everything you've done. The different emphasis between background and foreground all work very well, and the piano roll later on at around 1:30 works very well when it comes in.

Over all this is a great reiteration of the original theme. It does feel like there's room for something before it, however. Perhaps some acoustic guitar to introduce the song, or the theme "Run!" before it would fit into place.

Oct 16, 2009 at 8:34 PM
JetHawk95 said:

Personally I wouldn't mind hearing this with a female singer, or someone who can... well, sing. It seems as though you forced it far too much for its own good, and it comes out as a bit of a mess. That or you just plain can't sing. Probably the latter.

wedge of cheese said:

Opening to the theme has a very emotional feel to the piano, hence the seemingly off-beat notes, here and there.

The song transited well into the pipe-chime sort of instruments, and is a very melodic piece the way it was, feeling calm and gentle, as the theme intends.

The instrument introduced at 1:03 feels like a much lower quality than the instruments used thus far, however, but it begins to blend in momentarily, and fit with the rest of the theme.

Certainly some nice pieces of the theme are going on in the background, and it works very well over all.

Then disaster struck at 1:31, and I was forced to pause the music. I'm sorry, but the electric guitar synth is both of very low, buzzy quality, and it just plain doesn't fit the theme, both in this, and how it was introduced. It sounds sort of like a cross between electric guitar and a high-pitched trumpet. I would suggest changing it to a much softer trumpet, if that were the case, as it seems to be used a lot in the theme, after I skimmed through it.

Unfortunately, I refuse to listen to the whole theme after 1:30 until this is fixed; perhaps replaced with a gentle brass instrument, or a violin.

wedge of cheese said:

An interesting ambient rendition of Final Battle. Oddly, it works, and does feel right starting out.

The horn/flute type of instrument does seem a little loud, however, and the saw you used feels a little too strong.

At about 1:01, everything seemed to mix together into a dissonant mess for a few seconds; but it was VERY noticeable. lowering the volume of one (or both) of the instruments should fix this.

Afterward, the dissonance still seems to linger between the harmonics and the saw. It fixes itself after the saw silences into the background, but the harmonic still feels a tad loud in comparison.

Finally at 2:02 it calmed down correctly into how the theme should probably feel overall, should you fix it as such.

Then suddenly... Accordion? Again, this isn't horrible for the Final Battle theme, but it doesn't seem like it fits with the rest of the song as you made it. Or perhaps it was introduced oddly, is all. The theme speeding up along with the accordion doesn't seem to fit, and feels forced.

After the earlier instruments reintroduce themselves, the theme begins to 'stabilize' and sound great overall after 2:35. The drums introduced at about 3:00 were a nice touch, and the silencing at 3:17 worked very well.

I'd have to say, aside from the problems I mentioned, I dare say I love what you've done with the theme. The remix is both peaceful and energetic as it progresses beyond 2:35, and a very great remix of the "Final Battle" Theme.

However, I'd do something different with the ending. Rather than ending in an instrumental "Burst", I think this theme should fade out on a single instrument. Perhaps the harmonic/flute.

Oct 16, 2009 at 8:35 PM
graters gonna grate
rtnario said:
Well, I don't know him (and lots of other people :rolleyes:) so I'm trying to keep this as neutral as possible. If he won't be the judge and we keep the old system, that still doesn't solve the quality standard problem we could possibly have if things go on this way. That or we remove the said standard, in which case this will become a compilation of remixes by everyone which is what it currently is right now :D

There's one person's reply that I'm waiting for though since he started this whole thing...and because he did it is ultimately up to him to go for option 1 or 2. If he wants to make this 100% serious and go with option 1, he'll have to go through what I mentioned in that long post I made. In the case where he doesn't, option 2's always there where we can start anew, make a new thread and have everyone decide on what happens in the new compilation album. I'm fine with both; all I'm waiting for is a reply. :D

I don't quite understand why it would be necessary to start over/create a new thread if we did option 2. For a quality control type thing, I would suggest getting at least one remix (not necessarily a really good one) for each song and then weeding out the ones we feel are not good enough quality.

Another random thought which would kinda solve two problems at once: we don't necessarily have to have each remix correspond to one and only one song. Instead, we could combine some of the really short songs like Life Capsule and Victory which would make it easier to accomplish the goal of at least one remix for each song and it would also solve the problem of those really short songs having short and rather boring remixes (kinda like what ZT said about your Balrog's Theme remix).

I assume that person's reply you're waiting for is JetHawk's? If so, I agree, let's see what he has to say.

@ZT: Well, despite what I said earlier those were fairly thoughtful reviews although I still say the process of judging should be a group effort and we shouldn't make any hasty decisions about the organization of this project without JetHawk's input.

Oct 16, 2009 at 9:03 PM
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Whoohooo I made a remix! (about time, took FOREVER I'll tell ya.) Now I can have a part in this project too.

Anyways It's a remix of Geothermal, not very long but I don't think it needed to be any longer anyways.

Here's the link: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?hzwmmnjjmn5

Comments are appreciated :D.

The synth used for the main theme in the beginning seems a little sharp, and should perhaps be replaced with something a tad softer. The vocals in the background are very well placed.

The next bit of the song feels a little strong after following the well-fitting, soft vocals, however. The theme itself is great; just a tad loud in comparison.

When the horn-sounding instrument kicked it, it was again, very sharp-feeling, as was the opening synth. The second horn behind it shares the same problem, and both should be made softer, to fit in with the background better.

The flute at 2:19 works VERY well with this song, however it seems to cut itself off quite quickly after it's final notes in each bar. Additionally, it seems to be off-key a few times. And again, it feels a tad sharp.

The piano at 2:50 works especially well with the theme here, in closing it.

rtnario said:
Sooo...is anyone ready for some really loud symphonic/epic video game metal? :D

Because this URL totally isn't a finished version of LEAF XCEED Music Division - Core Oppression :rolleyes:

The orchestral opening is executed very well, here. I especially like the cymbal flares.

The introduction to the main theme / power-metal was very well executed here, at 0:39.

It does feel a little plain with just straight guitar for a while, however the repeating at 1:45 is certainly something I was hoping for.

Then you introduced your own portion to the remix, and it blew me away. This is what makes a remix a "remix", people. Something new, something original, without at all ruining the original theme. Fitting into it, and working with it.

And you closed the piece perfectly.

wedge of cheese said:
Um, hang on a sec I need to go change my pants...

Oct 16, 2009 at 9:18 PM
rtnario said:
About OCRemix...I think there's a clear reason why the original project stood on its own and didn't completely ask OCRemix for help. OCRemix's standards are very f**king high.

I think OCR has become very lenient since then. Quite a few poor quality songs have been slipping through the cracks.

Anyhow, I Made note of this project here, on Nicalis Blog's forum. Maybe a few people from over there will support and contribute as well.

Oct 16, 2009 at 11:43 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
ZarroTsu said:
This is what makes a remix a "remix", people. Something new, something original, without at all ruining the original theme. Fitting into it, and working with it.

False: wiki and http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/remix.

As the following sources say, a remix is simply taking the song and presenting it in a different way. You don't have to fit in an original melody or chord structure at all, it is not required. Sure it can make a remix better when done correctly, but it does not have to be there to qualify the song as a remix. Those are your standards, not the standards that have to be met to make a remix a "remix".

I'm probably being a bit harsh though, since you said "remix" which really leaves what you were saying quite open-ended. Still, I don't think a remix requires new melodies or such, since I've seen far too many a remix ruined by what I would deem unsucessful integration of their own melodies and the original notes.

Oct 17, 2009 at 11:44 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Right every1. Has anyone got anything to aske me then because until ZarrTsu cam along this project was going great. We could change the name of the project

1. Cave Story - The Album
2. Cave Story - Reborn
3. The Final Story
4. Remix Story

OR any other suggestions

Oct 18, 2009 at 12:12 AM
graters gonna grate
Of the ones you mentioned, I'd say Cave Story - Reborn is the best, the others don't seem very creative/catchy.

Oct 18, 2009 at 12:13 AM
@ jet
although ztaimat can be a bit short temered and idiotic, he gave pretty thoughtful feedback.
don't be so quick to spite him.

and i don't like any of the new names, and can't think of any right now.
sorry.
:/

@cheese
you... you, ninja
yeah, reborn would probably be the best from those, but isn't inherently musicky.
maybe you can say that the album was made by the outliers.
hardy har.

Oct 18, 2009 at 12:23 AM
graters gonna grate
Eh? Evidently I am a ninja... :p

How 'bout this for a title: Harmonies of Mimiga Island

And "The Outliers" sounds like it would be an awesome band name, just sayin'...

Oct 18, 2009 at 12:34 AM
graters gonna grate
Well, there actually is a book called "Outliers" although it's not by that author. I've read part of it and it's quite interesting. It's basically a sociological book about what makes people extremely exceptionally successful.

As for title, how about "Doukutsu Do Re Mi" or is that too cutesy?

Oct 18, 2009 at 12:36 AM
too cutesy.
next thing i know, you'll be adding a little fang to it.

anyways, se hinton was a reference to the outsiders, a book about gangsta preps.

we could call the project "Cast Reproo" for lack of inspiration.

or "Awzsebhumko: Melodies From a Realllysortaweirdfloatything"

Oct 18, 2009 at 12:52 AM
graters gonna grate
Oh, wait no here it is:

Doukutsu Monogatari - Echoes in the Cave

(or maybe just Echoes in the Cave)

Oct 18, 2009 at 12:54 AM
or...
ECHOES IN THE AWZSEBHUMKO!

more seriously, I'd go with echoes in the dark.
are you guys going to try to "unify" the sound of all these peices or levae them differentiated?

Oct 18, 2009 at 1:00 AM
graters gonna grate
Well, mine will probably be somewhat unified at least, although Idk about JetHawk's, GIRaka's, rtnario's, KuroKun's, or those of whoever else joins.

Oct 18, 2009 at 1:35 AM
I wish I could help you guys, but I'm ever so slightly tone-deaf, and can never get what I hear in my finds tongue down on paper.

Oct 20, 2009 at 5:55 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Ok i am sorry ive not been around much
i am absoloutely terribeley ill.
Bad hedaches
Bad stomach
Runs
Trouble breathing
and other stuff

But im still here have no fear
Well echoes in the cave is a good title for the project
but it feels like a sub tutle
example

cave story echoes in the cave

only reason im saying that is that on a webpage just echoes in the cave wouldnt look good as a title (Sounds good, doesnt look good)

well i will keep lookiing
when i can drag myself out of bed

Oct 20, 2009 at 9:49 PM
graters gonna grate
I agree that "Echoes In the Cave" sounds more like a subtitle, although "Cave Story - Echoes In the Cave" feels like you say "Cave" too many times. How about this: "Cave Story - Echoes In the Caverns"

And I hope you feel better soon :/