Cave Story maps in PNG format and more

Mar 12, 2007 at 5:42 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I've only recently discovered Cave Story (I'm late, I know) and decided to do a dump of all the maps in the game because I liked the game enough to see the whole Cave Story world, and because it was easy to work out the file formats. Anyway, here's all the maps in PNG format (download is roughly 5MB).

http://homepage.mac.com/andy.herbert/.Public/CS/Cave%20Story%20Maps.zip

In addition, I discovered 2 additional maps, one of which is called "Cook" which I am assuming isn't actually used but was still included with the final release since I can find no reference to it in the main program.

Can anybody verify this (image immediately below)?

diph.php

The second one is very strange inasmuch as it is referenced by the executable, and the name of the map is used in the game (Main Artery), but it really isn't anything like the actual map (Main Artery appears in the game in the fish boss battle immediately after the Waterway section:

diph.php

Also, I've grouped the PNGs in to (roughly) the area they appear in, obviously this is quite difficult because some areas blend in to one another and by no means perfect.

Eventually what I plan to do with the images is produce a massive poster linking the maps together (as far as that is possible) and maybe adding features as they appear in the game.

Any advice/critism will be gratefully received.

Mar 12, 2007 at 5:57 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
People who have tried to make one huge map of the whole game before have noticed that some areas overlap unless they rotate the areas. I think there's a thread about it somewhere.

As for the main artery I have no idea why it looks like it does.

Mar 12, 2007 at 6:07 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:
As for the main artery I have no idea why it looks like it does.

Its build in, in game I think its just a joke of Pixel. It looks like Ikachan and it says "-> No Damage" if you open the Map system :eek:

Thought it was a joke of you but I looked in the Stage folder and you're right: Cook.pxm
But it ISN'T used ingame ;)

Mar 12, 2007 at 11:12 PM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
It's a hint that if you dont take any damage during that fight, ikachans come crawling out of the woodwork

Mar 13, 2007 at 1:05 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yep it's there, I've just noticed the image on the map is the same as the pixel art on the 'Alien Badge' you get for destroying the fish boss whilst taking no damage:

diph.php

It appears the play-area is constructed in between the vertical blocks on the map dump.

Mar 14, 2007 at 1:14 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Andy: In case you didn't know, Ikachan is the character of a game Pixel made before Cave Story, and is that squid.

Mar 14, 2007 at 8:59 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
lol i found that map when i was bored
and i was just looking through all
the maps with miza
(i use sues most of the time)
miza can scroll through maps easier

Mar 14, 2007 at 12:28 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well I started constructing the big map this morning and immediately ran in to problems with joining up the plantation, balcony, and hell. I doubt there's any other sensible way of joining up the maps without extensive use of labels and arrows which makes it all a bit too messy in my opinion.

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:50 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
AndyH said:
The second one is very strange inasmuch as it is referenced by the executable, and the name of the map is used in the game (Main Artery), but it really isn't anything like the actual map (Main Artery appears in the game in the fish boss battle immediately after the Waterway section:

[image removed]

Some people have already responded with similar information, but if you remove the <UNI0001 from the beginning of that map's TSC, you can wander around and move the view and such, and you'll see that that actually is the map you fight ironhead on. It uses a trick with a locked viewport and some objects that animate to make it look like the walls are scrolling by very fast.
Meanwhile, debris that moves left spawns while the bossfight, to make it seem like you're passing blocks (and also as an obstacle). But I assure you that the entire fight takes place on a single blank screen inbetween the two vertical walls on that map.

Sep 4, 2007 at 1:08 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Your maps are extremely useful, thankyou.

Sep 7, 2007 at 3:38 AM
"Huzzah!"
Hehe, odd... I never noticed the "Cook" map until now, hehe! Now that's pretty interesting. Makes you wonder what it might have been used for, eh?

@Andy: Hehe, pretty interesting stuff you've got there, I say! Now, while the original CS maps are very useful, I've got an even crazier bit of an idea. Did extracting these maps involve a long and complicated process, or did you make a program of some sort that does most of the work? Either way, would you mind at all sharing your method? I only ask because I was thinking about maybe making sort of a 'strategy guide' for my mod (upon its eventual, long-term release) and being able to export .png maps would prove handy like crazy. If not, no problem. I just felt like asking because I felt like it somehow. :D

Semi-Offtopic, but somewhat 'Cook' inspired:
Also interesting is if you'll look, there's a "Shelt.pxa" in the Stage data folder, but no PrtShelt.pbm. Presumably this tileset was once used for the Shelter map, and I think I have an idea where it went to. Notice how in the bottom left of PrtStore.pbm, there's a group of tiles that are shaded slightly different than the rest? (Most of the blue background tiles use only shades of blue and brown, and the 'extras' have sort of a grey-ish tint).

Only two maps use these tiles (Shelter and Execution Chamber), and they use *only* the tiles from the bottom left of PrtStore. I suspect these tiles once belonged in their own tileset, PrtShelt, but were later imported into PrtStore. Why Pixel decided to combine the two, I'm not sure, but it sure does come in handy while mapping. They match so well together!

Hmm... the more you know? ;P

Sep 24, 2007 at 12:22 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
The maps have vanished!!!! (broken link)

Sep 24, 2007 at 1:22 AM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Who keeps turning the image feature on and off? It gets annoying.

Sep 24, 2007 at 2:01 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Atravir said:
Who keeps turning the image feature on and off? It gets annoying.
It depends on the forum to whether or not tags are allowed, for example:
[QUOTE][URL=http://www.cavestory.org/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode]vB code[/URL] is [B]On[/B]
[URL=http://www.cavestory.org/forums/misc.php?do=showsmilies]Smilies[/URL] are [B]On[/B]
[URL=http://www.cavestory.org/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode#imgcode][IMG][/URL] code is [B]On[/B]
HTML code is [B]Off[/B][/QUOTE]
this is found right at the bottom, it's the posting rules for the forum you are currently in.