Corpse Party (Cave Story mod) [WIP]

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:45 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I want to go home, I want to be able to go back.
Introducing: Corpse Party mod.
This is the mod I've been working on for quite some time now. Please note that it's nowhere near finished and the only playable demo is just a bunch of testing and all that.
But hey, you can listen to awesome soundtrack and look at some of my sprite work, and even get a feel of the gameplay this is going to have!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54531437/Corpse%20Party.zip

Currently, I need some help with certain things, like some ASM Hacking.
I would love to be able to show character portraits to the left, to the right and at the center of the screen.
And I feel that this game would look much better with 2x hack, but maybe that's just me.
I also need to decide on the storyline and characters this game is going to have. Should I create my own characters or use the already established ones?

Nov 10, 2013 at 6:08 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I like how you changed the jump height... Gives a different feel to the game.
Art looks good, and it's always a plus to have custom music... (I've only played the CP demo, so don't know the songs.)

Keep it up! I'm interested to see how a Corpse Party game will be as a side scroller...

Nov 12, 2013 at 2:01 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I'm considering nerfing the walkspeed too.
By the way, did you know that you can actualy jump over three-hole gap? It's really fucking hard, though.

Nov 12, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Not the last hole right? If you mean the one where you put boards down... I did that the first time! [fell the second lol]
Love the option to make the bridge.

Hmmm...
I think you've got your work cut out for you, without that added dimension of space to walk around classrooms in a horror setting... I don't think I know any side-scrolling horror games without being able to move up and down too.

You'll have to come up with different ways to put the pressure on, instead of fumbling around exploring...

Nov 12, 2013 at 9:26 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Yeah, that's true.
I'm deciding how would I actually handle the chase scenes. Reskinned gravekeeper? Flags for when he's in the same room as you when you try to hide in a closet/etc.?

Nov 14, 2013 at 4:20 AM
Indie game enthusiast
You could pull a Ao Oni, and when you get into a hiding place, the screen goes black or something, and maybe you can only see a single vertical line of the map. And you have to hope he walks right past you...

Could drive a chase through TSC, like "It's quiet... Should I check to see if he's gone?" YES/NO
If you choose poorly... D:

A normal gravekeeper is easy to escape from... But besides a scripted battle, if you limit the player's jump, and make the Gravekeeper solid or bouncy...
Or for instance, maybe in a corridor with a weak floor.... if you jump too high, you trigger a horizontal event that makes the floor give away or something a moment later; forcing you to not jump ...

Other good chasers might reskinned bats? Or a nest of bats... The kind that fall after you walk past them... They can follow really well in tight corridors, even if it goes up or down... You could work up a really rough chase.

Hmmm... who else... Well, a press that doesn't hurt you would be scary. Like have it skinned to look like part of a roof or something. Then adjust the damage to do minimal. And soon as you walk past... BAM! lol
Many ways to make a good horror. Though, in Corpse Party's case... Hmm...

My guess is scripted scary events would be the best choice...

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:15 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Yeah
Chase Scenes with reskinned grave keeper NPC is my best bet for chases with Yoshikazu or whatever that big brute zombie's name is. (SO MANY GODDAMN YOSHIS)
And if you do get caught by those chasing NPC's, it won't be a goofy explosion or you falling on the floor and game over music. It will be a big bad cutscene with lots of pain and glorious horror.
Although I dunno what can I do with bats, all they could do is look goofy when they chase you around.
Maybe all of the chase sequences will involve a reskinned grave keeper based on who you are being chased by? Probably that.

Anyway, sorry I haven't actually worked on the game for a long time, just lots of different unrelated projects taking in, me being lazy and school.