What happens to the island?

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:19 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
So in the ending where you get away with Sue , it shows the island falling to the earths surface , and it show all the different areas rumbling. But then in the credits it shows balrog helping out at the labyrinth clinic. So what ends up happening to the island?

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:32 AM
leader of the meme team feat. tom, snaf and polad
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
It probably takes a significant amount of damage, but maybe isn't...destroyed? Structurally it's probably a mess and alot of things probably caved in, and the castle on the surface is probably rubble, but depending on how high the island was before it fell, it could possible survive (although the cloudy skyline makes me think it was pretty high).

As long as enough of it survived for some people to be hurt but not dead and for the labyrinth to be mostly intact, then it's reasonable for Balrog to still be helping people after it crashes, I guess. So I guess the answer is: The island is probably extremely fucked up, but not...completely destroyed?

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:48 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I don't know, actually. I think the collision may have ravaged the Surface and crushed or destroyed some areas of the Island, especially the lower half. And a lot of humans and Mimiga would have died, at least. Maybe the Labyrinth was left mostly intact due to being at the Island's center and being...the most protected, I guess? Balrog would be there to help take care of the wounded from the incident, which must indicate that Ballos really would die from an Island collision...

Welcome, by the way!

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:07 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
But wait, if the island just hit the surface, it would have to be destroyed due to the force of the impact. It is a whole island, after all, so it would be falling rather fast since it weighs so much. If there was a crater or something for it to fall into then maybe, but otherwise, I just don't see how that's possible.

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:46 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You don't really understand the mechanics of the island falling, do you?
From what I've seen, the most commonly accepted theory on why the island falls is like this:
The island has a natural charge of +1 gravity, because of, well, gravity.
Jenka has a charge of -1, as she uses magic to make it float.
Ballos has a charge of +1, as he uses magic to make it fall.
The core then has a charge of -1, as it has some sort of mechanic to make the island float.
This all adds up to a charge of 0, making it rest immobile.
Once the Core is destroyed, the charge goes to +1. This makes the island fall.
You would assume that Jenka would not be making a difference here, as it's two forces pulling the island downwards at once against only one pushing it up. However, once the island hits terminal velocity, as it normally would, the other downwards force is doing effectively nothing. This means that Jenka can slow the descent considerably, perhaps even enough to prevent the island's complete destruction.

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:36 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I figure it just gets destroyed and the credits pictures are just humorous pictures.

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:11 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Dunc2403 said:
You don't really understand the mechanics of the island falling, do you?
From what I've seen, the most commonly accepted theory on why the island falls is like this:
The island has a natural charge of +1 gravity, because of, well, gravity.
Jenka has a charge of -1, as she uses magic to make it float.
Ballos has a charge of +1, as he uses magic to make it fall.
The core then has a charge of -1, as it has some sort of mechanic to make the island float.
This all adds up to a charge of 0, making it rest immobile.
Once the Core is destroyed, the charge goes to +1. This makes the island fall.
You would assume that Jenka would not be making a difference here, as it's two forces pulling the island downwards at once against only one pushing it up. However, once the island hits terminal velocity, as it normally would, the other downwards force is doing effectively nothing. This means that Jenka can slow the descent considerably, perhaps even enough to prevent the island's complete destruction.
Point taken. However, it would probably still fall hard enough that most, if not all, of the people still inside the cave would die. This is because, since the cave system is inside the island, they'd be caught between hundreds of tons of rock at both ends and be squashed. So it wouldn't matter much if the island survived because nearly everyone would be dead anyway.

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:45 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
PewPewPew said:
Point taken. However, it would probably still fall hard enough that most, if not all, of the people still inside the cave would die.
Except they didn't.

PewPewPew said:
This is because, since the cave system is inside the island, they'd be caught between hundreds of tons of rock at both ends and be squashed.
Except they weren't.

It did seem that everyone was going to die when the island was falling, but no serious damage was shown in the epilogue scenes. The power room was okay, and Malco was able to activate the other robots. If you save Booster, then he seems to be in one piece, even after having to pass through the Sand Zone to arrive at Jenka's house which is surprisingly unscathed. And while it is entirely possible that some were injured, the Labyrinth doesn't show any real signs of serious damage. I also doubt that those flowers in the Mimiga Village graveyard planted themselves. I think people tend to over hype the amount of damage done to the island when it falls. Also, for all we know, it could have landed on water, which would cushion its fall a bit.

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:21 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
HaydenStudios said:
Also, for all we know, it could have landed on water, which would cushion its fall a bit.
hmm...

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:47 PM
HaydenStudios said:
It did seem that everyone was going to die when the island was falling, but no serious damage was shown in the epilogue scenes.
Yay video-game logic!