Cave Story: Rising Earth v0.1.3

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:35 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Two years have passed since Ballos' defeat. The war for the crown has ended, and the world is at peace. Quote, Curly, and Balrog have been living a quiet life on a mountainside cliff on the Surface. But things are never as they seem, and with the sudden appearance of a new island, a series of events are set into motion that send this era of peace to an abrupt and bitter end. As the earth crumbles beneath their feet, a question begins to rise from within the depths of our heroes' minds: did their war ever truly end? Or was this time of peace merely the calm before the storm - a storm more vicious than anything they ever could have imagined? And so begins a new adventure.

Poster:
Cave_Story_Rising_Earth_Poster_Smaller_Version.png

Screenshots:

p172880-1-cavestoryrisingearthscreenshot.png

p172880-2-cavestoryrisingearthscreenshot3.png

p172880-3-cavestoryrisingearthscreenshot4.png

p172880-4-cavestoryrisingearthscreenshot5.png

Current version (v0.1.3)
Download Link
Released 10-21-13

New to this version:
-Fixed a fairly major bug that would make Kazuma always act as if you had already talked to him, regardless of whether you had or not.

Coming soon:
-Cutscene in Sand Zone
-'Fukuro' boss battle

Version history

Version 0.1.2
Download Link
Released 10-9-13
New to this version:
-Access to the first part of the renovated Sand Zone area
-Changed the logo to read "Cave Story: Rising Earth"
-Bug fixes
-General improvements

Version 0.1.1

Download Link
Released 9-25-13
New to this version:
-Access to the renovated Mimiga Village, which is now nearly twice as big as before
-Further progression of the story

Version 0.1.0
Download Link
Released 9-18-13
New to this version:
-Finished the series of cutscenes leading up to the 'Volcanic Caverns' area
-Added the 'Volcanic Caverns' area

Version 0.0.1

Download Link
Released 8-27-2013
New to this version:

-Mod created
-Added the 'Cliffside House' location
-Added the 'Cliff's Edge' location
-Completed the first series of cutscenes

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:36 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
First reply! I'm trying it now!

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:48 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Pyroaid said:
First reply! I'm trying it now!

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:49 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"

Ok, wow. That was actually kind of...

nice.

Multiple ways to start the events that happen, and I like the tiles for the cliff side.

other then the incredible shortness to it, I liked it.

In the first room you should throw a <FON to keep the screen from running around.

(just make sure to make a <FOM a part of the door's script when leaving)

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:51 AM
And the coding was perfect! No spotted mistakes! I NEED moarez of this stuff!!!

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:56 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Bombchu Link said:
Ok, wow. That was actually kind of...

nice.

Multiple ways to start the events that happen, and I like the tiles for the cliff side.

other then the incredible shortness to it, I liked it.

In the first room you should throw a <FON to keep the screen from running around.
(just make sure to make a <FOM a part of the door's script when leaving)
Thank you! And I apologize for how short it is. Getting the game started took quite a while, and as such, this first version ended up being very brief. I intend for the next version to feature the game's first full-sized area and actual combat, so that should add quite a bit of gameplay time to it. And I appreciate the tip! I'll be sure to fix that the next time I work on this.

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:16 AM
Don't forget to add ludicrous difficulty like the other ones.

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:39 AM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
metalsonic71 said:
Don't forget to add ludicrous difficulty like the other ones.
Stop...

Just stop before you get banned from ranting.

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:59 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Wow, even though it was really short. That was perfect! Keep up the good work!

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:20 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Here's a new screenshot showing off the next area, Volcanic Caverns, which I am currently working on.
p172890-0-cavestoryrisingearthscreenshot2.png

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I didn't decide to play this one at the time of release because there are so many of these types of mods, but I did decide to play it now. I have to say, even with what little there is of it now, I'm kind of impressed. Everything was fluent, and I spotted no glitches or flaws (except one). The storytelling didn't bore me to death like some mods do, although I feel that if the next area has just as much (or even more), it might be too much. That's just me though, unless it's really interesting or a lot is going on, I get tired of stories very fast. The one thing I did find a little odd was after answering "No" to Curly asking me if I was ready, the camera was locked in position and I could move to the right as much as I wanted to. I feel I shouldn't be able to do that. Besides that, I like it. I'll definitely be looking at future updates.

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:35 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Tpcool said:
I didn't decide to play this one at the time of release because there are so many of these types of mods, but I did decide to play it now. I have to say, even with what little there is of it now, I'm kind of impressed. Everything was fluent, and I spotted no glitches or flaws (except one). The storytelling didn't bore me to death like some mods do, although I feel that if the next area has just as much (or even more), it might be too much. That's just me though, unless it's really interesting or a lot is going on, I get tired of stories very fast. The one thing I did find a little odd was after answering "No" to Curly asking me if I was ready, the camera was locked in position and I could move to the right as much as I wanted to. I feel I shouldn't be able to do that. Besides that, I like it. I'll definitely be looking at future updates.
Thank you very much! I'm glad that you enjoyed what I have released so far! And don't worry, the story gets much more interesting very soon. I wanted to create a beginning that gets you to the action quickly. There's one more cutscene after you take off with Balrog, which shouldn't take too long, and then you'll get to a fairly-lengthy area (somewhere around the size of the hidden version of Last Cave) called Volcanic Caverns, which I showed a sneak-peak of just before your post. And don't worry, I'm aware of this glitch and I've already fixed it. I discovered it shortly after posting this thread, but I decided that it wasn't worth the trouble of updating it to fix a minor glitch, so I decided to just wait until the next update for that. Thanks again!

Sep 10, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Sep 10, 2013 at 2:37 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
andwhyisit said:
I kinda felt like contributing something so here's a sky bg that I threw together a while back for a mod that never got anywhere and a half attempt at freshening up the weapon icons:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nlcx4l6uglxx070/csregfx.zip
Thank you very much! The sky background appears to be an edit of the "fog" background, and I don't want to use any edits in this mod (unless, of course, I am representing an altered version of something - for example, the difference between "Egg Corridor" and "Egg Corridor?"). However, I may end up editing the lower half to remove the part that is from the "fog" background. And I do really like the improved weapon icons, and will definitely consider using them! Again, thank you!

Sep 11, 2013 at 3:40 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
Turbocharge said:
Here's a new screenshot showing off the next area, Volcanic Caverns, which I am currently working on.
p172890-0-cavestoryrisingearthscreenshot2.png

Ok, that honestly looks..........AMAZING. I like the background as well it looks good!
Someone knows how to go for professional quality!

Those blocks remind me of diamond blocks in Minecraft just a little

Good luck with your mod man, Your doing awesome

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:09 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Here are some more screenshots of Volcanic Caverns! I fixed an issue with the color palette, so the background looks a lot nicer now.

Screenshot 1:
p172880-2-cavestoryrisingearthscreenshot3.png

Screenshot 2:

p172880-3-cavestoryrisingearthscreenshot4.png

Screenshot 3:
p172880-4-cavestoryrisingearthscreenshot5.png

Screenshot 4 (I showed the map in this screenshot to show how far I am in making this area, and to give you all an idea of the size of it):
p172897-3-cavestoryrisingearthscreenshot6.png

andwhyisit said:
Ah, well in that case I replaced the lower half:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/a474wcvl3w3jmzk/bkFog.zip
Oh, thank you! This is very impressive! I appreciate it!

Bombchu Link said:
Ok, that honestly looks..........AMAZING. I like the background as well it looks good!
Someone knows how to go for professional quality!

Those blocks remind me of diamond blocks in Minecraft just a little

Good luck with your mod man, Your doing awesome
Thank you very much! I'm really glad that you like how things are going! I'm surprised that you liked the background in that screenshot - I thought it was ugly at the time, due to a color palette mishap. It's fixed now, though, as you can see in the images above!

Sep 26, 2013 at 6:23 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
This mod is sooooo cool!
I really liked playing it, I'll be waiting for a new version of this awesome mod.

Sep 27, 2013 at 5:34 AM
I took a look at this and so far, it seems very nice. Like it could be a possibly Cave Story 2. One thing that confused me, was the...

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

second island thing. I thought the volcanic caverns were a dungeon/cave's of the second island. I didn't realize they were still on the original island.

Very well done so far, only thing I have to say, is that the majority of Sandaime (The mimiga in the plant) didn't have very much changed dialogue. (That, and there's an extra line break, making it look weird.) Another thing, is that Mr. Little is still there. I assume you left him there on purpose, or have no clue how to remove him.
God, after seeing the name for "War Memorial", I broke down inside a tad. (Toroko + King Scene man, always get's me...)
Minor Bug: I BELIEVE after you teleport in for the first time into Arthur's House and talk to Kazuma, Curly and Balrog both will teleport in as part of the cutscene. HOWEVER, if you save and restart, they will both be gone. Going into Mimiga Village and re-entering Arthur's House will make them appear again. This also occurs if you decide to go back into the volcanic caverns via teleport and teleport back in. (Curly + Balrog will be gone, however Kazuma is still there.) Luckily, Kazuma does not repeat the cutscene dialogue. He just says "Sorry, that's all I know right now. You should head over to the Sand Zone." and it acts like normal.

There was something that made me laugh though. It was one of the Shovel Brigade Mimiga's in the residence. The one with the Fireplace.