Cave Story - Redesign v0.50.6

May 21, 2011 at 6:13 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Re: Cave Story - Redesign

X-Calibar said:
the block that you have to walk with is especially awful.

Actually I've fixed that in the next version - which is getting closer and closer to being released. The block passes it's momentum to Quote, so you needn't "walk with it".

cultr1 said:
So those blocks indicate something, awesome.
In that case you should keep it the way it is. Maybe, on that one single block in midair, put one to either side of the secret entrance, giving them a little more of a hint.

Actually blocks are used in several different patterns. Basically, if something looks 'different', that means something is there or it does something. This is also true once you get further into the game and places that "feel" like there "should" be something there, sometimes actually are. If you've played metroid before, you could call this your 'metroid sense'. Although, I can't really do it quite right because of how the player can stretch the camera by looking in a direction while not moving. I really need some way to setup camera borders, or something.

=============================================
Version 0.3.0.0 has been released! Took down old link. Enjoy!
=============================================

If you're too lazy to check the first page, you can grab it here.

If you find any bugs or things that concern you, let me know.

Also, while you should be able to continue from your profile.dat of the previous version, I do not recommend doing so as some flags may have changed and you may experience problems as a result.

May 21, 2011 at 6:32 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"

gonna try and complete this today. I'll make note of any bugs

May 21, 2011 at 6:52 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."

Well, I've never played this mod before but now I'm giving it a go.

The good stuff:
-Many of the maps are really large and impressive. In many mods big maps are unwieldy and start to have design flaws, but yours are really well put together.
-The massive-ness of the first cave and its non-linearity is fun and interesting.
-It took me a while to realize the smoke on top of the town assembly hall was supposed to be a chimney.
-The TSC-driven animations are pretty cool. Especially when you trigger something that lengthens the chains of a few hanging blocks.
-Graphics are nice and fit in well with the original graphics.
-So far I've gotten to Mimiga village Egg Corridor only. I assume I've only seen a very small percentage of the mod's content.
EDIT:
-I love the graphics for the missile-refill station. Also, missiles with gravity? Awesome, a mod that follows physics. Nice ASM work.
-Different blocks need different weapons, Underside & Metroid style. Nice.
-Missile supply blocks! Cool. I forgot all the amazing things you could do without assembly.

So yeah, let me edit this post later since I haven't gotten the chance to play most of it.

Problems:
-Why is there some clipped off Japanese text in the title screen?
-The crushable block next to the save point door in the Mimiga village doesn't go away permanently after you destroy it. Maybe set a flag to keep it from coming back?
EDIT: I went to the reservoir, did nothing, came out, and saw Toroko. I saved, went to the reservoir again, got the pendant, and came out. I saw the Toroko cutscene again! Not supposed to happen.

May 22, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Carrotlord said:
-Why is there some clipped off Japanese text in the title screen?
-The crushable block next to the save point door in the Mimiga village doesn't go away permanently after you destroy it. Maybe set a flag to keep it from coming back?
EDIT: I went to the reservoir, did nothing, came out, and saw Toroko. I saved, went to the reservoir again, got the pendant, and came out. I saw the Toroko cutscene again! Not supposed to happen.

Bah! You wouldn't believe how much trouble I've had with toroko's cutscene in the reservoir. It's all because there are three or four different ways to 'leave' the reservoir and trigger (or not trigger) her cutscene. There's several different flags associated with what you do inside the reservoir, and they get used later in dialogue and (eventually) the ultimate fate of toroko. Just seeing her again before confronting balrog shouldn't hurt anything though. Also, none of the crumbling blocks have flags associated with them. They are TSC driven so they -could- have flags setup, but that would be semi-ludicrous to do since areas that do have crumble blocks tend to have a lot of crumble blocks, and the 'map rendering' TSC at the tops of some scripts can really only handle so many divergences. Also, I wasn't aware that japanese text on the title screen was clipped off, since (I think) it's there in the original.

Carrotlord said:
-Many of the maps are really large and impressive. In many mods big maps are unwieldy and start to have design flaws, but yours are really well put together.

Thank you. ^ ^ I plan to make a career for myself with my ability to design games.

May 22, 2011 at 2:32 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."

Dubby said:
Also, I wasn't aware that japanese text on the title screen was clipped off, since (I think) it's there in the original.

Hmm. Well, I opened up Doukutsu as well as a couple of mods, and they don't seem to have this issue. Maybe just go to the title screen spritesheet and erase away all the unused text.

May 22, 2011 at 10:03 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"

I can't get past the Egg Corridor D:
I checked ALL of the eggs 3 TIMES.

May 22, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Quote the Robot said:
I can't get past the Egg Corridor D:
I checked ALL of the eggs 3 TIMES.

Once you have the key card, go back to the Egg Observation Room. There is a cracked block on the right-hand wall on the top floor. Shoot that with a missile and it will reveal a hidden room. The key card itself can be found inside Egg #6, however you will need the Missile Launcher (also found in the Egg Observation Room) in order to reach the egg. The left-hand pipe surrounding Egg #6 has two purple blocks on the lower side with missile icons on them. Shoot those blocks with a missile and they will break.

May 22, 2011 at 10:33 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"

Awesome thanks!
I can't believe I didn't figure that out before.
O.o
Igor is fast...

May 23, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Igor is just as easy as he was before, but his attack pattern is less predictable by default. You can avoid his attacks and damage him without taking any damage yourself, you just have to learn his attack pattern first.

Also, if you step on Sue she'll squeak, and Igor will start spewing those glowing balls at you. Good luck!

May 23, 2011 at 1:46 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."

Still love the mod. It has a Metroid kinda feel to it. The only thing I've noticed that bugs me is when you shoot Toroko in the shack she doesn't make that little squeak, and I keep dieing in Sant's House Because when you step on the blocks in mid air they make your momentum stop, and I usually press the opposite direction every time I make a precise jump. Other than that this version in much better and feels alot less like it's under development.

May 23, 2011 at 6:11 AM

god damn it this thing is fucking huge :s
some things I've noticed so far:
- kanpachi still talks about grasstown after that arc is finished
- kings cutscenes are messed up (moves past door, sword still there)
- you still "feel a tingling sensation" after you defeat the mimiga
- one door says "it's locked", but opens anyways
- flame blocks are harder to hit with this new fireball, at least the first one is
- you can glitch the fireball if you fire it enough to fire two at once
- from "the weed" (low enterance), the fans appear to be off, even if they're on
- fire blocks don't activate unless they're on the screen (intentional?, it's not a big deal)
- fireball sometimes can glitch through walls.
- flame trails can sometimes go through walls as well
- king's fung shui sucks
also some review stuff
- auto gun is very neat
- long missiles are great
- fireball upgrade likewise is fantastic, and although it bugs me how it can't be fired rapidly, it's just a difference in gameplay and I guess I'll just have to get used to it; don't change it
- the sand zone rocky area is such a maze I feel like I only explored a small part of it by the time I got to the end
- the catacombs are also pretty huge but I think I got everything there
- I like how the story progresses now, it feels very natural, as though it was an alternate continuity of the normal story
- there's so much content here holy shit

May 23, 2011 at 6:51 AM

Doesn't sound like you've gotten the sparkler yet. :greydroll:

Also most of those bugs I know about already, some are mentioned in the readme. :S But thank you for pointing everything out! Also, which door is locked but still opens?

Also, for those of you who want a serious challenge this time, try getting the Sparkler before the Fireball. It -is- possible, but it is also very, very tricky.

May 23, 2011 at 7:10 AM
A old relic from older days
"..."

Wait waaaiit when was the newest version released? How'd I miss that?

...oh wait, it was only released yesterday. Sweet, I'll check it out. Probably tomorrow.

May 24, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Is there a Map System in this game? o.e

May 24, 2011 at 1:02 AM

No, not yet. There is a map tool, though.

It's hidden in one of the houses in the Old Village. It will begin to glitter when you get close to it. The entrance is a bit hidden, unless you have the Sparkler - in which case you can just shoot yourself up to the building.

May 24, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Glitch:
I don't have a picture of it but,
While battling the bat swarm I got hurt and had 0 hp and still lived.
I was jumping around a but until I hit a bat then I died.

May 25, 2011 at 12:44 AM

I've yet to encounter that glitch, but thank you for letting me know about it.

May 25, 2011 at 12:57 AM

Also, isn't Balrog supposed to be easy? xD
I keep dying on the 3rd thingy.

May 25, 2011 at 1:07 PM

in retrospect yeah, I should have read the read me, since it would have made sense for you to know about a lot of that stuff
sorry!

anyway yeah the door is one of the ones in grasstown - it's not kentai's house or any of the other buildings that are part of the story but that one building that you never really get in to...
e: the one next to chacko's house (the high entrance), although I can't seem to replicate it the second time...

I know you want the sparkler to not reload when you jump up and look down but you can simply stop looking down then look back down which will make it reload. Yeah...

Also I've found two of the "notes to self" that you left in the game abusing that glitch.

May 25, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Actually the thing with the sparkler is not a glitch, it's a technique. The weapon's internal recharging timer changes the length of the timer depending on quote's frame of animation. It recharges faster on the ground than in the air, and it recharges faster still if he's not moving. You can stand still, and fire it relatively quickly for instance. Here's how the height measures out with the sparkler and what's 'easy' to accomplish, hard to accomplish, and very hard to accomplish:

• Sparkler, 1/1 ammo
    • Easy : 5 tiles high
    • Hard : 8 tiles high
    • Expert : 9 tiles high
  • Sparkler, 2/2 ammo
    • Easy : 7 tiles high
    • Hard : 11 tiles high
    • Expert : 12 tiles high
  • Sparkler, 3/3 ammo
    • Easy : 10 tiles high
    • Hard : 15 tiles high
    • Expert : 17 tiles high
  • Sparkler, 4/4 ammo
    • Easy : 12 tiles high
    • Hard : 16 tiles high
    • Expert : 20 tiles high
  • Sparkler, 5/5 ammo
    • Easy : 14 tiles high
    • Hard : 17 tiles high
    • Expert : 23 tiles high

'easy' means it can be done without needing to time the shots
'hard' means it requires timing the shots with tapping down and shoot simultaneously
'expert' means it requires timing the shots, tapping down and shoot simultaneously, and synchronizing all the button presses with the weapon's internal recharge timer so that they occur within 1-3~ frames after the recharge timer resets and restores 1 ammo. I know this because I built a large debug/testing room (you can't access it without adding an NPC to take you there) that has many various sites setup for testing various distances and techniques of the sparkler. Most players will not realize these techniques at first, that's the entire idea. A bit like how Metroid players will learn they can use the morphball bombs to hurdle samus upwards, but can also time the bombs to get additional height, and then time the bombs even more accurately to keep gaining height.

The sparkler cannot go past an ammo of 5, although currently there are only three ammo powerups you can find for the sparkler. There is one part of the sparkler which has not been added. The weapon's upward thrust is not supposed to work when the player is in deep water (1+ tile of water above Quote). This hasn't been coded in yet. The reason is the sparkler can be used to skip across water much like a rock can skip across water. Because of the difference in timing, this technique can be performed relatively easily without a limit in travel distance as it's slower than traveling upwards in air. The sparkler is also an intermediary 'jump-assist' weapon. There will be a booster eventually, and there will also be a 'jump upgrade' as well. The sparkler is relatively strong once you obtain it, however it is fairly weak compared to the high end weapons - none of which are in the game yet.

There is (possibly) a way to obtain the sparkler before the sand zone, but I haven't been able to get it yet.

Also, I think I know which door you're talking about.