The <BOA thread

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:44 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Apparently there wasn't a guide for using the BOA code in scripts, so I decided to try my best to make a guide for this.
It is by no means complete, however.

The TSC command BOA works on room bosses (Omega, Balfrog, Heavy Press, Core, Undead Core, Ironhead, Dragon Sisters, Monster X and Ballos), and works similar to ANP. IIRC there can only be one room boss in a map.

It's rather verbose, though.
Also, while some of the known values were found within the script, some others were found through guesswork.
Code:
0000: resets position and fully invulnerable
0001: appears to have him slide in the direction he was moving? Also makes him impossible
      to harm, which makes it harder to test how much HP he might have
0010: sits there with mouth open; fully invulnerable; contact deals damage
0020: sits there with mouth open; fully invulnerable; contact deals damage; flashing
0100: starts boss-fight patterns; constantly generates frogs falling from the ceiling
0130: defeat animations; Balrog automatically seems to leave the area, which deletes him
(Note: if you use 0010 or 0020 after 0130 {maybe 0100?} then Balfrog seems to fall down
and through tiles. If you use 0100 then Balfrog seems to try to jump but fail at it)
Code:
0000: makes him vanish?
0001: freezes frame; it seems that if he uses that falling skull attack that it will continuously
      be used
0100: makes a crosshair at the player's location. Ballos then falls there, then opens eyes and
      grins like an idiot
0200: Starts boss fight animations
0220: Ballos closes eyes again and lands
0300: Ballos is surrounded by those weird eye minion things, these remain if other BOAs are used
      and they even STACK
0311: Ballos moves clockwise; starts boss fight animations of third phase, like the above, those
      minions remain if BOA'd to something else
      This one gets interesting - it looks like that if none of those eye minion things are
      there, and this is used, he instead goes to his fourth phase with the spikes and the
      moving platforms and the Butes.
      Thereafter, using 0300 and then 0311, he will move clockwise around the room with those
      eye-things and those platforms. Alternatively, using 0200 after 0300 will make Ballos
      jump around.
1000: Ballos' death animation; this removes all those spikes
Code:
0000: resets the Core entirely (even if made invisible)
0001: freezes frames (as does 0015 and 0020)
0200: starts boss fight animations
0500: lots of smoke, it moves to a specific point in the map (~ X:0062 Y:0011 at a guess)
0600: teleports it away and makes it invisible (so you'd essentially have an invisible core
      with visible mini-cores if you use BOA0200 next)
Code:
0000: not sure what exactly it does, but it moves them around at random; they are stationary
      after this but they still attack. 0002 - 0019 and 0022 - 0025 does the same, it seems,
      as does 0200, 0300, 0500 and 0600.
      This might change the movement of the Dragon Sisters somewhat; it's possible to have them
      move in a clockwise elliptical direction
0001: they stop moving in a clockwise direction
0020: they appear, starts boss fight animations. They move in a clockwise circular direction.
0100: they start quickly moving in a clockwise direction again
0400: they slowly begin moving in a clockwise direction
1000: death animation; this deletes them. Even in this state, however, they deal contact
      damage.
Code:
0000: resets position (as does 0010)
0001: freeze frame in mid-air
0020: stationary, with smoke
0030: falls a short distance; after that it remains still with smoke; it won't fall beyond
      Y:0030 however, and this doesn't destroy blocks
0100: starts boss fight animations regardless of position
0500: death animations; falls (and kills) and destroys seven specific tiles (between X:0007
      Y:0014 and X:0013 Y:0014). It will fall a little futher than Y:0030 though; any contact
      with it, even from the side, deals 127 damage
Code:
0000: resets Ironhead to normal
0001: freezes it; still deals damage and can still be killed; seems to prevent those fish from
      spawning
1000: death animation
(Note: appears as though just having it as the room boss spawns it; its Y co-ordinate seems to
follow the player's so testing this was hard. Also, not sure how the check for a no-damage
victory goes, unless the Generator - Ikachan entity does that if ANP'd.)
Code:
0000: turns Monster X invisible? (except for the wheels) after BOA0010'd it will slide in the
      direction it was moving previously. If using BOA0010 after it, it looks weird
0001: makes Monster X appear (if the boss bar is visible, it will look like Monster X is very
      damaged); after BOA0010'd it will slide in the direction it was moving previously; using
      this while Monster X's shutter is open will make it look weird, but this will restore the
      green things that fire at you
0010: start its boss animations; if done after the four green things are destroyed, it won't
      be restored. 0011, 0100, 0200 does this as well.
0012: opens its eyes (even if the shutter is closed)
0300: opens its shutter and starts boss fight patterns. 0400 does this too.
0600: opens its shutter and acts as though it no longer has those four green things; those missile
      fish will appear and it starts boss fight patterns, continuing as normal depending on its HP
      and the green things.
1000: instant death
1001: screen shakes, smoke, then it just turns into a giant cat (without the explosion)
(I'm not seeing anything for the many large explosions when Monster X is normally killed)
Code:
0000: resets its position and makes it a background object, essentially
0001: freezes frames (as does 0002 - 0019, 0021 - 0026)
0020: appears and starts boss fight patterns. Use it again and weirdness ensues - Omega will
      go higher than it should, though when it goes back down, it will appear at normal height.
      If you do this again when he starts jumping, he will remain jumping, rather than go
      back to its default state of hiding in the sand. However, he will still come out of the
      sand (or thin air, or whatever the case may be).
      On death, it is deleted.
0050: immediately attacks using its first phase attack; starts boss fight patterns
0150: death animation (not used in the script itself, strangely)
Code:
0000: freezes sprite in current frame, slides in direction it was moving in when BOA'd. The
      same applies to 0002 - 0014, 0016 - 0019 and 0021 - 0029.
0001: moves sprite to ~ X:0033 Y:0004 in an inactive, motionless state. Mini-cores are also
      motionless.
0015: activates the first face, like in the cutscene in vanilla Cave Story (with smoke).
      Cannot be damaged though. Slides in direction it was moving in when BOA'd.
0020: activates the first face, starts boss fight patterns, using 0001 will make the mini-cores
      move around a bit weird when using 0020 again. Also spawns those semi-solid mini-cores
      (the ones that you can jump on) from the right; any other BOA will make those stop
0500: death animation; can cause weirdness if BOA'd during the animation (like being partially
      off-screen when BOA0020'd). If the animation finishes playing, the Undead Core is entirely
      deleted; you'd probably have to re-enter the map to be able to BOA it again. This destroys
      all mini-cores as well.

There's probably going to be a few errors; it's not perfect, but for now, it's probably better than nothing. =)

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2015 at 2:29 AM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Useful.
I can't wait to utilize these.

Jan 30, 2015 at 3:26 AM
Off-screen redemption arc
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
We have needed this for millennia. Thank you.

Jan 30, 2015 at 4:57 AM
thinks dogs are cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
i don't think saying it three times will help further your point, portal
nonetheless thank you kim

Jan 30, 2015 at 5:50 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Thanks, that will be usefull.

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:40 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
First post has been updated with a few more possible values for the Dragon Sisters, Monster X and Omega.

Which also led to weirdness, so I most likely managed to slip up and cause a lot of chaos.
How so?

Omega was in mid-air. Nothing weird, since it's already mentioned.

Dragon Sisters, well, getting them to the center of the screen was possible. (After they nearly got deleted from their death animation.)

In Monster X's case... two things.
The first? Despite defeating it, no death animation. It kept on firing those missile fish things. Even after its supposed "death" (which kept it on-screen and still firing missile fish).
The second would be... easier to post a pic of it, than to describe it.
p193404-0-130011512113815872.png
I honestly have absolutely no idea what the heck happened there

I'll probably have to investigate that when I have time, though I suspect it might've been related to BOA0008 (which, if it was, means it actually has an effect other than "nothing").

Jan 30, 2015 at 1:42 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Kim Tyranto said:
First post has been updated with a few more possible values for the Dragon Sisters, Monster X and Omega.
Which also led to weirdness, so I most likely managed to slip up and cause a lot of chaos.
How so?

Omega was in mid-air. Nothing weird, since it's already mentioned.

Dragon Sisters, well, getting them to the center of the screen was possible. (After they nearly got deleted from their death animation.)

In Monster X's case... two things.
The first? Despite defeating it, no death animation. It kept on firing those missile fish things. Even after its supposed "death" (which kept it on-screen and still firing missile fish).
The second would be... easier to post a pic of it, than to describe it.
p193404-0-130011512113815872.png
I honestly have absolutely no idea what the heck happened there

I'll probably have to investigate that when I have time, though I suspect it might've been related to BOA0008 (which, if it was, means it actually has an effect other than "nothing").
It actually looks pretty cool.

And thank you this is a HUGE help.

Jan 30, 2015 at 5:29 PM
Off-screen redemption arc
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
This is very awesome.

(Also, I didn't mean to say that three times, no clue why that happened...)