Cave Story HD Remake Concept

May 24, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Hello Guys.
I have just joined the Cave Story Tribute forms, and I was thinking.
Cave Story would look FABULOUS in HD.
It would be like Sonic 2 HD, but remaking Cave Story instead of Sonic 2 (And no cancellations :D)
So what do you think?
EDIT: Forgot to mention, It is not going to be the same as original with new graphics and sound, but maybe A mode for Curly's side of the Story, Extended Level layouts, New levels and New Music.

May 24, 2013 at 8:08 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Isn't that what CS+ is supposed to be?

May 24, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Forever 12
No, I don't mean 16-bit graphics. Smooth HD graphics, New and Extended Level designs, and brand new music exclusive to this remake is what i mean.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention extended story and New characters and weapons.

May 24, 2013 at 8:19 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Isn't that what CS3DS is supposed to be?

May 24, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Forever 12
Are you serious?
Its not going to be 3D graphics.
Its going to have NEW NEW NEW Content.
Heck ill even kick in multiplayer if it will make you stop questioning:
Isn't it supposed to be CS+
or
Isn't it supposed to be CS3D?

May 24, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Parkraft123 said:
No, I don't mean 16-bit graphics. Smooth HD graphics, New and Extended Level designs, and brand new music exclusive to this remake is what i mean.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention extended story and New characters and weapons.
Isn't that basically mods though. What you want is CS3DS only with mods.

May 24, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Forever 12
bobbyis said:
Isn't that basically mods though. What you want is CS3DS only with mods.
UHH. Have any of you even heard of Sonic 2 HD?
Might as well post a link to the project,
s2hd.com/‎
Its a remake of Sonic 2 HD.
If you look at the graphics and Pics, what I mean is HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS similar to the ones in the link.
More detail, Redone Music and, uhh, do I have to explain it again? NEW LEVELS, (Maybe Wind Fortress?) that are Incorporated into the story. Extended level layouts, stuff like then. Do you get what I am saying? stop comparing it to CS3D or CS+ or CSWII or CSDSI or CS3D2D (Couldn't find anything better for that one :p)

May 24, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
CS3DS had a pretty low resolution though, and from what I heard the 3d models weren't that great in it.

I'm pretty sure what this guys wants is not 2x resolution Cave Story, but 3 or 4x resolution Cave Story.

May 24, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Banned
What I'm saying though is that the whole new weapons, characters, story thing is something that isn't that difficult to achieve, just download a mod or two. Then there's the whole legal issue with updated graphics from 2x and upward.

May 24, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Forever 12
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
CS3DS had a pretty low resolution though, and from what I heard the 3d models weren't that great in it.

I'm pretty sure what this guys wants is not 2x resolution Cave Story, but 3 or 4x resolution Cave Story.
Finally, someone who understands me. See, this is what I mean, But I don't just care about Graphics or Music. I think Cave Story HD would work good. Still, if this version is ever made, The original will still beat it, but thats not my point (Cave story that Replaces the original)

bobbyis said:
What I'm saying though is that the whole new weapons, characters, story thing is something that isn't that difficult to achieve, just download a mod or two. Then there's the whole legal issue with updated graphics from 2x and upward.
I also forgot to mention:
WIDE-----SCREEN, A SCREEN BUT WIDE. YOU EVER HEAR OF IT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!!!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!1
Sorry, I am just a little overwhelmed.

Also, am honored to have a post on here from the maker of WTF Story, nice mod btw :)

Also, am honored to have a post on here from the maker of WTF Story, nice mod btw :)

May 24, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I hope you know C++ or C#, since that's probably what you're going to need to make something like this.

May 24, 2013 at 8:44 PM
Forever 12
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
I hope you know C++ or C#, since that's probably what you're going to need to make something like this.
Don't worry, I know someone, but don't count on the remake being made. I just was just posting this concept. Also, heres what I mean for the sprite style. (Not CS characters in this pic)

May 24, 2013 at 10:16 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
Actually, I'd like to see the characters rendered in good ol' hand-drawn 2-D animation, I'd swipe that up in a heartbeat.

May 24, 2013 at 10:41 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
why not a Cave Story 2 HD WII U?

May 24, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Forever 12
I am going to probally draw the sprites and do some 2d animation for the sprites. all graphics will be touched up on the computer.

May 25, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Let me just say this...

A giant project worked on by one guy and some other guy who might use his C/C++, and you expect to finish it without it canceling like your sonic HD did.

I'd be less surprised if pixel revealed a sequel ready for release by this month.

This. Won't. Work. (At least not how your describing it.)

May 25, 2013 at 1:20 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Parkraft123 said:
I am going to probally draw the sprites and do some 2d animation for the sprites. all graphics will be touched up on the computer.
Hand drawing sprites doesn't work and games that have done it have either used 2D Skeletons to animate separate pieces or have just stuck with having choppy poorly animated sprites; there is no possible way you would be able to get smooth animation and keep the characters proportions correct without days maybe even weeks of work, depending on your skill, per character. If you want it to look like Sonic 2 HD then you should be doing all art on a computer as vectors, because that is how S2HD's art is done.

I doubt this project would get finished, creating all the tilesets all the characters, all the enemies, all the face pictures etc... Cave Story has a fair amount of art (for one man who was also doing every other job) but that was fine because the sprites are extremely small, for one dude to be doing the same but having the sprites be much more detailed would be near impossible, even if you did do all the art on the computer.

The project just seems way to over ambitious, all of it just seems like it would boil down to too much time being spent on art and then you would get burnt out on drawing the exact same character 20+ times to get a smooth walking animation and then giving up. Even with a team and many years S2HD got cancelled after only finishing one zone!

May 25, 2013 at 2:18 AM
Forever 12
PixelVortex said:
Hand drawing sprites doesn't work and games that have done it have either used 2D Skeletons to animate separate pieces or have just stuck with having choppy poorly animated sprites; there is no possible way you would be able to get smooth animation and keep the characters proportions correct without days maybe even weeks of work, depending on your skill, per character. If you want it to look like Sonic 2 HD then you should be doing all art on a computer as vectors, because that is how S2HD's art is done.

I doubt this project would get finished, creating all the tilesets all the characters, all the enemies, all the face pictures etc... Cave Story has a fair amount of art (for one man who was also doing every other job) but that was fine because the sprites are extremely small, for one dude to be doing the same but having the sprites be much more detailed would be near impossible, even if you did do all the art on the computer.

The project just seems way to over ambitious, all of it just seems like it would boil down to too much time being spent on art and then you would get burnt out on drawing the exact same character 20+ times to get a smooth walking animation and then giving up. Even with a team and many years S2HD got cancelled after only finishing one zone!
Okay maybe I explained Hand Drawn sprites and graphics. I am going to probably draw the sprites, then scan them. Than use them as a baseline, then heavilly modifiy them. Also, the reason Sonic 2 HD was cancelled, l0st screwed the team over by causing a bunch of lousy problems (Virus concerns due to faulty programing, DMR that shouldn't be there, Focusing on unimprotant things. You get the point) and if you don't think hand drawn sprites will work, I have the choice of a tablet or pixel by pixel, but were talking about HD. And also, who said this was going to take off? Just a concept, thought it would be neat, but I have some concept art to share. And if it takes off, many many years will be spendt in development, possibly longer than the original development of Cave story 1. And sorry for being a noob, I just thought it would be neat to share with the community. Also, i can use computers if you truly want (no tablet), keep in mind I have little experince with using the computer. I like the skeleton idea

EnlightenedOne said:
Let me just say this...

A giant project worked on by one guy and some other guy who might use his C/C++, and you expect to finish it without it canceling like your sonic HD did.

I'd be less surprised if pixel revealed a sequel ready for release by this month.

This. Won't. Work. (At least not how your describing it.)
Not 1 Guy.
I came to you guys, the Cave story fourms Community for your thoughts on this idea, and if it takes off your help.
I know a friend who has a understanding of C++ and Unity, and I have you guys.
If this project takes off, I will probably come to you guys for help and opinions.
IM SORRY PLEASE DON'T HURT ME IM SORRY PLEASE DON'T HURT ME JUST PLEASE SPARE ME

The reason I mentioned hand drawing was cause, well, I may need help making Sonic 2 HD style Character sprites for Cave Story NPCs (and quote :D) and maybe if I want this project to get started, I have more important things (Engine, for starters, but the engine will probably be based on a currently existing Engine, not necessarily a cave story related engine, Not the original engine or NXengine. Im sorry.

Is anyone on board, dosen't anyone have anything postitive, I am a young Energetic 13 Year-old, fresh with ideas
also, the reason I bought 2D animation for the sprites was SOMEONE here suggested it. I am also a little disapointed now, feeling sad. I am sorry for wasting your time, or I am probablly making you laugh cause of how stupid I am, I am very sad right now. I am sorry CS Fourms.

May 25, 2013 at 2:30 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I skimmed through this, and if you ask me, it's not worth it. It's what Noxid said. If you want better graphics, look at Cs+. If you want smooth fps, look at CS3DS. In all honesty, I haven't played any major sonic game, so I don't know anything about the Sonic 2 HD release, or what it's status is. (I've gathered that it was cancelled though) I think you'd be better off just having Cs+ than trying to make something completely new when it was basically already done.
Also, about the energetic with idea thing... you'll quickly get sucked in a portal of the reality of this forum and see that you lose those idea's very quickly. (This is coming from first hand experience, so don't ask for a lot of help.)

I skimmed through this, and if you ask me, it's not worth it. It's what Noxid said. If you want better graphics, look at Cs+. If you want smooth fps, look at CS3DS. In all honesty, I haven't played any major sonic game, so I don't know anything about the Sonic 2 HD release, or what it's status is. (I've gathered that it was cancelled though) I think you'd be better off just having Cs+ than trying to make something completely new when it was basically already done.
Also, about the energetic with idea thing... you'll quickly get sucked in a portal of the reality of this forum and see that you lose those idea's very quickly. (This is coming from first hand experience, so don't ask for a lot of help.)

*EDIT* Anyone know what causes posts to duplicate themselves, but not double post? First time this happened to me.