The relationship between Quote and Curly

Feb 29, 2008 at 6:34 PM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I know there's already been quite a lot of discussion on this subject, but no real conclusion could be drawn and I'd like all the opinions in one single thread.

So, what kind of relationship do Quote and Curly share - are they siblings or are do they love each other.

IMO

Arguments for Quote X Curly:

#Curly is the only other Quote-type robot. If not her, who else? (I mean long term, not one-night stands)

#Curly sacrifices her life for Quote. Quote returns the favour by risking his life in saving her.

#The "you and I..." dialogue I mentioned somewhere before.

#Quote steals her undies. What kind of a brother does that?

Arguments against Quote X Curly

#The first female you hear of is Sue. The immediate assumption is that the main character falls for her.

#Chaco and [edit]ing. Quote will be risking being a divorcee if Curly finds out.

#Curly looks WAY older than Quote in Pixel's art.

Feb 29, 2008 at 7:10 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Roonil Wazlib said:

The type who's LOST HIS MEMORY, AND DOESN'T KNOW WHO HE IS.

>__________>

Feb 29, 2008 at 8:01 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
In my opinion, Quote and Curly are an inseperable pair.
The only time you can actually try to begin to figure out their relationship is after Curly regains her memories. Up until that point, Q and C are strangers... And even when Curly regains her memories what about Quote?
Maybe the scenes going into hell, are Quote remembering fragments of things he learnt once... [About Ballos, about Jenka, about Misery...] But does he remember Curly?
"I'm fine, thank you.
Don't worry about me.

Oh, here.
Take this with you..."
-Got the OIron BondO!

Iron Bond - Your tie to Curly Brace, the only warrior you would trust your back to. Surely you will meet again one day...
The only other dialogue you get to hear that relates to Q and C from Curly would be her statement about "Now that our mission is over, I want to live out the rest of my days somewhere where I can relax and enjoy a beautiful view. Let's the three of us live together!"

As funny as the Little man's special dialogue is "... Aren't you forgetting something?" I find it a little ominous.

Curly's attitude in most of her dialogue comes off as pretty carefree, I think. However giving Quote the Iron Bond, and perhaps... Back then in the Core room when she sacrificed herself for Quote... Remember that is the point where Quote or someone remembers their first memory about Jenka... and Ballos.
What if Curly remembered something about Quote then. Maybe a familar scene, I mean Curly just stands there as the room floods, you can't even talk to her. Then the narration memory? thing happens, and then you find out what happened to Curly.
"Ooohh...
You're alive!

Oh, I'm so glad...

I didn't think we were going to make it.
Once you fell unconscious, I couldn't think of any other way...
Looks like my air tanks worked just like I'd hoped.
Ah..."
Whether she remembers what Quote means to her at that point, can be anyone's guess. But, at least you can get an idea of her personality, from the things that have happened so far.
The Mimigas she raised are a good measure of her personality as well...
Bringing that up raises a major question though, as what happened to them?
Did Curly try to confront Misery once more about those kids? And is that how she ended transported to Hell? EDIT: Maybe this doesn't seem likely on second thought, but it still doesn't explain how she ends up there.
Well who knows about that at the moment...

So bottomline...
In my opinion, Quote and Curly are an inseperable pair.
How does Curly feel towards Quote? She wants to stick with Quote, and live out her days peacefully. That sounds like love to me.
What about Quote the mystery? Assuming he didn't recover all of his memories yet, maybe Curly wants to take him somewhere he can be at peace.
If you do follow the best ending path, Quote saves Curly with the hook thing, goes to great lengths to save her at the Waterway Cabin, and even finds her that Mushroom which he does not eat, to help Curly. Just a really nice robot?

I wonder... what kind of painful memories Quote may have lived through? To be a pair of robots? without equal, they must have done exceptional things in their time.

As for
"Curly looks WAY older than Quote in Pixel's art."
I don't see that :D
"Chaco and [edit]ing. Quote will be risking being a divorcee if Curly finds out."
There is no real evidence to say anything happened ;)
The truth is, it's more of a thing related to the panty thing.
I mean I don't live in Japan, but there's quite a few PC games, that have that little bit of ecchi? element thrown in. And Cave Story is a game that has references to so many games. ... there are quite a few suggestive quotes here and there, I am only guessing that Pixel had something similar in the original text, and it wasn't just the translation.
From what I hear, a lot of games use that little ecchi? edge to help grab more players, and I think it spreads. I'd be willing to think that those things in Cave Story are tributes to that kind of thing.

"The first female you hear of is Sue. The immediate assumption is that the main character falls for her."
I wouldn't exactly phrase it like that.. lol But, yeah Sue, is the character Pixel catches you with from the beginning. In a way Cave Story is about the Sakamoto's, especially Sue. It's like there are three stories happening at once. Sakamoto's story, Curly and Quote's story, and the Mimigas Story; and they all kind of intertwine. [Jenka, Misery, Ballos and Balrog I was kind of including in Q and C's story but perhaps they really should be seperate...]

But, there must be some significance to Sue's importance in the game. I'd still like to believe that Sue's missing father was part of the War 10 years ago. If something happened to him then...

And on another unrelated note, everyone in Cave Story assumes Quote and Curly are soldiers from the Surface; does anybody really know what they really are? I guess the only information we have is that "We were sent to destroy the Crown" as opposed to all the other robots...

Feb 29, 2008 at 8:02 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
I've always felt that, being robots, Quote and Curly were sister-models, or maybe a heavy and light version of the same blue bots you see on the island.

My theory has been that in the fight between the Doctor's predisessor and Curly and Quote, Quote had been knocked out and Curly, seeing that she could not use her current weapon (my guess would be the Polar Star) to defeat him, so she took the MG (what I would guess would be Quotes original weapon) and when all psycho-rambo, finally killing what's-his-name.

Or perhaps they are designed to be spys, infiltrating the humans around the crown bearer, to get close.

Either way, I'd say that Curly was a contribution from the Norwegian people (based on physical appearance) and Quote was of a more American design. Perhaps they were a joint international project assembled in opposite hemispheres, then brought together.
Personally, I'd say Quote is the light of the two, basing on his starting health of 3. but, being the lighter, he was also designed to be expandable.
Curly would be the heavy of the two, seeing as her starting health (Curly fight) is around ~150, but she is only ever seen with three weapons: MG, Polar Star and Nemmy.
I'd conclude that Quote was the scout and Curly was the shock troop.
Their relationship?
Sort of like conjoined twins born on opposite sides of the world.

Feb 29, 2008 at 11:43 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Mr. Little was talking about how you forgot to drop him off at his house. :p

I still think that Quote and Curly were more efficiently made and by a different creator than the soldier robots.

Mar 1, 2008 at 2:55 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Roonil Wazlib said:
So, what kind of relationship do Quote and Curly share - are they siblings or are do they love each other.
Siblings have a tendency to love each other, you know. :p Not in the same way, though.

Roonil Wazlib said:
Arguments for Quote X Curly:
#Curly is the only other Quote-type robot. If not her, who else? (I mean long term, not one-night stands)
#Curly sacrifices her life for Quote. Quote returns the favour by risking his life in saving her.
#The "you and I..." dialogue I mentioned somewhere before.
To me, none of these are proof of romantic love. If they are siblings, surely they would still risk their lives for each other? The "you and I" bit is too vague to be conclusive. The underwear is a very small detail, and it's not even easy to find. And regarding the first point – if they are both the same model then they are probably better considered siblings. If they were designed to complement each other, then

Roonil Wazlib said:
Arguments against Quote X Curly
#The first female you hear of is Sue. The immediate assumption is that the main character falls for her.
#Chaco and [edit]ing. Quote will be risking being a divorcee if Curly finds out.
#Curly looks WAY older than Quote in Pixel's art.
The argument against the underwear seems to also apply to Chaco. I don't think Curly looks older than Quote in any of the art. And the first point? I'd say that one is the most valid of all your points for either side, but it's still pretty weak just because it is an assumption.

My conclusion is that it is inconclusive. You could argue either way and support your arguments with evidence, but as far as I can see there is insufficient evidence to say one conclusion is right and the other is wrong. Which is kind of nice if you're doing mods, because you can choose the view you like and promote it. :p

My opinion? It's a close call, but at the moment I'd say they're siblings.

DragonBoots said:
My theory has been that in the fight between the Doctor's predisessor and Curly and Quote, Quote had been knocked out and Curly, seeing that she could not use her current weapon (my guess would be the Polar Star) to defeat him, so she took the MG (what I would guess would be Quotes original weapon) and when all psycho-rambo, finally killing what's-his-name.
Curly could not have had the Polar Star initially because you get it from the hermit gunsmith at the beginning of the game. On the other hand, she does recognize the Polar Star on sight, so maybe it's a fairly common model of gun in the CS world.

Mar 1, 2008 at 4:33 AM
Respwnt
I agree with the inconclusiveness, but we can have a few more guys to drop their views in :p.

But the thing is that I thought Pixel deliberately added the underwear to get the players speculating about this. This is a contradiction though, since that applies for Chaco's well. I think X Calibar had the best explanation for the undies thing. However, even obscure humour knows to differentiate between sibling love and lovers' love. It still isn't very conclusive.

Sue's father? I think I read a fanfic where that was the guy who created Q and C. Or was it Atravir who suggested that?

Mar 1, 2008 at 6:40 AM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Quote And Curly = <3

The End.

Mar 1, 2008 at 9:15 AM
Justin-chan
A BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER. Or incest.

Mar 1, 2008 at 9:26 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
'~' Not pleasing thoughts

Mar 1, 2008 at 10:18 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Quote and Curly were most likely made by the same creator. I think that by the end of it curly still thought of quote as a brother of sorts, but quote's situation was different since he never regained his memories, which makes the panties situation seem very wrong since he is obviously has developed a secret crush for his own sister without realising it.

Mar 1, 2008 at 10:26 AM
Luls
What made you guys think that they were siblings...?

Mar 1, 2008 at 11:08 AM
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Firstly I think they were the product of a government funded military program. They were "the next best thing". But Quote I beleive, is a prototype, he is less durable then Curly, jumps half as high, and has the personality of a corpse. Curly has an inbuilt missile protection, and has an air tank. And to answer metalogz question, I think they are siblings because they were build by the same person/corporation. That makes them siblings in my eyes.

Mar 1, 2008 at 11:13 AM
Luls
Dotz.

They were *made* for each other...

Get it? :p

Mar 1, 2008 at 12:05 PM
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
I already said in another topic where you asked the exact question, She just recovered from amnesia. All these memories are rushing back to her head, its going to cause her to talk wierdly for a few seconds.

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:43 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Roonil Wazlib said:
Explain the "you and I..." dialogue, then. Take into account Curly's expressions and also the fact that she quickly changes the subject.
".....
Quote!!
I remember now. Your name's Quote!
You and I...
Right...
Back then, a huge number of robots were sent to this island
from countries on the Earth's surface..."
The impression I got from this was... yeah, her memories are all coming back... the first thing she immediately remembers is your name, Quote.
She begins to say that you and I ... [I believe she was about to say about how you two were sent here or something along those lines]
Then she gets everything in order... remembers about the whole situation. Which she implies with Right... [as in remembering]

I never thought of it as You and I...
Right...
*shifts uncomfortably*
Still, I can't blame you... giving her the mushroom to eat uh... sets a uh different kind of mood.

Mar 1, 2008 at 10:13 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
Celtic Minstrel said:
Curly could not have had the Polar Star initially because you get it from the hermit gunsmith at the beginning of the game. On the other hand, she does recognize the Polar Star on sight, so maybe it's a fairly common model of gun in the CS world.
If you can get back the the Gunsmith before you go through the Waterway (required teh MG), he's gone and there is a sign saying "Out".
Perhaps, on one of his outings, he found the Polar Star next to a comatose Quote, and dragged quote into storage, and started work on the Polar Star/Spur conversion.
This could've happened in the 10 year period...

Mar 1, 2008 at 11:05 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
I suppose. It doesn't seem likely though. (And what's MG?)