Machine gun trade?

Nov 11, 2013 at 2:56 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Why is curly willing to trade her supposed "high quality" machine gun for quote's "thrashed" polar star? I'm assuming that the reason the machine gun is at level 1 when you fight curly is because if you do trade you have to upragade it.

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I think Curly is just trying to be cordial, considering the both of them just became friends. I think the Machine Gun is at level 1 because Curly herself never bothered to upgrade it. Even if she did, it would be de-leveled by the time they finished fighting.

Nov 11, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Curly wanted the Spur for herself, and it was the real reason that the fight between you two had ever started. If Quote hadn't taken the machine gun, she would find some other way.

Curly sees Quote lying unconscious on the platform of the submerged Core room. She laughs, for her selfish mission is complete. Reaching for the gun, she notices that her air tank suddenly disappears, then to reappear on Quotes body. She panics as her own air meter starts to count down from one hundred. She yanks on the air tank, but no avail. Looking up, she see's the face of the holy Amaya-San, whisking away in the late hours of the night. The one who controls her universe had taken her life-line away in favor for Quote. With only 15 left on the counter, she glances at the corner, and to her horror, she sees a tow rope, as the glittering flashes and sparkles die away into being uninteractable. For Quote had decided to not pick the item up, and to seal her fate.

This was the day that the program was against her, and there was no hope for her to escape death.

Nov 11, 2013 at 11:45 PM
"Huzzah!"
Tpcool said:
I think Curly is just trying to be cordial, considering the both of them just became friends.
EnlightenedOne, I don't think curly even knew about the spur. (Although it is funny that the "program" turns against her.) I think Tpcool is right.
It's also possible that maybe she has a crush on quote. (but I could be wrong.)

Nov 12, 2013 at 2:10 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
knuckles5577 said:
EnlightenedOne, I don't think curly even knew about the spur. (Although it is funny that the "program" turns against her.) I think Tpcool is right.
I make jokes.

I… thought this was apparent to everyone.

Nov 12, 2013 at 2:46 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
knuckles5577 said:
Even if Curly just likes Quote as just a friend, though I think otherwise, there's always Chaco for him to be with.

Nov 12, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Personally I believe the Machine Gun trade was because Curly felt guilty because she attacked and tried to kill Quote over something he was never guilty of in the first place.

Nov 12, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Professional Whatever
My memory of the dialogue is fuzzy, but maybe Curly dabbled in gunsmithery. Who knows? Maybe she wanted a new weapon to experiment on.
If I remember correctly she does still have the polar star in the Labyrinth, so maybe she hadn't figured out how to properly mess with it yet. It would explain how she can use a nemesis of her own in Hell - maybe she just modified the polar star.
Of course this is all just speculation, but I think it's an interesting idea.

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:59 PM
War criminal
Though she also does the same thing to the machine gun if you still have the polar star and obtained the Snake or Spur later on.

Nov 12, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
On the subject of her Machine Gun being at lv 1, I think that's because experience crystals represent becoming more proficient at using a weapon. Obviously its bullets don't get bigger just because you're getting better with it, that's just gameplay (which level is "canon" is based on preference).

Curly's Machine Gun is at level 1 and requires charging because of her inexperience with it. This might be just me, but I always saw her as rather less competent at combat then Quote, possibly because of her time taking care of Mimiga softening her besides the obvious inexperience she gets thanks to amnesia. Sure, she likely had to use the gun to stave off the usual Sand Zone fauna, but it's possible she didn't really use it unless necessary.

Quote, on the other hand, has been running around and shooting things almost since waking up while only armed with a simple energy pistol, so he's much more skilled than her. When she teams up with Quote in the labyrinth, her weapon is at lv 3 because she has more experience with it from all the Gaudi and resolve to get her kids back (how sad that that never happens...).

It may be that her Nemesis works as well as it does because, unlike other weapons, it's powerful but also fragile, so if you push it too hard it will temporarily deliver much less punch. Quote is naturally trigger happy and has to be gentler than usual with it, but Curly is used to being more methodical with her shots and using the Nemesis comes naturally for her.

Well, that's my take on it, anyway...

Nov 20, 2013 at 4:07 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I always assumed it was part crush and part guilt.