Timeline

Sep 25, 2013 at 9:29 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I want to make a complete timeline comprising all the events of cave story which take place before cave story the game. Time will be mentioned in years before cave story (BCS).

70 bcs- Ballos lives on the surface and is adored by many

68 bcs- The king becomes jealous of ballos and throws him in prison

58 bcs- Ballos overcome with rage breaks out of prison and destroys everything in one night

58 bcs- Jenka locks ballos in the seal chamber in the floating island

56 bcs- Jenka has been looking after nephew balrog for sometime now and gives birth to misery. She warns misery and balrog to never go to ballos because he is evil

43 bcs- Misery wants to find out about her uncle ballos and gets balrog interested too. As misery learns about ballos she wants to have the power like he did and not the power that jenka taught her. She decides to demand ballos (who she believes to be weak and old) to make her a crown that gives her the power that he has

43 bcs- Ballos makes the crown but curses misery and balrog for their selfishness and desire for power

43- 23 bcs- Numerous people on the island come to learn of the crown and struggle to get it

23 bcs- mikado becomes the demon crown holder and commissions "The professor" to grow sky dragons so that he may take over the surface (The professor is elderly)

23 bcs- The professor meets igor and they become friends

22 bcs- The professor dies and his formula for sky dragon accelerated growth is lost. Igor tries to attempt to work on it on smaller dragons but causes them to swarm out of control. He eats red flowers to defend the eggs as they grow naturally

22 bcs- Momorin sakamoto marries fuyuhiko date (yes I believe that he is the father of kazuma and sue)

17 bcs- kazuma is born

12 bcs- sue is born

12 bcs- Fuyuhiko reads about the demon crown

12 bcs- Fuyuhiko decides that he shall teach kazuma about the demon crown and he shall be his heir.

11 bcs- The hermit gunsmith who secretly repels mikado is kicked off the island

11 bcs- the hermit gunsmith believes that the demon crown is bad and creates quote and curly to destroy it

11 bcs- Kazuma tells momorin about fuyuhiko's plan and she divorces him (I should point out that momorin is a scientist and already knows professor booster because she works with him)

10 bcs- The governments of the surface hear about the demon crown when a space station notices the extreme power coming from it

10 bcs- The governments of surface send robots to seize the demon crown form mikado so that they can control the world. Another one of the government's goals is to prevent the destruction of the surface after they hear about the sky dragon and rabid mimiga plan

10 bcs- The hermit gunsmith goes to the island while hidden with quote and curly. They later become separated

10 bcs- Quote and curly battle mikado and and win thus destroying the castle on the balcony. quote ends up in the water which leads to the first cave while curly brace comes upon the colons who have lost their parents

1 bcs- years past and there is an expedition to the floating island. Fuyuhiko promises that he has gotten over the demon crown because he says it is destroyed however he knows it can't be destroyed unless ballos is killed

1 bcs- The expedition arrives on the island consisting of professor booster, momorin sakamoto, kazuma, sue, itoh, and fuyuhiko date

1 bcs- Fuyuhiko gets the demon crown and wants to get back at kazuma for destroying his marriage.

1 bcs- sue is turned into a mimiga and so is itoh, Kazuma escapes to bushlands after barely fixing the teleporter in the labyrinth. Professor booster is stuck with the gaudi until he can fix the other teleporter in the labyrinth

1 bcs- The doctor proceeds with his plan to get the red flowers and take over the surface. He sends out the red ogre to where mimiga live and kidnaps them. Authur banishes the red ogre and the doctor comes to kill authur because he is very strong. However, authur tries to fight the doctor and king joins in by taking a heroic dose of red flowers (after cooking them). Authur is killed by the doctor and king is presumed dead by the doctor. A funeral service is held for authur where one of the keys is buried in the graveyard and his map system is left in the place where he died.

1 bcs- sue had escaped the doctor through the waterway and landed in mimiga village where she befriends toroko

5 months bcs- The doctor comes looking for sue and takes another mimiga (chie) instead. (chie joins her grandfather in the plantation who was taken earlier with others)

2 days bcs- toroko puts sue in authurs house where she tries looking for kazuma in the egg corridor

quote wakes up and the events of cave story begin

I got some ideas form bombchu link's "sue's story". Other ideas I got from reading things on the forums and some things from the game. I also went to the wiki (yes I know terrible sin but it had the correct info on ballos). If there is any ideas you think are missing please mention it or direct me to another thread.

I think the doctor went after sue because he might have felt that momorin raised kazuma and sue to hate him and after trying to reconcile with sue and her hating him he completely lost almost all affection for sue, kazuma, and momorin. On the balcony kazuma escaped and when he saw sue he unleashed his wrath and turned her into a mimga (maybe to be felt like an outcast as a mimiga as he was an outcast when momorin divorced him).

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:16 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
One problem I see is that the Doctor doesn't reveal his interest in the Demon Crown until they land on the Balcony, where he runs off to grab it.

I'm not certain, but I think that the Doctor held the crown for only several months, not an entire year.

Hermit Gunsmith making Quote and Curly is a fantastic idea, though, although I'm pretty sure he doesn't recognize Quote when you go to get the Spur.

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I feel that there are a lot of things wrong with this timeline that contradict what's mentioned in Cave Story and just don't make sense.

deltaeon said:
70 bcs- Ballos lives on the surface and is adored by many
Cave Story takes place in a technologically advanced age. I think it's unreasonable to assume that people were living in a medieval kingdom only 70 years earlier. It has been believed by many of us that Jenka and Misery are both much older than they look, being able to live much longer than humans. So Jenka could have been alive in that Kingdom with Ballos several centuries earlier.

deltaeon said:
68 bcs- The king becomes jealous of ballos and throws him in prison

58 bcs- Ballos overcome with rage breaks out of prison and destroys everything in one night
I can't prove this, but I felt that it was implied that Ballos' period of inprisonment before letting his magic run wild was a lot shorter than 10 years.

deltaeon said:
56 bcs- Jenka has been looking after nephew balrog for sometime now and gives birth to misery. She warns misery and balrog to never go to ballos because he is evil

43 bcs- Misery wants to find out about her uncle ballos and gets balrog interested too...
I hope you realize that Balrog's referring to Jenka as "Auntie" in the NICALiS translation was just an expression. There is no evidence to suggest that he is Jenka's nephew. I sincerely hope you don't actually think...

deltaeon said:
23 bcs- mikado becomes the demon crown holder
I felt it was implied that Miakid took possession of the crown during the war ten years prior to the events of Cave Story, soon after being faced by Quote and Curly.

deltaeon said:
12 bcs- sue is born

12 bcs- Fuyuhiko reads about the demon crown

12 bcs- Fuyuhiko decides that he shall teach kazuma about the demon crown and he shall be his heir. Sue finds out about this and decides to tell momorin but fuyuhiko blackmails her by telling her that she will suffer if she tells momorin
Being less than a year old, Sue probably wouldn't be capable of figuring out that the Doctor plans to seize the Demon Crown and subsequently plan on telling Momorin.

deltaeon said:
11 bcs- sue tells momorin about fuyuhiko's plan and she divorces him
Again with Sue probably not being able to do what you're theorizing she does by that point. She probably didn't even know what was going on when she was that old. Most humans aren't capable for formulating actual sentences by age 1.

deltaeon said:
I got some ideas form boobuchu's (forgive me if that is wrong) "sue's story".
You could have checked how to spell his name before you submitted this post.

Really, the best way for you to fix this timeline up to its best potential is for you to simply give Cave Story some more playthroughs and pay closer attention to the storyline, something I highly recommend that you do.

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:23 PM
War criminal
Balrog probably could've been an orphan who befriended Misery, but could robots really live for a few centuries?

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:28 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
TLincoln said:
Balrog probably could've been an orphan who befriended Misery, but could robots really live for a few centuries?
Seeing as we're talking about autonomous robots that don't really even need to recharge, yeah probably. Especially if Balrog was well maintained, even assuming he's actually a robot in the first place.

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:46 PM
HaydenStudios said:
I feel that there are a lot of things wrong with this timeline that contradict what's mentioned in Cave Story and just don't make sense.

Cave Story takes place in a technologically advanced age. I think it's unreasonable to assume that people were living in a medieval kingdom only 70 years earlier. It has been believed by many of us that Jenka and Misery are both much older than they look, being able to live much longer than humans. So Jenka could have been alive in that Kingdom with Ballos several centuries earlier.

I can't prove this, but I felt that it was implied that Ballos' period of inprisonment before letting his magic run wild was a lot shorter than 10 years.

I hope you realize that Balrog's referring to Jenka as "Auntie" in the NICALiS translation was just an expression. There is no evidence to suggest that he is Jenka's nephew. I sincerely hope you don't actually think...

I felt it was implied that Miakid took possession of the crown during the war ten years prior to the events of Cave Story, soon after being faced by Quote and Curly.

Being less than a year old, Sue probably wouldn't be capable of figuring out that the Doctor plans to seize the Demon Crown and subsequently plan on telling Momorin.

Again with Sue probably not being able to do what you're theorizing she does by that point. She probably didn't even know what was going on when she was that old. Most humans aren't capable for formulating actual sentences by age 1.

You could have checked how to spell his name before you submitted this post.

Really, the best way for you to fix this timeline up to it's best potential is for you to simply give Cave Story some more playthroughs and pay closer attention to the storyline, something I highly recommend that you do.
I have to disagree with your your first four statements, thats just what I believe. However, your last three made sense about sue and telling momorin. I will have to change that. Yes I could've checked how to bombchu link I will change that. Thank you

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Dunc2403 said:
Part One: The Destruction
Ballos, the good orange-skinned wizard that he was, was helping the people of the kingdom he lived in. The jealous king had Ballos tortured because he was very jealous of the love the people had for Ballos. Ballos went insane, making his magic run wild, making the kingdom ash in less than a night.

Part Two: The Creation
Ballos' sister Jenka locked him away in the Seal Chamber. Jenka has a daughter named Misery. Misery wants more power, so she has her uncle Ballos create the Demon Crown. Misery ends up cursed by the Demon Crown's power.

Part Three: The Unknown
Reigns of Annachponae and Halda. Nothing is currently known about this period of time.

Part Four: The War
Humans on the surface learn of the Demon Crown. They send up armies of Killer Robots being led by Miakid. Quote and Curly are sent up to the island to destroy the Demon Crown. Miakid secures the Demon Crown. Quote and Curly attempt to kill Miakid, iinstead being knocked out and given amnesia due to Miakid's powers. Soon after, Miakid is killed.

Part Four: The Known
A research team consisting of the Sakamotos, Fuyuhiko Date, Itoh, Professor Booster, and possibly others goes up to the island. Date finds the Demon Crown, what he came to the island for, and awakens Balrog and Misery. Date has Misery turn Sue Sakamoto and Itoh into mimigas. Professor Booster and Kazuma Sakamoto are thrown in jail. Date throws Momorin Sakamoto off the island personally, but she survives. Kazuma manages to escape his cell, finding himself somewhere known as Grasstown, and tries to establish a chatroom connection with his sister Sue...
This timeline is the only 100% canon timeline there is. I've removed all the speculation from my original post, making this only an amalgamation of what we know from the game itself. The main problem with your timeline is that it's full of speculation. My timeline, on the other hand, is everything we know, and only what we know. There are obviously some large gaps in my timeline, but when we have no knowledge of it, it's better to leave the holes than to plug them full of speculation.

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:59 AM
Professional Whatever
There's no harm in wondering what could have happened there, though. Not fit for a timeline of course, but still worth discussing.

Sep 27, 2013 at 5:24 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
"boobchu" seriously.... @_@

*faints*

uhh, well. I guess that the timeline is ok, has some holes, but yeah...

boobchu.........

Sep 27, 2013 at 5:36 PM
Bombchu Link said:
"boobchu" seriously.... @_@

*faints*

uhh, well. I guess that the timeline is ok, has some holes, but yeah...

boobchu.........
I almost fainted too when hayden mention that. Sorry about that

Sep 27, 2013 at 6:20 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
deltaeon said:
I almost fainted too when hayden mention that. Sorry about that
Ah, that's fine. It's first, but I'm forgiving. :p

Nov 4, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I have a little question for a little theory: I read here that 'Sandaime' can mean 'Third head'. I just wanted to confirm, is this correct?