Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Cave Story was before that I guess.

Feb 29, 2008 at 2:45 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
JacobX891 said:
no, i think this came out first. i'm inclined to think perhaps just maybe this movie inspired the setting of pixel's game? it was originally released in japan... connection?
ALL anime are released in Japan first.

I have actually seen that movie. :confused:

Feb 29, 2008 at 3:27 AM
Hoxtilicious
Release date(s):
Japan: August 2, 1986
United States: April 1, 1989

Oh fu- Didn't knew this was so old, sorry.

Feb 29, 2008 at 5:45 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
>_< Ewwwww

Feb 29, 2008 at 5:47 AM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Alot of Japanese cartoon-movies have a floating island or some other airbound thing i've noticed.

Feb 29, 2008 at 5:53 AM
Roonil Wazlib said:
Say ANIME!

And the gurl looks real hawt :confused:.

NEVER

Seriously I consider anime and that type of movie different.. anime is like DBZ and Pokemon and that (I dont really like that kind of show) But those Japanese cartoon-movies are freaking masterpieces.

Feb 29, 2008 at 7:37 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Release date(s):
Japan: August 2, 1986
United States: April 1, 1989

Oh fu- Didn't knew this was so old, sorry.
Wow, it didn't look that old.

Feb 29, 2008 at 7:56 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
WarriorX said:
>_< Ewwwww

Huh? I didn't notice anything offensive...

Kaeso said:
But those Japanese cartoon-movies are freaking masterpieces.

Absolutely true. I've only seen My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away so far. Hopefully I'll get an opportunity to watch Castle in the Sky sometime soon.

Feb 29, 2008 at 9:02 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Kaeso said:
NEVER

Seriously I consider anime and that type of movie different.. anime is like DBZ and Pokemon and that (I dont really like that kind of show) But those Japanese cartoon-movies are freaking masterpieces.
Wikipedia said:
Anime is an abbreviation of the English word "animation", originating in Japan through the roots of Manga. Although the term is used in Japan to refer to animation in general, in English usage the term most popularly refers to material originating from Japan, a subset of animation.
The Japanese disagree with you. Saying "anime-movie" can help differentiate between an actual movie and a series, but it's still anime. And there are more series anime than just DBZ and Pokémon. Both of those series are made for kids, in fact (not, like, really young kids, but, yeah). Try looking into some more mature anime. Something rated at least 13+. One of my personal favorites is Witch Hunter Robin. Going more adult, you've got something like Hellsing (that's really bloody and stuff, though).

...though I guess it's still your decision in the end. Just presenting my case.

Feb 29, 2008 at 9:41 AM
I know that and i've seen the more mature anime but I still didn't like it much. I said I call them different names to make it easier for me, but I know technically they are the same thing.

The difference for me between Anime and Japanese cartoon-movies is the latter draws you into the story more. I just don't get the from anime. Theres nothing wrong with it, its just not my cup of tea.

Feb 29, 2008 at 10:33 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Bad Beholder said:
Huh? I didn't notice anything offensive...

Absolutely true. I've only seen My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away so far. Hopefully I'll get an opportunity to watch Castle in the Sky sometime soon.
I absolutely loved Spirited Away.

Kaeso said:
I know that and i've seen the more mature anime but I still didn't like it much. I said I call them different names to make it easier for me, but I know technically they are the same thing.

The difference for me between Anime and Japanese cartoon-movies is the latter draws you into the story more. I just don't get the from anime. Theres nothing wrong with it, its just not my cup of tea.
It is better to them as anime movies and anime series or the like since anyone who hears "Japanese cartoon-movies" from you will think you have no idea and will lecture you about how they are both anime like what happened here. Do you name our Series' and Movies as "TV Series" and "English live-action-Movies"? All you need to differentiate the two are the words "Series" and "Movie".

..I went too far then didn't I. :D

Feb 29, 2008 at 11:37 AM
That isnt true at all.. I was forced to watch the Pokemon movie ages ago and I didnt feel any different from the series, but when I watched Spirited Away (Thats not the best example I can come up with I just cant remember the names right now) It drew me into the story. Theres an obvious difference between the two.

Anyway to sum it up,

Anime = repetitive story, lame plots, cheesy morals at the end.

Japanese cartoon-movies = Characters that are easy to relate to, Story that draws you in, Leaves you thinking about the movie for the whole of that week.

(IMO)

Feb 29, 2008 at 12:11 PM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Kaeso said:
Anyway to sum it up,

Japanese cartoon-movies = Characters that are easy to relate to, Story that draws you in, Leaves you thinking about the movie for the whole of that week.

(IMO)
Pokemon and DBZ are Americanised anime. Americanised stuff normally cut adult material, even if it's just mildly foul lingo. If you really want a good Americanised anime, try Fullmetal Alchemist. For some reason, most people hear of only the dumbest Anime.

Anime stories are generally not repetitive, but I'm not surprised to hear that from you since you've only watched the kids ones like Poke or DBZ or Cardcaptors (all Americanised).

Feb 29, 2008 at 1:14 PM
I've seen Trigun (that was just plain wierd) And Cowboy bepop, I liked the movie of cowboy bebop but i cant get into the series.

Thats all the anime ive seen. Well Pokemon and DBZ was my first impression of anime so ...that may explain why i think like that.

Still I think the japanese cartoon-movies and anime should be catogorized differently.

Feb 29, 2008 at 2:15 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Kaeso said:
That isnt true at all.. I was forced to watch the Pokemon movie ages ago and I didnt feel any different from the series, but when I watched Spirited Away (Thats not the best example I can come up with I just cant remember the names right now) It drew me into the story. Theres an obvious difference between the two.

Anyway to sum it up,

(IMO)
The "Japanese cartoon-movies" description is not just limited to Movies, and I don't like the term "cartoon" being applied to anime.

And for the love of all that is good in the world do not compare all anime to the that annoyingly stupid pokemon anime which seems to be the only thing that your "anime" description fits. Watch some REAL anime for a change like Full Metal Panic, Orphen, or Trigun.

EDIT: Whoops, those two posts snuck up on me. :D
Kaeso said:
Still I think the japanese cartoon-movies and anime should be catogorized differently.
Then name them "Anime Movie" and "Anime Series". It's not hard.

Feb 29, 2008 at 3:01 PM
name them "Anime Movie" and "Anime Series". It's not hard.

Not gonna happen.

Feb 29, 2008 at 3:43 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
JacobX891 said:
p32531-0-castleintheskylarge.jpg

:D I've found Cave Story!
harharhar
on a side note, i've noticed all the character text icons have background colors corrosponding to their role in the story. all the protagonists (and would-be-protagonists [i.e. misery) have cool colors bar sue, while antagonists have warm.

HOLY SHT THAT SHOW ROCKS.

But then I hate the english dubbed version. they sound like retards in english lol. JAPAPNESE FTW!