PIXEL ANSWERS: "Why did the Egg Corridor explode?"

Apr 12, 2014 at 9:09 AM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
The above question was the title of theory threads earlier. I always thought the Doctor blew it up so he'd prevent escape from the island by the dragons. Others had other theories. Anyway there is the answer on the BBS now.

> Dear Pixel, Cave Story is cool I bought the wii version too, thank you.
> One question I never understood: Why did the Egg Corridor explode?
> Looking forward to your upcoming games, Anna
thank you.
it's old machine trouble.
The reason why is this in "Theories" is that it opens up new questions and theories. For example if the dragon incubator is an "old machine" why cannot we see hatched, adult dragons? Was it built by the island's earlier infabitants - and why? Etc....

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:34 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I think Pixel was getting sort of tired of people asking him about things in a game he made so long ago, so he just made something up on the spot. One of the reasons this wasn't explained was that it was supposed to be left to our imagination, right?

Apr 12, 2014 at 1:34 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This is probably the best of the answers he's given, because it leaves room for interpretation. I'm still fond of the idea that the Doctor ans Misery brought the Core through there.

Apr 12, 2014 at 2:00 PM
Professional Whatever
Whyyyy do people ask him this shit
Pretty sure the last time that happened misery died

Apr 12, 2014 at 2:10 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Bringing the Core through there would fit/make sense with all the destruction, but it wouldn't really cause an 'explosion' like the robot said. And Misery teleported it straight to the Doctor's lab, didn't she? It looked like that from the animation in the core room.

Apr 12, 2014 at 2:37 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
I didn't subscribe to the Core theory, but it's nice that this new explanation doesn't kill it completely while providing new insight of its own. All of his answers are probably on the spot, of course, but this one was more graceful than his others. Good job, Pixel. ^_^

Still, I wish people would stop asking him things like that...but knowing how fans work, they probably won't...

Apr 12, 2014 at 4:43 PM
Been here way too long...
I thought it was heavily implied that either (a) The Doctor did it because he's entering his endgame and doesn't want people escaping, or (b) It was a result of Kazuma hatching Egg 00.

Apr 12, 2014 at 5:46 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Yeah, pretty sure it was Kazuma messing around in there.

Apr 12, 2014 at 7:00 PM
Based Member
edward18 said:
Yeah, pretty sure it was Kazuma messing around in there.
That's what I've been lead to believe. As for how exactly I think that happened, Nighth made a little cartoon a while back that illustrates it much better than I could:
p170325-0-tumblrmpear5f4ju1qgomego11280.png

p170325-1-tumblrmpear5f4ju1qgomego21280.png

p170325-2-tumblrmpear5f4ju1qgomego31280.png

p170325-3-tumblrmpear5f4ju1qgomego41280.png

Apr 12, 2014 at 9:49 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I'm still pretty sure it was caused by Quote and Curly killing the core (briefly). The whole island shakes and/or maybe even falls for a short period of time when that happens, which could be enough to perhaps cause some "old machine trouble" in the egg corridor.

Apr 12, 2014 at 11:55 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
There ARE a buncha dragons in there after you killed the guy who was looking over the corridor.

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:49 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I never really thought of why the Egg Corridor exploded. I assumed Misery did it for some reason. Probably doesn't make much sense, but I didn't really care.

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:47 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I agree with Matt. It may be a simple lack of maintenance after the Professor died or Igor died/turned. The explosion would have broken the eggs open and would have destroyed the soft jelly of the Dragons' eyes. The pain and blindness would cause them to lash out at everything. Not so sure about the sisters though. Maybe a Human needs to be the first thing a Sky Dragon sees on birth to be docile.

Jul 4, 2014 at 10:08 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
trickybilly said:
The above question was the title of theory threads earlier. I always thought the Doctor blew it up so he'd prevent escape from the island by the dragons. Others had other theories. Anyway there is the answer on the BBS now.

The reason why is this in "Theories" is that it opens up new questions and theories. For example if the dragon incubator is an "old machine" why cannot we see hatched, adult dragons? Was it built by the island's earlier infabitants - and why? Etc....
With the core 'janked' up, the island started shaking. Remember that? (EDIT) Perhaps I wasn't helpful enough. It probably started an earthquake which made the egg corridor look like that.

Sep 2, 2014 at 3:09 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
trickybilly said:

I looked through Pixel's BBS or whatever after finding this theory. I'm pretty sure he's just saying whatever to satisfy people's non-stop questions about Cave Story. I mean I think he still loves cave story seeing as how it's his most sucessful game, but I'm sure he really does get tired of people constantly asking for a sequel or answers to unanswered questions/theories about the game

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Why did the Egg Corridor explode?
"Old machine trouble"
"Old machine trouble" = Quote with a Missile Launcher

"Oh wow Missiles! I'm going to level up this new gun for the next battle, and collect ammo by shooting all the things flying around. Look at the explosions at lvl 3! Whoooa. What's inside this egg? What's this computer do? Beep beep boop bop! FORCEFIELD STABLIZATION DEACTIVATED. Horray! I can proceed!"

I can just see the cracks forming as Quote passes by.

Maybe I exaggerate, but Quote DID find a Missile Launcher. There HAS to be some connection. Volatile old machines don't appreciate missiles.

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:21 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I would have thought that "old machine trouble" meant exactly that. It was old, everyone involved in maintaining it was dead (Igor and the Professor), and it stopped working, but didn't do so gracefully.

Igor's death (or recent turning) is the connection, after that it was a matter of time before the machines failed.

The missile launcher makes no sense in my case because I just about never use the missile launcher, yet the Egg Corridor is still destroyed on the return trip.

Sep 12, 2014 at 11:03 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I can't really defend against not using it. I figured it was one of those, "you're expected to try it, so it's canon", things. Just because you actually chose to do things differently, the end story still expects it.

Though, I don't find Cave Story very guilty of this mechanic now that I try to come up with an example... The only instance, that comes to mind... After Sakamoto completes the rocket, ignore the rocket, and damage glitch your way up to the top without using it. It will still show up in the credits illustrations as if you used it though.
But that requires a glitch so....

I'm only half serious about damage to the lab from Quote contributing to the problem. Though, if there is some volatile gas (like those exploding gas clouds), and a single miss from Quote happens to damage a pipe... It might only be a matter of time before something triggers an explosion (like an earthquake) without Igor's maintenance.
Just another "what if"... scenario :p

Sep 13, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Based Member
X-Calibar said:
I can't really defend against not using it. I figured it was one of those, "you're expected to try it, so it's canon", things. Just because you actually chose to do things differently, the end story still expects it.

Though, I don't find Cave Story very guilty of this mechanic now that I try to come up with an example... The only instance, that comes to mind... After Sakamoto completes the rocket, ignore the rocket, and damage glitch your way up to the top without using it. It will still show up in the credits illustrations as if you used it though.
But that requires a glitch so....
That, and the credits showing Quote with the blade when fighting Misery even if you trade it for the Nemesis, with this one obviously not being a glitch. But yeah, I think it's unreasonable to assume that Cave Story is guilty of this mechanic when making theories seeing how scarcely such errors show up in the game.

X-Calibar said:
Though, if there is some volatile gas (like those exploding gas clouds), and a single miss from Quote happens to damage a pipe... It might only be a matter of time before something triggers an explosion (like an earthquake) without Igor's maintenance.
Just another "what if"... scenario :p
That's an interesting theory. Still, it's possible to do a pacifist run and not miss any shots when fighting Igor.

Sep 13, 2014 at 2:54 AM
Professional Whatever
Faulty machinery is probably what lead to the corrupted dragons, which likely in turn destroyed the surrounding area. So instead of everything just exploding from old computers some dumb baby dragons fucked around and tore a hole in the place.