The age old debate - Is CS based on Earth?

Jun 5, 2008 at 7:31 AM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
lol yeah, that's supposed to be the topique of debate.

And since I'm the topique-starter I gotta put some ass-ache in it, so I'll post the previous discussions, all of which were off-topic in other threads, except maybe for the movie script one.

Here's the discussion in the Movie Script thread: http://www.cavestory.org/forums/posts/13425/ [Thanks andwhyisit :p]
The Chaco thread:http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/662/
And finally the Gamod thread:http://www.cavestory.org/forums/posts/35948/

Jun 5, 2008 at 8:06 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
freezit4(Miza haircolour thread) said:
Earth also means dirt, or soil.... so it could be any planet, no?
Kaeso(Chaco Thread) said:
Earth has 2 meanings, the planet we live on, and dirt.
Heck, 2nded before posting my opinion.

Btw, Whaddaya mean by
Roonil Wazlib(Miza) said:
"countries on the earth" is self explanatory.
Does it mean that no planets other than our earth should have inhabitants? And have culture?

Whatever gave you the idea that it's on our Earth, in the first place?

Jun 5, 2008 at 8:12 AM
Respwnt
freezit4 said:
Does it mean that no planets other than our earth should have inhabitants? And have culture?

Whatever gave you the idea that it's on our Earth, in the first place?
No, I meant "Countries on the soil" sounds very stupid to put as a line.

And read the Chaco linque. Fully till the argument ends. You'll know I don not stand for the definition of CS being on Earth. Rather I stand for the possibility of it being on Earth. But Jake gave us some solid evidence, unless it's the translation that's at fault.

Jun 5, 2008 at 8:19 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
That's why the term 'earth' is used. As you say, "countries on the soil" sounds dumb, but not necessarily wrong('cause you didn't say so :p). So to make it sound better without altering its meaning, 'earth', is used. And (with regards to Jake)
JacobX891 said:
diph.php

There you go.
There itself is apparent- 'earth', not 'Earth'. No caps dude... it's no particular planet. Not necessarily our Earth.

Jun 5, 2008 at 8:22 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Andwhy not we view the original text- in Japanese- the original term used? It might describe this further.... 'though we need someone to be able to understand it

Jun 5, 2008 at 8:28 AM
Respwnt
freezit4 said:
That's why the term 'earth' is used. As you say, "countries on the soil" sounds dumb, but not necessarily wrong('cause you didn't say so :p). So to make it sound better without altering its meaning, 'earth', is used. And (with regards to Jake)

There itself is apparent- 'earth', not 'Earth'. No caps dude... it's no particular planet. Not necessarily our Earth.
1. The interpretation of 'earth' as 'soil' is what makes it look dumb, really :p

2. Ok, that is a valid point, but still doesn't prove anything unless we can get hold of someone who knows Japanese. Also note the artical preceeding the word =p

Either way, I still think there is a good chance it is our Earth if you fit in my theory there. Also, if I ever sit down to write a fanfic, I'll assume that it's totally up to me whether I make it based on Earth or not, and the player can exercise his imagination similarly because the idea is neither impossible nor ridiculous.

Jun 5, 2008 at 8:50 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
'the' as it refers to 'earth' where 'the Doctor's assault' occurs.

If it says 'Were the countries of an earth able to withstand the Doctor's assault?', it would sound like the Doctor is attacking any earth. So we have to use 'the' to show that it is that earth is the one that island belongs to initially, not to say it is the Earth we all live in.

Jun 5, 2008 at 9:19 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Roonil Wazlib said:
..because the idea is neither impossible...
Hmm.. true.

Roonil Wazlib said:
nor ridiculous.
AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA line break HAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHA line break HAHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAH!!!!!

Jun 5, 2008 at 9:30 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Roonil Wazlib said:
Also, if I ever sit down to write a fanfic, I'll assume that it's totally up to me whether I make it based on Earth or not, and the player can exercise his imagination similarly because the idea is neither impossible nor ridiculous.
Wait. Why the hell'd you open this thread again?

Jun 5, 2008 at 11:20 AM
Respwnt
freezit4 said:
Wait. Why the hell'd you open this thread again?
To promote debate >.>

That was my point from the start anyway, but this thread is because the debates were huge and off-topic. And also, others may add their views here because I've basically exausted all my points of argument.

Jun 5, 2008 at 1:38 PM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Or to be exact, to add up more to our postcount... I even double-posted 'cause I know its YOUR thread.

Jun 5, 2008 at 2:09 PM
/end
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
It is based on a "earth", but not our earth.

Jun 5, 2008 at 3:09 PM
Respwnt
@ freezit

>_> Whatever. The thing was we always spammed other topics with this stuff, so I put this in as a new thread. I doubt you even read the linques. :/

@MetaSeraphim

That theory sure is a possibility, as in pseudo-Earth and stuff, but from my perspective it's rather lame an interpretation, and prolly just as ridiculous to me as my theory is to andwhy >.<

Jun 5, 2008 at 3:40 PM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
I read the links D:

Why're you saying saying it's not our earth is lame, instead of saying saying it is our earth is?

Jun 5, 2008 at 4:55 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Just out of curiosity, have any of you seen the movie Laputa? All the similarities hit me halfways through my first play-through of the game. If I'm not mistaken, laputa was based on earth - just in an alternative universe.

Jun 5, 2008 at 5:20 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
*one-handed typing ouch!*
From the way you phrased the topic "Is CS based on Earth?" the answer is obvious!
Assuming Pixel has sight, sound, smell, and has lived on Earth, CS is undoubtably influnced from our Earth. So, yes CS is based on our Earth without any doubts.

However, is CS supposed to *take place* on this earth? No... I don't think CS is supposed to be our Earth, rather some fantasy Earth-like world aka, "Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away..."

Jun 5, 2008 at 5:40 PM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
No, that planet (I forgot what the name is, only remembered Death Star) does not really look like Earth, does it?

In the game, even the island itself is odd enough, with people living in the ground instead of outside. Probably the atmosphere outside is not suitable for inhibiting(correct this spelling/term if it's wrong)? And the island should represent the planet itself, right?

Edit: Wait, that Laputa thing seems familiar... >:/

Jun 5, 2008 at 6:05 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
Ummmm....

CS is on a floating island, so it could be anywhere.
Mebbe it's on the moon!

Jun 5, 2008 at 6:14 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
I cast my vote in favor of Earth in some sort of alternate reality. An alternate Earth. There have been plenty in fiction.

Jun 5, 2008 at 6:18 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
@JACOBX THIS ALL CAPS CRAP IS GAY! IMHO. HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA DIE
No, that planet (I forgot what the name is, only remembered Death Star) does not really look like Earth, does it?
What are you trying to say... what does that have to do with :
However, is CS supposed to *take place* on this earth? No... I don't think CS is supposed to be our Earth, rather some fantasy Earth-like world aka, "Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away..."

In the game, even the island itself is odd enough, with people living in the ground instead of outside. Probably the atmosphere outside is not suitable for inhibiting(correct this spelling/term if it's wrong)? And the island should represent the planet itself, right?
Well, one reason the Mimiga might not live on the surface much, is because the little "10 years ago war" probably forced them into hiding, since during that time anyone living on the surface would have been a sitting duck to the killer robots...

The island is just an island, and not the entire planet... Even if Japan was a floating island in the sky; it definitely does not cover the wonders or the enviroments of elsewhere in our world...

"The atmosphere outside is probably not suitable for habitation." [sounds more ordinary to me]